CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
COCKYWOOD
b381l
spareparts
uscgamecocks88
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8393)
Sindarius Thornwell (903)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (571)
Best Child Acting Pe (549)
Well gameday just go (449)
Happy Birthday, Coac (399)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (368)
Your most famous twi (271)
South Carolina @ Aub (237)
Unsung Hero (228)
Connor Mitch
Name a Gamecock
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Hope Springs Eternal
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Happy Birthday, Coach Spu
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2015 - Auden Tate
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Off. next year

Have a thread looking at D.
Let's look at the O.

SKill wise, should be very good.
Very deep and proven at RB.
Have 5 proven guys at WR with Roland, Byrd, Ellington, Jones and Cooper, with potential of Jeffery, Kwinton Smith and Jody Fuller.
Need to include the TEs more, who were running wide open the entire Clemson game.

O-line I think will be good...not great, but solid.

QB is the key. If the DT that played against Clemson and Michigan shows up, this offense will be solid. If the DT that shows up against Central Florida, we will struggle.

Thompson has to improve his accuracy and consistency. He has the leadership.

Three wild cards to watch in the spring will be David Williams, Jody Fuller and Kelvin Rainey. Those three have the talent to be very good and add more explosive players to this offense...especially Rainey.

If all this comes together and everyone improves, this offense could be one of the best, if not the best in school history.

Projected chart
(assuming none of our draft eligible juniors leave)
QB: Thompson, Nosovitch, Mitch, Orth
RB: Davis, Wilds, Carson, Williams, Smith
LT: Robinson, Zandi, Matulis
LG: Cann, B. Stadnick, Stanley
C: C. Stadnick, Knott, King
RG: Waldrop, Sport, Park
RT: Shell, Gibson, Rogers
TE: Anderson, Adams, Rainey, Owens
WR: Roland, Jeffery, Whitehurst
WR: Ellington, Cooper, Fuller
WR: Byrd, Jones, K. Smith

*I'm thinking Kendric Salley and KJ Brent transfer for playing time.
Also think we move Waldrop to RG. To me, Waldrop looks more like a guard at 315 pounds. Plus, it allows DJ Park another year to learn the system and get in shape.

*Jamari Smith may move back to corner, depending on signing day. With such little depth at CB returning, we are going to have to depend on a freshman, or move players to the position.

While we still ahve the bowl game, what are you guys looking forward to in the spring? Projections on who plays..any position changes.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly
Default Re: Off. next year

The offense next year will be high scoring and free wheeling. One or two turnovers a game will be normal but so will 4 TD passes and 50 points by the offense. DT may break some single game TD records and yardage records by a USC QB.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

It should be the best offense in school history, and that's not unrealistic.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

its wrong to put the ucf first half and mizzou bad 3 quarters completely on dylan. yes he wasnt sharp and he looked average at best over those stretches, but the key to our offense is our backs. we wont have the kind of consistency we desire if theyre not involved. ucf first half we barely gave mike the ball and we couldnt score. mizzou first half we could never get mike going.

its similar when connor is in there. tennessee 3rd quarter mike gets plenty of carries we score two td's. 4th quarter we pretty much forget we even have rb's until the final series of the game and we do nothing on offense. same thing in the florida and clemson games, if we're not running the ball effectively or sticking with the run, we look bad.

next year we're either going to be good enough up front to overpower everyone or we're going to need to be versatile enough in the running game to switch from zone read to i formation and be able to test defenses on the perimeter as well as the interior or the offense will struggle in spurts like it has this season.

like you said scheming with the tight ends more should allow us to get into more mismatches whether we're running the football or passing it. go into some two tight end sets then flex those tight ends out wide. see if theyre going to cover them with lb's or safeties and exploit those matchups.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Gotta have both OTs back to make the whole thing go.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

We need our tackles to make the next big step in pass blocking to be an elite offense. They were decent but they were constantly beaten by smaller, faster DEs. That would be the next step to having elite pass protection. Connor hid (and somewhat intensified by holding the ball too long) our deficiencies at OT. I don't think Dylan will be as mobile to do the same.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Spurminator
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 550
Spurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his claws

some players from the offense turned in evaluation paperwork first of the week....should have results in approximately ten days

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Spurminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
airborne09
4-Star

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

I think as long as Dylan still has his confidence he will be fine.He releases the ball much quicker.I think as some have said the offense needs to be fully used with the talent.Hardly ever is the ball let go to a tight end so when they go out there's not much concern by the defense to fully cover them.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

We're gonna have a great WR corp next year.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I'm interested in seeing incoming freshmen, Shaq Davidson. I also think Shaq Roland and Mike Davis will have big years in 2014

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell

Am I the only person that thinks Connor Mitch will be the starter before next year is over
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Not knockin Dylan in any way I'm just not sure hes the best qb on the roster
Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scfan2605 View Post
Am I the only person that thinks Connor Mitch will be the starter before next year is over
nope you're just in the wrong thread. try the one discussing if DT is the lock for next year's starter.

sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
nope you're just in the wrong thread. try the one discussing if DT is the lock for next year's starter.
my bad new to this didn't see it
Old 12-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Can someone, anyone, please explain to me how Dylan will not be the best QB on the roster next year even though he is the only one on the roster who will have taken any form of a significant snap in college?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Can someone, anyone, please explain to me how Dylan will not be the best QB on the roster next year even though he is the only one on the roster who will have taken any form of a significant snap in college?
Sometimes skill trumps experience, but not very often unless the skill is extraordinary. Most on the board are hoping we have another gem in the rough like Connor to step up.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

I'm so excited about seeing David Williams play.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

We're going to have attrition with several of the OL/WR and possibly some RB/TE as well. Anyone who is 3 years in but not on the 2 Deep at Season's End is going to probably get processed.

Quite possibly some other 2 year players who aren't on the 3 deep as well.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

QB- Thompson
I'll be honest, I'm not sold on Thompson as our QB. He was very good last year when called upon, however this year I did not see the same quality of throws to make me feel positive about his future. When he threw the football it looks like the ball is filled with helium. I love Dylan for his contributions to this program, but I hope he gets some good competition in the spring and perhaps beaten out. I think this position takes a big step back next year.

RB- Mike Davis
Mike should be just as solid as this year. B. Wilds, Shon Carson, Jamari Smith, and David Williams make this a talented and crowded stable of RBs. This should be one of the better RB corps in the SEC and in the country.

WR- Bruce Ellington, Damiere Byrd, Shaq Roland
Solid group of WRs. Backup Nick Jones is also decent, and Pharoh has potential. Shaq Davidson should also be in the mix next year. Overall a pretty good group.

OL- Robinson, Cann, Waldrop, Patrick, and Shell
Hopefully nobody decides to leave early (I'm looking at you Robinson). If we keep these five we should have a pretty solid group, probably top half of the conference. The run-blocking has GOT to improve though, it was very poor in the second half of the season. Part of that can certainly be attributed to playing some very good DLs in the 2nd half, but we're going to play good DLs more often than not in the SEC. I look for some improvement next year, hopefully in run blocking, as long as we can hang on to these guys.

TE- Anderson
Busta and Jerrell are talented but underused. I can't imagine they won't see more looks next year.

Overall, the offense should be more seasoned and improve at RB, OL, and TE. However, QB is a big question mark in my eyes. Honestly I think we'll see a big dropoff at QB and our offense will struggle at times because of it.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

If he's 100% healthy Shaq Davidson will make an impact next year.