CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
acejrock
NJCocky14
roosterdude21
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (7906)
Super-Efficient Ax (310)
South Carolina @ Aub (271)
BREAD (229)
Starz Black Sails (158)
Dress shirt help (148)
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Josh Cunningham Power For
2016 - Greg Little
2015 - Auden Tate
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Will Spurrier risk starting Mitch in game 1 next year?

Why all the lack of confidence in DT?

How many of you were on here last Spring saying DT should start instead of Shaw?
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

If Mitch starts over DT game one then we have one hell of a freshman QB because it ain't happening.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Wow, not even through the final week of the season and we've got all of these "offseason" type threads.

Mitch is Spurrier's golden boy but DT and BN will have shots to step up.

Shaw was damn near close to being that, but the mistakes he made was due to his inability to consistently throw in pressure situations (and don't throw the Mizzou 2012 stat at me either, I'm not dissing Shaw one bit).

Mitch will give Spurrier his USC version of Danny Wuerffel.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
Gamecock John
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Gamecock John has feathers coming inGamecock John has feathers coming in

Spurrier has said repeatedly that he will start the best QB. While I love DT and his attitude and work ethic, I am sure that if Mitch performs better in the spring, he will get the nod. Same goes for Noso and Orth. Spurrier doesn't give a crap about grooming. He wants to win the freaking east and SEC championship. You can rest assured that the best QB will be on the field.
Gamecock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Where have you seen Mitch play? Ive seen him play at practice and in one game. I really don't see how anyone can say what you are saying. How old are you?
Old enough to know that theres a chance that Thompson might not be the best qb on our roster
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock John View Post
Spurrier has said repeatedly that he will start the best QB. While I love DT and his attitude and work ethic, I am sure that if Mitch performs better in the spring, he will get the nod. Same goes for Noso and Orth. Spurrier doesn't give a crap about grooming. He wants to win the freaking east and SEC championship. You can rest assured that the best QB will be on the field.
so you think if Orth shows the best in the spring and summer, then he should start.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Football season can't get here soon enough.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #28
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
so you think if Orth shows the best in the spring and summer, then he should start.
yes?

At least that is what Spurrier says he does.

For what it's worth, I went to the three open practices before this year, I know Mitch was being redshirted - but dang, he had an absolute CANNON of an arm. I'm not a big football scout by any means, but I could tell his velocity was NOTICEABLY better than the other QBs. He didn't connect on every pass, I'm just saying it's probably the best arm on a Gamecock QB that I've seen with my own eyes. Of course, I've only seen Tanneyhill+ in my career as a Gamecock fan.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Why all the lack of confidence in DT?

How many of you were on here last Spring saying DT should start instead of Shaw?
Did you watch the Georgia or Tenn game? Everybody was wondering why Spurrier wouldn't play DT. Both teams had completely shut Connor down and defeat was inevitable but Spurrier refused to play DT. This started people wandering what caused Spurrier to drop DT. Then the Clemson game Spurrier didn't play DT after saying he would but instead he played Pharoah. Fans have every right to think Spurrier won't start DT next year.
It's just logical thinking.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #30
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

I've never been sold on DT.... He skips to many balls and seems to make up his mind presnap where he is goin with the ball ( Mizzou game). Bowl practice and spring ball will help all of our QB
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #31
crockcock
Recruit

Male

crockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurscrockcock has earned his spurs

I would not be surprised actually...good thought!
crockcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
yes?

At least that is what Spurrier says he does.

For what it's worth, I went to the three open practices before this year, I know Mitch was being redshirted - but dang, he had an absolute CANNON of an arm. I'm not a big football scout by any means, but I could tell his velocity was NOTICEABLY better than the other QBs. He didn't connect on every pass, I'm just saying it's probably the best arm on a Gamecock QB that I've seen with my own eyes. Of course, I've only seen Tanneyhill+ in my career as a Gamecock fan.
Yes, Mitch's arm is nfl ready now. In fact he puts more velocity then most QBs in the NFL now. Thats something you really cant change. Your arm doesnt get stronger as you get older or more experience. Beccause its you dont even get your velocity from your arm. Its in yoir complete throwing motion and lower body movement. Same reason elway and marino arms were as strong as they were ever gonna get in collegr. And why peyton manning's arm never got any stronger.

Mitch has a extremely quick throwing motion. Its very compact. He has the strongest arm ive ever seen at USC. Ellis had a cannon too. But he often fired it into the other teams hands. So its not the most impprtant trait. But velocity is the most important physical trait a QB can have. But overall its not the most important. Again, manning doesnt have a cannon. He has a average arm. But he has great anticipation. And makes up fir his lack of arm strength.

So im very excited about mitch.

Also, everyone needs to know this. Distance does not = arm strength. Having a cannon doesnt mean throwing 60 yards. It means being able to throw the ball on a line.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #33
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 47813
CackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPit

Spurrier said last year, when aske who was the most NFL type QB on the team, that it was DT. Or at least something along those lines. I think our offense has to be modified with DT, but SOS has trust in him. Something not easily gained from SOS. Dylan has won some big games for us, but also needed to be bailed out of a few jams. I see a 2 QB system in our future.

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervous

This thread is a joke. Dylan Thompson will be our starter next year. Yes, some other QB's may play along the way but Thompson is our guy. Nos, Mitch, and company will be very talented QB's, But Dylan has proven himself.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #35
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Don't understand why we would have to settle for 8-4 no matter who played. My guess is we will see a lot of QB's play next year. I hope we get the right guy in the game at the right time, so a game doesn't get away from us. But if DT stays healthy, I expect him to get the start each week.

Shaw was a senior this year. He did everything and more throughout his career the coaches asked of him. SOS is loyal to players like this, that's a fact. Dylan will get the opportunity to lead the way next year, but we will have other options if he is performing under par. Knowing he has this opportunity, I expect Dylan to cash in and play like most of us know he can.

Wanting to start the new guy is always the trend, but let's hope the seasoned veteran can lead us to the promised land next year.

#teamdylan
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #36
MPinholster
Walk On

Male

MPinholster has hatched from the shell

Whoever plays the best in the Spring will be the opening day starter.

If whoever that is struggles...they will be replaced.

Remember Shaw won the starting job and then struggled against East Carolina before Garcia came in.

Later on that season, Garcia played poorly enough to lose the job to Shaw again.

Thompson beat Clemson last year.

Thompson came into the Michigan game and helped us get that win as well. He is a very good QB.

BTW Anthony Wright probably had the strongest arm of any USC QB I have watched. He was not terribly accurate, but he could sling it 70 yards down the field.
MPinholster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

If the season started today DT would be the starter and it is not even close.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #38
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

DT is the starter, unless something really goes wrong...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Dylan will be a better QB in the spring, you can bet he's gonna work his ass off during the off-season.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

IMO

Dylan has earned the right to start in 2014 because of what he's done
for this program the past 2 years. He's proven he can win, he's proven
he can move the offense and he's proven this under SEC pressure games
and post season games. No matter how talented Mitch is, you can't
beat results in the heat of battle vs Fresh out of the box (so to speak)

I do think Connor Mitch is the future of the offense and he MIGHT prove
during the season that he is worthy to start. If he's that good, then he
needs to start at whatever point in the season IF ANY, but going into the
season and facing Texas A&M, I would bet the farm that regardless of results
in the Spring game or summer workouts, Spurrier will want a battle tested
vet running the offense vs a First time starter with no game experience.

I expect Dillon to start and finish the season as our starter unless injury
forces Spurrier to make a change. If Mitch is good enough to take the
job at any point during the year, then so be it. He'll have earned it and
should be the starter.