CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
markp_vip
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
4gamecockfb
Lalli25
Thenardier
OscarTheGrouch
Women's bb - Deshiel (651)
Hope Springs Eternal (579)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (496)
Byron the bunny...fe (404)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
How to cut the musta (270)
The #AskEmmert Q& (200)
Shameless self promo (181)
The Kentucky Bourbon (148)
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Larenz Bryant update?
Connor Mitch
Victor Hampton Arrested
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Name a Gamecock
UK's Whitlow to transfer
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default College Athletes

Hey guys, I don't know if I'm violating any rules but if I am sorry; but I just wrote a persuasive speech in my speech class on why college football players should be paid. Ill post it for y'all to see, and I can take some constructive criticism but I mainly want to hear yalls opinions on the subject and if you agree or disagree with my speech. Click on the link of the videos to watch them and the times of the video that I'm going to play for my actual speech are on there. This is the outline

Title: College Football Players: Should They Be Paid

Introduction

I. Attention Getter: Eric Legrand. [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMklSv_VlxE] A nineteen year old; bringing in millions of dollars to Rutgers University. In fact Rutgers in that year made 52 million dollars from just their football team according to ESPN. Eric legrand played on that football team in 2008 when he was paralyzed and will never walk again. Marcus Lattimore [video :07-:31,:50-1:33 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGQr0VhtSg] was the number one running back in the country coming out of high school and twice tore ligaments in his knee costing him millions of dollars from the draft. The team that Marcus Lattimore was on in 2012 brought in 80 million dollars in revenue according to southcarolina.247 sports.
II. Listener Relevance: Many of you if not all of you have watched a college football in your lifetime, and if you enjoy it as much as me you will spend all the money you have to watch your team play
III. Thesis: So today I want to tell you why college football players should be paid money not just scholarships
IV. Preview: I will show you the risks they take playing football, Why scholarships arenít enough, and the revenue football players bring in for the school.

Body

A. First Main Point: The risks college football players take
a. As you saw in the two videos I showed two players; one Eric Legrand, and two Marcus Lattimore both suffered devastating injuries. One was paralyzed and the other tore a main knee ligament, then the next year tore 3 of the 4 main ligaments in one knee and dislocated his kneecap.
b. But the injuries can be worse. A pro football hall of famer Junior Seau received so many concussion throughout his career he developed something called CTE, which is something that develops in the brain from repeated blows to the head and causes impulsivity, forgetfulness, depression, [and] sometimes suicidal ideation according to Dr. Russell Lonser, chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University. Seau committed suicide in 2012 at the age of forty three leaving behind a wife and three kids. Yes playing pro football added to the disease but started while he was in college playing football
Transition: These young adults go through the possibility of these types of injuries to entertain us and bring in more money per year for their school than we will ever make. Yet they only get scholarships

B. Second Main Point: Why Scholarships arenít enough
a. They spend hours on hours a week practicing so they can provide good entertainment for us by winning.
b. With all that time spent practicing they are unable to work or bring in any type of paycheck
c. Most college football players come from a poor family that can barely provide for themselves much less give their kid who plays college football some money so he can buy some stuff for himself

Transition: The argument is invalid to say they get free school so thatís their pay because of the revenue college football players bring in for their school [video 0:00-1:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5oa_rE_80 ]

C. Third Main Point: The revenue college athletes bring in for their school
a. The best College Football program in the United States is the University of Alabama. In state tuition for one year according to Alabama university.edu is 24,606 dollars for in state. Out of State is 39,106. Most of their players are from out of state, so yes they do receive a lot of money from scholarships but, the football team brought in 124.5 million dollars in revenue in 2012.
b. University sell player jerseys for anywhere between 65-90 dollars, for example one of the greatest college football players ever Tim Tebowís jersey mostly contributed to the 6 million dollars the University of Floridaís athletic department made off of selling football Jerseys

Conclusion

I. Thesis Statement: Today, I showed you why college football players should receive more than just scholarships
II. Main Point Summary: I have showed you the risks college football players take for free, why scholarships arenít enough, and the revenue football players bring in
III. Activation of audience response- Maybe next time you watch a college football game, or you hear about a college football player obtain a life altering injury you think about why those young men should be paid
IV. Closure: College football players put their lives on the line week in and week out for our entertainment so maybe the next time you do hear about a major injury you can be the one to step up and explain why they should get paid
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
I will agree with that,but then you have people in the military because of the money not because its their passion. but thanks for the input
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

Quote:
And coming from a kid struggling with college expenses and realize how much tuition can be (anderson university) and making minimum wage I still believe they should receive more
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

If they want to be paid to play sports then they have plenty of other options. We - fans, the people with the money - make them valuable. If we as a nation suddenly decide we don't give a shit about football and that we all will love cricket or jai alai, then it won't be because of this athlete or the other. We created the need, they just fill it.

They get paid what they are worth.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
If they want to be paid to play sports then they have plenty of other options. We - fans, the people with the money - make them valuable. If we as a nation suddenly decide we don't give a shit about football and that we all will love cricket or jai alai, then it won't be because of this athlete or the other. We created the need, they just fill it.

They get paid what they are worth.
So you think it's fair that colleges and universities should be able to make millions on them from various sources and all they get is an education.....how are the players getting their fair share of that. Don't misunderstand, I'm not in favor of them getting rich while being a college student. But I have absolutely no problem with them getting 5-10 k per year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 3683
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

I like the layout but let me offer some tips. Some of it seems to be too far grounded in personal beliefs and opinions and not fact. While I am sure there is a high number of student athletes who dont come from high income homes, you need to be able to provide facts and I dont mean from wikipedia.

You also need to acknowledge the other side of things. You need to address why others feel they shouldnt be paid. Use that as your basis for your paper. You need to be able to acknowledge, address and refute with evidence otherwise it is just an unfounded personal belief paper.

Also, I personally do not think athletes should get paid. I feel this way for many many reasons, the largest being the cost of college, especially private colleges, books, food, dorms, etc. That means no loans. This is even heightened by the fact that as you say, many people come from poor homes= pell grants, more FA, etc. Do I think these athletes get shafted based on how much money they bring in, yeah, they probably do a bit. However, life isnt fair and the rest of us had to pay our college and take out loans, etc.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Your whole argument is focused on football. And that's fine if that's what you want to focus on, but be prepared for people to bring up how unfair or unreasonable it is to only pay players in one sport.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

thanks for the feedback
Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
Jonboy345
Android or die

Male

Jonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talonsJonboy345 has developed his gaff and talons

Title IX won't let it happen unless the University wants to start giving the same benefits to all student athletes.

Most people aren't looking far enough down the road about this.

Start paying Football players and it's only a matter of time until a suit is brought by a Female Athlete who wants a piece of the pie.
Jonboy345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy345 View Post
Title IX won't let it happen unless the University wants to start giving the same benefits to all student athletes.

Most people aren't looking far enough down the road about this.

Start paying Football players and it's only a matter of time until a suit is brought by a Female Athlete who wants a piece of the pie.
And to be fair it is a valid argument. Other sports put in as much work as football players, they represent the school in the same way, they deserve equal share. That said school cost like 15k a year, just off tuition they are making 60k for 4 years, plus reaping the benefits of getting a degree, which is helpful after football, and for those that don't stay 4 years they are getting credits towards a degree that don't go away. You can't put a number on the value of the education they get. They get room and board, books etc all stuff I'd sign my life away to get if I was gifted enough to be an athlete. Plus you can't put a price on walking out at WB to all the crazy bottle throwing fans cheering you on.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Most schools don't turn a profit now. They can't afford to pay them or at the very least the same as the schools who do make a profit from all their sports programs. If they have to pay, then more and more sports programs will be cut, men and women's, whether they turn any profit or not. Pretty soon some schools will have football and maybe basketball and not much. Many smaller schools would close down all programs,

Such a discrepancy in pay levels would cause the rich schools to get even more of the best players than now if poorer schools are allowed to offer lower payments..

I don't think they should be paid. Right now they get books, tuition, room and board, tutoring, the best health care available in every aspect, the chance to travel to places most would never see otherwise. They also get local fame, if not national fame, so if they do not make it at a NFL level, the chances some local businessman will hire him is greatly higher than most average students.

Many get money from grants.

Many student-athletes are there for sports and not academics anyway.

Football is a high risk sport, especially the longer you play it from accumulated injuries of various types. That is no different from certain jobs in the real world. Cops, firemen, military people, and many more professions know the dangers of their job. If you are not willing to accept those risks, do something else.

You could let the kids get jobs in the offseason to make more money instead of training year round like they do now. Needless to say that opens up a new can of worms and would greatly lessen the quality of product on the field due to less time perfecting their craft.

Very few kids make it in pro sports, so good luck to them, but beyond what is already being done, don't pay the kids. For the most that don't make it to the pros, they are well compensated. For those that do, they get the big bucks they were after in the first place and since the NFL has no reason to form their own minor league system, those kids used college as such a platform to showcase their skills, another "free benefit".

Few things in this world is perfect and college sports certainly is not, but all things considered, it is a good deal for all involved. It would not be wise to poke the hornet nest.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
TheGarnetArmy
Banned

Male

TheGarnetArmy has hatched from the shell

Quote:
To be fair, just like with football, people in the military know what they're signing up for.
TheGarnetArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

My first degree was in theatre. I had a scholly and I got paid for 20 hours per week of time spent acting, building sets, running stage lights, etc. I see no reason why athletes should be discriminated against and not receive the same opportunity and compensation. They play, practice, watch film, and hit the weight room all year. Give them the 20 hour pay as well.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
My first degree was in theatre. I had a scholly and I got paid for 20 hours per week of time spent acting, building sets, running stage lights, etc. I see no reason why athletes should be discriminated against and not receive the same opportunity and compensation. They play, practice, watch film, and hit the weight room all year. Give them the 20 hour pay as well.
That's interesting. How were you compensated? Was it treated like a work study?

Perhaps that's a viable solution. Allow ALL athletes to collect work study wages for their time spend practicing and competing. No, they won't get rich. But, they won't be entirely broke either. That also nullifies the "We can't work, the NCAA won't let us" crowd.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
taylorssc
Swag Out

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Not a bad idea. I think they should stipulate that they must remain academically eligible in order to remain on the payroll, so to speak.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free.
are high school players banned from receiving benefits? I honestly do not know.
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
That's interesting. How were you compensated? Was it treated like a work study?

Perhaps that's a viable solution. Allow ALL athletes to collect work study wages for their time spend practicing and competing. No, they won't get rich. But, they won't be entirely broke either. That also nullifies the "We can't work, the NCAA won't let us" crowd.
NCAA athletes are currently allowed to work, its just that most that do only do so in the offseason, due to football taking up so much of their time. I think what Yancey is saying is that, for him, theatre involved a lot of work, which he was compensated for. Student athletes also put in a lot of work, but they are not compensated outside of scholarships and such. They do get a stipend now, I believe, but it is paltry in comparison to what student athletes bring in for the university.

And what about the universities, or sports, that don't generate any revenue? Well, I'd assume they'd be handled like Yancey's theatre work compensation.
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

For the purpose of a speech class assignment, it doesn't really matter if I agree or disagree with your premise. Barring any problems with the actual delivery of the speech, you will be successful if you give a thesis and provide valid, logical arguments in support (looks like you are accomplishing that imo). To truly stand out, do like another poster stated and acknowledge the other side of the argument and be able to rebut those arguments.

FWIW, I agree with others in that maybe it should be college athletes as a whole and not just specifically football players.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
are high school players banned from receiving benefits? I honestly do not know.
Yes they are. A high school player must be an amature, in every league I have heard of, to play on their schools team.