CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
spareparts
usc1
robgusc76
b381l
ertman420
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
Ole Miss Projected R (844)
2001 vs Sandstorm (831)
Tennessee hires Donn (774)
Acock reviews the SE (723)
So who was the dude (662)
Sunday college footb (637)
Does anyone have a l (355)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (336)
Florida Georgia Line (327)
Purple drank (253)
Dabo confused about who w
Season Rankings Thread...
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
2001 vs Sandstorm
SEC Network "Take It
Does anyone have a link t
response from charter abo
Acock reviews the SEC Net
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material
Default Re: 41 wins the last four seasons..time to take the next step

I find nothing wrong with the first few posts on this thread. I think we HAVE seen a dip in recruiting wins...but we've also won some impressive recruiting battles...such as pharoah Cooper, David Williams, etc.

There IS something to be said for 4 and 5 star recruits. See Alabama and Florida state. I agree that finding players who fit the program is more important...but you can't discount talent that is far and away above the second tier player. 4 and 5 star players are simply hands down better than the rest more often than not. Yes, there are exceptions...but if we want to be the next step better to won championships...we have to continue to get great talent at every position. I think we are in good shape in most positions...but the question is are we better than everyone else in the sec?

Ive been a gamecock for 51 years (I'm 61)...And I love where we are now...but still sooooo disappointed that we screwed the pooch against Tennessee.

Success usually breeds success so I'd expect to see us continue to get top shelf talent, but I'd like to see coach spurrier more involved in the process. Since we are now a top ten team for a few years now...you'd think we'd be able to get top ten recruiting classes.

I'm not excited when I hear we are signing a qb who was only really recruited by a few ivy league teams. Smart is good...but...

I'm a faithful fan of spurrier and company...so I'll sit back and enjoy the ride...and bitch a little here and there.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
DJ35
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
We had the youngest team in the nation. We lost 6 of our top 8 tacklers off the 2012 team, including all our LB's. Clowney was injured all year.

To have had only one hiccup (losing to UGA early in the season in Athens does not qualify as one) was an exceptional achievement.

Remember how we got big leads on several teams only to see them come roaring back to make the games close? That was part of the growing process of youngsters learning how to close games out.

Our progress is gradual, but still pointed upward. While everyone else in the SEC are not sitting still, ours looks brighter, still. We are getting closer each year. Stay the course.
Having a hiccup is not an exceptional achievement when your goal is to win a championship, and you have a team that is good enough to do it. That being said, it would have been a much more acceptable hiccup had it been ucf instead of tenneshee, IMO. Anyway, 10-2 and #8 in the country isn't bad at all. I hope the Cotton is Carolina's destination to end the season, and maybe we'll be hiccup free and celebrating a SEC title next year. GO COCKS!!
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
tsb44
4-Star

Male

tsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudlytsb44 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Pharoh Cooper and Skai Moore were 4 stars. Skai Moore is a 4 star freshman who starts over 2 three stars that have been in the program longer.

TJ Holloman has been in the program the same amount of time 4 star Kiawan Lewis has been in the program and Kiawan Lewis starts.

So yeah stars don't matter a bit.
Never said they didn't matter at all, but they aren't everything. They were all freshmen on the field. Keep up with your recruiting man...kaiwan and pharoh were both demoted from 4 to 3 stars by rivals.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #24
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb44 View Post
Never said they didn't matter at all, but they aren't everything. They were all freshmen on the field. Keep up with your recruiting man...kaiwan and pharoh were both demoted from 4 to 3 stars by rivals.

Only Lewis was. Nevertheless he was still rated higher. I agree that they aren't everything, but they are a huge part of it. We have great coaching but if we get enough talent it'll prevent losses like UT, Auburn, etc when we don't bring our A game.

We do have enough talent to win the SECE, no doubt about it. But obviously the more the studs you get to come play for you the easier it makes it on the coaches.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I'm not disappointed with this season. I agree that it's time to take the next step, but I don't think I'll ever be dissapointed with a double digit win season. I think it's a fair point that you don't want us to get complacent as a fan base, but you don't want to turn into Bammers either and start shooting each other after the first loss.
An excellent point.
It is a fine line you tread as fans being happy, realistic and downright crazy.

Granted, when you have won as many championships as Alabama has, you have earned the right to be a little crazy.

I don't think it is unrealistic to say we shot ourselves in the foot that last three years...that Auburn loss, this year's loss to UT and the bad loss to Florida last year where we handed them the game in the first quarter, are the types of games you can't have if you want to contend for championships.

This team has had the talent to make it to Atlanta the last three seasons...and I think they will have the talent again next year. After that, I'm not sure...but next year, I think we have to say SEC or bust.

The year after, depending on who leaves, who we bring in, considering all the junior and senior talent we will have that could leave early, then we may lower our expectations to a 9-win season.

But next year, it is SEC title or bust.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

Spurrier @Carolina doesn`t recruit stars ......THEY MAKE THEM !!!!! ....FIVE!
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

We didn't have the horses to win it this year. 10 wins with this team is amazing...considering the youth.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

We should have made that step last year and continued this year. Connor would have gotten all the national media hype HBC has been almost begging for Shaw the last few weeks had he gotten us to Atlanta, but as great as his record is, the two big losses, Florida 2011 and Tennessee 2012, Georgia 2012 too left us in the cold and that Missouri game, Florida and especially Clemson this year would have gotten Shaw an invite to New York, and a possible Heisman. Think about this field of candidates, Shaw measures up just as well with his stats and home undefeated record. Alas, he didn't get us to Atlanta and alas he got overlooked the last 2 seasons. Don't get me wrong, Shaw has had an amazing career but it will have a tiny asterisk cause he never took us to Atlanta. I mean, Garcia did for crying out loud. 3 straight 11 win seasons would awesome but I just gotta believe those bad road losses will leave a bad taste for Shaw, Clowney and the seniors. This was our year and we let a second year league team get to Atlanta that we beat. To answer HBC's question to the media, "Why does Shaw not get the national praise?", the answer is simple, he didn't make it to the national stage. But the future is bright and we are closer, we will get there.