CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
eaglegolf018
ccured
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Thenardier
ucan'tlickourcocks
ColaCock
The Yancey
donbgamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site (792)
NBA Wants to Up Age (433)
Construction of Worl (393)
Peach Bowl name retu (377)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (349)
Save Electricity By (342)
HELP calculating acr (288)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (273)
How Experienced In P (238)
40 Ways You Know You (171)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
What is your perfect egg?
Jameis Winston's Accuser
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Name a Gamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site rate

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: Will Spurrier risk starting Mitch in game 1 next year?

Dylan not Dillon- I hate to be that guy, but that is a bad one
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #42
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Yes

Well maybe one ball

Funny how THIS answer comes from a guy with the name "spareparts"

No way Coach starts a guy just to groom him. It is true that Aaron Murray started and played all four of his seasons at Georgia, but it was because he was their best QB.

If Mitch wins the Spring and Fall workouts and scrimmages significantly AND he knows the entire playbook and defensive tendencies...he will start. If he doesn't then Dylan will get the nod.

Also don't count out Nosovitch, because that guy is ALSO a highly rated QB coming out of high school and he has some of the same qualities that Connor has.

Anything at this point is purely a guess....but since there's little else to talk about now that the SEASON IS ALL BUT OVER...then bring on the fluff threads.

Right now I'll say Dylan will start and depending on how he does, Noso would be #2 and Mitch #3...right now. All could change by the end of Spring. But EVEN THEN I would think that if things are relatively equal that Spurrier would challenge Dylan to work hard over the summer of 2014 to prepare for Fall and then go from there. In my opinion A LOT would have to happen for Dylan not to get the start at the beginning of next season.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I put the O/U of quarterback threads between now and opening game at 250.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #44
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scfan2605 View Post
I think DT starts the first game would be kinda hard not to start him but spurrier did start shaw a couple years ago ahead of Garcia and most people thought he was crazy but shaw turned out to be a hell of a qb he also pulled a senior for a guy named danny wuerffel one time to so I trust spurrier when it comes to qbs which leads me to believe before the season is over Connor Mitch will be the starter I just have a feeling for some reason
What makes you and some of the others overlook Nosovitch? Not to mention DT himself?

It's a given that the backup QB is always the most popular guy on campus, but currently Mitch is 4th string at best. While next year might be a breakout year for him making him the starter, he's just as likely to be 3rd string next year.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #45
atlgamecockman
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1200
atlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
What makes you and some of the others overlook Nosovitch?
I think Nosovitch could easily win the spot over DT in the spring. The kid is a carbon copy of Shaw, only taller, heavier, and just as fast.

He could easily run the offense in a similar way that Shaw has.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #46
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1667066
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

**** playing a freshman next year. Why waste the skill position talent around him when you could start a 5th year Senior with a rocket launcher arm and has big game experience? The offense this year may be the best in school history, but next year sets up to be even better.

-Thompson throwing to Cooper, Roland, and Ellington
-Davis running backed by Wilds, Carson, and Williams
-TEs like Anderson and Adams
-Senior laden o line
-veteran defense

next year will be a disapppointment if we have less than 12 wins.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000866
Darth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudlyDarth Visor is crowing loudly

I'm not sure Mitch will know the playbook well enough to start over Dylan. Dylan has done a lot of good things for us and I think will carry on the gritty, winning tradition that Connor has laid here next season. I do hope to see Mitch play some mop up duty though.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #48
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

As I said in another thread I am not sold on DT as our QB going forward. I appreciate his contributions to the program, as the win against Clemson and the bowl game will always be legendary. However, his play this year gave me some worry, and more troubling was the regression of his mechanics. I don't know what George Whitfield did to Dylan but the ball looks terrible coming out of his hand now, it looks like the ball is filled with helium.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #49
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

I don't know which quarterback will get the most snaps next year, but SOS and most of us would consider 8-4 to be a huge step backwards.

The ball coach, at 68, isn't looking to the future, he wants to win right now. Whoever he thinks that QB is, on any given series, will play. Senior, freshman, loyal or not, it's about winning every week.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
Gamecock John
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Gamecock John has feathers coming inGamecock John has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
so you think if Orth shows the best in the spring and summer, then he should start.
ABSOLUTELY!! I want the best player on the field. I don't care who starts. I want the player that gives us the best chance to win games to start. Why would you not start the best player.
Gamecock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Perry Orth

/thread
Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #52
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

Last year Shaw was our zone read guy and DT was our down the field passer. Shaw made a dramatic improvement in his passing game which allowed him to become the true #1 this year.

I expect our situation next year will be similar to 2012/2013. DT will be the starter but Nosovitch will come in to run the zone read when needed.

Remember that Spurriers offense relies heavily on knowing the playbook and becoming accustomed to the timing of particular plays. Talent is important, but knowing the system is just as important.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
crazy8s
Walk On

Male

crazy8s has hatched from the shell

SOS beleives that if you practice good you deserve to play. So Conner will have to show in practice that he is better than the other QBs.
crazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #54
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
It will be decided in the summer. Spurrier has always had the policy that the best player will play the position. Dylan has played well when he's been put in, that's no doubt. But if Mitch shows Spurrier that he's better before the season, he's going to start him. That's what he's always done.
This! SOS doesn't care what year you are or how long you have been around. You win the job in the spring and summer, and you play in the games.
doc
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #55
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

it amazes me how many predict someone with 0 game experience will start...

I swear, do you people even use your brains.

Spurrier has said on more than two occasions that next year is Dylan's year.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

I expect Dylan Thompson to start against Texas A&M next year.

BUT, if he comes out and throws a couple of picks and/or takes some bad sacks (hopefully not on either count), then the HBC will have some decisions to make. If DT is off and Noso or Mitch comes in and plays well, then who knows how the rest of the season will play out.

My hope is simply that whoever gets the nod for game one of the 2014 season gets the nod for the rest of the season as well, which will mean that they have played well enough to keep the starting job throughout the year. But it sure is nice to have mutliple talented options at the qb position where needed. I can remember the days when it was Blake Mitchell or bust for Carolina.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #57
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Nope. We play the best players to win in 2014. That is what you do. Put the players that have earned the right to start and give you the best chance to win the game. No way you sacrifice a current season in hopes it better positions you next year. No way no how!
Exactly. Start the players who give you the best chance to win like we always have. So if Connor Mitch shows he's the starter, then he will start. Spurrier isn't going to just give it to Dylan because he has game experience.

I actually think Nosovitch is better than most are giving credit for. He's got some wheels and an arm to match.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #58
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

You play the best player, you don't throw a potential ten win season just to train a frosh QB. If Mitch is the best QB and earns the spot, I fully support him starting.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #59
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
You play the best player, you don't throw a potential ten win season just to train a frosh QB. If Mitch is the best QB and earns the spot, I fully support him starting.
Not me. Remember when Beecher got the start over Garcia and Smelley because he practiced so well? Dylan, we know, is a pretty good gamer and is pretty good in practice. Let him start, let Mitch/Nosovitch get some snaps if we're up by 3+ scores or if we're down 2+ scores.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #60
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Spurrier also shows loyalty to upperclassmen who do everything they are asked to do.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote