CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
4gamecockfb
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
OscarTheGrouch
Acockolypse Now
RGHoskins
bigdog2003
GoldenSpur7
Spurrier_Superior_On
Diamond DeSheilds, U (2803)
how has more ESPN an (1535)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1079)
Gamecock Legacy recr (758)
Clemson's At It Agai (497)
Women's bb - Deshiel (495)
22 ways to annoy peo (384)
$15 home AC (361)
Hope Springs Eternal (294)
Why sports will alwa (253)
Season Rankings Thread...
Byron the bunny...fear th
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
Steak and eggs
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Playstation 4
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Joeckel Transfering from
Victor Hampton Arrested

Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #61
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

I took out loans to go to school to have a chance at a better career...so what if they can run/kick/throw a ball in order to have a chance for a multi-million dollar career path...I earned multiple awards for research and earned several hundred thousand dollar grants for my university...they didn't pay me.

Sorry, take out loans kids...you already have free tuition to top universities...and half of them STILL can't do long division.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #62
3MTA3
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
That would be interesting in the recruitment...come here, we want you but can only give you 100 stiped. Enter Texas with all their boosters that can give kids a 1000 stipend. Playing field will NEVER be close to level or near the same level that it is now

There are also some who suggest pay for play, with no regulations.

I'm not suggesting that. If there were still regulations as to how much could be paid, then this issue would be mitigated.

We already pay them something in the form of a stipend, I'm merely saying increase it to help remove some (admittedly, not all) motivation for taking money on the side.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #63
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

paying college athletes beyond stipends is soo dangerous a slope. If not all schools can afford to do so, then kids will look to those that can to go to and the competition will change dramatically. Also where is the cut off line. Do all athletes get paid? Just those where sports are making money?

I may be in the minoritiy, but there is no way they should be paid.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #64
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
I took out loans to go to school to have a chance at a better career...so what if they can run/kick/throw a ball in order to have a chance for a multi-million dollar career path...I earned multiple awards for research and earned several hundred thousand dollar grants for my university...they didn't pay me.

Sorry, take out loans kids...you already have free tuition to top universities...and half of them STILL can't do long division.
I took out loans and financed my own education, and am still paying it back. I'm in no way jealous of student athletes deserving more than they are currently receiving.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #65
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Why won't it?

Because some will cry about it being unfair?

So what?
Because athletics at all schools except giant universities will be completely wiped out. They won't be able to bring in any players with them all trying for schools that will pay.

It will become a bidding war for athletes. Schools who can't compete will die off and their athletics will cease to exist.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #66
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Because athletics at all schools except giant universities will be completely wiped out. They won't be able to bring in any players with them all trying for schools that will pay.

I do not agree with that. There will still be kids who didnt get offered by other, more wealthy schools, who are looking to have their education financed.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #67
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockdiesel7 View Post
and to the people saying you have to pay d-3 schools and stuff too, my brother plays baseball at charleston southern and that takes up almost all of his time, but when I asked him what he thought about college football he thinks they should be paid and he shouldn't because they bring in way more money than other sports and lower division schools
Doesn't matter what he says, it is all about Title IX equality legislation.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #68
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Doesn't matter what he says, it is all about Title IX equality legislation.
Legislation has been, and will continue to be, rewritten.

These aren't the Ten Commandments we're talking about.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #69
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
That would be interesting in the recruitment...come here, we want you but can only give you 100 stiped. Enter Texas with all their boosters that can give kids a 1000 stipend. Playing field will NEVER be close to level or near the same level that it is now
Hence why the NFL put in the salary cap, to level the playing field. Yet, somehow in college sports this is unAmerican
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #70
3MTA3
Starter

Male

And re: Title IX

One thing to keep in mind...every football player on scholarship receives a full scholarship.
Not every baseball player on scholarship, for example, receives a full scholarship.

So this BS about every sport having to be equal is just that...BS.

You could literally take the two highest-generating sports from each university, one men's and one women's (football, women's bball) and make them equitable to get around the Title IX nonsense.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #71
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Hence why the NFL put in the salary cap, to level the playing field. Yet, somehow in college sports this is unAmerican
You're ok with a salary cap in college football?

We'll, that's progress in the conversation! I'm proud of you.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #72
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Legislation has been, and will continue to be, rewritten.

These aren't the Ten Commandments we're talking about.
You keep dreaming that Title IX and the Women's Rights supporters are going to just disappear and allow football to get paid while paying no one else...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #73
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
And re: Title IX

One thing to keep in mind...every football player on scholarship receives a full scholarship.
Not every baseball player on scholarship, for example, receives a full scholarship.

So this BS about every sport having to be equal is just that...BS.

You could literally take the two highest-generating sports from each university, one men's and one women's (football, women's bball) and make them equitable to get around the Title IX nonsense.
Every Scholarship has to be equal, which would involve the payment of athletes. So try again.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #74
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
You're ok with a salary cap in college football?

We'll, that's progress in the conversation! I'm proud of you.
We have it, it is called scholarships. Paying a player will not stop them from taking $100 handshakes. That is why this whole thing is such a BS attempt to argue the removal of corruption.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #75
1982Gamecock
Recruit

Male

1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

Kudos to you for the research and awards. You obviously applied yourself and your God-given talents for the purpose you sought. Many of us had to earn our own way and in my case, I paid for much of my 3 kids college education. Typically those who have the brains to get higher SAT scores and GPA's get academic scholarships as rewards for their talent and don't bring any money into the university. Heck, my nephew and son-in-law both exited USC with more cash in savings, having not worked a day in their lives, due to overages in academic scholarship than most people on this board probably have in the bank! So why shouldn't the same logic be applied to those with athletic gifts who the university uses to earn money by giving them money?

My oldest cobbled together academic and resident hall advisor funds to pay a good portion of hers. My second attended on a partial athletic and LIFE scholarship still leaving a good bit to bear. My youngest has been a bunch of loans. My point is- there are many stories and no one should begrudge college athletes from exploiting their God-given talents to earn a scholarship. For my son who was on athletic scholarship, he was NOT ALLOWED to work during the school year as part of his scholarship. He had mandatory obligations to his team- so, where do you think spending money came from? Bank Dad!

Chances are with your high-achieving academic record, you are making much more money than the vast majority of college athletes, most of which will never make a dime playing professionally. Also, many of them will never graduate (my son earned his degree but I know many who fell by the wayside).The athletes sacrafice a lot that people outside of the program will never appreciate. On top of their studies, they practice, have meetings, community service events, they are held accountable to random alcohol/drug testing and must maintain GPA's and academic progress that the typicaly student, like I was, aren't responsible for.

College athletes provide us entertainment and the university is the real winner taking in millions of dollars in revenue. I think all universities should pay the NCAA a pro rata amount and then let the NCAA pay the students a modest stipend directly.
1982Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #76
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Every Scholarship has to be equal, which would involve the payment of athletes. So try again.
Then how do you explain partial scholarships for other sports, which dont exist for football (only full)?
Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #77
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
You keep dreaming that Title IX and the Women's Rights supporters are going to just disappear and allow football to get paid while paying no one else...

Who said anything about that?

There can always be equitable adjustments made to the legislation. Happens all the time.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #78
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Then how do you explain partial scholarships for other sports, which dont exist for football (only full)?
A full football scholarship is equal to 4 baseball players each getting .25 of a scholarship. Therefore, those same baseball players would all have to get .25 of a stipend, if you paid football players. The reason football has to give full-scholarships and baseball doesn't has to do with NCAA rules. Colleges must provide equal men's and women's scholarships, hence why most female athletes get full scholarships not partial, since they have to make up that 85 football deficit. So if a football player gets free school and $1000 a week, the same must go for a female crew member on full scholarship to stay in compliance with Title IX.

Quote:
Who said anything about that?

There can always be equitable adjustments made to the legislation. Happens all the time.
They will never remove Title IX
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #79
3MTA3
Starter

Male

Quote:
Paying a player will not stop them from taking $100 handshakes.

It will reduce the motivation.

Some will always be greedy, always want more.

Some are currently just wanting to be able to take their girlfriend out for a nice date, buy a suit to wear to a funeral, or some other large expense they might not otherwise be prepared to meet.

Reduce the 'need' and you reduce the frequency of occurrence. You will never eliminate it entirely, but we can bring some of it above board.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #80
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

Quote:
It will reduce the motivation.

Some will always be greedy, always want more.

Some are currently just wanting to be able to take their girlfriend out for a nice date, buy a suit to wear to a funeral, or some other large expense they might not otherwise be prepared to meet.

Reduce the 'need' and you reduce the frequency of occurrence. You will never eliminate it entirely, but we can bring some of it above board.
Keep dreaming. So long as there are people like you saying they are victims, these athletes will be taking money.

Quote:
Again this is a BS emotional plea. These guys have Jordan's and other expensive gear without any issues, but yet you want me to believe they can't afford a dinner.