CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
JerseyBird
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
gamecock88
roosterdude21
Larenz Bryant update (1468)
Joeckel Transfering (812)
UK's Whitlow to tran (618)
2016 - Greg Little (573)
Bamberg High School (406)
response from charte (402)
Victor Hampton Arres (382)
What type of snake i (339)
Wu Tang affiliated r (326)
13 Vintage Internet (182)
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Attendance next season
The case for Clowney at #
A'ja Wilson
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Victor Hampton Arrested
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Where will we be preseaso
Aggie Spring Depth Chart
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material
Default First Team EVER to beat 3 BCS Bowl teams in one year?

If Florida State wins (thereby putting FSU in the nat'l championship game and Clemson in the Orange Bowl)...
AND
If Missouri wins.

We'd have beaten THREE BCS Bowl teams (UCF, Clemson, Mizzou) in one year.

I can't imagine that accomplishment has ever been done before. Am I wrong?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: First Team EVER to beat 3 BCS Bowl teams in one year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcock View Post
If Florida State wins (thereby putting FSU in the nat'l championship game and Clemson in the Orange Bowl)...
AND
If Missouri wins.

Do some research on 2011 LSU.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
That team was really good. They gave the national champions their only loss of the year.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
That team was really good. They gave the national champions their only loss of the year.
Yeah.

They beat the Pac-12 Champs: Oregon, Big East Champs: WVU (Who beat Clemson in that Orange Bowl.) Alabama: the National Champs.

And beat 8 ranked opponents.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
AND
If Missouri wins.

That's a good question. I think it may depend on if you can count winning a BCS game as one of the three wins against BCS teams or if you just stick to regular season. Either way I doubt very many if any have done it.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
longcock
Two Deep

Male

longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
2011 LSU beat Oregon (Rose) and Alabama (Championship). That's two. Did I miss a 3rd?

Edit. Ahh... West Virginia. I missed WV. Good catch.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
That's a good question. I think it may depend on if you can count winning a BCS game as one of the three wins against BCS teams or if you just stick to regular season. Either way I doubt very many if any have done it.
2011 LSU beat Alabama, UGA, WV, and Oregon who were all in BCS bowl games, and then preceded to lose their BCS game.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah.

They beat the Pac-12 Champs: Oregon, Big East Champs: WVU (Who beat Clemson in that Orange Bowl.) Alabama: the National Champs.

And beat 8 ranked opponents.
I forgot they played Oregon and WVU that year. Didn't work out for them in the one that counted though.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
2011 LSU beat Alabama, UGA, WV, and Oregon who were all in BCS bowl games, and then preceded to lose their BCS game.
Georgia wasn't in a BCS bowl
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Jmansour333
Walk On

Male

Jmansour333 has feathers coming inJmansour333 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Georgia didn't go to BCS; they lost in Outback to Michigan State.
Jmansour333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
UGA wasn't in a BCS bowl that year. They went to the Outback Bowl and lost to Michigan State in overtime.
garnet_black215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

I know the OP asked about the BCS era, but prior to the BCS era, the 1988 Miami Hurricanes beat Michigan (the Big 10 champ and Rose Bowl participant), Arkansas (SWC champion and Cotton Bowl participant), Nebraska (Big XII champ and Orange Bowl participant) and Florida State (Sugar Bowl participant). Of course, there only loss was to the eventual national champions, Notre Dame, in the "Catholics vs Convicts" game.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
I know the OP asked about the BCS era, but prior to the BCS era, the 1998 Miami Hurricanes beat Michigan (the Big 10 champ and Rose Bowl participant), Arkansas (SWC champion and Cotton Bowl participant), Nebraska (Big XII champ and Orange Bowl participant) and Florida State (Sugar Bowl participant). Of course, there only loss was to the eventual national champions, Notre Dame, in the "Catholics vs Convicts" game.
Didn't know Arky took a year hiatus from the SEC in 1998
Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Didn't know Arky took a year hiatus from the SEC in 1998.
Oops. I meant 88.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
longcock
Two Deep

Male

So...
At the least... It looks like we'd be the first to Beat 3 BCS Bowl teams, but not play in a BCS bowl game.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Not gonna happen, Mizzou will not beat AU.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCox View Post
Not gonna happen, Mizzou will not beat AU.
Of course you can have your opinion but I like Mizzou's chances. If they can control the AU's rushing game they can win. AU's rushers are going to get their yardage but if Mizzou can hold on 3rd downs they will have a shot.

Per Game Stats

Mizzou Passing Yds 253
AU 173

Mizzou Rushing Yds 237
AU 318

Mizzou Points For 39
AU 39

Mizzou Points Against 19
AU 23

Plus, I like the sound of the SEC champions only loss being to our team!
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 661
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&GSpur View Post
Of course you can have your opinion but I like Mizzou's chances. If they can control the AU's rushing game they can win.
Uh, Auburn's had 200+ rushing yards in all but one game this year, and that was because they weren't trying to run it. Good luck with that.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
LeeSC
Melvin bowls...overhand.

Male

CockyCash: 200
LeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot materialLeeSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Edit. Ahh... West Virginia. I missed WV. Good catch.
Don't worry about it........ Clemson defenders missed them all game long also.
LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #20
GamecockinILL
Blue Chip

Male

GamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his combGamecockinILL is developing his comb

The real question here is if a team has ever beaten 3 BCS teams and not gone to a BCS game themselves....that HAS to be a first if it happens.