CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
usc1
Bobby Boucher
SterlingBrooks
Mr.101
i29gman
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (6249)
NBA Wants to Up Age (736)
40 Ways You Know You (361)
South Carolina @ Aub (223)
Super-Efficient Ax (197)
Amazing a List of Us (176)
Holly Trees pruning (138)
Starz Black Sails (75)
BREAD (0)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #2
BREAD
Playstation 4
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Name a Gamecock
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2015 - Minkah Fitzpatrick

Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #181
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Commitment - Michael Scarnecchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Connor Shag Scarnecchia just to be sure.
Fixed!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #182
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

This kid could turn out to be a steal. ALL the tools are there except for the star rating. I think if his Team goes deep in the playoffs you could see this kid move up to a 4 star. Quite frankly this kid is a much better pure passer than the Barker kid.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #183
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly

I'm not sure when it happened, but he's been bumped up to 3-star status by Rivals. Based on his stats, height, arm strength, and film, I'd say it was overdue.

Cover Two, you might want to adjust his star rating on the commitment thread.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #184
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Anyone notice the QB for NIU who is in the Heisman running was a 2* out of HS with a weak set of offers? There are steals out there to be had!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #185
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Anyone notice the QB for NIU who is in the Heisman running was a 2* out of HS with a weak set of offers? There are steals out there to be had!
I think NIU got beat last night. Dillon won the MAC
roosterdude21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #186
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Rivals has him rated as a 3 star now. Anyone know if he was invited to any All Star games?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #187
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I'm really happy with all the guys who are committed to come to USC in this class, but there always seems to be at least one guy each year who greatly intrigues me. This year, there are two, Deebo and Scar. I think there's a real possibility both of these guys will eventually be turning heads in college for all the right reasons.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #188
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

This dudes film is good
Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #189
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

Just watched his Hudl senior season highlight tape. I'm excited about this guy. He's going to push the other QBs for the starting spot his red-shirt freshman year. 28 TD's and just 2 Ints. For a high school-er, that's a very low amount of interceptions

It will be interesting to see if we have another Tanner Mcevoy situation (in that he transferred because Connor and Dylan were ahead of him and we would never play) if Mitch wins the job next season or the year after or even Noso. Scar could be sitting for 3-4 years before he sees the field. I know I wouldn't like that too much if I knew I was good enough to play.

We should be in good hands at the QB spot for the foreseeable future.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #190
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

I don't understand recruiting rankings and stuff. I guess there is just so many kids to analyze that it's hard to spread rating around. I just don't understand how a kid who is 6' 3'', has a 14 to 1 TD/INT ratio, and plays 7A ball in florida is rated so low. Kinda the same way with Jamari Smith last year. I don't know, it doesn't really matter, just sometimes bothers me.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #191
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
I don't understand recruiting rankings and stuff. I guess there is just so many kids to analyze that it's hard to spread rating around. I just don't understand how a kid who is 6' 3'', has a 14 to 1 TD/INT ratio, and plays 7A ball in florida is rated so low. Kinda the same way with Jamari Smith last year. I don't know, it doesn't really matter, just sometimes bothers me.
Not only that but the ones doing the ratings feed off of each other. They can't see everyone. A good kid that does not go to football camps/showcases may be underrated. Plus I have always found it interesting that when a football player gets offers from the 'big' schools suddenly the stars increase. Probably due to the increased coverage of him.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #192
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemurraycock View Post
Not only that but the ones doing the ratings feed off of each other.
They totally missed on Aaron Rodgers coming out of HS. Likely 1/2 of the NFL QBs were not rated high...lots of hit and misses.
Quote:
Despite his record-setting statistics, Rodgers attracted little interest from Division I programs. In a 2011 interview he attributed the relative lack of attention in the recruiting process to his unimposing physical stature as a high school player at 5'10 (1.78 m) and 165 lb (75 kg). Rodgers had wanted to attend FSU and play under Bobby Bowden, but was rejected. He garnered only an offer to compete for a scholarship as a walk-on from Illinois.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #193
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemurraycock View Post
Not only that but the ones doing the ratings feed off of each other. They can't see everyone. A good kid that does not go to football camps/showcases may be underrated. Plus I have always found it interesting that when a football player gets offers from the 'big' schools suddenly the stars increase. Probably due to the increased coverage of him.
exactly. People always complain about how recruiting star rankings favor the big schools, but it's actually because once those kids commit they receive tons more exposure and thus, see a boost in ranking over the uncommitted kid who isn't getting attention yet.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #194
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

A co-worker of my dad's did a study last year and the year before. He's an A&M fan. He started noticing that in state recruits often changed their rating based on which school they committed to. If they chose Texas their rating went up. If A&M, they went down. Now this may be a little bit of homer bias due to his being an A&M fan and I don't know which site he used (most likely ESPN). I have noticed myself the last 2 years that as they update their rankings of players, the guys that are verbal to us never seem to improve in the rankings of any site.

I'm never one to care about stars but I can accept that the higher you are in team rankings of recruiting the more recruits themselves see what you are doing and may think "oh they're doing good things there, highly rated players like myself like them so maybe I should consider them".

I've watch tape on a lot of QB's this year. I don't see any reason why Scar shouldn't be right up there in ranking with Drew Barker. We all know they only put their best stuff on tape so maybe he does some things in games that push him down.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #195
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Barker is a little better prospect in my opinion. He puts more zip on the football, and is a much better running threat. Scar is a good prospect, has a nice arm, not as strong as Barker's though but maybe more accurate. Scar is raw with nice tools. If we can develop the guy, he could be someone similar to a Sam Bradford in my opinion.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #196
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
A co-worker of my dad's did a study last year and the year before. He's an A&M fan. He started noticing that in state recruits often changed their rating based on which school they committed to. If they chose Texas their rating went up. If A&M, they went down. Now this may be a little bit of homer bias due to his being an A&M fan and I don't know which site he used (most likely ESPN). I have noticed myself the last 2 years that as they update their rankings of players, the guys that are verbal to us never seem to improve in the rankings of any site.

I'm never one to care about stars but I can accept that the higher you are in team rankings of recruiting the more recruits themselves see what you are doing and may think "oh they're doing good things there, highly rated players like myself like them so maybe I should consider them".

I've watch tape on a lot of QB's this year. I don't see any reason why Scar shouldn't be right up there in ranking with Drew Barker. We all know they only put their best stuff on tape so maybe he does some things in games that push him down.
This board has speculated the same when players commit to us as opposed to a Florida or Alabama.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #197
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Is it just me or does this guy look like a Dylan clone? Very similar stature, mechanics, and the two are nearly identical level athletes/runners.

I'm not terribly impressed by his highlights. Definitely has a strong arm, but don't see him throw with velocity much. Can see on quite a few of the deep passes that his WRs end up having to wait on the ball slightly. Really very few contested passes in general. I wasn't overly impressed by Barker either, although he's clearly a superior overall athlete. Barker has also apparently done well in camps like Elite 11, etc.

The good thing is that with Mitch and Noso, this guy should have a few years to improve and develop before he's really in the mix to see the field.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #198
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I will take a QB who did will against the best in the state of FLA over a QB from Northern KY all day.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #199
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
Is it just me or does this guy look like a Dylan clone? Very similar stature, mechanics, and the two are nearly identical level athletes/runners.

I'm not terribly impressed by his highlights. Definitely has a strong arm, but don't see him throw with velocity much. Can see on quite a few of the deep passes that his WRs end up having to wait on the ball slightly. Really very few contested passes in general. I wasn't overly impressed by Barker either, although he's clearly a superior overall athlete. Barker has also apparently done well in camps like Elite 11, etc.

The good thing is that with Mitch and Noso, this guy should have a few years to improve and develop before he's really in the mix to see the field.
In my opinion, he doesn't look like Thompson at all regarding the way he plays. Someone said on the first page of the thread the kid was similar to Peyton Manning in several ways, and after watching the highlight tapes, I tend to agree, except I think this young man is a little more of a runner than Manning. The comparison in no way suggests he is as good as Manning, but the way he moves and general mechanics do seem remarkably similar to Manning, imo.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #200
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

He had a high completion % and based on the video, almost all those passes were medium to deep range. Give me a QB who can do that over a QB who dinks and dunks 5 to 10 yard passes or WR screens all day long, which give a false idea of accuracy because they are so much easier to complete.

As for velocity, who knows what it really is like? That is similar to those who still believe Shaw does not have velocity after all these years. He has a strong enough arm to fit the type of pass he was throwing at the moment. He has thrown several darts as fine as any pass I have ever seen. Remember Alshon's last catch at W-B against Clempson? The TD catch? Not the strongest arm I have ever seen, but not weak, either.

Scarnecchia has shown he has advanced passing skills because most of those passes were thrown only as hard as required. He has "touch". Being able to throw passes which lead open receivers to be able to run under it is a gift and makes them easier to complete. The so called frozen ropes to receivers, when not the only option to the QB is not wise because it gives so little room for error on his part and that of the receiver, especially if they are not stationary at the time. Sure they look great when they work, but how many long gainers or TD's have we missed with open receivers when "perfect" passes were not thrown? The kind Scarnecchia throws are ideal for those situations. Proper air under the ball, thrown several yards in front of your man (who has the defender behind him) allows him to run under the ball, at speed, and allow it to softly fall into his hands.

Those passes, in football, are almost a lost art because too many kids want to throw the sexier ropes. Funny thing is, they are easier to throw. Kind of like in basketball where kids just practice 3 pointers all day but can't hit midranger2 point shots and their overall games and team play concepts are much poorer than in past generations. Scarnecchia looks like a throwback player and that is a big complement.

This young man has plenty of talent. apparently. No idea if he will be an eventual starter, but based on what we see and knowing SOS recruited him, personally, I don't think it would be a bad thing. What we need to find out is how he does on the unmeasurables...leadership, rapid recognition of defenses,
clock management, situational awareness (i.e. football IQ), looking off receivers, how quickly he sees the open receiver and reacts. ball protection, play fake skills, mental and physical toughness, etc. Those are the things which separate good QB's from great ones.

Last edited by brat; 12-20-2013 at 04:33 PM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote