CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurrier_Superior_On
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
Cockhornleghorn
Rebel4ever
TAFC 5 1981
Dizzy01
ReadR00ster
JAYBEZ
Victor Hampton Arres (2271)
Diamond DeSheilds, U (1884)
how has more ESPN an (1146)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (884)
Gamecock Legacy recr (661)
Attendance next seas (479)
Clemson's At It Agai (450)
Women's bb - Deshiel (392)
$15 home AC (306)
22 ways to annoy peo (284)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
how has more ESPN anounce
Clemson's At It Again
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
One thing I was glad to s
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Connor Mitch
I got robbed in broad day
Victor Hampton Arrested

Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #61
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: UT loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
We need to win the bowl game and get better on both sides of the ball.
Yes, there is always room for improvement. Do y'all think after MJ or Lebron won multiple championships that they were content with just that? No... They always said they could improve and worked harder to get better and play even better basketball than the previous year(s) where they won MVPs and titles. That is the attitude Spurrier is trying to cultivate here. No matter how good we do one season there are always areas we can improve upon.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #62
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Winning big takes some luck, just look at Auburn. We haven't had it, but we will. Good pieces in place, it is time to go make it work.
Pretty much this. Almost every team that gets a shot at the NCG gets some breaks along the way. As it stands, we got a lot of bad breaks in the UT game to go with our bad play. Everybody has those days. Sometimes you win in spite of it, and sometimes a receiver hauls in a ridiculous one handed grab on 3rd and long.

It's just damn difficult to make it to the top. Ask Oregon, Ohio State, Alabama, Stanford, OSU, et al. Look at the incredible amount of fortune than smiled upon Auburn to get them into the NCG.

Even Mizzou caught some breaks along the way. By the time they played Georgia and Florida both teams were shells of themselves. They caught A & M at home the week after the Aggies played LSU on the road.

Another point that has to be made is this: had we pulled the UT game out of the fire, who knows what would have happened after that? You can't assume the rest of our season would have followed exactly as it did otherwise. I know that's getting a bit meta, but it's true. Maybe if we beat UT we don't have the same fire against Mizzou. Maybe we have a bad week of practice. Maybe we lose that game and every game after. There's just no telling.

I'm pretty sure nobody at USC is 'satisfied' with another trip to the Cap One Bowl, but it was still a good season. If you took a poll after the UT game as to where we would be on December 8th, I doubt you would have had too many people choosing 10-2.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
igotmycockcloth
Kenny Clucking Powers

Male

CockyCash: 1300
igotmycockcloth has feathers coming inigotmycockcloth has feathers coming inigotmycockcloth has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I refuse to celebrate the spinning of wheels.

I wonder if Ray Tanner is satisfied returning to Orlando.

I wonder even more what the hell we're going to do about it.

Silver linings are for Mizzou. Sorry but some of you need to take culture change to the next level. Culture change means the organization continues to improve. We have the best resume ever. And look where we are: January 2012.

That's a sign.
It's okay to sidestep. We def. aren't stepping back. There are 14 teams playing for one SEC trophy, only two go. 100's of teams playing for a NCCG. We are just 1 of those. Side steps have to happen. get over it.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
11SWU10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 720
11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous

We play in a conference where the talent level is even. A 2-6 team is dangerous. Both teams in the SEC championship Game had losing conference records last year.

We have the coaching and talent to win the SEC Championship.
We need to be focused and catch a little luck next year. Player leadership can determine next years season.

We went to the baseball finals 3 straight years with teams that were focused, determined and got a little lucky. Won 2 NCs with teams that were not the most talented baseball teams ever at USC.

Leaders on the football field don't always win good citizen awards.
We need to be determine and relentless to go with the talent.
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #65
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
That was a significant loss. Shaw getting hurt, well, hurt us. That big pass they hit on 3rd and long near the end of the game changed our destiny. Would have had a shot at it all. But you know, "it is what it is". Gotta move on.
I don't agree that the loss was all that significant. Let's say they don't convert that 3rd and long and we win by a point. Auburn still goes into Neyland Stadium a couple of weeks later and wins by 32 points. Auburn is better than us. We would not have beaten them yesterday. We're not the best team in the conference whether we had beaten UT by 1 point or lost to them by 2 points, so I'm not losing any sleep over the loss.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #66
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

I am sick of this "UT loss wrecked our season" crap. We lost to Georgia as well.

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
cockyjordan3
Wofford Terrier

Male

CockyCash: 392442
cockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
I am sick of this "UT loss wrecked our season" crap. We lost to Georgia as well.
Georgia was a really good team when we played them. A loss at their place is understandable.

cockyjordan3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #68
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I refuse to celebrate the spinning of wheels.

I wonder if Ray Tanner is satisfied returning to Orlando.

I wonder even more what the hell we're going to do about it.

Silver linings are for Mizzou. Sorry but some of you need to take culture change to the next level. Culture change means the organization continues to improve. We have the best resume ever. And look where we are: January 2012.

That's a sign.
Coach Tanner and Coach Spurrier teach and coach after the game but look at the season as a whole, put the last game behind them and are proud of the young men for having a great season and will celebrate the success we had and not wallow in the disappointments.
So you think Coach Tanner was disappointed and did not celebrate the team that did not win the 3rd straight national title, get a life and if Saban does not celebrate the accomplishments of his team this year then he is a sad man as are you if you do not celebrate the accomplishments of Shaw, Clowney, Sutton, Patrick.....as well as disrespectful to young men who gave us the best 4 years of football we have seen at USC as well as made clemsux fear the thumb!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #69
11SWU10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 720
11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous11SWU10 is making other chickens nervous

Amen!
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #70
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
I'm glad some of the fans have let that loss to Tennessee go. I understand that as a fan there's nothing we can do about it.

But I hope to God that none of the players on our team have "let it go." I hope it ate at them every second of watching the SEC championship game. I hope it ate at them every moment they watched Ohio State fall tonight. I hope it continues to eat at them every day during bowl practice, winter workouts, spring practice, summer workouts, and fall practice. I hope they don't forget about it for one single second during the offseason and for one single down during next football season. I hope they realize what one single falter could cost them. And I hope they turn that nightmare of a memory into a stellar performance every single game. I hope they play every game like it's for an opportunity to play in the national championship. I hope they realize that at the level this program is at right now, every single snap has national championship ramifications......

Because, as fans, all we can do is hope and cheer. And give our money.
They let the ut game go that Monday or it would have ate at them and our season would have went to $hit, that is what good/great players/teams do, if you can't control it let it go and concentrate on what you can control. The uga loss cost us just as much why not dwell on it or let it "eat at you/them" because nothing good comes from it, you move on and try to not let it happen again Letting it eat at you does nothing but make you play tentative hoping you do not make the same mistake, you let it go and concentrate on what you can control never letting that doubt in your mind!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #71
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Good job coach. Because if we let a bad loss light a fire under our ass, we might improve!!!

Pathetic.
If you need a loss to light a fire under your ass you will never be winner, the want to succeed and achieve is what fuels winners not the want to not lose, that is what a loser does and he then dwells on that loss and it eats at him!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #72
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I'm not wanting to take it personally either. I can take it as well as dish it out and I respect you.

I do not think the future is as bright as others do. We are playing at a level that we should have moved from this year, and we did not, and people are satisfied because of consolation prize thinking. That thinking may have been permissible years ago, but it shouldn't be a substitute for winning at a level that we are capable of.

It is disconcerting.
See winners always think the future is bright, if auburn had your attitude they would have thought lets just improve on not winning an SEC game and dwell on those losses/let them eat at us for motivation instead of thinking last year is behind us, starting fresh with the attitude of we can win it all, us against the world!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #73
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
We've been SEC title contenders for the last 3 seasons since we made the SECCG.
We are spinning the wheels somewhat. How many years of not making it beyond 10 regular season wins will it take for you to get a little ticked?
First off we have a very small recruiting class, do you know how recruiting ranking works?
Second you get pissed and disappointed then move on to keep a positive attitude, many fans said the season was over after we loss to ut and have come to crow about being right but if we had loss the rest of the games it would have really sucked and been extremely disappointing but we did not. We fought and controlled what we could control from that point on and that is something to be proud of and celebrate, take every game one by one and continue to fight as a GAMECOCK is supposed to.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #74
gamecockgal
Cave Johnson's Lemons!!!!

Female

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockGirl23 View Post
I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. I think we could've done better, especially with the schedule we were given. We can point out stats all day long but when it comes down to it, our goal is to win the SEC. That being said, I do feel like we are headed in the right direction. It is perfectly acceptable to be disappointed or frustrated, but we have to try and remember where we came from and that there are better seasons in store for us. Hang in there gamecock fans!

Yes, this is EXACTLY how I feel. I am so proud of the boys, but I am also disappointed that we got so close and couldn't quite make it.
We are definitely heading in the right direction, and we are so close, we just need to make that one more little push to get into the SEC-CG and win.
It doesn't make you less of a fan to be disappointed that we didn't make it to the SEC-CG. But it does if you give up on them.
I don't think anyone here is going to do that.

CLEMSON KEYBOARD
gamecockgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #75
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First off we have a very small recruiting class, do you know how recruiting ranking works?
Second you get pissed and disappointed then move on to keep a positive attitude, many fans said the season was over after we loss to ut and have come to crow about being right but if we had loss the rest of the games it would have really sucked and been extremely disappointing but we did not. We fought and controlled what we could control from that point on and that is something to be proud of and celebrate, take every game one by one and continue to fight as a GAMECOCK is supposed to.
I agree with everything you're saying. You have to focus on what you can control and not waste your time/energy/focus on past failures. That's what the great ones do in this game. I try to keep a similar mindset as a fan.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #76
DJ35
4-Star

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
Man you can be sick of it all you want, but it doesn't make it any less true. We had no business losing that game and it did wreck the season as far as Carolina playing for the SEC title. You're right, we lost to georgia as well, but had that been the only loss we still play yesterday.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote