CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
RGHoskins
sporkgod50
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Gyle41386
Thenardier
robgusc76
NJGCfan
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2015 - Davon Durant

Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
DJ35
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs
Default Re: Happy? Maybe. Satisfied? Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
I 2nd this. Not everyone is as lucky to have a horseshoe the size of a car up their ass as Auburn is!
Even with the youngest team in the country it shouldn't have taken a horseshoe of any size in order to beat tenneshee.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #42
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
Obviously you folks weren't around when Carolina was losing 21 in a row, when there was no support from the University administration or when the football coach was hired based on how low a salary he would take.

If 10-2 in the SEC with the youngest team in America is mediocre to you then you'll never be satisfied.
I hear you, but the goal is not to just be "good" or be "better than when we really sucked." It's win some championships, put some trophies in the case, banners on the stadium. To get the cigar, not just give a nice try. To be the bride, and not the bridesmaid. We are not talking about a horseshoes or hand grenades team here, it's football.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #43
BlueEagles06
Two Deep

Male

BlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I'm the first person to know what a crank I can be, and I admit I love to hate on mainstream things, and 99% of it is bull and silliness.

But this isn't.

Elevating expectations to new levels is part of the culture change sold to us by Spurrier from day one. We were told not to be satisfied with the "way things are", and I agreed with him then, and I'd echo his attitude right now.

I'm willing to take the criticism and called names and be told to GTFO and be singled out if need be, because I know I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied with things because I expected more than an "11 win season, Cap 1 Bowl, Clemson win" season. Call me what you want, but I expected more, and so should everyone else, and I'm not going to sit around and pretend like "we get to go Christmas shopping in shorts and flip-flops" (seriously) is enough of a reason to think this season was swell. Get frigging real.

Be happy? I can grumble if I want. But I am not satisfied.

Why should we be telling other fans that we should shut up and be satisfied with the way things went down this year? So we are right back to where we were in 2012 - I guess that stinks - but telling others to be satisfied with it is another thing entirely.

Given the trend, are we going to be bragging in a few years that "NO CAROLINA TEAM HAS EVER HAD 12-IN-A-ROW 10 WIN SEASONS!!!1!" That is mediocrity man. Quit telling people that having back-to-back-to-back anything is a success. Solid winning programs move forward because people refuse to be satisfied. Like Spurrier sold us when he showed up.

We have reached a plateau, and regardless of how much better it is than 20 years ago, people are satisfied with that plateau because "it is what it is". Huh?? Is that why Ray Tanner is our AD? To fulfilled a goal we fulfilled years ago? I doubt that was what went on in the meetings to promote that guy. I sincerely doubt Tanner told them the Crap One Bowl was the goal in 2013. But from some of the stuff on here you'd think it was the greatest thing because "It sure as hell is better than 1-11!!!!!" That's not thinking like we should.

I'm sick of consolation-prize, everybody-gets-a-medal thinking. Beating Clemson was fun, but what the hell good is it when we end up saying "wait til next year" AGAIN with the talent we have? Are we going to be satisfied with the C1 Bowl and beating Clemson again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that? Really? Mediocrity right there. Shift gears. Expect more.

The place we are at was a good place a few years ago and we cannot and should not be satisfied being where we are, and anything less is mediocrity and stagnation. I am sorry if people don't like that, but top organizations do not express satisfaction with reaching goals they have already reached and continue to reach. We may have reached a new level of excellence, but it is entirely reasonable and GOOD to continue to want to push forward instead of expressing strained and phony excitement about the state of affairs.

Look at any top program and tell me they are satisfied with "making a bowl game". Let alone the same bowl they were at.

Does anyone remember how many times LSU went to the Sugar Bowl? No. But you for damn sure remember when they picked it up - WAY up - and were in the title game.

"There's alot worse things that could be happening" is blindness. Are we a team on the rise? Is that the type of attitude that we want? "I'm not tired of going to the C1 Bowl"...... really?? I can't believe I read that.

If you're not tired of the C1 Bowl, then when will you get tired of it? When will you wake up and say "shit man, we're better than that"? And wonder why teams we could whip are skating past us? And better yet - not try and convince others they should be satisfied with the status quo?

What did Spurrier tell us about the "status quo" when he got here? Do you think that only applied to THAT status quo, and not "status quo thinking"?

The guy has won a championship and we're sitting around going "GTFO if you think we're stagnating"?? F that.

I can try and be happy about anything (no guarantees). But being satisfied is something else entirely, and I for one am not satisfied with the 2013 season, and no one else should be either. Call it "culture change".
100% agree. You are the man.
All the Cap 1 Bowl bid did was put a piece of corn on top of the turd.
BlueEagles06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #44
Ahmad
Walk On

Male

Ahmad has earned his spursAhmad has earned his spursAhmad has earned his spursAhmad has earned his spursAhmad has earned his spursAhmad has earned his spurs

Talk about fair-weather fans jeez!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
beak2
4-Star

Male

beak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his comb

Wanting to be better it what it should always be about.

beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #46
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19477065
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #47
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quit bitching and be glad we're not Georgia right now. Oh wait, they did go to BCS game last year and SECG didn't they?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #48
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Fact is that we want to be considered "elite."

"Elite" teams do NOT go to the Cap 1 bowl, year in and year out. There's no trade off.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #49
braves29690
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
braves29690 has earned his spursbraves29690 has earned his spursbraves29690 has earned his spursbraves29690 has earned his spursbraves29690 has earned his spursbraves29690 has earned his spurs

A lot of people in this thread really irritate me. Spurrier is building a program. Part of building a successful program is going to good to great bowls every year. We are now doing that. I want to win the national title and the sec title too but that's extremely difficult and only a few select teams get that chance each year. We may win a title here soon but in the mean time be happy and thankful for where we are. It doesn't make us complacent or losers if we're happy with the bowl game this year. It makes us appreciative and realist.

-Brett Favre
braves29690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
DJ35
4-Star

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
I don't think they're fair-weather fans. They can 100% support Carolina and want them to win the Cap One Bowl while not being satisfied about it at the same time. Just as other fans can 100% support Carolina and want them to win it while being completely satisfied with it and jubilant about it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #51
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

So what do the people who agree with this thread want? Is there some kind of change that your proposing? Do you have the solution to our "mediocrity"? Do you want a new coach? Or do you just want to complain?
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #52
TheUSCMike
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
Even with the youngest team in the country it shouldn't have taken a horseshoe of any size in order to beat tenneshee.
It was Tenn that had the horseshoe, nobody expected that catch to be made.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #53
DJ35
4-Star

Male

We don't need a new coach. We need to win the games we should win so we can be where all of the fans think we should be at season's end.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #54
Superadiabatic
Blue Chip

Male

Superadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his comb

We won 10 regular season games and beat Clemson. That's "met expectations" for this team. That gets you a raise equal to the rate of inflation where I work. To really be happy, I need "exceeds expectations". That's a championship.

With "met expectations", nobody's getting fired, though. It's just time for this team to take the next step up. Next year is the time, I hope, damn the schedule!

There's so much potential here, let's hope it's realized!

Early and often.

Superadiabatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
DJ35
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
It was Tenn that had the horseshoe, nobody expected that catch to be made.
It wasn't the catch that beat us. And my point was that, young team or not, we shouldn't have needed luck to beat them. That game shouldn't have been close.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #56
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
I don't think you have any idea what "fair-weather fan" means. Fair-weather fan only shows up when things are good, they don't bother to complain. They just don't watch, don't care when things aren't good.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #57
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Before the season started we had all those threads about what record (regular season) would you be satisfied with. I answered then, and still believe, that anything less than an 11-1 regular was a disappointment.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #58
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves29690 View Post
A lot of people in this thread really irritate me. Spurrier is building a program. Part of building a successful program is going to good to great bowls every year. We are now doing that. I want to win the national title and the sec title too but that's extremely difficult and only a few select teams get that chance each year. We may win a title here soon but in the mean time be happy and thankful for where we are. It doesn't make us complacent or losers if we're happy with the bowl game this year. It makes us appreciative and realist.
I hear ya, but. Don't care how difficult it is. Just be like Nike and just Do it. The fanbase is starving and they only need 1 championship and then we can go another 50 or so years and be alright.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #59
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly

I don't think a SINGLE fan, player, or coach in Gamecock nation is SATISFIED, so who the hell is the original poster (and others of his ilk) preaching to?!?

We ALL want an SEC title! We ALL want a National Championship!

But to refer to the recent accomplishments of our team (3 straight top 10 seasons) as MEDIOCRE (a word the original poster used several times)...is INSULTING to our hard working players and coaches and is completely ASININE.

Look up the fu*king definition of the word "mediocre" before splattering it around like verbal diarrhea.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #60
Fish Tacos
Recruit

Male

Fish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talonsFish Tacos has developed his gaff and talons

Forget whatever dribble the OP was. You're opinion is yours. The fact of the matter is we all want more. But until next August when the ball is kicked Against aTm we can't do much about 2014. Given such, if we don't beat Wisconsin I will be pissed. If we lose I'm
Not going to say ah **** it it was only to cap off a mediocre season anyways. Some of you guys need a dose of reality
Fish Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote