CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
HelleraisingCock
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #81
Yearofthegamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Happy? Maybe. Satisfied? Hell no.

I've got some conflicting feelings about this season. First off, 10 wins are awesome. Could be 11 when it's all said and done. Some of those wins were against damn good teams! We watched Shaw break the record for wins at the qb position. Davis busts on the scene as one of the best rushers in the sec. A freshman lb comes in and leads the defense in tackles. Moore's got a bright future here.

I'm disappointed we dropped the Tenn game. I'm disappointed we didn't get into the seccg. And it sucks we still aren't in a bsc game after the best three year run we've ever had! But we're in the top 10 at the end of the regular season and headed to the best non bcs bowl available! Considering that at times we didn't play well in a few games and still racked up ten wins, we are fortunate to be in this position. The titles and dream seasons are coming, we just missed our opportunities this season

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #82
TheUSCMike
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
It was Tenn that had the horseshoe, nobody expected that catch to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
It wasn't the catch that beat us. And my point was that, young team or not, we shouldn't have needed luck to beat them. That game shouldn't have been close.
$__t happens, it was the catch that set up the winning field goal. My point was that Tenn needed the luck, not us
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #83
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I'm the first person to know what a crank I can be, and I admit I love to hate on mainstream things, and 99% of it is bull and silliness.

But this isn't.

Elevating expectations to new levels is part of the culture change sold to us by Spurrier from day one. We were told not to be satisfied with the "way things are", and I agreed with him then, and I'd echo his attitude right now.

I'm willing to take the criticism and called names and be told to GTFO and be singled out if need be, because I know I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied with things because I expected more than an "11 win season, Cap 1 Bowl, Clemson win" season. Call me what you want, but I expected more, and so should everyone else, and I'm not going to sit around and pretend like "we get to go Christmas shopping in shorts and flip-flops" (seriously) is enough of a reason to think this season was swell. Get frigging real.

Be happy? I can grumble if I want. But I am not satisfied.

Why should we be telling other fans that we should shut up and be satisfied with the way things went down this year? So we are right back to where we were in 2012 - I guess that stinks - but telling others to be satisfied with it is another thing entirely.

Given the trend, are we going to be bragging in a few years that "NO CAROLINA TEAM HAS EVER HAD 12-IN-A-ROW 10 WIN SEASONS!!!1!" That is mediocrity man. Quit telling people that having back-to-back-to-back anything is a success. Solid winning programs move forward because people refuse to be satisfied. Like Spurrier sold us when he showed up.

We have reached a plateau, and regardless of how much better it is than 20 years ago, people are satisfied with that plateau because "it is what it is". Huh?? Is that why Ray Tanner is our AD? To fulfilled a goal we fulfilled years ago? I doubt that was what went on in the meetings to promote that guy. I sincerely doubt Tanner told them the Crap One Bowl was the goal in 2013. But from some of the stuff on here you'd think it was the greatest thing because "It sure as hell is better than 1-11!!!!!" That's not thinking like we should.

I'm sick of consolation-prize, everybody-gets-a-medal thinking. Beating Clemson was fun, but what the hell good is it when we end up saying "wait til next year" AGAIN with the talent we have? Are we going to be satisfied with the C1 Bowl and beating Clemson again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that? Really? Mediocrity right there. Shift gears. Expect more.

The place we are at was a good place a few years ago and we cannot and should not be satisfied being where we are, and anything less is mediocrity and stagnation. I am sorry if people don't like that, but top organizations do not express satisfaction with reaching goals they have already reached and continue to reach. We may have reached a new level of excellence, but it is entirely reasonable and GOOD to continue to want to push forward instead of expressing strained and phony excitement about the state of affairs.

Look at any top program and tell me they are satisfied with "making a bowl game". Let alone the same bowl they were at.

Does anyone remember how many times LSU went to the Sugar Bowl? No. But you for damn sure remember when they picked it up - WAY up - and were in the title game.

"There's alot worse things that could be happening" is blindness. Are we a team on the rise? Is that the type of attitude that we want? "I'm not tired of going to the C1 Bowl"...... really?? I can't believe I read that.

If you're not tired of the C1 Bowl, then when will you get tired of it? When will you wake up and say "shit man, we're better than that"? And wonder why teams we could whip are skating past us? And better yet - not try and convince others they should be satisfied with the status quo?

What did Spurrier tell us about the "status quo" when he got here? Do you think that only applied to THAT status quo, and not "status quo thinking"?

The guy has won a championship and we're sitting around going "GTFO if you think we're stagnating"?? F that.

I can try and be happy about anything (no guarantees). But being satisfied is something else entirely, and I for one am not satisfied with the 2013 season, and no one else should be either. Call it "culture change".
OK

What good does bitching about it do?
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #84
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

This thread is all about the fans. Fans don't play football. The players do. I don't want to speak for them, but I am sure they aren't satisfied with the way the TN game went. Given the way they responded after the TN game shows a lot of character and fight in them. Give them credit. They probably wanted more too, but this is how the football gods had it planned out. I'd rather look at the fact that they won all games coming home after UT than dwell on that loss.

Last edited by TKE226; 12-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #85
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
This thread is all about the fans. Fans don't play football. The players do. I don't want to speak for them, but I am sure they aren't satisfied with the way the TN game went. Given the way they responded after the TN game shows a lot of character and fight in them. Give them credit. They probably wanted more too, but this is how the football gods had it planned out. I'd rather look at the fact that they won all games coming home after UT than dwell on that loss.
Five game winning streak since then. They've done the best they possibly could.

In all honesty, after watching the first few games this season, I think most sensible Gamecock Fans would have loved to have finished the way we have. We didn't look like a 10-2 team after the Kentucky game. Remember how disappointed the HBC was after the UCF game?
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #86
grannycock
Banned

Female

CockyCash: 200
grannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPit

I have been on tiger net since the game, got banned yesterday though, and trust me, all this whining is just giving them something to be happy about. Like I said in the other thread, stop making the taters happy.
grannycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Let's sum it up here...

"Boo Hoo...sniffle, sniffle... life is unfair...why can't the team always play up to consistently unrealistic expectations...or they somehow must not try hard enough...really mad now...there is going to be Hell to pay if they don't win big next year... everyone else is just enabling the team to perform below these standards...we'll probably fall off the face of the earth when SOS retires...maybe sooner."
Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #88
grannycock
Banned

Female

grannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPitgrannycock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannycock View Post
I have been on tiger net since the game, got banned yesterday though, and trust me, all this whining is just giving them something to be happy about. Like I said in the other thread, stop making the taters happy.
Now give me some damn points, you bunch of tight asses. Lol
grannycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #89
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Yeah get rid of SOS if Dylan or Noso or Mitch cannot win the SEC in their first season as a starter. Makes sense...

I think you should lurk more.
Not even remotely close to what I said.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #90
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

I don't disagree with the original post, but I don't completely agree with it either. Never in my lifetime, I thought I would've seen us at the level that we are currently at. Like everyone else, I've sat through those horrific seasons, only to get to this point. We're really only 4yrs into what Spurrier has wanted here..a team that can "compete" for an SEC title. The word "expectation" word has been thrown around, and for me..I expect this team to win 10 games + with a New Year's day bowl. Unfortunately for the Bama fans, they've gotten to the point where they're threatening their own players for a slip up against Auburn. Our fanbase should be grateful for where we are currently. Should the loss to UT had happen, probably not. Now it's time to crank it up a notch.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #91
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Not even remotely close to what I said.
Actually, yes it is. You said if we don't win the SEC next year we should start thinking about things like, "Has Spurrier taken the program as far as he can," which implies if he can take us no further, we need a different head coach.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #92
35-21
Tons-A-Fun

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

When I first met my wife, she could only cook two things - the best home made chocolate chip cookies I had ever tasted, and some just-right Kraft Mac N Cheese. We were together for seven years before we got married in 2010. To this day she still can basically cook just those two items, tasting just like they did the first time I had them a decade ago.

After I read the initial post for this thread yesterday, I got to thinking. Why haven't those cookies and macaroni improved in ten damned years? I deserve better than what I had ten years ago. So, last night, after dinner, I had a talk with my wife about this.

For brevity's sake, I will spare you all the whole conversation and get right to the point of my post - does anyone have a good remedy for a stiff back or advice on where I should go shopping for a new couch? Also, I could use a good source for some high quality chocolate chip cookies...
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #93
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
We also had the easiest SEC schedule we'll ever have. People forget that we avoided the "top 3" teams in the west (top 4 if you count Auburn), had the best QB in school history in his senior year, one of the best RB's in the SEC, returned virtually our entire OLine/Dline and we still didn't get there. It goes both ways. Next year there will be another excuse...new starting QB, tough schedule, etc.

And by the way, fewest seniors doesn't mean youngest team. We have lots of important juniors we lean on.

I, like many others, said at the beginning of the year that I wouldn't be satisfied if we didn't do better than we did in 2012 (SECG/BCS). That hasn't changed. Good to see I'm not the only one.

I really worry about this game because I fear our players are just as disappointed as our fans are and won't show up because they feel like they have nothing to play for. We still need to win it though. Losing your last game of the year sucks. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, instills doubt for months on months. And Winsconsin's a really good football team.
That sums it up nicely.

It seems expectations are high every year and then at the end of the season we're supposed to spin winning the Capital 1 or Outback Bowl into this great accomplishment. We just went through a 3 year period, where some of the best players who might ever play for this school were here.

I can't blame any fan for wanting to take the next step. I don't understand fans in here calling the OP fairweather and unappreciative of our program. We all love the Gamecocks, otherwise we wouldn't be posting about them. But at some point, you want more than beating Clemson, winning some New Years bowl game and being 2nd or 3rd place.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #94
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Too long, didn't read.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #95
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Actually, from all I have seen on Twitter, our players and coaches both are pretty excited to be going to the Capital One Bowl. Haven't seen any of them saying anything negative about it.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #96
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
Actually, from all I have seen on Twitter, our players and coaches both are pretty excited to be going to the Capital One Bowl. Haven't seen any of them saying anything negative about it.
What else are they going to do? We were excited about the Papajohns.com Bowl too.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #97
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
What else are they going to do? We were excited about the Papajohns.com Bowl too.

Negative. Weslye Saunders basically ripped the SEC for sending us there. They don't have to say anything. For them to voice excitement over it says something, doesn't it?
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #98
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I was more upset last year about missing out on the SECCG. This year I realized we were the youngest team in the FBS. It showed on defense. I think we did damn good to win 10 games this year and beat clemsun. If you look at the big picture, we are on the same upward trend most teams take from mediocrity to the upper echelon of college football. I have no reason to think we are going to start trending downward. We are going to have a very special season soon. We already are sitting on a five game win streak facing a top 20 team on NYD in Orlando. I'll take it. We are headed in the right direction.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #99
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

I completely agree. The attitude of "well, we beat Clemson and we're going to a pretty good bowl" is not going to move this program forward. Neither are the Old Carolina mentality fans, who tell people off with phrases like "Well, a few years ago we would be hooting and hollering for the Capital One Bowl." This program needs to take the next step while the opportunity presents itself. This year was set up for USC to do big things. Yet we blew it. The window is closing. The majority of the conference is outrecruiting us. We have plenty of fans who are content with mediocre recruiting, because they are convinced that we'll just "coach up" what we've got. That doesn't cut it in the SEC. In the SEC you've got to have top-notch talent AND coach them up. You can't do just one or the other and expect sustained success.

I see our window closing, as early as next year given the significantly tougher schedule we'll face in 2014. USC has got to get a trophy or two in the trophy case from this era or it will be viewed as nothing more than a brief uptick in the centuries-long mediocrity of Carolina football.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #100
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
They could whine, cry, b%tch and moan like the OP about not being satisfied, about being disappointed, cry about how we seem to not be able to get over the hump.... Instead they look forward and not backward and in no way does that mean they are content, not disappointed in the ut or jawja loss cause it was clear after the games they were but they put big boy pants on and take each game one at a time to control what they can control and put the disappointments behind them instead of dwelling on them like the OP or a troll/tater. Like a troll/tater the OP seems to relish in putting salt in a wound we have built on to win every game since and start preparations for a bowl game and next year instead of wallowing in pity or what could have been like losers do!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote