CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rumor that the 4 Team Playoff will still NOT ..

no problem with a max of two teams from the same conference in a 4 team playoff. if we eventually go to a 8 team playoff which i think should be the max, it should be top 4 ranked conference champs and 4 at large. one of the 4 at large could be a conference champ though. or even top 5 conference champs and 3 at large. obviously no conference limit though, you want every team in the playoff to truly earn their spot whether its being a conference champ or being one of the best teams in the country, not getting in on a technicality.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

I don't care how many Teams are in it. My concern is if its a 4 Team playoff you take the 4 best Teams. If three of those 4 Teams come out of one conference then thats how it should be. I agree with one of the post in that the committee is not going to be a friend of the SEC.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
Daughter of a coach. Provost at Stanford. Little thing called Secretary of State. She's one of my favorite people on the committee. It's almost like she would be able to look at things from a critical angle with no real bias.
Not to mention the woman knows a shitload about football.

But to many, no one should be on the committee that never played/coached. And God forbid the non player/coach be a woman. (Yeah...I went there.)
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I think 12 teams but could do 16 this way. You giving 6 auto bids to BCS leagues, 2 auto bids to highest BCS ranked non BCS teams than remaining 4 (12 teams) - 8 (16 teams) slots to whoever are the next 4 highest BCS ranked teams no mater conference affiliation.

Keep the small bowls for other teams. Use BCS bowls cotton and another big bowl for the round of 8 and on. Have a moving site like NFL does fit champ game big just reusing bowl sites. Do first round at home site of higher ranked team. This would also keep the integrity of week to week momentum and game planning. Bowl games are so weird when teams lose their flow over 50 day break and way too much time to game plan.
This is what the breakup of the BCS system is supposed to try to do
away with. Most people think this same way, but I'm Sorry it's just wrong to
say the Winner of Any conference should automatically be qualified to
enter a post season tournament limited to 4 spots (right now), and
hopefully 6-8 later on. .. Expanding it beyond 8 (IMO) is simply catering
to some of those lower tier teams in lower tier conference who will start
complaining and crying about not having a shot. ... The committee
that is being put together is SUPPOSED to do away with all this "automatic"
bid crap. They're supposed to look at it from all angles and determine who
the best teams in the country are, and that may well be teams that
didn't win their "SO CALLED" big conference. .. How many years has
the ACC Champion gotten T-TOTALLY ROUTED in a post season bowl
game against "seemingly" lower ranked teams ? ... There may come a
time years down the line when just being the SEC champion isn't deserving
to be in a four team playoff system, because 3 teams from the Big 12
or Pac 10 may be much better teams than the SEC Champion. ... This
is why I say, they are moving in the right direction with a more than 2
team championship, but you need AT LEAST 6 (perfect at 8) for a
legitimate True Championship Tourney. ... Forget about "team that won
their conference" .. That's where the biggest Jumble F*** in the BCS
bowl selection matchups occured. .. Just pick the best 4 (6 or 8) best
teams in the country and let them decide it on the field.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 98700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

How many people have enough money to go to 3 games in 3 weeks in different cities? Assuming 8 teams. I think if you go above 4, you're going to have to play home games in round 1 and maybe round 2 which would piss the bowls off.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

That rumor is just a pile of crap. The committee will make their own top 25 rankings and at the end of the regular season the top four teams in that ranking will be in the playoff. I'm pretty confident that the committee would rank the top three the same as we see now in the BCS rankings. The big controversy will be who is ranked 4 and 5.

If it was starting this year we would be in the Orange bowl instead of clemson.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
Daughter of a coach. Provost at Stanford. Little thing called Secretary of State. She's one of my favorite people on the committee. It's almost like she would be able to look at things from a critical angle with no real bias.
I understand her political qualifications and her role as provost of academics at Stanford. But what does that have to do with football? There are plenty of qualified women who have served as administrators in football that I would fully support being on this committee.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Not to mention the woman knows a shitload about football.

But to many, no one should be on the committee that never played/coached. And God forbid the non player/coach be a woman. (Yeah...I went there.)
My criticism has nothing to do with Rice being a woman. There are plenty of qualified women who have been administrators in football and college sports. Rice has some great political and academic qualifications. Yet, I fail to see how serving as Sec. of State, as fantastic as that is, automatically qualifies someone for a college football playoff committee. I would rather see women who have served as athletic directors and college sports administrators.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Basically, the shitty Big Ten wants to control everything

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
game against "seemingly" lower ranked teams ? .
.. There may come a
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
game against "seemingly" lower ranked teams ? ... There may come a
While I understand your point I do not agree for a couple reasons. By allowing AQ you allow all major schools a legitimate shot at the title, just like basketball tourney. Also I hate the idea of a committee an without this type of structure they will do a committee to prevent lawsuits over monopoly issues and such. Another reason, there is no way that all these conferences would agree to a playoff system without such accommodations. Lastly, I think that reputation could deny valid teams from an opportunity from a chance at the title.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
That rumor is just a pile of crap. The committee will make their own top 25 rankings and at the end of the regular season the top four teams in that ranking will be in the playoff. I'm pretty confident that the committee would rank the top three the same as we see now in the BCS rankings. The big controversy will be who is ranked 4 and 5.

If it was starting this year we would be in the Orange bowl instead of clemson.
No we wouldn't.
Because the orange bowl still has the tie in of ACC vs Big Ten/SEC or ND.

So the orange bowl would be Clemson vs OSU, us or
Mizzou.
And seeing that we played them the last week of the season, I doubt they'd pick us.

Last edited by B-G; 12-09-2013 at 07:23 PM.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5661799
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

They are talking about it being only open to conference champions at least in the first few years. That is a some bs. I am in favor of 6 teams not 8, or 12, or 16. Give 1 and 2 a first round bye. It makes the regular season mean more by having to play 1 less game
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #34
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
No we wouldn't.
Because the orange bowl still has the tie in of ACC vs Big Ten/SEC or ND.

So the orange bowl would be Clemson vs OSU, us or
Mizzou.
And seeing that we played them the last week of the season, I doubt they'd pick us.
Clemson is not ranked high enough to make any of the major bowls under the new playoff format. Using current rankings and the new playoff system there would be 4 SEC teams and we would be in either the Orange or Peach.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #35
palmettosc
Recruit

Male

palmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
My criticism has nothing to do with Rice being a woman. There are plenty of qualified women who have been administrators in football and college sports. Rice has some great political and academic qualifications. Yet, I fail to see how serving as Sec. of State, as fantastic as that is, automatically qualifies someone for a college football playoff committee. I would rather see women who have served as athletic directors and college sports administrators.
If you want an unbiased and fair decision made about the 4 teams for a playoff, you should be thrilled about the fact that among the "football" people is someone that has experience looking at data and making decisions. Not to mention she also was a provost at a university, so I'd imagine she'd know the academic/budget side of everything. I guess the fact that she's a football fan and grew up around the game is just a bonus.
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #36
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
allow more than two Teams from any one Conference. If the SEC stands for that they are foolish. This is why the formed a committee so they can keep more than two SEC Teams from getting in. This is no more than Political garbage if true but if you think about it that's all the committee can be created for. I mean it's obvious that 1 should play 4 and 2 plays 3 but evidently that is at the discretion of this " new " committee.
Slive should be axed if this is true

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #37
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

See below. The selection of the final 4 teams will be made without limits on the number of teams per conference.

Bowl selections

The four-team bracket will pit the No. 1-ranked team against No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3. The selection committee will seed the two semifinal games to prevent the top two seeds from playing in a "road" environment. There will be no limits on the number of teams per conference, in a change from previous BCS rules. Bowl selections will not be determined by conference "automatic qualifier" berths, as used in the BCS, though there will be conference tie-ins for certain non-semifinal bowl games along with an annual guaranteed spot for a mid-major representative.
In years when the bowls are not part of the playoff bracket, the highest-ranked non-playoff teams from the following conferences or groups will be selected as follows:
Rose Bowl Big Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
Sugar Bowl SEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
Orange Bowl ACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
Cotton Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Fiesta Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Chick-fil-A Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Additional selection criteriaThe highest-ranked champion from the so-called "Group of Five" mid-major conferences (American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.
The remaining five at-large bids will be determined by committee rankings.
If the Big Ten or SEC champion is available for a non-playoff bowl in a year when the Rose and Sugar Bowls are hosting semifinals, that team will appear in either the Cotton, Fiesta, or Chick-fil-A bowls, but not the Orange Bowl.
In the Orange Bowl, the SEC and Big Ten are guaranteed at least three appearances during the eight non-playoff years, while Notre Dame can only appear a maximum of twice.
In non-playoff years, if the Orange Bowl matchup creates a regular-season rematch for the ACC representative, the bowl may choose to "skip over" the prescribed opponent from the SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame group and select the next highest-ranked team from the group. The team that was rejected would be placed in
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #38
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I could go for the 12 team, with four first-round byes. either that or 8 teams. but the 4 team will do....for now
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
See below. The selection of the final 4 teams will be made without limits on the number of teams per conference.

Bowl selections

The four-team bracket will pit the No. 1-ranked team against No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3. The selection committee will seed the two semifinal games to prevent the top two seeds from playing in a "road" environment. There will be no limits on the number of teams per conference, in a change from previous BCS rules. Bowl selections will not be determined by conference "automatic qualifier" berths, as used in the BCS, though there will be conference tie-ins for certain non-semifinal bowl games along with an annual guaranteed spot for a mid-major representative.
In years when the bowls are not part of the playoff bracket, the highest-ranked non-playoff teams from the following conferences or groups will be selected as follows:
Rose Bowl Big Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
Sugar Bowl SEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
Orange Bowl ACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
Cotton Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Fiesta Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Chick-fil-A Bowl at-large or "Group of Five"
Additional selection criteriaThe highest-ranked champion from the so-called "Group of Five" mid-major conferences (American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.
The remaining five at-large bids will be determined by committee rankings.
If the Big Ten or SEC champion is available for a non-playoff bowl in a year when the Rose and Sugar Bowls are hosting semifinals, that team will appear in either the Cotton, Fiesta, or Chick-fil-A bowls, but not the Orange Bowl.
In the Orange Bowl, the SEC and Big Ten are guaranteed at least three appearances during the eight non-playoff years, while Notre Dame can only appear a maximum of twice.
In non-playoff years, if the Orange Bowl matchup creates a regular-season rematch for the ACC representative, the bowl may choose to "skip over" the prescribed opponent from the SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame group and select the next highest-ranked team from the group. The team that was rejected would be placed in
So, basically we are stuck with the 4 team play-off for at least eight years. Is that safe to say?

I'll add this. While I'm an advocate for a play-off, the easiest route for us to win the NC was in the BCS. Win the SEC with no more than 1 loss and we were in the NCG. One game, winner takes all. Not after this year, it's going to get harder for us and everyone else, but we had a leg up on a lot of other teams simply because we are in the SEC. Oh well, back to the old drawing board. Maybe we'll have better luck in the new system.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #40
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
While I understand your point I do not agree for a couple reasons. By allowing AQ you allow all major schools a legitimate shot at the title, just like basketball tourney. Also I hate the idea of a committee an without this type of structure they will do a committee to prevent lawsuits over monopoly issues and such. Another reason, there is no way that all these conferences would agree to a playoff system without such accommodations. Lastly, I think that reputation could deny valid teams from an opportunity from a chance at the title.
You should check into the recent meetings of the heads of Conferences on
why they are currently expanding and developing the so called Super
Conferences. The MAJOR reason is to eventually pull away from the NCAA
to separate themselves from the mid / lower tier Div 1AA teams that are
currently "holding hostage" a lot of decisions (athletic, academic, and just
general political) made within the current college structure. The large
schools are basically held to the same standards as schools like MTSU,
Fla Atlantic, Eastern Mich, Bowling Green Etc... Simply because they
threaten to sue at every turn if the NCAA allows the "Big Schools" more
say in any matter that comes up for vote, even though they contribute less than
20% of what those bigger schools do. It's the ONLY reason Northern
Illinois was allowed to participate in the BCS bowl games last year, and
the BCS (who claims that all their selection guidelines are totally unbiased
and mostly computer generated) made sure that NI made it into the top
14 in the BCS simply to give them a BCS bowl bid because No. Ill. threatened
to sue if they weren't allowed in . If (as you say) this new selection
committee forms committees to prevent such law suits under this new
system, and tries to make this new structure "fair" to those lower tier
teams, then you will eventually see the SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12 and
the PAC 10 form their own governing body, and pull away from even this
new format. Schools like UT, Texas, Alabama, Fla State etc... are tired
of being held to the same standards as schools like Miami Oh, North TX
State and the likes now. It may still happen even if the new system works
out and even IF they expand it to 6 or 8 teams in the future. ... This
formation of a new level in College Football has already begun and may
well happen in the near future. ...... What you and some call Fair, is
simply a different way of calling the playoffs an Affirmative Action System.