CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
CoverTwo
ertman420
sc455
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
Victor Hampton Arrested
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Joeckel Transfering from
how has more ESPN anounce
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: How would you rate Coach Elliot's performance this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
I see no way Robinson is ever a top 2 round pick. I also think his NFL future is at either RT or even more likely inside. Absolutely no way that kid is a NFL LT unless he really really develops over the next year.
there is no way he gets drafted....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #42
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

1 being worst and 10 being best.

2012 season 3.5 to 4.0
2013 season 4.5 to 5.0

They had they're good games, but they had their lousy games as well.
I'm not sold on the scheme either.....and I think some of the technique
may be lacking.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #43
c0ckkn0cker
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
c0ckkn0cker has hatched from the shell

I don't at all agree with the point that FL or Auburn or another top SEC team would do better with the talent we had...because if you look at their recruiting the past few years they bring in even BETTER OL talent then we have. So that's a weak argument.

Like others have said, what exactly are you grading against? This is by far the best OLine I've seen since I've been following SC the last 6 years. I think a few sour plays naturally stick out more in our minds than the consistent play we've had all year. Yeah, Robinson got beat by Beasley in the Clemson for a couple sacks but the dude is an elite pass rusher who will be picked in the first 3 rounds...same goes for Michael Sam. I think y'all are being a little too critical.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #44
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Part of the problem is the OL and our running game didn't finish the season well.....rushing and pass protection wasn't that good against Missouri, Florida or Clemson.....not as bad as last year but not as good as earlier in the season.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #45
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

We were lucky to keep him after Alabama offered him this past summer. We are 10 and 2, Mike Davis over 1100 yards, Conner 21 touchdowns. I think that speaks for itself. Coach is doing a great job. Remember Coach Elliott brought in the Read-Option that Conner is so good with. Personally, I think Coach Robinson is not getting enough credit for finding Elliott Fry.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #46
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

His performance is by far one of the best on the coaching staff.. if it was up to me, he gets a a raise and exstention.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #47
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

He is the leader like Connor is ! Don't doubt this guy.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #48
UScott
Walk On

Male

UScott has hatched from the shell

What drives me crazy with your OL is they come off their blocks way to quickly a lot of times, then turn and watch as the QB or HB is getting tackled. Is that coaching or player effort? Probably both. Block until the whistle blows, that's what GREAT teams do. I do like Elliott though.
UScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #49
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Would not put to much stock into what Pickens Tech did. They found a flaw in our alignment that gave away the play. They new if it was going to be a run or pass and were able to determine prior to snap if it was a run or pass. I know Deshaun Williams Dad and he told me this after the fact. SC and Elliot were made aware of this after the fact and are making changes to the OL to prevent this. I am sure others heard the same thing.
The same thing was said coming out of the Tenn game and apparently nothing changed.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #50
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Part of the problem is the OL and our running game didn't finish the season well.....rushing and pass protection wasn't that good against Missouri, Florida or Clemson.....not as bad as last year but not as good as earlier in the season.
That's not really surprising. Mizzou and Fla had two of the best dlines in the country and we know Fla has one of the best dline coaches.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #51
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Would not put to much stock into what Pickens Tech did. They found a flaw in our alignment that gave away the play. They new if it was going to be a run or pass and were able to determine prior to snap if it was a run or pass. I know Deshaun Williams Dad and he told me this after the fact. SC and Elliot were made aware of this after the fact and are making changes to the OL to prevent this. I am sure others heard the same thing.
As Dizzy01 pointed out, this was not a secret. I've seen internet posts and heard calls on the radio for at least half the season about Shaw and our o-lineman tipping off the defense as to run or pass. The fact that we evidently didn't adjust, and Clemson used it against us in the last game of the season, is disheartening.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #52
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
The same thing was said coming out of the Tenn game and apparently nothing changed.
That was not the same thing If I remember correctly. I think Shaw had a issue with falling backwards before the snap which gave the DL an advantage on when the ball was going to be snapped. Its hard to block the DL when they have an advantage on the snap count. USCBASEBALL said Clem knew whether it was a run or pass based on our alignment.
JDRAY^# is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #53
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
As Dizzy01 pointed out, this was not a secret. I've seen internet posts and heard calls on the radio for at least half the season about Shaw and our o-lineman tipping off the defense as to run or pass. The fact that we evidently didn't adjust, and Clemson used it against us in the last game of the season, is disheartening.
Was nothing to do with Shaw. It was the alignments the OL were using.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's not really surprising. Mizzou and Fla had two of the best dlines in the country and we know Fla has one of the best dline coaches.
Yeah mizzou really shut down that auburn rushing attack...
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #55
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbreb94 View Post
This place is covered with OL coaches. It's called W's

Anyone with a top 3 defense in the SEC is going to get wins. Its a matter of the other side getting up to snuff if we want to win championships.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #56
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I see no way Robinson is ever a top 2 round pick. I also think his NFL future is at either RT or even more likely inside. Absolutely no way that kid is a NFL LT unless he really really develops over the next year.
He really struggled with speed rushers, which will only get worse at the next level. And he was disappointing at times in his run blocking. 6'8", 340 lbs should be able to create a hole.

He'd be well advised to come back next year, after spending his entire offseason working on footspeed and footwork. If he can improve his technique and footspeed, and maybe tighten up a bit to 325 or 330 lbs, he might be a fairly high draft pick. Right now he's just too slow and cumbersome.
pitchcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #57
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Yeah mizzou really shut down that auburn rushing attack...
There is a huge difference in pass rush and run stuffing. Just because you matchup well with teams in one area doesn't mean you don't have weaknesses. Check their stats on sacks and hurries.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #58
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
That was not the same thing If I remember correctly. I think Shaw had a issue with falling backwards before the snap which gave the DL an advantage on when the ball was going to be snapped. Its hard to block the DL when they have an advantage on the snap count. USCBASEBALL said Clem knew whether it was a run or pass based on our alignment.
The Tenn radio announcers were calling the plays based on alignment and it had nothing to do with Shaw. They knew whether it was a run or pass and which direction simply from the way they guys were lining up and mentioned this was noticed from the film review.

The whole premise of being tipped off by Shaw was ridiculous. Anyone who has ever played dline will tell you pre snap they are trying to pay as little attention to the QB as possible because the only thing that matters is the movement of the ball by the center.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #59
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
The Tenn radio announcers were calling the plays based on alignment and it had nothing to do with Shaw. They knew whether it was a run or pass and which direction simply from the way they guys were lining up and mentioned this was noticed from the film review.

The whole premise of being tipped off by Shaw was ridiculous. Anyone who has ever played dline will tell you pre snap they are trying to pay as little attention to the QB as possible because the only thing that matters is the movement of the ball by the center.
That may be true as well, but I know the issue with Shaw falling backwards was pointed out. DC's will study offenses and find little glitches that can give a defense an advantage. Im sure their DC also noticed Shaw falling backwards before the snap and I bet he told his defense to be aware. I have noticed since the UTk game that Shaw has stopped falling backwards before the snap, hopefully the alignment issue can be fixed as well.
JDRAY^# is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #60
USC_The_Cheetah
Walk On

Male

USC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spursUSC_The_Cheetah has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UScott View Post
What drives me crazy with your OL is they come off their blocks way to quickly a lot of times, then turn and watch as the QB or HB is getting tackled. Is that coaching or player effort? Probably both. Block until the whistle blows, that's what GREAT teams do. I do like Elliott though.
THIS!

The Corner Has Been Turned ~ Go Gamecocks!
USC_The_Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote