CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
ReadR00ster
4gamecockfb
sporkgod50
OscarTheGrouch
Acockolypse Now
markp_vip
RGHoskins
bigdog2003
GoldenSpur7
Diamond DeSheilds, U (3172)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1262)
Gamecock Legacy recr (836)
Women's bb - Deshiel (563)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
22 ways to annoy peo (452)
Hope Springs Eternal (375)
Byron the bunny...fe (277)
*Official 2014 NHL S (207)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (202)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
how has more ESPN anounce
Name a Gamecock
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Chico McClatcher- 2015 At
Larenz Bryant update?
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Steak and eggs
2015 - Davon Durant
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB

Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Wisconsin... Played this one already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco15 View Post
Hey folks, new here obviously.

First off without sounding as if I am trying to suck up or patronize I have a ton of respect for not only your program but your fan base. South Carolina has been a team for quite some time that I enjoyed rooting for in the SEC. Not many teams I care for but I do love to watch the Gamecocks play. Looking forward to a terrific bowl game.

I'll try to give a little bit of inside into this Badgers team. It is similar to Arkansas there is no doubt. It's not a coincidence that Bielema brought the same style of play to Arkansas that he left at Wisconsin. However the Badgers are much more talented and quite honestly better coached. Most Badgers fans will tell you they are extremely happy now that Bielema left and it seems like we got a good one in Gary.

It all starts with the defense. Very good for the most part (not including the Penn State game) and Chris Borland is undoubetly one of the best defenders in the country. The kind of player you start to like even when he is playing against your team. The secondary is the weak spot. They've played well at times and had spurts where they didn't play so well. I would expect a decent day from your wide receivers.

On offense it all goes through the running backs. James White will more than likely get most of the carries (maybe 55% to 60% of total carries) but most Sconnies will tell you that Melvin Gordon is the more explosive and all around better back. Alot of people believe that if he stays after this year, which looks more and more likely, he could go down as the best Badger back ever. Pretty high praise. (Montee Ball, Ron Dayne, etc) Wisconsin loves to run Gordon on a jet sweep around the edge or fake it and go up the middle with White. Alot of the yards they gain on the ground come from these plays. Outside, Jared Abbrederis is one of the most undervalued players in the B1G and maybe college football. Pedersen is also a great tight end. The problem is the guy throwing the football. Joel Stave has been terribly inconsistent. When he is on, the offense is very difficult to stop but when he's off its ugly (see Penn State). Luckily for the Badgers he seems to do better in warm weather so we'll see how it goes.

Overall I think Wisconsin is a much better team than what their 9-3 record says. A 1TD loss to Tattoo State University and a fluke loss on a blown call at Arizona State. Obviously the Penn State game is the goat in the room.

Hopefully that little bit of insight helps and heres to good discussion going into the bowl game. If I was a betting man, I would take South Carolina, but this seems like a game where if South Carolina doesn't show up and Wisconsin does, it could be a two touchdown win and vice versa. Just on the surface looks like that good of a matchup. On Wisconsin!
Welcome aboard.
I've always like watching Wisconsin play..hard nosed...plus they always seemed to be on a noon.

How does the Wisconsin D do against speedy offensive skill guys (Damiere Byrd, Bruce Ellington).
On offense, how does Stave do? Is he one of those guys you feel comfortable throwing 25 times if the situation calls, or is he best limiting throws and relying on playaction?

I'm expecting a very tough game from the Badgers this year. Should be a fun one.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

im not going to say we will stop them, they key is going to be containing them. the key is going to be winning on first down, not letting them convert 3rd downs, and limiting big plays. the two games wisconsin lost, white and gordon didnt have any 20+ yard gains.

i think we can contain their running game, we'll have to tackle much better in the open field than we have all season to keep them from getting any 20+ yard gains. if we do give up a 20+ yard run then its going to be key to not let it end up being a td.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 127561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco15 View Post
Hey folks, new here obviously.

First off without sounding as if I am trying to suck up or patronize I have a ton of respect for not only your program but your fan base. South Carolina has been a team for quite some time that I enjoyed rooting for in the SEC. Not many teams I care for but I do love to watch the Gamecocks play. Looking forward to a terrific bowl game.

I'll try to give a little bit of inside into this Badgers team. It is similar to Arkansas there is no doubt. It's not a coincidence that Bielema brought the same style of play to Arkansas that he left at Wisconsin. However the Badgers are much more talented and quite honestly better coached. Most Badgers fans will tell you they are extremely happy now that Bielema left and it seems like we got a good one in Gary.

It all starts with the defense. Very good for the most part (not including the Penn State game) and Chris Borland is undoubetly one of the best defenders in the country. The kind of player you start to like even when he is playing against your team. The secondary is the weak spot. They've played well at times and had spurts where they didn't play so well. I would expect a decent day from your wide receivers.

On offense it all goes through the running backs. James White will more than likely get most of the carries (maybe 55% to 60% of total carries) but most Sconnies will tell you that Melvin Gordon is the more explosive and all around better back. Alot of people believe that if he stays after this year, which looks more and more likely, he could go down as the best Badger back ever. Pretty high praise. (Montee Ball, Ron Dayne, etc) Wisconsin loves to run Gordon on a jet sweep around the edge or fake it and go up the middle with White. Alot of the yards they gain on the ground come from these plays. Outside, Jared Abbrederis is one of the most undervalued players in the B1G and maybe college football. Pedersen is also a great tight end. The problem is the guy throwing the football. Joel Stave has been terribly inconsistent. When he is on, the offense is very difficult to stop but when he's off its ugly (see Penn State). Luckily for the Badgers he seems to do better in warm weather so we'll see how it goes.

Overall I think Wisconsin is a much better team than what their 9-3 record says. A 1TD loss to Tattoo State University and a fluke loss on a blown call at Arizona State. Obviously the Penn State game is the goat in the room.

Hopefully that little bit of insight helps and heres to good discussion going into the bowl game. If I was a betting man, I would take South Carolina, but this seems like a game where if South Carolina doesn't show up and Wisconsin does, it could be a two touchdown win and vice versa. Just on the surface looks like that good of a matchup. On Wisconsin!
Solid first post. Welcome to the board. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think the difference is the Badgers offensive line, QB, and running backs are better than Arkansas' .. by a big margin.

Scheme wise, yeah, probably similar .. but the Badgers have better players.
Also, despite the score, Arkansas was gashing us with big runs. They were blown out because the QB was scared and the passing game non-existent.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Wisco15
Walk On

Male

Wisco15 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Welcome aboard.
I've always like watching Wisconsin play..hard nosed...plus they always seemed to be on a noon.

How does the Wisconsin D do against speedy offensive skill guys (Damiere Byrd, Bruce Ellington).
On offense, how does Stave do? Is he one of those guys you feel comfortable throwing 25 times if the situation calls, or is he best limiting throws and relying on playaction?

I'm expecting a very tough game from the Badgers this year. Should be a fun one.
As is somewhat common knowledge, the Big Ten is more of a power conference than a speed conference so the most speed and skill guys they've seen this year would be from OSU and BYU. OSU had some success, but the Badgers stepped their game up late in Columbus and nearly won. BYU (obviously a COMPLETELY different animal than South Carolina) was known coming into Madison for their speed and skill and the Badger defense was extremely succesful in shutting them down. I do not think they have seen speed and skill quite on the same level they may from USC, other than Ohio State. What I can tell you, is in years past going into bowl games the question has been raised as to how Wisconsin could compete with the speed they would face and more times than not they did quite well (Miami, Auburn, Arkansas with Jones and McFadden). Honestly time will tell. Linebackers for Wisconsin are very very good so they should be instrumental in any possible successful containment.

As far as Stave, he is absolutely not a guy we would like to see throw often. He is just to inconsistent. Again, this has been more of late, where temps up here have gotten lower. Early in the season he was doing okay. Wisconsin will rely heavily on play action passes to both Jared Abbrederis and Jacob Pedersen.
Wisco15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
TheGarnetArmy
Banned

Male

TheGarnetArmy has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLarry View Post
I live in Arkansas and my girlfriend is a Razorbacks fan, so I've watched every televised Arkansas game this year. I've never watched a Wisconsin game. Nevertheless, I can say with confidence that Wisconsin's coach is better than Arkansas' coach (because it would be impossible to be any worse than Fred Flintstone Bielema)
You know Arkansas coach is Wisconsin's old coach, right?
TheGarnetArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
LawyerLarry
Recruit

Male

LawyerLarry has feathers coming inLawyerLarry has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarnetArmy View Post
You know Arkansas coach is Wisconsin's old coach, right?
Yes. I was trying to be funny while at the same time pointing out that Wisconsin is better now than they used to be with Bielema.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Socom Elite
Walk On

Male

Socom Elite has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Well, we thought we were better than Iowa one year and got our ass handed to us.

At this level you're not going to play a team that sucks.
Unless your WV playing in the Orange Bowl.
Socom Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #29
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

[quote=CoverTwo;4023401]I think the difference is the Badgers offensive line, QB, and running backs are better than Arkansas' .. by a big margin.

Scheme wise, yeah, probably similar .. but the Badgers have better player

Before you reach that conclusion, go watch espn3 Wisconsin vs Penn State. Penn State put 330 yards passing, held those tow great backs to 120 yards combined. Wisconsin LT is big and Slow, he was beat so many times I stopped counting. Wisconsin QB was so bad, they put Tanner at QB today. Their DB's are as good as Arkansas. It is still Wiscoonsin, but they are not that good. Gamecocks 42, Wisconsin 10.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #30
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
Wisconsin was third in total offense and second in total defense in the Big 10. They also had two guys over 1000 yards rushing, each averaging over 100 yards per game. Here is a link to the Big Ten Stats:

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/m...0-Notebook.htm
Yeah, and they didn't play anybody, might have soemthing to do with why they rank so high.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #31
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
We have no chance. Wisconsin is the best team in the universe.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #32
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom Elite View Post
Unless your WV playing in the Orange Bowl.
Well played.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #33
50ktight
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
I have to imagine our game strategy will be very similar to that of the Arkansas game. The razorbacks didn't have the type of players to fully run the system, but it gives a very close comparison.

I.E. Arkansas also has two runningbacks in the 1000 yard range (1026, 900)

I feel confident we can stop Wisconsin.
We need to win on 1st down while on defense, and we need to convert red zone trips to tds not fgs. This is not a team that is built to come back if we get a lead. They are a very physical team. It will be a tough one
50ktight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #34
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
They can throw the ball. Arky could not when we played them.
actually they are ranked 90th in passing offense.....but 8th in rushing offense....total offense 490 yards a game (18th)....not to shabby.....although it is against a weaker schedule. They are 6th in total defense.

We better come ready to play.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #35
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
actually they are ranked 90th in passing offense.....but 8th in rushing offense....total offense 490 yards a game (18th)....not to shabby.....although it is against a weaker schedule.
I agree we should stop them and not only that, we should beat them soundly. Connor Shaw has a point to prove.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #36
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

We are going to have to play grown man football up front. Linebackers are going to have to hit the right holes and linemen are going to have to stay disciplined and stay in their lanes too.

We got just under a month to prepare for their running game. Those practices should do a lot of good.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #37
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

I've never been afraid to pick Wisconsin on my parlet cards ..
Wisconsin = Rock'm sock'm football
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #38
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

This team has one more record to set! Linebackers better bring it. Hopefully we'll be injury free and set the tone for next year.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
SudsMcBucky
Walk On

Male

SudsMcBucky has hatched from the shell

[quote=fridayserv;4024553]
Quote:
I think the difference is the Badgers offensive line, QB, and running backs are better than Arkansas' .. by a big margin.

Before you reach that conclusion, go watch espn3 Wisconsin vs Penn State. Penn State put 330 yards passing, held those tow great backs to 120 yards combined. Wisconsin LT is big and Slow, he was beat so many times I stopped counting. Wisconsin QB was so bad, they put Tanner at QB today. Their DB's are as good as Arkansas. It is still Wiscoonsin, but they are not that good. Gamecocks 42, Wisconsin 10.

There is no doubt the PSU game was just plain bad, kinda like your game against TN. No, we did not put Tanner at QB because our Stave was so bad. That practice was a developmental practice for the younger guys, and since Tanner wants to compete at QB next year, he participated in that practice at the QB position to get reps.

I like SC's QB, Shaw. He and his brother happened to play HS ball at my son's school, so we got to watch them both play often.

I would agree, though, that I'm most concerned about our LT on Clowney. He could get destroyed. His only real hope is that our OC devises a scheme to run away from Clowney and get him disinterested and become a non-factor. If SC jumps to a big lead and we are forced into obvious passing situations, it could get ugly for Marz.

I think you'll see us utilize the jet sweep a little more than we did against MN and PSU to keep Clowney at home and help open things up in the middle. Should be a good game. I'm excited for a new opponent for once!

On Wisconsin!!!
SudsMcBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
Wisco15
Walk On

Male

Wisco15 has hatched from the shell

[quote=fridayserv;4024553]
Quote:

You have to understand though that not only was the Penn State game the worst I have seen Wisconsin play all year but hands down the worst I have seen any Badger team play in over 5 years. Some days it is just not your day. McEvoy was put at QB because the older guys got the day off and practice was geared toward younger guys and guys who don't play much and in Tanner's case why not get him some QB reps in case he is to compete for the job next year. The one thing you are right about is Marz, the LT. He's the weak spot. However I would expect some schemes that make sure Marz isn't dealing with Clowney one on one on a regular basis. I've said it before, if I was forced to bet on this one I would probably take SC by 3 points or so, but if you think Wisconsin will only put up 10 and SC will put up 42 you are crazy.
Wisco15 is offline   Reply With Quote