CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurrier_Superior_On
sporkgod50
GoldenSpur7
RGHoskins
TAFC 5 1981
Dizzy01
ReadR00ster
Cockhornleghorn
Rebel4ever
OscarTheGrouch
Diamond DeSheilds, U (1884)
how has more ESPN an (1146)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (884)
Gamecock Legacy recr (661)
Attendance next seas (479)
Clemson's At It Agai (450)
Women's bb - Deshiel (392)
$15 home AC (306)
22 ways to annoy peo (284)
Why sports will alwa (209)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
how has more ESPN anounce
Clemson's At It Again
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
One thing I was glad to s
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Connor Mitch
I got robbed in broad day
Victor Hampton Arrested

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rumor that the 4 Team Playoff will still NOT ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
You should check into the recent meetings of the heads of Conferences on
why they are currently expanding and developing the so called Super
Conferences. The MAJOR reason is to eventually pull away from the NCAA
to separate themselves from the mid / lower tier Div 1AA teams that are
currently "holding hostage" a lot of decisions (athletic, academic, and just
general political) made within the current college structure. The large
schools are basically held to the same standards as schools like MTSU,
Fla Atlantic, Eastern Mich, Bowling Green Etc... Simply because they
threaten to sue at every turn if the NCAA allows the "Big Schools" more
say in any matter that comes up for vote, even though they contribute less than
20% of what those bigger schools do. It's the ONLY reason Northern
Illinois was allowed to participate in the BCS bowl games last year, and
the BCS (who claims that all their selection guidelines are totally unbiased
and mostly computer generated) made sure that NI made it into the top
14 in the BCS simply to give them a BCS bowl bid because No. Ill. threatened
to sue if they weren't allowed in . If (as you say) this new selection
committee forms committees to prevent such law suits under this new
system, and tries to make this new structure "fair" to those lower tier
teams, then you will eventually see the SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12 and
the PAC 10 form their own governing body, and pull away from even this
new format. Schools like UT, Texas, Alabama, Fla State etc... are tired
of being held to the same standards as schools like Miami Oh, North TX
State and the likes now. It may still happen even if the new system works
out and even IF they expand it to 6 or 8 teams in the future. ... This
formation of a new level in College Football has already begun and may
well happen in the near future. ...... What you and some call Fair, is
simply a different way of calling the playoffs an Affirmative Action System.
I agree with all you said. Because I like the tradition of college football, I would like to see D1 stay together and not form super conferences. Yet, I know it will happen. I don't have a problem with the creation of a higher level of football for the major conferences, but I worry about how some of the schools will try to change the rules.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
Clemson is not ranked high enough to make any of the major bowls under the new playoff format. Using current rankings and the new playoff system there would be 4 SEC teams and we would be in either the Orange or Peach.
I thought the Orange Bowl is ACC (not in the playoff) vs Sec big ten or ND.

Is there a limit on how high they're ranked?

Yea B38 posted it, so Clemson would still be in the orange bowl.
Unless you're saying Duke is ACC #2
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #43
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Not to mention the woman knows a shitload about football.

But to many, no one should be on the committee that never played/coached. And God forbid the non player/coach be a woman. (Yeah...I went there.)
She's also brilliant, probably one of the top minds on the planet. Rice should be running the country. I'm sure she can handle this job. She's good at everything she does and is multi-dimensional.

This job is more about the politics of football than it is about playing the actual game. She wouldn't have accepted the position if she had not been confident she could do it well.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #44
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I thought the Orange Bowl is ACC (not in the playoff) vs Sec big ten or ND.

Is there a limit on how high they're ranked?

Yea B38 posted it, so Clemson would still be in the orange bowl.
Unless you're saying Duke is ACC #2
The selection committee will send the highest ranked teams to the big bowls. So, essentially the top 9 or 10 teams get bids. Only one team from each of the 5 major conferences is assured a bid. A conference must have multiple teams in the top 10 to get multiple bids. This year FSU is the only ACC team in the top 10 and not available to the Orange bowl so another conference would fill the slot.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #45
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
The selection committee will send the highest ranked teams to the big bowls. So, essentially the top 9 or 10 teams get bids. Only one team from each of the 5 major conferences is assured a bid. A conference must have multiple teams in the top 10 to get multiple bids. This year FSU is the only ACC team in the top 10 and not available to the Orange bowl so another conference would fill the slot.
So what was the point of B38s post?
And the orange bowl saying that their Tie in is ACC vs SEC/BigTen/ND?

I though the selection committee only determined the 4 team playoff.

Also you do know the highest ranked "mid major" champ goes to the BCS bowl too right?
So UCF would still be in a big bowl.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

8-team at most .. any more would add too many games and make the regular season not as important
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
B-G
Two Deep

Male

Just to add to this.

I see nothing where it says you have to be in the top 10 in this.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...inning-in-2015

Quote:
The Orange will take the ACC champion beginning in 2014, the first year of the new playoff. In years when the champion is ranked in the top four and plays in the playoff, that champion will be replaced by another ACC team. The two entities have a similar relationship in the BCS with the ACC champion contracted to the Orange Bowl through the end of the current BCS deal (2014 bowls).
Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #48
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
So what was the point of B38s post?
And the orange bowl saying that their Tie in is ACC vs SEC/BigTen/ND?

I though the selection committee only determined the 4 team playoff.

Also you do know the highest ranked "mid major" champ goes to the BCS bowl too right?
So UCF would still be in a big bowl.
As best as I can understand (which is a signifcant challange), the committe will pick the 4 teams in the playoffs without regard to conference affiliation. That means the SEC could get all 4....will the committee ever do that probably not, but at least the SEC will get at least 2 if that's where they are ranked. The 2 final four games will rotate between 6 bowls. Then the other 4 bowls will still have their original tie-ins based on conference affiliation. What will make it difficult going forward will depend on which conference teams are in the final 4 and how many of them are from the same conference. When these rules came out months ago, I read a really good blog explaining everything......what I got out of that blog was the SEC could very well get 2 teams in the final four and also get 2 more teams in the other 4 bowls assuming their ranking justified the bowl requirements. So out of the 12 teams in the major bowls under next year's rules including the final four, the SEC would have gotton 4 teams based on this year's ranking. Also, the final game does not have a bowl tie-in and will only be known as the championship game.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #49
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
allow more than two Teams from any one Conference. If the SEC stands for that they are foolish. This is why the formed a committee so they can keep more than two SEC Teams from getting in. This is no more than Political garbage if true but if you think about it that's all the committee can be created for. I mean it's obvious that 1 should play 4 and 2 plays 3 but evidently that is at the discretion of this " new " committee.
If that happens, there could be situation where there are riots in the streets.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #50
B-G
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
As best as I can understand (which is a signifcant challange), the committe will pick the 4 teams in the playoffs without regard to conference affiliation. That means the SEC could get all 4....will the committee ever do that probably not, but at least the SEC will get at least 2 if that's where they are ranked. The 2 final four games will rotate between 6 bowls. Then the other 4 bowls will still have their original tie-ins based on conference affiliation. What will make it difficult going forward will depend on which conference teams are in the final 4 and how many of them are from the same conference. When these rules came out months ago, I read a really good blog explaining everything......what I got out of that blog was the SEC could very well get 2 teams in the final four and also get 2 more teams in the other 4 bowls assuming their ranking justified the bowl requirements. So out of the 12 teams in the major bowls under next year's rules including the final four, the SEC would have gotton 4 teams based on this year's ranking. Also, the final game does not have a bowl tie-in and will only be known as the championship game.
Agreed.

And the way I read that was that the Clemson would still play in the orange bowl. And from their other Tie Ins they have, it would be against Us, Mizzou or Ohio State.
But also from looking at the Bowls rules. UCF would still be in a "BCS" bowl as well.

Going by this link
http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4809833
Dec. 31 - Orange Bowl (Miami)
Dec. 31 - Chick-fil-A Bowl (Atlanta)
Dec. 31 - Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, Ariz.)
Jan. 1 - Sugar Bowl (New Orleans) - College Football Playoff
Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.) - College Football Playoff
Jan. 1 - Cotton Bowl (Arlington, Texas)
Jan. 12 - College Football Playoff Championship Game (Arlington, Texas)

If next years rules were used today the bowls would be as follows:
Playoff:
Sugar- Bama vs Auburn
Rose-Michigan State vs Florida State
Non Playoff:
Orange- Clemson vs OSU/Mizzou or Us
CFA, Cotton, Fiesta would pick between, Mizzou/OSU/us/UCF/Baylor/Oregon
Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #51
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
While I understand your point I do not agree for a couple reasons. By allowing AQ you allow all major schools a legitimate shot at the title, just like basketball tourney. Also I hate the idea of a committee an without this type of structure they will do a committee to prevent lawsuits over monopoly issues and such. Another reason, there is no way that all these conferences would agree to a playoff system without such accommodations. Lastly, I think that reputation could deny valid teams from an opportunity from a chance at the title.
The SEC SHOULDN'T agree to it WITH ACCOMMODATIONS. They were doing just fine with out a playoff. The fact that the SEC agreed to any playoffs at all IS THE ACCOMMODATION. I am just waiting for the SEC to accommodate us by having an SEC playoffs so that we can lose a couple of games and still a be alive for a championship at the end of the year.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #52
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Add 3 more teams to FBS (making it 128 teams). 8 "major" / regional conferences with 16 teams each. Each conference split into two divisions of 8 teams (east / west, north / south, whatever). Division winners play for conference championship. Produces 8 conference champions. 8 conference champions compete in an 8 team playoff for a national championship.

You can still "rotate" the major bowls like they're doing starting next year (those bowls won't have tie-ins when they're used as playoff bowls, you just expand that number out). All the remaining bowls can keep their tie-ins if they want.

Done.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #53
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post
Add 3 more teams to FBS (making it 128 teams). 8 "major" / regional conferences with 16 teams each. Each conference split into two divisions of 8 teams (east / west, north / south, whatever). Division winners play for conference championship. Produces 8 conference champions. 8 conference champions compete in an 8 team playoff for a national championship.

You can still "rotate" the major bowls like they're doing starting next year (those bowls won't have tie-ins when they're used as playoff bowls, you just expand that number out). All the remaining bowls can keep their tie-ins if they want.

Done.
I think some teams want to stay in the conferences they are in. Like most of them. So, nice blue print, but it's not practical. You can't just put teams in conferences they don't want to be in. This isn't high school. There are contracts and big money at stake.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #54
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed.

And the way I read that was that the Clemson would still play in the orange bowl. And from their other Tie Ins they have, it would be against Us, Mizzou or Ohio State.
But also from looking at the Bowls rules. UCF would still be in a "BCS" bowl as well.

Going by this link
http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4809833
Dec. 31 - Orange Bowl (Miami)
Dec. 31 - Chick-fil-A Bowl (Atlanta)
Dec. 31 - Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, Ariz.)
Jan. 1 - Sugar Bowl (New Orleans) - College Football Playoff
Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.) - College Football Playoff
Jan. 1 - Cotton Bowl (Arlington, Texas)
Jan. 12 - College Football Playoff Championship Game (Arlington, Texas)

If next years rules were used today the bowls would be as follows:
Playoff:
Sugar- Bama vs Auburn
Rose-Michigan State vs Florida State
Non Playoff:
Orange- Clemson vs OSU/Mizzou or Us
CFA, Cotton, Fiesta would pick between, Mizzou/OSU/us/UCF/Baylor/Oregon
I think your post is correct except you left off Stanford and Oklahoma and subtract Oregon. As you show, there are 4 SEC in the top 6 bowls. This is exactly how our conference will benefit going forward under the new rules.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #55
B-G
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think your post is correct except you left off Stanford and Oklahoma and subtract Oregon. As you show, there are 4 SEC in the top 6 bowls. This is exactly how our conference will benefit going forward under the new rules.
Why subtract Oregon? They finished above Oklahoma this year in 2/3 of the rankings

Last edited by B-G; 12-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
GamecockSHEP
fatfunnyguy.blogspot.com

Male

CockyCash: 36110
GamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot materialGamecockSHEP is USC mascot material

IMO there should not be any byes given in the playoff system. The goal is to have the great narrowed down to the best.

But you say a bye is a reward for a great season, no uh uh, being in the playoff for a national title is reward enough for a great season.
GamecockSHEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #57
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Not to mention the woman knows a shitload about football.

But to many, no one should be on the committee that never played/coached. And God forbid the non player/coach be a woman. (Yeah...I went there.)
wow, you certainly did...
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #58
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

In no way should conference titles play into the decision, even though it will by default. Top 4 in the BCS or AP or whatever go, period....

I'd like to see it at 8 teams, personally. And play the games as soon as the season/title games end. Don't wait a month to play them like the bowls...

Y'all want to see something cool, check this out...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/coll...ayoff-bracket/
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #59
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudly

I personally think 8 is enough. (good old 70's sitcom btw) I mean do we really think that if you look at the BCS/AP top 10 you could say that #10 is better than #1 or #9 is better than #1. if you play the top 4 teams in the nation you should have a legit national champ. REGARDLESS OF WHAT CONFERANCE THEY ARE FROM. Nobody deserves crap. Earn the spot like you earn your rank. Don't like it, go play somebody and BEAT them. Save the cinderalla luck up and beat someone for NCAA hoops.
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #60
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Beaver View Post
I personally think 8 is enough. (good old 70's sitcom btw) I mean do we really think that if you look at the BCS/AP top 10 you could say that #10 is better than #1 or #9 is better than #1. if you play the top 4 teams in the nation you should have a legit national champ. REGARDLESS OF WHAT CONFERANCE THEY ARE FROM. Nobody deserves crap. Earn the spot like you earn your rank. Don't like it, go play somebody and BEAT them. Save the cinderalla luck up and beat someone for NCAA hoops.
BOOM... Points

Why should the SEC suffer b/c our schedules are tougher than most?
If you don't like it either change conferences or stop scheduling cupcakes...

Kenny Powers