CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
Jethro Beaver
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
gsmith4776
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
gsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his combgsmith4776 is developing his comb
Default Re: Double Standard: Stanford and South Carolina

I'm with u op.

There is a bias that comes with rankings and its blatently unfair.

To fix it several things must happen:

1) no pre-season rankings. It is the dumbest most inaccurate thing in college football. Think about it....

The first rankings should come out week 8

2) no coaches or media poll. Sorry but how the hell do coaches get a vote? Is it bc they watch film from all the teams?...umm no

And the media clearly has no bias? Most of those clowns probably didn't play football, much less understand it. And u think they watch every game ? Give me a break

3) there should be no human poll but if there is then a committee should be formed whose only job is to watch every game and make fair assessments of each team. Maybe one rep from each bcs conference.

Polls and media perception had too much pull on who wins what and who is seen as good or lucky, etc... Just look at us for example. How many teams have as many wins as us the past 3 yrs?? Not many but we get shat on at every oppurtunity and get really no respect except from Vegas. In fact, Vegas should do the rankings. They pay bills on that stuff
gsmith4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
... But from now on I'll run any posts by you to make sure they're appropriate for this site. God knows we don't need irrelevant posts clogging up the internet, can't have people discussing irrelevant college football issues on a college football message board. This college football discussion board is simply too important for posts you don't deem relevant or important enough.

I agree with you 100%.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Is 11-1 Big 12 champ Baylor better than 11-1 no champ Alabama?
Only when you give a listen to Twisted Sis while reading 'Rules for Rads' will you understand what passes for today's logic. Til then, you'll have better luck arguing with a fence post.

Alinsky's logic is nothing more than a pretzel to be shaped, twisted & turned to butress one's perception - truth be damned - because ends now justify means & perception becomes reality.

If that's where we're headed, I guess time truly has passed me by.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scman View Post
Stanford won the Pac 12. We did not win the SEC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
do not bring logic into a thread
Point that is missing. Stanford back doored into Pac-12 Title game just as USC would have done with a Mizzou loss.

Stanford lost to So Cal on Nov.16, that put them a loss behind Oregon. If Oregon doesn't gack against Arizona on Nov. 24th, Oregon plays for the Pac-12 Title. Stanford would be in the same boat as USC.

The OP argument has merit.

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

no problem with the thread simply from a comparison on who deserves to be ranked higher based on resume. like you said its a toss up.
week 15 ap and coaches polls
ap stanford +1
coaches south carolina +66

week 16
ap stanford +118
coaches stanford +80

did that one win over a team that stanford already beat suddenly change the minds of that many voters? i dont agree with the concept that what you were ranked the previous week should have any bearing on where you are ranked the following week, but i dont think the voters are reevaluating resumes every week like they should. what also ends up happening is ohio state and oklahoma state lose, with baylor and stanford getting a lion's share of those lost votes due to various reasons.

at the same time i will say that if it was for selection of a 4 team playoff or 8 team playoff they would deserve the spot over us because of the conference champ thing like everybody else has said. now if we both were to get into a 8 team playoff the higher seed should be a tossup.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
Bigdsrip
Walk On

Male

Bigdsrip has hatched from the shell

As a third party I can relate my (mostly) un-biased view. To me there are two key things;
Oregon 59-14 over UT, Stanford 26-20 over Oregon, and UT 23-21 over USC (not to mention Auburn 31-24 over WSU vs Stanford 55-17 over WSU). The other one is FSU's demolishing of Clemson really diminished USC's win over them. I think most observers from afar think Clemson is nothing that special while Oregon is viewed as one of the elite teams despite their two losses. Just my 2 cents.
Bigdsrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
OP, you made great points. Ignore the peanut gallery.
Amen!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

whats the point? If you aren't #1 or #2 in the last year of BCS it doesn't matter.

There is no difference between #9 and wherever Stanford ended up.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 661
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Some people can just whine about anything.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
DJ35
4-Star

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockinILL View Post
I hate these kinds of responses....as if no one on this board is aware of that fact. Almost anytime someone makes a thread of this nature, there are others who have these kinds of responses that make discussion seem like a fool's errand.

As for this thread, the poster didn't contend that they didn't win a conference. The contention is that our records are virtually indistinguishable....PERIOD. So, why can't voters, pollsters, etc., with access to all of the pertinent information, make comparable assessments? It's because of bias! Not because of a conference championship. SC, while gaining interest, is still the ugly stepsister when other potential Cinderellas are out there.
I couldn't disagree with this more. Carolina and stanford have similar resumes, but the conference championship is( whether you like it or not)the big difference. We're not still the ugly stepsister. In fact, had we won our conference title(as stanford did)and finished the same 11-2, we would be ranked ahead of stanford and in a BCS bowl. But we did not and that is the difference.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #31
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Some people can just whine about anything.
If you don't have anything beneficial to add to the discussion get out.

"

whats the point? If you aren't #1 or #2 in the last year of BCS it doesn't matter.

There is no difference between #9 and wherever Stanford ended up."

I agree with what you are saying for this year. The bias in the polls could hurt USC next year though. I know it's a selection committee, but a USC that is 11-1 ranked #9 won't have a chance at getting int, but a 11-1 USC ranked #5 will get more discussion.

Last edited by rioninusc; 12-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
DJ35
4-Star

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
If you don't have anything beneficial to add to the discussion get out.

"

There is no difference between #9 and wherever Stanford ended up."

I agree with what you are saying for this year. The bias in the polls could hurt USC next year though. I know it's a selection committee, but a USC that is 11-1 ranked #9 won't have a chance at getting int, but a 11-1 USC ranked #5 will get more discussion.
An 11-1 USC won't be ranked #9.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #33
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

I think it all has to do with the Championship game, that extra game meant everything.

Wins late in the season are the most important for whatever reason, I think that is stupid, but that's another argument for another time. If Missouri would have lost to Texas A&M and we would have been given a shot at the SEC crown and won we would be in the exact same boat as Stanford.

Honestly, we would probably be ranked ahead of them.

The thing is then we wouldn't be reading this thread, we would be reading a thread about how we deserve the title shot over Bama because of (insert reason here).
SC Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Exactly. Stanford won their conference who has a member (Oregon) that came to Tennessee and b!tch slapped the Volunteers all over the field.....something we did not do. Congrats to Stanford.
Actually the game was at Oregon but your point is well taken

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockinILL View Post
I hate these kinds of responses.
so, you hate facts? its a fact that stanford won the pac ten and got a rose bowl berth. that has been the deal forever. again...they won their ccg..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #36
captainawesome
Blue Chip

Male

captainawesome has earned his spurscaptainawesome has earned his spurscaptainawesome has earned his spurscaptainawesome has earned his spurscaptainawesome has earned his spurscaptainawesome has earned his spurs

Another stupid fanboy thread.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #37
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
so, you hate facts? its a fact that stanford won the pac ten and got a rose bowl berth. that has been the deal forever. again...they won their ccg..
Again. They needed help, just as SCar did, to even reach the CCG. If Oregon doesn't lose to Arizona, Stanford is in the cold. The OP argument has merit. Despite both teams being in virtually identical positions the national media kept lavishing praise on Stanford for beating Oregon, despite the end of the year showing that win was not that impressive.

It goes along way to show how dangerous perception is. Mizzou was every bit as good as Auburn, but even before the SECCG the media had crowned Auburn, because of the perception of Mizzou. You could beat an 0-12 Alabama and it would still carry weight.

Tell me Ohio State deserved to be #2 before they played MSU...

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #38
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

Man. There are too many, just too many factors to look at when comparing how well two teams did during the season.

1st - Stanford has a longer recent history of sustained success than we do. I know you might say they started their run in 2010 and we in 2011, but that weighs in a voter's mind because they had 2 full years of being in the national title picture before everyone started noticing us. And even then, we are considered a "could be contender" and they have a reputation as a contender. And they seem to be a more complete team than we are, like, they dont have more WTF? type of plays than we do nor was their D struggling for a bit.

2nd - You have to look each week at how the top 25 shaped up to understand how they are ranked higher than us. You have to look at who we played and that team's perception that week. You have to look where the undefeated teams were placed and where voters were trying to fit in teams like Louisville, UCF and Northern Illinois at the time. Then you have to look at where they were ranking the top 1 loss teams at the time. Too much to look into, but we were a 1 loss team for 3 weeks before Stanford lost their first.

3rd - You have to look at where we were ranked during that time. We fell from 9th to 13th after the UGA loss and kinda stayed around that area because we didnt have a signature win during that span. We then dropped all the way down to 21st after the UT loss and had to move back up. Stanford was waiting for a loss from the top 4 and were sitting at 5 when they lost. They dropped to 13th after the loss. They beat a no 9 UCLA team and had their big win against an unbeatable looking Oregon team which got them back up to 4. They then loss to a 7-3 USC that had a 3 game win streak and didnt fall that far.

4th - They won their conference which is considered the 2nd best in the land. They are the best team in their conference and we are the 3rd depending on what people say about LSU and Texas A&M.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #39
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Stanford
Lost to a 5-7 Utah team on the road
Lost to a 9-4 Southern Cal team on the road (currently ranked #25)
Beat current #10 Oregon
Beat current #14 Arizona St twice
Beat current #17 UCLA
Beat a few other solid but unranked teams (Notre Dame and Washington)

South Carolina
Lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team on the road
Lost to an 8-4 UGA team on the road (currently ranked #22)
Beat current #8 Missouri on the road
Beat current #12 Clemson
Beat current #15 Central Florida on the road
Beat a solid but unranked Vanderbilt team

The losses are about even. The big wins are about even, although I'll give the nod to Stanford for beating ASU a second time. As far as other solid teams, Stanford had 1 more solid team on the schedule than Carolina did. Both had a few 6-6 teams on the schedule. I think the resumes are fairly similar, and I'd give Stanford a bit of a nod. However, the treatment in the BCS and the public perception is night and day different. Stanford is 5th in the BCS, we are 9th. I've seen talk saying if there were a 4-team playoff Stanford should get in it. Meanwhile I constantly hear about how South Carolina lost to Tennessee and has no right to complain about BCS, bowl situation, etc. Ummm, isn't Stanford's loss to Utah right there with Carolina's loss to Tennessee? Hell, I guarantee you Tennessee (as terrible as they are) has more talent than Utah. Yet, somehow Stanford gets a pass for losing to Utah and we get treated like we lost to Hammond High School. And yes, I consider the loss to Tennessee an all-timer of a failure that will haunt this program for years to come. But I'd like to see Stanford get the same treatment for the Utah loss.
Their Utah loss was not as bad as the UT loss.....and they have the national name recognition.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
paynemd2
Recruit

Male

paynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming in

Regardless of how it happened, Stanford won their conference championship game and that extra game was enough to move them up during the final week while we dropped a spot due to not playing. That is the big difference. You aren't going to hear any nationaly pundits discuss USC this past week because what's the point? Our season was over and we were not eligible for a BCS bowl so no need to discuss a team whose fate has been established. You can worry about next year when it gets here. If we go 11-1 or better next year in the SEC we will without a doubt be in the discussion. We have nothing to complain about
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote