CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
Lalli25
CoverTwo
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
Jethro Beaver
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Playstation 4
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
Larenz Bryant update?
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned

Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
PhoenixGamecock
72ChemE

Male

CockyCash: 500
PhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spurs
Default 2014 might be a tough year

Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?
PhoenixGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 might be a tough year

I feel pretty good about where we are offensively. Thompson will be fine as our starter and we have the WR, RB, and should have a quality O line.

Defense is where I am a bit concerned. LB will be improved, but d line won't be as good as in the past 2-4 years.. this unit will be solid, just not as dominating. Secondary is where we are in a lot of trouble. Going to have a lot of young talent getting a lot of PT. Corner is our biggest area of concern.

The schedule is a little tougher next year also. Not looking forward to the Auburn matchup @ Auburn.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I expect a great season. 10 wins would be a good start, and Atlanta would be better
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Still too early to guess.
Wait till signing day and we get our guys on campus.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
carolinamyke
Recruit

Male

carolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervous

We should be pretty good on offense IF Thompson has a greatsr year. We have Georgia and Missouri at home as well as Tennessee at home. Florida will b struggling still I believe even if we play n swamp. I think 9-3 or better can happen. We just need CB play to be adequate. I believe Ward will have D playing well
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?
You need to check other Teams in our League. A lot of those Teams you mentioned lose a lot as well.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

Its the same every year, guys leave and we are worried about positions. This year Clowney, Vic, Quarles and Sutton; but that just means another guy will step up! But we need our LB's to play well. Our DLine will get handled on the edges with our guys too skinny
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Its the same every year, guys leave and we are worried about positions. This year Clowney, Vic, Quarles and Sutton; but that just means another guy will step up! But we need our LB's to play well. Our DLine will get handled on the edges with our guys too skinny
Dixon and Thomas aren't skinny......then add in Lamin, Dixon, Dukes and Griffin in the middle. Our DL next year will be fine. And this doesn't even count the rest of our rs guys.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Is it ever easy?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
KEmmrich
Walk On

Male

KEmmrich has hatched from the shell

I thought 2013 was going to be very rough. The D-Line losses (two NFL'ers) and all the LB's meant the D had to struggle (and they did). The "O" improved, but they were still hot and cold at times. 10-2 was a major achievement for this team (maybe even an over-achievement). The team showed a lot of heart to gut out a bunch of close wins. We were only an average SEC team for most of the games.

I would like to see the "O" carry the load in 2014 and let the "D" run wild.
KEmmrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post

Actually I'm very excited about 2014 except I'm worried about the corners, particularly without Christian. The schedule sets up well except for auburn on the road. Spurrier say the team will be more talented overall next year. But the corner problem is bad. Really bad. I know we have had an unusual rash of injuries but wow.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

As mentioned, you have to look at what the teams we play will lose as well. I expect 11-1, 10-2 again. @ Auburn is looking the toughest, and every other game we should be favored or only dogs by a few points. How this class finishes out at DE and CB will be a huge factor, as will how DT performs as The Man. If he struggles, my guess is that we'll see a lot of Davis/Wilds/Williams, as well as Cooper and maybe even Noso in the mix at QB.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 398687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

I will assume we win all of our home games until someone proves otherwise.
That's 7 wins. @vandy, @uk look to be w's so thats 9.
@auburn, @ florida, @clemson will be tough but we have an open date before florida, a fcs team before auburn and a cupcake at home before clemson.
All things considered the schedule sets up really nice in terms of order of facing teams. Our hardest games all come towards the end so we have time to get better. Win at home and we could be 7-0 going to auburn and then who knows
Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
I will assume we win all of our home games until someone proves otherwise.
That's 7 wins. @vandy, @uk look to be w's so thats 9.
@auburn, @ florida, @clemson will be tough but we have an open date before florida, a fcs team before auburn and a cupcake at home before clemson.
All things considered the schedule sets up really nice in terms of order of facing teams. Our hardest games all come towards the end so we have time to get better. Win at home and we could be 7-0 going to auburn and then who knows
I don't think we will be favored against A&M, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson....and we may not be favored against Missouri or Florida. I'm not saying we'll lose all these, but the law of averages catches up with you in games where you aren't the favorite.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Definitely going to be tough, but fun. Love having that many big games.

Way too early but as of now, I don't think you can call any of Texas A&M, UGA, Missouri, Auburn, Florida, or Clemson sure wins. Assuming Marshall returns, @Auburn is a probable loss. Tennessee will be tough as well.

Any record from 5-2 to 2-5 in those games wouldn't be terribly surprising.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
BlueEagles06
Two Deep

Male

BlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPit

Watch out for Devin Wahington. Think he will be a good one at DE.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEagles06 View Post
Watch out for Devin Wahington. Think he will be a good one at DE.
If he ever gets cleared to play again. That whole having an undiagnosed concussion then suffering another concussion on top of that makes it tough to bounce back.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 398687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I don't think we will be favored against A&M, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson....and we may not be favored against Missouri or Florida. I'm not saying we'll lose all these, but the law of averages catches up with you in games where you aren't the favorite.
I think you are underestimating home great our home field advantage has become.
pretty sure we will be favored against a&m. no johnny football kills their team.
Uga at home is tough but they lose some great players and a new qb in his first road start is a huge advantage for us.
clemson loses boyd, watkins, mcdowell, beasley, catanzarro, maybe bryant and some other defensive players. we own them.
auburn is the only game you can look at and say yep we will probably lose that game.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I'm more worried about 2015... We lose a bunch on offense after next year...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Our offense will rack up yards. Will that translate into points? Idk. We will turn tge ball over way more with a gunslinger at QB.

The good thing is UGA loses murray. Clemson loses boyd. Most likly watkins. And chad morris. Flordia sucks. I kno there are more i just cant think of.

Bottom line is we will rack up yards. Im willing to say next years offense will be the best under spurrier. We'll see. It will be a totally different offense then weve had the past three years.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote