CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ertman420
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
GarnetSwarm1990
JerseyBird
Ericvol2096
RGHoskins
usc90grad
rosstheboss
thekob
Mangus now coaching (1045)
Can Tennessee get to (830)
Chick Redefines the (485)
2 Crazy things (450)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (436)
ESPN Article on HBC (428)
Spread vs. aTm (392)
The Bama series (345)
Lindy's top 100 for (341)
Ronald McDonald Gets (158)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
Get it while it's hot
Spurrier would take Clown
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Clowney's NFL Draft Promo
Spread vs. aTm
Playstation 4
2 Crazy things
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2001 vs Sandstorm

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 might be a tough year

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I don't think we will be favored against A&M, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson....and we may not be favored against Missouri or Florida. I'm not saying we'll lose all these, but the law of averages catches up with you in games where you aren't the favorite.
We will be a under dog in likely one of those games imo and that will be Mizzo and we get them at home. Our Offense will not miss a beat with a prepared Dylan Thompson. I also expect to see some of Nosovitch when we need a better runner at QB tho he is a pretty good passer. I have to see our recruiting play out on Defense before I have a better feel for them but I fully expect the LB's to be much better. Quite frankly the DL can be just as good even losing Clowney. IMO Clowney was not motivated this year and did not play full speed at times. We basically got nothing out of Sutton. I think a hungry group of DE's will surprise some folks. CB - I have no idea. Feel real good about Rico but have no idea from their.

Let me make that 2 games. We will certainly be underdogs at Auburn.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

We are the youngest team in America, just went 10-2 with that young team, our schedule is favorable next season, our rooster is loaded with talent. It is tough every year in the SEC, as it should be, but we will have a team that ready to make a run to ATL. IMO, we should win every game except maybe at Auburn. We will be favored in every home game, and maybe favored in all the games except Auburn. But as mentioned above, it depends on how the new guys at the other teams perform. Maybe UF gets back on top, maybe the new QB at A&M will be another Johnny, same for UGA, etc...
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
markp_vip
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?
If you are implying our 4 losses come at the hands of Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, and Florida I really don't see us losing even 2 of those games. Auburn will be tough. Florida may be better than this year, but still not world beaters. Georgia has a new QB to break in. We get Missouri at home and have beaten them the last two years anyway. We have a very capable experienced QB in Dylan and a couple talented although unproven QB's fighting for the job. I think we will be fine.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.

Last edited by markp_vip; 12-10-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Misread A&M for Auburn
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
We will be a under dog in likely one of those games imo and that will be Mizzo and we get them at home. Our Offense will not miss a beat with a prepared Dylan Thompson. I also expect to see some of Nosovitch when we need a better runner at QB tho he is a pretty good passer. I have to see our recruiting play out on Defense before I have a better feel for them but I fully expect the LB's to be much better. Quite frankly the DL can be just as good even losing Clowney. IMO Clowney was not motivated this year and did not play full speed at times. We basically got nothing out of Sutton. I think a hungry group of DE's will surprise some folks. CB - I have no idea. Feel real good about Rico but have no idea from their.

Let me make that 2 games. We will certainly be underdogs at Auburn.
The more I think about it we may not be a underdog to Mizzou. Will need to see that one play out.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPitbehindenemylines rules the CockPit

I dont worry any more. I feel like we are in reload instead of rebuild stage.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spurs

I think next year we win 12 games. That's just me I'm sure
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1667066
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

Anything less than a trip to Atlanta is a disappointment. Everyone loses players. We will have a senior QB, all SEC tailback and WRs, a good OLine, and a young but experienced defense (except at CB).
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
uscjeremynca
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

The one positive thing about our corners - nearly every solid SEC team will be losing their QB. For those that aren't, their QBs aren't that great anyways (at least throwing the ball).
Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I have made that mistake from time to time - thinking "wow next year might be tough"...but it's way too early to fret over that. We might have a "Johnny Manziel" at any number of positions show up.

I too am a little concerned over some depth at crucial defensive positions, but we have found a way to make all those work in recent years. You have to have faith that these coaches (who have earned that faith and respect) know what we have and that they have the players and talent needed to plug and play that talent to fill all of the voids.

At first glance I think we will be AWESOME on offense and good across the dline. We'll need some tuning in the secondary...but I think we'll get that.

Personally I could see us as a somewhat improved team over THIS YEAR'S team. Records are not the results of OUR improvement, but our improved as compared to other teams. So in that department ANYTHING at this stage is a guess.

I'll think we'll be okay though and start out highly ranked and play them all one game at a time.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Again, we will be fine. Our baby corners, young but battle tested safeties and LB's and DL, our MONSTER OL and field general QB, heisman candidate RB, and absolute STUD WR core
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #31
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?
Many said the same thing about this year, how did that work out? Spurrier will reload and we will be in the mix again same as the last 3 years! Tons of young talent on this team, a few will step up and make a name for themselves in 2014! We will have a experience everywhere except CB on defense but with experienced safeties to help them early we will be fine, the LB's and DL will have talent and depth. The offense will have experience weapons at every position and be potent with a very good running game and an offseason to get the QB's ready to manage a game. Our recruiting class will close well and be on par with our past 5 classes with a few hidden gems as usual.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

why are so many people expecting 8-4? That's not cool. We are better than that, and it's because of Spurrier. He built the foundation to win, and we finally have it now. We have one of the best RB's and two of the best WR's i(Byrd and Shaq... do we still we have Bruce for one more?) in the SEC. Our d-line and linebackers are EXTREMELY experienced. If we can land one or two more CB recruits and the CB's we have now work their butts off, we can be right back in the mix of things this time next year. We will be better than UGA, UF, Clemson, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Vandy. Auburn and A&M will be battles, but if we don't get at least 9 wins I'll be surprised
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I only really worry about our secondary. Should compete for SEC East title.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

If we get good QB play our O should be explosive.

On Defense everything is up in the air right now. We have 1 CB that has played a handful of snaps. And just 2 more on the team and 1 of them may transfer. We're screwed at CB.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #35
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

Everyone that you are worried about will have unproven qbs with much less experience than DT. As bad as A&M is on defense and no Manziel or Evans on offense , I'd be shocked if we are a home underdog to them
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I must be the only fan who never thought this year's schedule was as easy as most believed. We had to go to UGA and had three road conference games on consecutive weekends. Who, in their right mind, would think that is easy, regardless of who the opponents were?

That brings me to the 2014 schedule. On paper we have tougher opponents in A&M and Auburn, but we get A&M at home, and by the time we play Auburn our team SHOULD have worked out any kinks. It will definitely be tough since they COULD return all but one offensive starter next year, if all the juniors stay.

Anyway, while it's not going to be a cakewalk, I actually like next year's schedule more than I did this year's, even before we lost our two games.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #37
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Again, we will be fine. Our baby corners, young but battle tested safeties and LB's and DL, our MONSTER OL and field general QB, heisman candidate RB, and absolute STUD WR core
I agree with u cockybreen. Spurrier was pretty excited about the 2014 team. Maybe this was before AC decided to transfer. We have talent and depth everywhere except corner. We might have to beat some teams on O early until the baby corners grow up. But there is talent everywhere including corner.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Clemson loses waaaaaaaay more than we do.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Don't know where the idea that A&M will be any good comes from. They lost a couple key players on an already bad defense for this year and they looked awful, not surprisingly. We get them at home the first game of the year as they are still figuring out their QB and they lose Mathews and Evans for next season. I think they are ranked coming into the year and we leave with a big win that looks more impressive than it is.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #40
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
Everyone that you are worried about will have unproven qbs with much less experience than DT. As bad as A&M is on defense and no Manziel or Evans on offense , I'd be shocked if we are a home underdog to them
You don't really think they are going to stay that bad on defense though really do you? They might, but I wouldn't expect that. They will be tough, but I think we will be better.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote