CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
3MTA3
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
ertman420
bigdog2003
usc90grad
Cunningham wants to (1173)
ESPN article on Clow (775)
Clemson Georgia Game (658)
Fumble party (367)
New Led Zep releases (151)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (146)
Truly Inspiring (133)
2014 garnet and blac (84)
2 tickets for USC vs (8)
Chick Redefines the (0)
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Jordan Scarlett -
ESPN article on Clowney -
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock
2015 - Kaleb Kim
Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB

Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPitra742002 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Running Game -- Why Can't We Go Wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
They run quick screens to the WR all the time. On that play you want the tackle to try and cut off the LB and hope the other receiver can make a block.

As for the size of the line I've never been one obsessed with how big the guys are. Big and slow isn't a good combination for the zone run scheme.
I never said anything about big and slow guys being good for zone schemes. I said people on this board expected to be able to push other people around. I have NEVER once seen Carolina run a quick screen and ask a tackle to cut off the LB so he can run inside him. I quick screen is QUICK, it does not involve the offensive linemen.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #62
militarymind17
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 490
militarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his combmilitarymind17 is developing his comb

It's ok to be different. A slower tempo with checks over the D works for our offense.
militarymind17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #63
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
WHAT????
Our screen game is designed as a "key" screen. It isn't designed for our OL to get out in space and make blocks! It's based off of defensive position, pre-snap. It's a sight adjustment if you will. The play is a combo play. The inside zone and a key screen away from the running back's alignment. If the defender aligns in a certain position (determined by coaching staff) versus one of our wideouts, the quarterback will simply throw it out there to him. It's two plays built into one call. We RARELY call a designed Wideout screen. We do however call running back screens, and they have been VERY effective. I really seem to watch different ball games than you guys do. We can't have it both ways. For years people on here have screamed about bigger stronger OL who can push other DL off the ball. Well, guess what, you can't have those HUGE guys get out in space a ton and block DB's who can run circles around them. It only works once in a while.
This. When we audible to a WR screen, it's usually the WRs that audible to it, not the O-Line. I think that's a Spurrier staple, keeping the OLine in the same blocking formation, that way they have to think less and they block the same whether it was a pass play or a RB draw. Doesnt mean it's as effective as it once was.

We def need to call more designed WR screens with the OL out in front or when the WR stops and then goes underneath the coverage to catch a quick middle of the field screen.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #64
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

First series they run the WR screen and Cann made no effort to block the guy that ran right in front of him to light up Roland. Lack of effort and toughness is why screens and wide runs don't work for this team.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #65
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
For the most part, I love our running game, but we seem to completely avoid any concept of a true sweep and only occasionally are using the jet sweep which is so fashionable.

We rarely pull off a reverse successfully, even when we can use Damiere. True sweeps? It seems our convoy of blockers takes too long to get there.

Against Clemson, we had to use Connor and Pharoh to go wide, yet Mike Davis and Shon Carson are plenty fast, and last time I checked, Damiere is in the top five speed burners in the nation.

So...

When another team jams us, why don't we utilize more options to take it wide and spread the defense out?

Seriously, my concern is that contrary to popular belief, we don't block along the edges as well as some other teams. I also am not confident in our downfield blocking.

I just felt that for more than two quarters against Clemson we were banging our head against a wall, running Mike into the backs of our linemen.

I'll hang up and listen...
Don't like our zone blocking scheme......our OL lack speed to get to the edge.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #66
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I think now that Connor is gone, there will be a shift back to a more traditional scheme with D. Thompson and Connor Mitch being the focus. I love Noso, but I don't think he'll be the go-to guy. Our OL hopefully can become a massive force over the winter and summer workouts. we don't lose much at all and add a lot of talent from the class that redshirted
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote