CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
usc1
Bobby Boucher
SterlingBrooks
Mr.101
i29gman
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (6249)
NBA Wants to Up Age (736)
40 Ways You Know You (361)
South Carolina @ Aub (223)
Super-Efficient Ax (197)
Amazing a List of Us (176)
Holly Trees pruning (138)
Starz Black Sails (75)
BREAD (0)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #2
BREAD
Playstation 4
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Name a Gamecock
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2015 - Minkah Fitzpatrick

Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #261
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - D.J. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
sure the coaches are telling the same to lammons. btw, why hasn't his thread been opened back up
I asked C2 yesterday....we can always post in recruiting impressions.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #262
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtWarlick View Post
He's coming here not a take for Tenn or Clemson
Yet again, we start leading for someone and all of a sudden they aren't "takes" for other people. This is getting too predictable.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #263
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yet again, we start leading for someone and all of a sudden they aren't "takes" for other people. This is getting too predictable.
UT is already full with all their recruits.....the taters may be lying because they figured out he didn't want to go there.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #264
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtWarlick View Post
He's coming here not a take for Tenn or Clemson
I think he's "not a take" for Clemson because he doesn't want to go there and their staff is spinning it that they dumped him before he dumped them. Seems like Dabo's M.O.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #265
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
UT is already full with all their recruits.....the taters may be lying because they figured out he didn't want to go there.
^THIS

It was only after our annual beatdown game that they came out and said they were full at DB. However, they then offered another DB after Smith started talking about us more. Taters gonna tate.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #266
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I think he's "not a take" for Clemson because he doesn't want to go there and their staff is spinning it that they dumped him before he dumped them. Seems like Dabo's M.O.
Yup. They can't handle being beat by USC anymore.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #267
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

Smith is viewed as a CB by some teams and a S by others. To my understanding, CB is where he will start but being a guy that may move from CB to S may limit the interest of some teams as they don't view him as a true CB or a S.

Clem had a big DB class last year but seeing how their secondary has performed recently, they certainly could use all the help available. This is from the Clem 247 insider 28 days ago:

Quote:
Entering this stretch run of the recruiting season Clemson is the team to beat here for his services.
Given their interest level up until now as well as his during the recruiting process, I am unsure why Clem has (apparently) moved on.

With Christian leaving the program, Smith - Green - and one 1 more CB (maybe look at a few jucos?) need to be a part of this class. We cross train our DBs and Smith fits our system.
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #268
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

I think it has to do with the relationship between coaches and recruits. If DJ was asked not to visit USC, and he obviously didn't listen, he may have p.o.'d Clemson. Dabo wants to prevent his commits from visiting other schools, and I know DJ wasn't a commit, but he has been assumed to be going to Clemson for months. Remember what they told BAW when he committed to Carolina. It's obvious that the Clemson coaching will say and do anything to get a recruit, except they obviously lack the ability to tactfully change anyone's mind. They probably threatened to pull his offer if he visited.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #269
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
I think it has to do with the relationship between coaches and recruits. If DJ was asked not to visit USC, and he obviously didn't listen, he may have p.o.'d Clemson. Dabo wants to prevent his commits from visiting other schools, and I know DJ wasn't a commit, but he has been assumed to be going to Clemson for months. Remember what they told BAW when he committed to Carolina. It's obvious that the Clemson coaching will say and do anything to get a recruit, except they obviously lack the ability to tactfully change anyone's mind. They probably threatened to pull his offer if he visited.
Remember they did the same thing with Mike Davis.
Although he was a verbal commitment, he visited USC and had his offer pulled.

And in my book, verbal commitments are as binding as no commitment.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #270
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
Smith is viewed as a CB by some teams and a S by others. To my understanding, CB is where he will start but being a guy that may move from CB to S may limit the interest of some teams as they don't view him as a true CB or a S.

Clem had a big DB class last year but seeing how their secondary has performed recently, they certainly could use all the help available. This is from the Clem 247 insider 28 days ago:

Given their interest level up until now as well as his during the recruiting process, I am unsure why Clem has (apparently) moved on.

With Christian leaving the program, Smith - Green - and one 1 more CB (maybe look at a few jucos?) need to be a part of this class. We cross train our DBs and Smith fits our system.

I just heard this morning that we are evaluating several JUCO cb, FWIW. Don't know why we weren't doing this sooner.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #271
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Remember they did the same thing with Mike Davis.
Although he was a verbal commitment, he visited USC and had his offer pulled.

And in my book, verbal commitments are as binding as no commitment.

To my knowledge Mike Davis never committed to Clemson in any fashion. He was committed to Florida over a year then they went after Marshall after telling him they were done. He visited Clemson but that was it, from what I remember.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #272
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
To my knowledge Mike Davis never committed to Clemson in any fashion. He was committed to Florida over a year then they went after Marshall after telling him they were done. He visited Clemson but that was it, from what I remember.

YOu are right.
My mistake...he never made at least a public verbal commitment...but his offer was pulled after he visited USC.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #273
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his combdavisd9 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
YOu are right.

My mistake...he never made at least a public verbal commitment...but his offer was pulled after he visited USC.

Yeah, I remember there was a big stink over it and James was pretty upset. Even called Dabo out on twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #274
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Ryan Bartow of 247 says we have a big lead for Smith, and thinks he is one of the top two DB's in Georgia this cycle.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #275
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Ryan Bartow of 247 says we have a big lead for Smith, and thinks he is one of the top two DB's in Georgia this cycle.
He also said he was a cornerback and he rates him ahead of Green. He also said that he would play immediately.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #276
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
He also said he was a cornerback and he rates him ahead of Green. He also said that he would play immediately.
We need big DB's. He can play it.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #277
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

C'mon DJ, pull the trigger and be the next beast named DJ in our secondary!
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #278
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

anything new with DJ?
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #279
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
anything new with DJ?
Not really, although we still lead.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #280
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

well that's good. Hope we can hold that lead
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote