CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
markp_vip
jrussjr
G&B
SCohioBoy
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Hillsborough (479)
Larenz Bryant update (459)
2015 - Chris Clark (425)
No.1 for 2016 has Ga (343)
UK's Whitlow to tran (269)
Bamberg High School (233)
GTA V online (224)
Its April 15th and i (173)
Joeckel Transfering (166)
A'ja Wilson
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Larenz Bryant update?
response from charter abo
GTA V online
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #81
bobbycock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb
Default Re: 2014 might be a tough year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
Looking at our schedule (Auburn, Missouri, Georgia, Florida) and the key players that we are losing and probably a new, and totally untested, quarterback, 8-4 might feel real good. BTW, 8-4 is not bad, but compared to the Shaw/Clowney years, it might feel like a letdown. I wish I felt better that our recruiting this year was going better, but it appears that we are destined to a tough 2014, any comments?

speaking of recruiting...who has deke adams recruited that will fill the holes left by Sutton, quarles, and clowney?
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #82
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I don't follow CU, so I don't know if any of their draft-eligible, non-senior players will be leaving for sure (I know most believe Watkins will leave), but on paper they will only definitely lose 5 starters. Since we know we will be losing Shaw, Patrick, Clowney, Sutton, Quarles, Hampton, and Legree, we could very well lose more than just CU, and that's off the top of my head. So I think your comment is a little misinformed.
I think it's reasonable to assume we're not going to see the same level of performance from the players who replace Legree, Hampton, Clowney, Quarles, and Shaw. Those are big losses.

Of course, other teams will lose players as well. Nevertheless, I still don't think we're going to be good we were this season. Anything over 8 wins in the regular season will be icing of the cake to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #83
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

I think 9-3 on paper is a bit realistic if youre looking at how our opponents fared this past year. Think about us going into 2013, we should have been 9-3 by the end of the year with the toss ups being FL (11-1 in 2012), GA (SEC west champs) and Clemson (rival, good team record wise). Mizzou was terrible in 2012. So we lose to GA (tossup), and to UT which was a bad team. FL and Mizzou switched places and did 180s. So yeah, who knows what's going to happen once the season starts. Manziel could come back and get suspended right before our game. DT and Noso could get hurt and Mitch starts the week of the A&M game. I think that when we start seeing Spurt's practice reports, we'll get a good picture of what to expect.

What I do think is that teams will be more prepared for Auburn this time around. Yes, Malzahn will tinker with things, but he snuck on the conference this year. Spurrier at FL blew up SEC defenses because they werent ready for the passing attack, though out in the PAC-10, they were always passing the ball around. The same goes for Georgia's passing game (texas recruited QBs), Urban Meyer's system (innovative plus top recruiting and coaching) and now Auburn (innovative and no-huddle). Actually, why do you think we are so successful? We added the read-option which only a few teams in our conference run.

I mentioned in a different post that to prepare for Malzahn's attack, you really only have a week (2 practice days, maybe some film days) for something they havent seen that much and yet 4 other teams were pretty close to stopping them. This not counting the 2 7-5 non Cam Newton Chizik teams where Malzahn was coordinator.

I just think that given a whole offseason, and the money paid to the D-Coordinators, they will find a way to slow down or stop this offense.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #84
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhatguy View Post
I think 9-3 on paper is a bit realistic if youre looking at how our opponents fared this past year. Think about us going into 2013, we should have been 9-3 by the end of the year with the toss ups being FL (11-1 in 2012), GA (SEC west champs) and Clemson (rival, good team record wise). Mizzou was terrible in 2012. So we lose to GA (tossup), and to UT which was a bad team. FL and Mizzou switched places and did 180s. So yeah, who knows what's going to happen once the season starts. Manziel could come back and get suspended right before our game. DT and Noso could get hurt and Mitch starts the week of the A&M game. I think that when we start seeing Spurt's practice reports, we'll get a good picture of what to expect.

What I do think is that teams will be more prepared for Auburn this time around. Yes, Malzahn will tinker with things, but he snuck on the conference this year. Spurrier at FL blew up SEC defenses because they werent ready for the passing attack, though out in the PAC-10, they were always passing the ball around. The same goes for Georgia's passing game (texas recruited QBs), Urban Meyer's system (innovative plus top recruiting and coaching) and now Auburn (innovative and no-huddle). Actually, why do you think we are so successful? We added the read-option which only a few teams in our conference run.

I mentioned in a different post that to prepare for Malzahn's attack, you really only have a week (2 practice days, maybe some film days) for something they havent seen that much and yet 4 other teams were pretty close to stopping them. This not counting the 2 7-5 non Cam Newton Chizik teams where Malzahn was coordinator.

I just think that given a whole offseason, and the money paid to the D-Coordinators, they will find a way to slow down or stop this offense.
Quite the doomsday scenario. No, we never know what will happen. However, Thompson has been on the team for four years, and he's been injured once (the infamous "sleeping" injury). He and Nosovitch have been ready to play every game this season, so I doubt they're going to go down in spring practice, summer workouts, or fall camp.

I agree with Spurrier. We have a very talented team for 2014, and it's going to be a great year.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #85
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Might be or will be?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #86
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Except all those other teams have highly rated recruits coming in. Right now, SC is 10th in the SEC in terms of recruiting class ranking.
Our average recruit rating is very comparable to most other SEC schools, we just have less recruits. But, this has already been discussed ad nauseum. Just know that other recruiting classes are not that much better than ours. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure Mizzou showed everyone this year that stars aren't everything. Go back and look at their recruiting classes the past 3-4 years...not terrible but nothing compared to most other SEC schools.
Pty23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #87
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycock View Post
speaking of recruiting...who has deke adams recruited that will fill the holes left by Sutton, quarles, and clowney?

Well, we don't recruit just by position but by territory. But we have Kelsey Griffin (he was redshirted), Abu Lamin, Taylor Stallworth and Jhaustin Thomas to be added to Surratt, both Dixons, Dukes, English, Harris, and Deon Green as well as Devin Washington, Devonte and possibly Gerald Turner who also redshirted last year. Talent is there. Got to get them to play and get stronger.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #88
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

I expect us to compete and be in every game. We might have to outscore some people next year with an inexperienced D-line and secondary but I trust in our coaches. They'll get the boys ready.

A&M won't be great. Most likely losing Manziel and Evans.
Auburn will be a very good team
Georgia will be rebuilding their offense some (passing game mostly)
Mizzou is losing their qb and one of their top recievers, also 6 players on defense.
Florida will always be tough playing in the swamp, but we can play with anybody guys.

I like our chances next year. I like our chances against anybody.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #89
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I actually think our DL will be better next year than this year. They will be under estimated. We're going to have more strong dudes. Especially if we get can Doobie out there.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #90
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

I hope Jhaustin comes in early enough to understand our system and gell with the unit. He'll be a junior correct? Can't afford to have him take a while to learn everything. Him and English off the right side should be a good tandem.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #91
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Hi there and welcome to gamecock football. We are in the SEC east and therefore play Georgia Florida and Missouri every season. UGA and UF could field the worst combined teams since the 70's next season.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #92
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

No matter how you spin it, our recruiting has been horrible. I'm tired of people making excuses as to why we aren't getting major players. Don't give me the BS "3 star recruit is just as good as the 5 star recruit" treatment either.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #93
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
No matter how you spin it, our recruiting has been horrible. I'm tired of people making excuses as to why we aren't getting major players. Don't give me the BS "3 star recruit is just as good as the 5 star recruit" treatment either.
It must have been awful. Just us and Bama have had 3 straight years with wins of 10 or more in the SEC. We rank tied for third for record against ranked teams over the last 5 years. Yes it is really bad.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #94
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Because they put 860+ yards on the 2 top rushing defenses in the conference. After the SECCG Missouri's rushing defense went from 14th in the country, to 49th, they ran for over 540+ yards on them, Mizzou held Mike Davis to 75 yards.
But 2 weeks prior, they should've lost to UGA. I can pick and choose which games to use as a barometer too...we had 537 yds vs Ark and they only had 366 yds.Also, Auburn gave up 348 and we gave up 227, just three weeks after we played them.
Mike Davis avg 6.6 yds/carry and Mason avg 5.3 yds/carry
rrsandersjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #95
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

Quote:
It's about evaluating talent man. Just because the websites have a guy as a 4* doesn't mean he'll be a good player in our system. Developing talent is how you win. Our coaches do a fantastic job at that.

Could we land some higher caliber players? Absolutely and I bet everybody here feels like we should be. 3 straight 10 win regular seasons and a chance at a 3rd straight 11 win season is hard to argue with. It would be great to get the recruits that Bama, Georgia and Florida get every year but lets face the fact. We aren't as big of a name as other school yet. When the state of South Carolina has a down year in terms of caliber of recruits then we are going to have a down year in recruiting.

And at the end of it all. Kids are fickle. They change their minds all the time. I have a feeling though. Once we finish our upgrades and our new facilities. We'll get some of those guys
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #96
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
It's about evaluating talent man. Just because the websites have a guy as a 4* doesn't mean he'll be a good player in our system. Developing talent is how you win. Our coaches do a fantastic job at that.
I just said I didn't want to hear any excuses. That argument makes no sense anyway. If it did then Clowney & Lattimore should have been rated 2 stars.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #97
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
It must have been awful. Just us and Bama have had 3 straight years with wins of 10 or more in the SEC. We rank tied for third for record against ranked teams over the last 5 years. Yes it is really bad.
The recruiting isn't "awful" but it's mediocre by SEC standards and is not mirroring our success on the field. Sustained success is not possible in the SEC without BOTH top-notch recruiting AND top-notch coaching.

Quite frankly, with the success USC has been having on the field, we should have been able to parlay that into significantly better recruiting than we've seen.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #98
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I just said I didn't want to hear any excuses. That argument makes no sense anyway. If it did then Clowney & Lattimore should have been rated 2 stars.
What about Sydney Rice and Connor Shaw? They were 3* guys. Connor is the winningest QB in history here and Sydney is one of the best recievers.

It's not excuses if its truth.

If you think getting 4 and 5 star guys builds winning programs just look at clemson. They out recruit us a lot in terms of stars but we've beaten them 5 straight times and have had similar or better records each year. It's not all about getting 4 and 5 star guys.

Skai Moore was a 3*. He may very well end up as one of the best linebackers ever to play here. Too early to tell.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #99
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
Manziel is gone
Yea with all the stuff that happened this offseason plus he is being said to be taken in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
If Connor Mitch is our starting QB against Texas A&M then I'm giving everybody on this board $20
Theres a good possibility Connor will start at some time next year just depends on how Dylan looks. This season it seems he took a step back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Tough to see a RS freshman who has not played one snap of college ball beat out a senior QB who has won us a few ballgames.
It's happened a lot lately actually.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #100
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Default 2014 might be a tough year

Yea but that doesn't happen with every player. In order to best Bama and the other big houses in the SEC you better get the talent to do so. Ever thought that that is one of the reasons we don't have an SEC Championship.

Look at Bama, Auburn, Georgia & Florida.

All recruit well and not just in the SEC but the entire nation.