CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
sporkgod50
2000grad
usc1
ReadR00ster
Thenardier
rosstheboss
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
Kelcy and Vic questi (3605)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
I like how Frank sou (843)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (638)
Hillsborough (394)
2015 - Chris Clark (386)
Sweet Corn!!! (271)
GTA V online (174)
Bamberg High School (157)
Its April 15th and i (140)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Larenz Bryant update?
A'ja Wilson
Hillsborough
Ahh...The Masters
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No.1 for 2016 has Gamecoc
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
Aggie Spring Depth Chart

Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Getting to Know Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdsrip View Post
Yeah Borland grew up a Wisconsin fan and committed on the spot when we offered him at camp. He played mostly RB in high school and for a time it looked like his best shot to get a ride was as a punter. Before he got hurt this year he was going to be our FG kicker on any kicks from 45 on out. Kid is a ridiculous athlete with the added bonus of having a great head on his shoulders. I expect him to play for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZleTrSwyE
Hmmm a linerbacker who specializes in long kicks.. k got it lol.

BTW, does Wisconsin have a good board to visit?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 200
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

The name you should fear getting hot is Connor Shaw...not Conner, not connar, not Khanner...Connor.
He can make ALL the throws, he's faster than you think and isn't afraid to get an extra yard or two. The kid wins, he's 17-0 at home as as starter and 22-5 overall---Or something close to that.

We have 3 WR that are, while not superstars, solid go to receivers.
Nick Jones is streaky and inconsistent but he usually gets 4-5 targets and 2-3 critical catches a game.
Bruuuuuuuuce Ellington, he is are stud WR. he can make impossible catches (see 4th & goal TD vs Mizzou to get into OT). he is shifty and a point guard so he is quick and agile with great hands.
Shaq Roland, this young man has the talent of a superstar but it just hasn't really translated yet. He's coming along now and his "breakout" game so far was vs Clemson where he made some really spectacular hand catches like we see Alshon Jeffery doing in the league.

Mike Davis, this bruiser was a near lock for 1st team All-SEC RB but the run game struggled down the home stretch. He's a good blocker, a hard nosed runner and can hit you hard with some unexpected speed for a bigger back.
Brandon Wilds, he and Mike Davis dueled it out in Spring to figure out who the starter would be and imho he's only about half a step behind Davis, great back with good hands.
Shon Carson, honestly...he's underwhelmed me throughout his career, he tries too much shift and not enough north/south but he's got some very nice speed.

Connor McLaren, a FB who is underutilized as a weapon but he's a fantastic blocking FB and can make all the catches...I expect to see him used some in the bowl game.

Busta Anderson, this TE will make you pay 3-4 times per game. has the hands and speed of a #2 WR.

On Defense, everyone knows Clowney...but not too many knew of Kelcy Quarrels...who arguably surprised people. With Clowney getting double and triple teamed Kelcy is one on one and thats a mismatch against the big man. He leads the team in sacks this year and is 3rd in the SEC in sacks.
Our Lbs are young, very young but they have improved dramatically this year and are playing good, hard nosed footballs. I'm anxious/excited to see our LB corps vs the power run game.
Our secondary is still suspect, Vic Hampton and Jimmy Legree are our two best cover corners and they do get burned from time to time.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
zbadger
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Chris Borland is the guy that Ohio State fans are wondering why they didn't get him, but he always wanted to go to Wisconsin so they had very little chance. Also, Borland isn't really a 2/3 star guy who was coached up, he was always a beast at Wisconsin. He was merely a guy who was underrated because he was undersized. He was Big Ten Freshman of the year when he was a true freshman. As a true freshman he had 5 FF, 10.5 TFL, 5 sacks, returned 6 kickoffs, blocked a punt, and made 3 XPs and he only started 6 games. Yeah, the guy has been a beast for 4 years. As a freshman, the Badgers often lined him up at DE on passing downs. His big play stats (like sacks and TFLs) are down compared to what you might expect after that freshman year because he was moved to MLB so he doesn't rush the QB as much. He still is very much a terror to opponents as he always ends up by the ball carrier.
zbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
zbadger
Walk On

Male

zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

A good wisconsin board is http://buckyville.yuku.com/ and a good wisconsin blog is buckys5thquarter.com

The name bucky's 5th quarter comes from the Wisconsin Band who stays in the stadium and plays songs for 15 min at the end of every Badgers home game. Often thousands of students stay to sing and dance along.

Jump Around is dependent upon if the bowl site allows it. The Rose Bowl only played jump around against Oregon because they had a song that they wanted played as well (Shout). I don't know if the Capital One Bowl has a rule like that.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
zbadger
Walk On

Male

How is Connor Shaw as a pocket passer? From looking at his stats I see that he only completes 60% of his passes, but he has a good yards per attempt and he never throws picks. In the games 2 of the games the Badgers lost, the main reason was the play of the QBs (ASU and Penn State). ASU's QB killed us on back shoulder throws while Penn State's just killed us everywhere. I believe the Badgers can contain Shaw's running, but if he is a good passer than that might not matter.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbadger View Post
How is Connor Shaw as a pocket passer? From looking at his stats I see that he only completes 60% of his passes, but he has a good yards per attempt and he never throws picks. In the games 2 of the games the Badgers lost, the main reason was the play of the QBs (ASU and Penn State). ASU's QB killed us on back shoulder throws while Penn State's just killed us everywhere. I believe the Badgers can contain Shaw's running, but if he is a good passer than that might not matter.
When he and the receivers are on the same page, it is great. He can throw it anywhere, he is generally more cautious than risky with the ball which leads many to think he is over or under throwing. What he is intending to do is put the ball where his guy and no one else can get it.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
The name you should fear getting hot is Connor Shaw...not Conner, not connar, not Khanner...Connor.
He can make ALL the throws, he's faster than you think and isn't afraid to get an extra yard or two. The kid wins, he's 17-0 at home as as starter and 22-5 overall---Or something close to that.

Nick Jones is streaky and inconsistent but he usually gets 4-5 targets and 2-3 critical catches a game.
Bruuuuuuuuce Ellington, he is are stud WR. he can make impossible catches (see 4th & goal TD vs Mizzou to get into OT). he is shifty and a point guard so he is quick and agile with great hands.
Shaq Roland, this young man has the talent of a superstar but it just hasn't really translated yet. He's coming along now and his "breakout" game so far was vs Clemson where he made some really spectacular hand catches like we see Alshon Jeffery doing in the league.

Mike Davis, this bruiser was a near lock for 1st team All-SEC RB but the run game struggled down the home stretch. He's a good blocker, a hard nosed runner and can hit you hard with some unexpected speed for a bigger back.
Brandon Wilds, he and Mike Davis dueled it out in Spring to figure out who the starter would be and imho he's only about half a step behind Davis, great back with good hands.
Shon Carson, honestly...he's underwhelmed me throughout his career, he tries too much shift and not enough north/south but he's got some very nice speed.

Connor McLaren, a FB who is underutilized as a weapon but he's a fantastic blocking FB and can make all the catches...I expect to see him used some in the bowl game.

Busta Anderson, this TE will make you pay 3-4 times per game. has the hands and speed of a #2 WR.

On Defense, everyone knows Clowney...but not too many knew of Kelcy Quarrels...who arguably surprised people. With Clowney getting double and triple teamed Kelcy is one on one and thats a mismatch against the big man. He leads the team in sacks this year and is 3rd in the SEC in sacks.
Our Lbs are young, very young but they have improved dramatically this year and are playing good, hard nosed footballs. I'm anxious/excited to see our LB corps vs the power run game.
Our secondary is still suspect, Vic Hampton and Jimmy Legree are our two best cover corners and they do get burned from time to time.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #28
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
He had a terrible game against Tennessee (7-21), because of that game, his comp % is down a bit... Conner is kinda a one read guy... If his first read is not there, he usually scrambles... And uses his feet to gain yards... If Dillon Thompson gets in, you will see a prototypical Spurrier QB... Pocket passer that goes through his reads... He is much better than Shaw at this, but Connor's ability to run for first downs keeps him at starter...

As for y'all doing "Jump Around", I think most Carolina fans would love to see it, too... I love to see traditional stuff like that in person, like getting to see the Michigan band play "Hail to the Victors" in person last year...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
CockADoodalDoom
Die Hard Gamecock

Male

Best Video: Given for creating the best video - Given for: Winning the 1st video challenge 
CockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot materialCockADoodalDoom is USC mascot material

Welcome to the board to the OP. Looking forward to playing you guys in January.
CockADoodalDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

If you goto buckyville, don't say for god sakes that were a better team. It's almost as bad as Tigernet.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #31
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Zbadger welcome.
Here is what to look for. The HBC(Spurrier) is the best at seeing the weakness in other teams and just going after that weakness. We have the most underrated wideouts in college football. People confuse numbers for Superstars. For example Vandy has Jordon Mathews as a great receiver and he is, but Vandy has nobody else, therefore his numbers are high. We have 6 receivers that can make the game winning plays. In some games we had 8 receivers catch passes, therefore none of ours will have high numbers, but they are superstar talent. Roland, Byrd, Ellington, Jones, Whitehurst, all run 4.3 and 4.4 forty's which will create big problems for Wisconsin DB's. We have 3 Tightends at 6'6 that are like big wideouts. So our wideouts will spread the lenth of the field, the tightends will cross the middle, and Mike Davis/Brandon Wilds are great out the backfield pass receivers. I just don't see the speed on Wisconsin defense to stop them.
Our offense has not been stopped all year, we average 453 yards per game. The fact is we are I guess the most balance team in the country when it comes to spreading the ball around. That is why none of our players had Superstar numbers except for our placekicker Fry. On Defense, we are Big, we play 8 D-linemen in which by the Third quarter most Olines are not blocking but reaching, in which creates problems for the QB.
I expect our defense to play 4 down. Seems like we play teams each week that run the sweep as a misdirection. Clemson met our Freshmen Cooper, I think he will also have a good game. The team that Wisconsin played this year that are close to being as good as Gamecocks is Ohio State. I think this year we have to much talent all over the field. Gamecocks 42, Wisconsin 17.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #32
zbadger
Walk On

Male

Little confident there fridayserv. I respect USC's ability to spread the ball around but I think you are underselling Wisconsin on their talent and speed, especially on D.

I believe our secondary could struggle with your passing game, but we held a more talented OSU offense to 31 points and 32 points is the most we have allowed this year so I really doubt that USC puts up 42.

Also, I agree that there is nothing special about the sweep play, however, the players who run the sweep play at Wisconsin are indeed special. When you have two 1300+ combined with a good blocking oline and good blocking WR's the play ends up working out very well. Also, the play is not our playbook, its something we might run every other drive so shutting it down is not the same as shutting down our offense at all.

This guy is the key to the jet sweep. Watch Melvin Gordon on the sweep please and see that he has no shortage of speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJ3yMytR5Y

I have a lot of respect for South Carolina. I think they are deserving of a top 10 ranking and should be favored. But I don't expect a blowout at all.

Last edited by zbadger; 12-11-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #33
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

it is hilarious how you went that far out of the way to spell Connor Shaw's name and made sure others didn't misspell it. But our FB's name is Connor Mclaurin...

MCLAURIN lol
Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #34
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Little confident there fridayserv. I respect USC's ability to spread the ball around but I think you are underselling Wisconsin on their talent and speed, especially on D.

I believe our secondary could struggle with your passing game, but we held a more talented OSU offense to 31 points and 32 points is the most we have allowed this year so I really doubt that USC puts up 42.

Also, I agree that there is nothing special about the sweep play, however, the players who run the sweep play at Wisconsin are indeed special. When you have two 1300+ combined with a good blocking oline and good blocking WR's the play ends up working out very well. Also, the play is not our playbook, its something we might run every other drive so shutting it down is not the same as shutting down our offense at all.

This guy is the key to the jet sweep. Watch Melvin Gordon on the sweep please and see that he has no shortage of speed.

I have a lot of respect for South Carolina. I think they are deserving of a top 10 ranking and should be favored. But I don't expect a blowout at all.
I agree the game will be very close, but Ohio State sucks and everyone knows it lol
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #35
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 0
roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

Yeah no way this is a blowout by either team. A very tough and scrappy game.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #36
zbadger
Walk On

Male

Ohio State's defense was very overrated, but their offense is no joke. And no matter what, winning 24 games in a row is no joke. Everyone plays an off game on occasion (see us vs Penn St or USC vs Tennessee), so no matter the competition, going 24 in a row is special.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #37
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Ohio State's defense was very overrated, but their offense is no joke. And no matter what, winning 24 games in a row is no joke. Everyone plays an off game on occasion (see us vs Penn St or USC vs Tennessee), so no matter the competition, going 24 in a row is special.
Yeh but OSU plays no one worth a damn but you.. thats all I am saying. .they are like the Clemson of the Big 12
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #38
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Z badger, with all due respect, confidence is in the numbers and watching Wisconsin play Penn State, Ohio State and Arizona State replays. Here are the numbers behind the success of the running backs.
U-mass 1 and 11, Tenn-Tech 5 and 7, Purdue 1 and 11, Northwestern 5 and 7, Illinois 4 and 8, Iowa 8 and 4, BYU 8and 4, Indiana 5 and 7, Minnesota 8 and 4.

If Carolina played these teams Mike Davis, Brandon Wilds and Shon Carson would be over 1000 each.

Then look at Ohio State and Penn State, both backs in each game were held to under 120 combined rushing yards. In which supports the bad teams inflated numbers. Arizona State the combined 220 yards rushings are good numbers. But reflect how Wisconsin play against average Defenses.

Now being real, South Carolina will be the biggest, fastest, most physical defense Wisconsin will play this schedule. More importantly, we play 8 deep on the Dline with players that could start for any SEC team and including Wisconsin.

Here are some other numbers that give me confidence. We beat a Good Nebraska and Michigan in the previous bowls. We average 453 yards per game. Our Defense is 2nd behind Alabama in the SEC. Conner Shaw is 25 and 5 as a starter. We are 32 and 6 over the last 3 years. But for the 2 team rule in BCS games we would be in the BCS game. For the past three years we have beaten the SEC East Champion. We have beat 2 teams in BCS Bowls, We have beat 7 teams that are in bowls this year. We have beat 5 teams with 10 wins this year. This is the winningest team in South Carolina Football History.
We are the youngest team in D 1 football with 5 total seniors. Wisconsin gets this team after 12 games. Clemson beat Georgia the 1 week, Georgia beat us the 2nd week, We killed the #6 Clemson the 12 week. I like our numbers compared to Wisconsin.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #39
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2355
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

Quote:
No
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
zbadger
Walk On

Male

The Big ten rush defenses are better than the SEC's. South Carolina was 2nd in rush defense in the SEC despite allowing over 140 yards per game. The Big Ten has 5 teams better than that. Also, against OSU, Melvin Gordon did get hurt in the game and against PSU, we passed the ball 53 times! Gordon was averaging 7 yards per carry against them, we did not have a major problem with running the ball against PSU. We did have an issue on defense and thus we were playing from behind and so we passed the ball a lot.

I don't know what past years mean, especially if your D is so young. But I can assure you that Wisconsin this year is better than the Nebraska team and Michigan teams from 2 and 1 year ago. Last year Michigan was ranked 37th in points for and 64th in points against while Nebraska was 46th/54th. Wisconsin is 26th/6th. So this team is a lot better than those teams despite similar BCS rankings. Wisconsin is 2nd in defense in the big ten and averages 485 yards per game.

I have a lot of respect for USC, I think its a very good team and believe they should be favored, but I think you are really dismissing a very good program in Wisconsin and will be shocked at how well they match up.