CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
Captain9Dragons
Cockypantherfan
SEC Network "Ta (1586)
Sunday college footb (511)
Ole Miss Projected R (510)
Early Pre-Season wom (498)
So who was the dude (488)
Kentucky Inmate Star (462)
Acock reviews the SE (457)
Get the SEC Network (433)
Tennessee hires Donn (426)
2001 vs Sandstorm (324)
2015 - Nyheim Hines
2001 vs Sandstorm
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou
Does anyone have a link t
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It
Name a Gamecock

Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #61
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Early line - Wiscy -3

Just looked at it... It's currently a pick em. Lots of early $$ on us...
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #62
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
peterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudlypeterlemon is crowing loudly

Thespread.com has us as a 1 point favorite after starting out as 2.5 point underdogs.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #63
PhoenixGamecock
72ChemE

Male

PhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spursPhoenixGamecock has earned his spurs

Looks like some jumped on what appeared to a mistake for an opening spread. Bet it settles down at between -0.5-1.5 Gamecocks.
PhoenixGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #64
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Vegas Sucker bets if ive ever seen one. Their body of work is atrocious. Carolina -17
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #65
BigAppleBucky
Walk On

Male

BigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGamecock View Post
Looks like some jumped on what appeared to a mistake for an opening spread. Bet it settles down at between -0.5-1.5 Gamecocks.
I'd of guessed Carolina -7 or 8. But if you trust Sagarin, then UW -2 is in accord with the original Vegas line. He has Wisconsin at 88.41 and South Carolina at 86.30.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/

I think the bettors were smart taking the two points when they could. South Carolina (or any team with a decent passing game for that matter) is a tough match for Wisconsin this season.
BigAppleBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Last I saw the Vegas Line is Wis -1 to Pickem.

I like the underdog as Bulletin Board material.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #67
Latt4Gov
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
I'd of guessed Carolina -7 or 8. But if you trust Sagarin, then UW -2 is in accord with the original Vegas line. He has Wisconsin at 88.41 and South Carolina at 86.30.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/

I think the bettors were smart taking the two points when they could. South Carolina (or any team with a decent passing game for that matter) is a tough match for Wisconsin this season.
Hey man,

Thanks for being a cool poster. I posted this in a thread on buckyville and got crucified. At least some of y'all are rational and understand the bigger picture.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #68
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

I don't understand why our fans think our team overlooks games. I'm sure they take every team seriously. Why shouldn't the Gamecocks be as hyped about this game as Wisconsin?
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #69
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

This game is a bad match for us. Our young lbs will struggle to get off blocks. They are just too inexperienced. We need great dline play and blitz packages.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #70
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
This game is a bad match for us. Our young lbs will struggle to get off blocks. They are just too inexperienced. We need great dline play and blitz packages.
I think we'll be okay. Our LB are better than you think. We'll be able to stack the box and get some penetration.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #71
BlueHerons
Recruit

Female

BlueHerons has feathers coming inBlueHerons has feathers coming in

From my understanding, the line is made by the people betting. If more people are betting on SC to win, the line moves in their direction.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #72
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
They've had all season to get experience. If that can't get off of blocks at this point, it's for other reasons. Inexperience is a tired excuse.
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #73
zoobadger
Walk On

Male

zoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiwanCock View Post
Bookies probably remember our game against Shon Greene. Not sure why people are upset about the oddsmaking, though, since the only thing that counts is what happens on the field.
I don't bet, but my understanding is that Vegas has gone all high tech and uses computer models as a baseline; then they'll adjust by a few points based on subjective factors like the B1G being a weaker conference.

But, presumably somebody told the computer that our QB - Joel Stave - appears to be wearing a blindfold on six to ten plays per game? Not sure how the computer figures that into the equation, lol... Maybe that got overlooked?

Last edited by zoobadger; 12-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.
zoobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #74
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

I use www.betus.com, which by the way is an awesome site for online betting.

They just added our game today to the list and they have it as a pickem. Which for the non betters, that's even. Which is about where I would personally put the game. Which also says it should be one hell of a game. All the other bowl games at this time has a favorite one way or another.
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #75
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

who cares, it's a line. Lines are made for Vegas to make money if I remember correctly. We will be just fine
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #76
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I know it's all about money...but how does a 17-18th ranked team now get favored by one point to win?
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #77
uesbc
Walk On

Male

uesbc has hatched from the shell

When it was announced that WI would play TCU in the Rose Bowl, I was certain that WI would be favored. The spread was TCU -2 and TCU ended up winning by 2.

I understand that this has no bearing on this year or this game, but I thought I'd share.
uesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #78
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I know it's all about money...but how does a 17-18th ranked team now get favored by one point to win?
It's all about the benjamins baby

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #79
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Your Friend Bucky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
The standard polls don't really have any impact on where books set lines. Big books (i.e. Vegas) use computer models to try to objectively rank teams. They all have their own set of "rankings" that are used for setting lines. They do take other things into account like public perception.

Lines do move if they are getting "hammered" by incoming bets. However, books don't try to set up the line to get 50/50 bets on each side, which is a common misconception. They just shift the bet to cover their ends a little bit.

FWIW most books I've seen now have moved the line to around a pick'em (essentially zero point spread). This is not terribly shocking to me as most probably glance at the matchup and are surprised that a 10-2 SEC team ranked in the top 10 isn't favored against the 3rd or 4th best Big Ten team.

Good luck in the game!
Your Friend Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #80
BigAppleBucky
Walk On

Male

BigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar90 View Post
I use www.betus.com, which by the way is an awesome site for online betting.

They just added our game today to the list and they have it as a pickem. Which for the non betters, that's even. Which is about where I would personally put the game. Which also says it should be one hell of a game. All the other bowl games at this time has a favorite one way or another.
I see that site has the O/U at 51.

That seems too low to me. Maybe way too low.
BigAppleBucky is offline   Reply With Quote