CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Coulwoodwarlord
eaglegolf018
SAETerrier
gamecock88
uscgmck
GamecockInHell
HelleraisingCock
3MTA3
Latti
JerseyBird
Larenz Bryant update (1125)
Hillsborough (584)
Joeckel Transfering (577)
UK's Whitlow to tran (540)
2016 - Greg Little (518)
2015 - Chris Clark (505)
Bamberg High School (349)
USC Tartan Unvieled (341)
Its April 15th and i (316)
response from charte (248)
response from charter abo
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
14 Dining-Related Taboos
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Jameis Winston's Accuser

Old 12-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #101
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly
Default Re: 2014 might be a tough year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I just said I didn't want to hear any excuses. That argument makes no sense anyway. If it did then Clowney & Lattimore should have been rated 2 stars.
Lol so what you're saying is "I want to express my opinion but i don't want to hear yours"

The state hasn't produced talent like it did back then you do notice most of our 5* are from South Carolina right? Also you would have to be an idiot to miss Clowney and Lattimore's ratings but there are thousands of kids who dont get the same exposure so they aren't picked up by recruiting sites or studied as much.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #102
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Might be or will be?
Since I'm probably as good as anyone else on here at prognosticating, I'm going to say it will be a great season. Then I get to be happy for the next eight months, and the season will go however it goes.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #103
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
No matter how you spin it, our recruiting has been horrible. I'm tired of people making excuses as to why we aren't getting major players. Don't give me the BS "3 star recruit is just as good as the 5 star recruit" treatment either.
Yeah, well, I disagree. You are the one who believes in BS if that is what you think.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #104
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
The recruiting isn't "awful" but it's mediocre by SEC standards and is not mirroring our success on the field. Sustained success is not possible in the SEC without BOTH top-notch recruiting AND top-notch coaching.

Quite frankly, with the success USC has been having on the field, we should have been able to parlay that into significantly better recruiting than we've seen.
We are recruiting at a high level in my opinion, people just don't realize it because they don't see enough "stars" for their liking. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, but not THAT much, and I think we CAN compete for championships recruiting at this level. I agree that better recruiting leads to better success on the field, but better star ratings do NOT equal better recruiting. We recruit football players, not stars. A star is not going to go out there in pads and play for these guys.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #105
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Yeah, well, I disagree. You are the one who believes in BS if that is what you think.

Ok well take Bamas roster and apply them at Vanderbilt and see what happens.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #106
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Nobody knows how 2014 will turn out. I don't understand the worry already.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #107
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

The goal is to get guys with a high ceiling. If you have to develop some then so be it. That's why you have 85 scholarships and 100 guys on the roster. So you can afford to bring a few players along each year.
GarnetSwarm1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #108
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

Quote:
Ok well take Bamas roster and apply them at Vanderbilt and see what happens.
First off. 75% of players on Bama's roster couldn't even get in to Vandy. But I see what you mean. Recruiting is not a fair game. Its never a fair fight. Truth is we lack a lot of things that schools like Bama, Georgia and Florida have. It hurts us. The only way to fix that is to support our school so they can get money to get those things.

We are building a winning tradition here under Spurrier. UGA, Bama and Florida have those traditions that we are in the process of building.

We are putting guys in the league. We have a family atmosphere here with this team. Kids like that but we still have a ways to go.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #109
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

exactly, evaluate your classes on who gets into school and how they and ultimately the team performs over the course of their career.
as for the flawed february ratings we have 3.47 avg per commit on rivals right now for the 2014 class, we havent had a higher rating under spurrier. we have to hope we evaluate as good as anyone and hope we end up with difference makers, difference makers once they get on campus.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #110
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default 2014 might be a tough year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Lol so what you're saying is "I want to express my opinion but i don't want to hear yours"

The state hasn't produced talent like it did back then you do notice most of our 5* are from South Carolina right? Also you would have to be an idiot to miss Clowney and Lattimore's ratings but there are thousands of kids who dont get the same exposure so they aren't picked up by recruiting sites or studied as much.

1. No, I'm just saying that myself and others are tired of that excuse that gets thrown around every time we have bad recruiting. Yes we can develop a 3 star into a 5 star but why do that when you can take a 5 star and turn him into 7

2. It's not about just getting 5 stars recruits from SC. It's about getting 5 star recruits from outside the state as well. You see FLA, TX A&M, Alabama, Georgia & Aurbun getting 5 star kids from all over the country. Why don't we? That's the questions we need to be asking instead of making excuses.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #111
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

Quote:
1. No, I'm just saying that myself and others are tired of that excuse that gets thrown around every time we have bad recruiting.

2. It's not about just getting 5 stars recruits from SC. It's about getting 5 star recruits from outside the state as well. You see FLA, TX A&M, Alabama, Georgia & Aurbun getting 5 star kids from all over the country. Why don't we? That's the questions we need to be asking instead of making excuses.
Look at those programs you mentioned. Look at the history of them. Each have a national title. We just aren't on their level in certain aspects.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we do need to hire someone who is a master recruiter. But who are you going to go out and get?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #112
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
1. No, I'm just saying that myself and others are tired of that excuse that gets thrown around every time we have bad recruiting. Yes we can develop a 3 star into a 5 star but why do that when you can take a 5 star and turn him into 7

We dont get 5 stars from out of state because we dont have the history of those schools. Also as C2 has said in the recruiting threads over and over its going to be hard to ever get to that level.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #113
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
We dont get 5 stars from out of state because we dont have the history of those schools. Also as C2 has said in the recruiting threads over and over its going to be hard to ever get to that level.

Well, build one of these. As long as you accept less, you will always have less.

http://www.theafterzero.com/oregon-f...lities-photos/
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #114
chi3fcocksman
Fanatic

Male

CockyCash: 100302
chi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudly

We might go undefeated ..
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #115
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3fcocksman View Post
We might go undefeated ..

I don't care what anyone says, this is my stance until USC loses a game. If they lose one then I think we can go 11-1. It's a lot simpler to look at it that way, to me at least.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #116
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
The goal is to get guys with a high ceiling. If you have to develop some then so be it. That's why you have 85 scholarships and 100 guys on the roster. So you can afford to bring a few players along each year.
that's what we do and still do. Connor Shaw, Mike Davis, Pharaoh Cooper, Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, Skai Moore, Dylan Thompson, etc. Maybe not THE best coming out of the box, but the ceiling (aka frame and mindset) is there to get to the next level of play
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #117
FearThethumbandDJ
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Maybe were better off playing better teams since we lay an egg more when we play bad teams.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #118
No Curse
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
Our offense will rack up yards. Will that translate into points? Idk. We will turn tge ball over way more with a gunslinger at QB.

The good thing is UGA loses murray. Clemson loses boyd. Most likly watkins. And chad morris. Flordia sucks. I kno there are more i just cant think of.

Bottom line is we will rack up yards. Im willing to say next years offense will be the best under spurrier. We'll see. It will be a totally different offense then weve had the past three years.
I kinda hate to see Boyd go. He hasn't exactly hurt us
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #119
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

For the folks still whining about our recruiting, can you give me an actual solution? Who should we fire and then hire to achieve this mystical top recruiting that you want? Should we spend into oblivion and get the university into major debt?

I'm being serious, what is your solution? We just won 10 games 3 years in a row, and our current class will end up being excellent. People do this around this time every freakin year. Last year it was because Rolin decommitted. This year it's because we don't have many corners or a top-notch DE, YET. We will end up with both of those things before the class finishes, just like how we got Skai and Walton last year.

But back to my point, what are your ideas for bringing in 4 and 5-star players from around the nation like Bama and Florida?
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #120
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Default 2014 might be a tough year

People talk about the indoor practice field as being the most needed for recruiting but we need a state of the art football facility. Somebody who is a booster somewhere has the money to do it. I urge that individual to come forward and let's get it done. If I had it to give, I most certainly would.

Last edited by Carolina4Life; 12-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Carolina4Life is offline   Reply With Quote