CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
ccured
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
NJGCfan
robgusc76
sporkgod50
Spurrier_Superior_On
JAYBEZ
rdwylie
Mangus now coaching (1430)
Can Tennessee get to (1032)
2 Crazy things (626)
Chick Redefines the (598)
Spread vs. aTm (551)
ESPN Article on HBC (550)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (525)
Lindy's top 100 for (490)
The Bama series (398)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (317)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2015 - Kaleb Kim
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Bama starting pitcher sus
The Bama series
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Spread vs. aTm
Clowney's NFL Draft Promo
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Old 12-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Getting to Know Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbadger View Post
The Big ten rush defenses are better than the SEC's. South Carolina was 2nd in rush defense in the SEC despite allowing over 140 yards per game. The Big Ten has 5 teams better than that. Also, against OSU, Melvin Gordon did get hurt in the game and against PSU, we passed the ball 53 times! Gordon was averaging 7 yards per carry against them, we did not have a major problem with running the ball against PSU. We did have an issue on defense and thus we were playing from behind and so we passed the ball a lot.

I don't know what past years mean, especially if your D is so young. But I can assure you that Wisconsin this year is better than the Nebraska team and Michigan teams from 2 and 1 year ago. Last year Michigan was ranked 37th in points for and 64th in points against while Nebraska was 46th/54th. Wisconsin is 26th/6th. So this team is a lot better than those teams despite similar BCS rankings. Wisconsin is 2nd in defense in the big ten and averages 485 yards per game.

I have a lot of respect for USC, I think its a very good team and believe they should be favored, but I think you are really dismissing a very good program in Wisconsin and will be shocked at how well they match up.
IDK... this year, I think Michigan State, Wisconsin... and maybe Minnesota has had good defenses in the Big 10 (+2 teams)... but teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska are not good... and teams like Purdue, Illinois, Indiana are just downright awful on D...
Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #42
zbadger
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
No

The badgers faced Tre Robinson (Indiana), Nathan Scheelhaase (Illinois), Kain Colter (NW), Taysom Hill (BYU), Braxton Miller (OSU), and Taylor Kelly (ASU) and Phillip Nelson (Minnesota). Those guys are all duel threat QBs. Only Braxton Miller with 22 rushes and 83 yards had any success and he possibly the most athletic QB in college football. So I do feel good about Wisconsin's chances in containing Shaw's running. His passing on the other hand...that's a big question mark.

Last edited by zbadger; 12-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
zbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
zbadger
Walk On

Male

zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
IDK... this year, I think Michigan State, Wisconsin... and maybe Minnesota has had good defenses in the Big 10 (+2 teams)... but teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska are not good... and teams like Purdue, Illinois, Indiana are just downright awful on D...
Well I was talking strictly rush defenses. OSU, Penn State, and Michigan all had solid to good rush defenses. In OSU's case, their rush defense was very good. Among overall defense, I agree with your assessment about only 3 good defenses.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
ramcock
Recruit

Male

ramcock has hatched from the shell

Thanks for the post, we look forward to playing you guys next month.

Something i find funny is that maybe our most dynamic player on offense is someone who NO ONE has mentioned. Pharoh Cooper. Great player, reminds me of a Randall Cobb type playmaker. Look for him in the wildcat most often.
ramcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #45
zbadger
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcock View Post
Thanks for the post, we look forward to playing you guys next month.

Something i find funny is that maybe our most dynamic player on offense is someone who NO ONE has mentioned. Pharoh Cooper. Great player, reminds me of a Randall Cobb type playmaker. Look for him in the wildcat most often.
Nice, definitely would never have known about him if you didn't mention him. I'll keep an out for him.

Wisconsin's version of unknown that is under utilized is Corey Clement, a true freshman RB. He probably won't play as he usually only plays when badgers are up by a lot but if he does he's the only true power back on the Badgers team. He has 515 rushing yards on 66 carries and those carries have only come in the 4th quarter when the Badgers have run the ball every play. In other words, he has averaged 7.8 ypc despite everyone in the building knowing that he is going to get the ball and run up the middle. Wisconsin fans wish they would use him on 3rd and short or goaline plays because he has the most power of all the backs.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #46
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
The badgers faced Tre Robinson (Indiana), Nathan Scheelhaase (Illinois), Kain Colter (NW), Taysom Hill (BYU), Braxton Miller (OSU), and Taylor Kelly (ASU) and Phillip Nelson (Minnesota). Those guys are all duel threat QBs. Only Braxton Miller with 22 rushes and 83 yards had any success and he possibly the most athletic QB in college football. So I do feel good about Wisconsin's chances in containing Shaw's running. His passing on the other hand...that's a big question mark.
Who are those people? President's of the schools you listed? And I guarantee you Connor is as tough as they come so he should be crowned the top "duel" threat.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
zbadger
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Who are those people? President's of the schools you listed? And I guarantee you Connor is as tough as they come so he should be crowned the top "duel" threat.
Baxton and Taylor Kelly are pretty well known and Taysom Hill is well known out west. Nathan Scheelhaase has only put up 10,000 yards for his career, he may play for a crappy team, but he is a legit offensive threat.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Baxton and Taylor Kelly are pretty well known and Taysom Hill is well known out west. Nathan Scheelhaase has only put up 10,000 yards for his career, he may play for a crappy team, but he is a legit offensive threat.
Sorry, my reply was a little sarcastic. After checking out buckyville and seeing how y'all roll I thought you would have understood. :p
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #49
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Zbadger I think you over look my point. If we played the same teams Wisconsin played our numbers would be better. If Wisconsin played in the SEC their numbers would be worst. If you look at the teams Wisconsin beat, other teams beat them just as bad. So this year numbers on Wisconsin I give respect, but compared to the Gamecocks it is not close. The other thing is you can't compare the Gamecocks to any team on your schedule, for example to think because you rushed 149 yards against a 1 and 11 team, that equates to doing the same against the gamecocks is not real. Now we can say that we average 450 yards against Georgia, Clemson, Mizzou, UCf, North Carolina, etc, we can assume we will against a 9 and 3 Wisconsin that played 8 unranked teams.
As I stated in College football any team can win, but the numbers are in our favor. Besides, to be a 1 point favorite is simply to keep viewer interest coming off a lost to Penn State. I mean with no Disrespect, how can you be a one point favorite in college football.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #50
Bigdsrip
Walk On

Male

Bigdsrip has hatched from the shell

Well if you really think UW is on the same level as UNC, Vandy etc. you are going to have a VERY long Jan. 1st. UW is closer to Aub, USC and Mizzou. Look at the stats. UW is top 25 in nearly every important offensive and defensive measure. Watch some film. This UW team has NFL players at RB, RB, RB, FB, TE, WR, C, G, G, T, T, and maybe QB (unlikely but he has the raw tools to make it if he develops) on offense alone. There are NFL guys all over the defense as well including the B1G D player of the year. USC has a bunch of talent too.

Just invoking 'SEC' doesn't scare UW at all. In the last decade UW has gone:

17-21 vs UT in 2008. UW threw an INT in the UT end zone with around 30 seconds left to end it.

17-14 over Arky in 2007. UW player ran McFadden down from behind to open the game.

24-10 over Aub in 2006. Auburn was considered one of the top 5 teams in the country at that point in the season. UW ran circles around them and kneeled at the Aub 1 to end the game.

21-24 to UGA in 2005.

14-28 to Au in 2003. Game was tied with 3 minutes left. Aub got a fumble at the UW 1 in the last minute seconds to make it 2 TDs.

Every year we play a team that has 'more speed than we have seen all year'. Every year it is a close game and UW has just about as many explosive plays as the other team. We heard it from all of those teams I listed as well as from Miami (20-14 UW), we heard it from Oregon (38-45 UO), we heard it from TCU (19-21 TCU in one of the biggest choke jobs in UW history), we heard it from UCLA in the 90's when we beat them twice in Rose Bowls. You get the picture. UW has guys all over the NFL including the best offensive (Joe Thomas) and defensive (JJ Watt) linemen in the league. DeAndre Levy leads the NFL in INTs. Everyone knows Russell Wilson. We know real talent when we see it, and we see it all over this team.

This is going to be a hard fought, close game. Don't forget that this UW senior class has won 3 conference championships and this is the first non-BCS bowl any player on UW has ever played in. We have played top 5 teams toe-to-toe to close out the last 3 years. We are no joke even if most of our conference is. That Nebraska team you beat a few years ago lost to UW 48-17 that year. The last time we played Mich we ran the ball literally every play of the 2nd half at their place and beat them 48-28. Our boys are going to try to will their team to a win in their last game just as hard as USC's guys.
Bigdsrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdsrip View Post
Well if you really think UW is on the same level as UNC, Vandy etc. you are going to have a VERY long Jan. 1st. UW is closer to Aub, USC and Mizzou. Look at the stats. UW is top 25 in nearly every important offensive and defensive measure. Watch some film. This UW team has NFL players at RB, RB, RB, FB, TE, WR, C, G, G, T, T, and maybe QB (unlikely but he has the raw tools to make it if he develops) on offense alone. There are NFL guys all over the defense as well including the B1G D player of the year. USC has a bunch of talent too.

17-21 vs UT in 2008. UW threw an INT in the UT end zone with around 30 seconds left to end it.

17-14 over Arky in 2007. UW player ran McFadden down from behind to open the game.

24-10 over Aub in 2006. Auburn was considered one of the top 5 teams in the country at that point in the season. UW ran circles around them and kneeled at the Aub 1 to end the game.

21-24 to UGA in 2005.

14-28 to Au in 2003. Game was tied with 3 minutes left. Aub got a fumble at the UW 1 in the last minute seconds to make it 2 TDs.

Every year we play a team that has 'more speed than we have seen all year'. Every year it is a close game and UW has just about as many explosive plays as the other team. We heard it from all of those teams I listed as well as from Miami (20-14 UW), we heard it from Oregon (38-45 UO), we heard it from TCU (19-21 TCU in one of the biggest choke jobs in UW history), we heard it from UCLA in the 90's when we beat them twice in Rose Bowls. You get the picture. UW has guys all over the NFL including the best offensive (Joe Thomas) and defensive (JJ Watt) linemen in the league. DeAndre Levy leads the NFL in INTs. Everyone knows Russell Wilson. We know real talent when we see it, and we see it all over this team.

This is going to be a hard fought, close game. Don't forget that this UW senior class has won 3 conference championships and this is the first non-BCS bowl any player on UW has ever played in. We have played top 5 teams toe-to-toe to close out the last 3 years. We are no joke even if most of our conference is. That Nebraska team you beat a few years ago lost to UW 48-17 that year. The last time we played Mich we ran the ball literally every play of the 2nd half at their place and beat them 48-28. Our boys are going to try to will their team to a win in their last game just as hard as USC's guys.
Yet your head coach left to coach the second worst team in the SEC.

In all seriousness, it should be a great game. No need to go all Dabo on us and recite UW's football history. I think most Gamecock fans know it's going to be a struggle.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #52
FearThethumbandDJ
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Another year, another big 10 team we get to beat.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #53
FearThethumbandDJ
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdsrip View Post

21-24 to UGA in 2005.

Oh shutup, youve lost against every single good team youve played this year (and some bad ones), youre best win is Minnesota. No one respects the Big 10, they are garbage.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Here is what Your Coach Stated to the press
By Benjamin Worgull
Publisher
Date: Dec 11, 2013

With the passing offense not up to par over the last third of the season, Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen was blunt in saying that the Badgers will struggle against No.8 South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl if the Badgers can't regain their Passing.
Sounds to me like he thinks we can stop the run game like Penn State.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #55
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

First I did not compare Wisconsin to those teams. They were reference for Strength of Schedule. Granted you have a great History, but History will not be on the field Jan. 1. Second, your defense is small compared to the defenses we played this year. Third each week we do a position vs position comparison. Zbadger you wrote a good comment. I would like to see yours and I will give mine. For example
QB advantage Connor Shaw
DE advantage J Clowney Sutton
DT advantage Quarles, Surratt
RB Tied
OL Advantage Gamecocks Average 6'5 325 lbs. 10 wins 2 loses
Wide Outs-Advantage Gamecocks--Roland Ellington Jones Byrd
Tightends--Advantage Gamecocks 6'6 Adams, Anderson
DB's Advantage Gamecocks--Hampton, Legree
S--Tied
Strength of schedule --Advantage Gamecocks
Special Teams--Advantage Gamecocks
Dept of Players Advantage Gamecocks
Coach--Advantage Gamecocks

Last edited by fridayserv; 12-11-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #56
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Yet your head coach left to coach the second worst team in the SEC.

In all seriousness, it should be a great game. No need to go all Dabo on us and recite UW's football history. I think most Gamecock fans know it's going to be a struggle.
This. You Wisc fans telling us who they have beat and how they rank high in a lot of categories causes us to not bat an eye.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #57
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Shon Carson, honestly...he's underwhelmed me throughout his career, he tries too much shift and not enough north/south but he's got some very nice speed.
Anyone who cannot spell Quarles name is unqualified to denegrate the work of Carson.

He had a fumble on a KO return early in the year, and some fans never forgave him nor gave him a chance after that. But . . . but, he came in and played extremely well--running north south with speed and recklessness--when Davis and Wilds were hurt. Carson, who played CF for the Gamecock baseball team, has heart and overcame a terrible knee injury to perform well this year.

Carson is loved by the coaches and teammates. It is only a few of the fans that hate on Shon.

Quote:
The Big ten rush defenses are better than the SEC's. South Carolina was 2nd in rush defense in the SEC despite allowing over 140 yards per game. The Big Ten has 5 teams better than that. Also, against OSU, Melvin Gordon did get hurt in the game and against PSU, we passed the ball 53 times! Gordon was averaging 7 yards per carry against them, we did not have a major problem with running the ball against PSU. We did have an issue on defense and thus we were playing from behind and so we passed the ball a lot.

I don't know what past years mean, especially if your D is so young. But I can assure you that Wisconsin this year is better than the Nebraska team and Michigan teams from 2 and 1 year ago. Last year Michigan was ranked 37th in points for and 64th in points against while Nebraska was 46th/54th. Wisconsin is 26th/6th. So this team is a lot better than those teams despite similar BCS rankings. Wisconsin is 2nd in defense in the big ten and averages 485 yards per game.

I have a lot of respect for USC, I think its a very good team and believe they should be favored, but I think you are really dismissing a very good program in Wisconsin and will be shocked at how well they match up.
This is some scary stuff because we definitely had our hands full against both of those teams. We pulled away from Nebraska late, but the Michigan game last year was a total dogfight. Our fans said the same SEC crap to the fans of Nebraska and Michigan. On balance, the Michigan fans were more humble, but Hoke had that team ready and they had a lot of fight and talent.

Assuming you are right about this year's Wisconsin team being substantially better than both those two, we might be in for a long New Years Day.

OTH, I think you are underestimating Shaw's speed and running ability. Think of him as nearly as fast and with nearly the same accelleration ability to your super stud RB and you will get where I'm coming from. I'm curious. Does the Wisconsin secondary play much man to man? If you play zone, then you have less to worry about from a running QB.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 12-11-2013 at 07:50 PM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #58
zbadger
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
First I did not compare Wisconsin to those teams. They were reference for Strength of Schedule. Granted you have a great History, but History will not be on the field Jan. 1. Second, your defense is small compared to the defenses we played this year. Third each week we do a position vs position comparison. Zbadger you wrote a good comment. I would like to see yours and I will give mine. For example
QB advantage Connor Shaw
DE advantage J Clowney Sutton
DT advantage Quarles, Surratt
RB Tied
OL Advantage Gamecocks Average 6'5 325 lbs. 10 wins 2 loses
Wide Outs-Advantage Gamecocks--Roland Ellington Jones Byrd
Tightends--Advantage Gamecocks 6'6 Adams, Anderson
DB's Advantage Gamecocks--Hampton, Legree
S--Tied
Strength of schedule --Advantage Gamecocks
Special Teams--Advantage Gamecocks
Dept of Players Advantage Gamecocks
Coach--Advantage Gamecocks
QB: Advantage Shaw
RB: Advantage Wisconsin (Mike Davis is good but his numbers are equal to James White, you have no one with the talent of Melvin Gordon)
OL: Advantage Wisconsin (Do you really think USC's Oline is better than the oline that churns out NFL guys like Wisconsin churns out cheese)
WR: Slight edge USC (I struggled witht his one, our #1 is better than any WR you have, but your depth is wayyyy better).
TE: Push (Jacob Pederson is as good as receiver as any TE USC has, and the rest of our TEs are studs in run blocking)
FB: huge edgeeee Wisconsin (I threw this one in as a joke, do you even use a FB)

Defense is tough because its 3-4 vs 4-3 but I'll try
DE: advantage USC (and a big one at that, Our DE's are good at run stopping, but nothing special in pass rush)
DT: push (seeing how its a 3-4, we only use 1 DT, but I assure you that Beau Allen is a stud, not well known, but he is the guy who allows Wisconsin's LBacker to do what they do. Also the backup Herring is a rather good pass rusher which is not easy out of NT position).
LB: advantage Wisconsin (Borland and a bunch of seniors who are all very good and very active at the line)
CB: no clue, but i'm guessing USC (first year starting for our CB's, I believe yours are veterns?)
S: Push (Southward is the weak link of our secondary while Mcevoy is a raw player, Caputo is a stud though)

SOS: USC (This would be closer had we actually won against OSU and ASU as our quality of wins would be similar, but we did't so advantage you)
Special Teams: Push (from what i've heard, you guys don't sound thrilled about you ST and we are the same, we are solid in coverage though)
Depth of Players: offense advantage to USC, defense to Wisconsin (Wisconsin will sometimes play 20 players a game on defense, they are 2-3 deep at both dline and lbacker and rotate frequently, I'm actually worried for us next year because we lose a lot of key players in our front 7)
Coach: Advantage USC (Spurrier is very proven, Gary is a guy on the up, got to go with the proven commodity)

So we differ a bit on some of the positions. It's hard to judge another team though just from looking at stats/highlights without common opponents. Obviously we both know our own teams a lot better.

I really do believe our RBs are better though. USC has 2400+ yards rushing this year, which is good, but that includes 500 yards from your QB. Wisconsin has 2000 yards rushing...if you remove the numbers from our starting RB James White.

Also about our defense being small, is that actually true? I'm asking, i really don't know. I've never heard Wisconsin's defense to be small. Wisconsin plays a 3-4 so they do require different weights for positions than a 4-3. For instance, one of our OLB Kelly had to lose weight because he swithced from DE. I've heard people say Wisconsin is slow though that's usually based on Big Ten Rep, but I've never heard small.

Last edited by zbadger; 12-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #59
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
QB: Advantage Shaw
RB: Advantage Wisconsin (Mike Davis is good but his numbers are equal to James White, you have no one with the talent of Melvin Gordon)
OL: Advantage Wisconsin (Do you really think USC's Oline is better than the oline that churns out NFL guys like Wisconsin churns out cheese)
WR: Slight edge USC (I struggled witht his one, our #1 is better than any WR you have, but your depth is wayyyy better).
TE: Push (Jacob Pederson is as good as receiver as any TE USC has, and the rest of our TEs are studs in run blocking)
FB: huge edgeeee Wisconsin (I threw this one in as a joke, do you even use a FB)

Defense is tough because its 3-4 vs 4-3 but I'll try
DE: advantage USC (and a big one at that, Our DE's are good at run stopping, but nothing special in pass rush)
DT: push (seeing how its a 3-4, we only use 1 DT, but I assure you that Beau Allen is a stud, not well known, but he is the guy who allows Wisconsin's LBacker to do what they do. Also the backup Herring is a rather good pass rusher which is not easy out of NT position).
LB: advantage Wisconsin (Borland and a bunch of seniors who are all very good and very active at the line)
CB: no clue, but i'm guessing USC (first year starting for our CB's, I believe yours are veterns?)
S: Push (Southward is the weak link of our secondary while Mcevoy is a raw player, Caputo is a stud though)

SOS: USC (This would be closer had we actually won against OSU and ASU as our quality of wins would be similar, but we did't so advantage you)
Special Teams: Push (from what i've heard, you guys don't sound thrilled about you ST and we are the same, we are solid in coverage though)
Depth of Players: offense advantage to USC, defense to Wisconsin (Wisconsin will sometimes play 20 players a game on defense, they are 2-3 deep at both dline and lbacker and rotate frequently, I'm actually worried for us next year because we lose a lot of key players in our front 7)
Coach: Advantage USC (Spurrier is very proven, Gary is a guy on the up, got to go with the proven commodity)

So we differ a bit on some of the positions. It's hard to judge another team though just from looking at stats/highlights without common opponents. Obviously we both know our own teams a lot better.

I really do believe our RBs are better though. USC has 2400+ yards rushing this year, which is good, but that includes 500 yards from your QB. Wisconsin has 2000 yards rushing...if you remove the numbers from our starting RB James White.

Also about our defense being small, is that actually true? I'm asking, i really don't know. I've never heard Wisconsin's defense to be small. Wisconsin plays a 3-4 so they do require different weights for positions than a 4-3. For instance, one of our OLB Kelly had to lose weight because he swithced from DE. I've heard people say Wisconsin is slow though that's usually based on Big Ten Rep, but I've never heard small.

Sigh. Good thing games aren't won on paper I suppose, but you are wrong in some categories...

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #60
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

Zbadger Your Good! Only thing again I think you will agree its way harder in the SEC than this years Big 10 to get 1000 yards. Also Watch Brandon Wilds at 6'2 225, 4.4 forty. He was hurt most of this year but came back against Clemson. The duo of Davis and Wilds great pass catchers out of the backfield. Great at pass blocking and Brandon is just as good as Mike Davis. Together as all around backs they are as good or better than Wisconsin. So from your comments I see Gamecocks have the advantage in more areas. therefore, advantage Gamecocks. Happy Holidays Travel Safe to Florida. As for the Oline going up against Florida, Clemson, UCF, Vandy, Missou, and still averaging 450 yards per game, yes we are better.