CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Roosterdog
F4rpoole
Lalli25
CockTail
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
B-G
JaxcockFL
gotrice?
Cocklover
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1325)
Byron the bunny...fe (559)
The #AskEmmert Q& (462)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Shameless self promo (320)
One thing I was glad (181)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (173)
Peach Bowl name retu (169)
Construction of Worl (108)
Save Electricity By (102)
What is your perfect egg?
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Amazon Fire TV
Where will we be preseaso
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
2014 Gamecock Football Po

Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: how is coach botkin as a recruiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
What? Spur is manned by all-sec Golightly...
Thought he was a senior. My bad. Mis-read the hotsheet.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I know this year he is bringing in Taylor Stallworth, and he is recruiting LB Roquan Smith for 2015.
Last year he brought in John Walton, who I think will be good.

Give him time to make some connections.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

I think it's rare for a coach to come in and succeed right off the bat. Botkin has done a great job with the LB core. Recruiting wise, I think you should give him another 3 years. If his recruits aren't playing well on the field, then you have your answer. One year is hardly enough, same goes for Adams. And I would like to keep some coaches for once. Been cherry picked the past 2 years.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

LB recruiting has definitely gotten better in the last couple years. As to Botkin coaching, I think he's done a heck of a job with the young guys he's had to work with. They have all gotten better and I believe they will be a strength for us in the coming years.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I know this year he is bringing in Taylor Stallworth, and he is recruiting LB Roquan Smith for 2015.

He recruited our 2015 commit, Sherrod Pittman, and he also recruited Tommy Sanders, who USC would have gotten, if not for strange circumstances where A&M visited his home while he was on an OV to USC. If anyone remembers differently, correct me.

Last edited by carolinacoast; 12-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think Botkin has done very well with recruiting and coaching for many of the reasons mentioned above. He didn't have a background in SC, GA or FLA so it will take him a little more time to get to know the hs coaches and get his name out. Deke was hired because he already had the NC/VA connections....both coaches are doing very well and we are fortunate to have them both.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

Botkin has gotten good reviews from the folks I know who deal with recruiting. We recruit more by territory than position and his territory is tough. That said, he got the folks mentioned above and has a couple more on the line for 2015 and 2016. Walton is someone the coaches love. Stallworth may end up being a 4 star before this is over with. He has all the big programs after him now. I think the jury is still out on Botkin as a coach but his group did show improvement and Golightly somehow made all-SEC this year. Go figure.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Botkin has gotten good reviews from the folks I know who deal with recruiting. We recruit more by territory than position and his territory is tough. That said, he got the folks mentioned above and has a couple more on the line for 2015 and 2016. Walton is someone the coaches love. Stallworth may end up being a 4 star before this is over with. He has all the big programs after him now. I think the jury is still out on Botkin as a coach but his group did show improvement and Golightly somehow made all-SEC this year. Go figure.

Getting old & can't see like I used to, henmania. As I read between the lines of your post, should I emphasize the 'damn' or the 'faint praise'? LOL.

Think I'll go with the first one as in: Damn, people, give the man a chance. He's only been here a year.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Botkin got us Small Fry. /case
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
I thought Robinson was the one who knew about Fry through colleagues in special teams.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #31
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I thought Botkin did a pretty solid job this year with the LB's. From where they were at the beginning of the season to where they are now is quite an improvement.

As far as recruiting, even though Ward is BAW's primary recruiter, BAW has said some great things about Botkin and said he's looking forward to his coaching.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #32
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
That earns him MAJOR POINTS!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I don't know about Botkin's ability to recruit specifically, but I do know character when I read about it. He stepped down from college level coaching to the high school level because someone in his family needed him at home. That tells me that he has his priorities in the right place, and that he understands life is about relationships not about football. A man like that is going to naturally be an awesome recruiter. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

PS: it also says a lot about Whammy because he recognized character and went after it when he knew he was going to catch flack from the online "realists".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Great observation!

Ditto and thank God, Whammy doesn't listen to the people that post here.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #34
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I thought Robinson was the one who knew about Fry through colleagues in special teams.
You are correct, it was Robinson.

Last edited by carolinacoast; 12-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #35
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Getting old & can't see like I used to, henmania. As I read between the lines of your post, should I emphasize the 'damn' or the 'faint praise'? LOL.

Think I'll go with the first one as in: Damn, people, give the man a chance. He's only been here a year.
I meant I like him from what I have seen. I didn't mean for it to br faint praise.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #36
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
EJ rarely blitzed. Anyone who watched films of our defense would think "I want to go to a school that takes chances and has an aggressive, in-your-face defense. South Carolina plays it conservative. No thanks, I'll pass."

Our linebacking has a long way to go.

Yes, they made significant progress, but we are not good at all at stuffing the run, and it's NOT because our guys are "small".

It doesn't matter how big you are if you AREN'T EVEN THERE!

Our guys need to understand that it is their job to clog the running lanes and not just the job of the tackles. I think they were scared to death of being caught with their pants down on pass plays and therefore stayed out of the lanes, but they've got a year under their belts and they need to play with confidence, ala Skai Moore. That kid is the real deal.

I'm hoping that Bryant shows out next season. He was supposed to be the real deal, too.

Also, our guys need major work on the fundamentals of tackling. Break down, square the shoulders, wrap up. Don't cross your feet in the open field, etc. They teach this stuff in high school. Botkin needs to address this immediately. No excuses.

The Spur? We don't seem to have a solution for that position right now.

Still, I like faster, slimmer linebackers more than most do. If they are smart and play their assignments well, properly executed tackles will take down even the best runners.

I think this crew can get the job done next year, except for the spur position. Just don't know who is going to step up there.
You wrote all that and then said we don't have a solution for Spur, fail, makes me think you know nothing about football and did not watch a game this year if you do not think Golightly is a solution for Spur. Edit, I see you thought he was a Sr, apologies.
qcgamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
No question his territory is tough.
Bama and Auburn get the pick of the litter, but if Botkin can find one or two gems a year he will be doing fine.

I'm a little higher on his coaching after this season...but the true test will be if the guys continue to progress. If that happens, we may have another solid coach on our staff.

Having a great athlete like Skai Moore can help...I want to see how TJ, Kaiwan, Marquis, Larenz and Diggs improve over this spring.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote