CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
spareparts
b381l
ertman420
usc1
Ericvol2096
robgusc76
SCohioBoy
Ole Miss Projected R (796)
2001 vs Sandstorm (775)
Tennessee hires Donn (752)
Acock reviews the SE (655)
So who was the dude (636)
Sunday college footb (622)
Does anyone have a l (336)
Florida Georgia Line (257)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (233)
Purple drank (203)
2001 vs Sandstorm
response from charter abo
Acock reviews the SEC Net
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
SEC Network "Take It
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2015 - D.J. Jones
Name a Gamecock
Get the SEC Network for y

Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: I'm Getting Stoked!

Bordering on below average is close enough. We were not an offensive power house but not "bordering on below average" either. This has to be one of our best offensive years since Spurrier got here. Anyway, we were on pace to set the school record early on the season as I heard Suggs and Ellis on the radio prior to some game. I find it hard to believe we actually picked up at the end of the season from a records setting pace regardless of the CC game. I just don't see our D as carrying us this year like they did the last 2 years. I believe we were a top 10 D in the country 2 years ago and we were no where near that this year even though I see us at 18 this year. We just seem softer overall on D and our O seemed better than the last 2 years. We will just disagree on this is all.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

This discussion headed off in the directions of statistical rankings...

I will take national rankings over stats any day...

That's why I would take Connor Shaw over almost any other quarterback.

Perfect example: Mike Davis would have had unbelievable numbers if we had just given him the ball more. For a variety of reasons (probably wanted a balanced attack), Coach didn't load him with 30+ carries a game.

If we have a healthy Brandon Wilds next year with a healthy Mike Davis, I would like to see our run/pass ratio go up in favor of the run game.

I believe this tandem can wear down a defense to a point that they "snap" and we can run our offense at will on them. I want to see continued improvement on the line to where we can get that "push" like we did against Alabama in 2010. In that game, our offensive line absolutely dominated the Alabama defensive line, and we never let up.

This year, whenever we got the run game going, we took our foot off the gas and inserted a significant number of pass plays.

Wilds is a beast of a runner who can physically knock you on your backside. I want to see more of that, where defenses are reeling backward.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
I love Connor, but damn man. I can't gloss over the fact that his bi-polar play has our offense ranked in the bottom half of the conference. We are fortunately 10-2 BECAUSE of our defense. Our offense is bordering on below average and Connor has much to do with that.

I love what Connor has done here, God Bless him, but he is not the ultimate QB.

Our defense has carried this team all year and I expect nothing less in the bowl. The offense will struggle like it has all year. Those are the facts.
The defense ranks so high statistically, in large part, because Shaw doesn't throw interceptions. The offense protects the defense. That's been a very successful formula for us.

Clearly, we could increase our point-per-game if Shaw came out slinging it every game, without any regard for turning the ball over or running time off the clock? How has that strategy worked for A&M this season?

And, oh by the way, we finished ahead of Bama in total offense, and the Tide have played their share of Coastal Carolina's this season.

Spurrier and Saban are legends for a reason. They are more concerned with wins than offensive stats.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default I'm Getting Stoked!

Fall practice started today, wonder how much film the team has seen?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
DJ35
4-Star

Male

DJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spursDJ35 has earned his spurs

Quote:
I love Connor, but damn man. I can't gloss over the fact that his bi-polar play has our offense ranked in the bottom half of the conference. We are fortunately 10-2 BECAUSE of our defense. Our offense is bordering on below average and Connor has much to do with that.

Our defense has carried this team all year and I expect nothing less in the bowl. The offense will struggle like it has all year. Those are the facts.
Really? I don't know if you record all the games like I do, but if you do, you may want to go back and rewatch the season because this is just wrong.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Actually, the offense bailed out the defense for the first half of the year... The defense stepped up in the 2nd half of the year, and we needed that once we started to get banged up on the offensive side of the ball.. Mike Davis being hurt really hurt the overall offense in our last 6 games..
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #27
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Actually, the offense bailed out the defense for the first half of the year... The defense stepped up in the 2nd half of the year, and we needed that once we started to get banged up on the offensive side of the ball.. Mike Davis being hurt really hurt the overall offense in our last 6 games..
My thoughts exactly..made me really nervous too as I feel much more comfortable relying on defense than offense. The old saying, "defense wins championships".
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #28
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Really which games did the offense bail out the defense? Let me make it easier, which GAME? Clowney was hurt and missed 2 games.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:

You do realize that our offense this year is the best one that Steve Spurrier has had in his time here, correct? I know by far we are putting up the most yards per game under Spurrier, and I read that we are pretty close to setting a new record for most points we have scored in a season.

If you look at the season, our offense was the main reason we won the Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and probably the Central Florida game. Our defense made massive brain farts in all of those games that resulted in them being close.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #30
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
You do realize that our offense this year is the best one that Steve Spurrier has had in his time here, correct? I know by far we are putting up the most yards per game under Spurrier, and I read that we are pretty close to setting a new record for most points we have scored in a season.

If you look at the season, our offense was the main reason we won the Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and probably the Central Florida game. Our defense made massive brain farts in all of those games that resulted in them being close.
What did you not understand about total offense ranked 33rd in the country and 7th in the SEC?

Our defense had some bad moments like every other defense in the country, but overall was above average. OUR OFFENSE WAS NOT.

Kentucky - The defense gave up 7 points through 3 quarters without Clowney. An Ellington 4th quarter fumble set KU up for an easy score. Offense scores 11 second half points. The defense played well both halves

Vandy - offense played well for 1 half. The offense scores 7 second half points. A Carson fumble led to 7 Vandy points. The Defense played well both halves.

UCF - Can't believe you used this game as "the main reason" we won. THE OFFENSE WAS SHUTOUT THE FIRST HALF. It is better than the 3 quarters the offense was shutout in the mizzou game though.

We took control of this game after the D held after a Wilds fumble and a Legree INT.

Seems y'all want to rewrite history.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
What did you not understand about total offense ranked 33rd in the country and 7th in the SEC?

Our defense had some bad moments like every other defense in the country, but overall was above average. OUR OFFENSE WAS NOT.

Kentucky - The defense gave up 7 points through 3 quarters without Clowney. An Ellington 4th quarter fumble set KU up for an easy score. Offense scores 11 second half points. The defense played well both halves

Vandy - offense played well for 1 half. The offense scores 7 second half points. A Carson fumble led to 7 Vandy points. The Defense played well both halves.

UCF - Can't believe you used this game as "the main reason" we won. THE OFFENSE WAS SHUTOUT THE FIRST HALF. It is better than the 3 quarters the offense was shutout in the mizzou game though.

We took control of this game after the D held after a Wilds fumble and a Legree INT.

Seems y'all want to rewrite history.
Shaw didn't play in the first half of the UCF game nor the first 3 quarters of the Missouri game.

As for Kentucky and Vandy, we only punt once when Connor Shaw in the game. Every other drive, we either scored or ran out the clock. The problem was the defense couldn't get Vandy and Kentucky off the field.

The defense played just OK against in the second half of the Vandy and Kentucky games. The special teams played poorly in both games, but that's not the offense's fault and certainly not Shaw's. So I don't understand why you singled him out.

But the whole discussion is off base. Carolina and Bama finished 7th and 8th in the conference in total offense. They also finished top 8 in the final AP Poll. Do you really not grasp how Saban and Spurrier sacrifice offensive production for the sake of protecting their defense?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
Tailfeathers
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Shaw didn't play in the first half of the UCF game nor the first 3 quarters of the Missouri game.

As for Kentucky and Vandy, we only punt once when Connor Shaw in the game. Every other drive, we either scored or ran out the clock. The problem was the defense couldn't get Vandy and Kentucky off the field.

But the whole discussion is off base. Carolina and Bama finished 7th and 8th in the conference in total offense. They also finished top 8 in the final AP Poll. Do you really not grasp how Saban and Spurrier sacrifice offensive production for the sake of protecting their defense?
You don't know what you are talking about. Shaw started but got hurt and fumbled the ball.

UCF 6/11 3rd down conversions, 427 total yards. Defense gave up opening drive TD. Defenses worst game of the year, but still held on while the offense struggled. Zero first half points.

Vandy 5-11 3rd down conversions, 301 total yards. The defense played well. DT's INT setup Vandy's only first half TD. Carson's fumble led to another Vandy TD.

It's senseless to continue to argue with people who have based their opinions on perception versus facts.

The fact is the defense was again above average and the offense again, very average.

SOS doesn't mind calling out the D, but he needs to get his offense ranked in the top 15 before throwing blame.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #33
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. Shaw started but got hurt and fumbled the ball.

UCF 6/11 3rd down conversions, 427 total yards. Defense gave up opening drive TD. Defenses worst game of the year, but still held on while the offense struggled. Zero first half points.

Vandy 5-11 3rd down conversions, 301 total yards. The defense played well. DT's INT setup Vandy's only first half TD. Carson's fumble led to another Vandy TD.

It's senseless to continue to argue with people who have based their opinions on perception versus facts.

The fact is the defense was again above average and the offense again, very average.

SOS doesn't mind calling out the D, but he needs to get his offense ranked in the top 15 before throwing blame.
Ok. Shaw played briefly against UCF. He had 30 yards rushing on that first drive. He was headed for a big day before the injury.

You ignore my point about Bama because either you know I'm right or you don't understand football. In either case, you're correct when you suggest it's senseless to continue to argue.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
Tailfeathers
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Ok. Shaw played briefly against UCF. He had 30 yards rushing on that first drive. He was headed for a big day before the injury.

You ignore my point about Bama because either you know I'm right or you don't understand football. In either case, you're correct when you suggest it's senseless to continue to argue.
The reason I'm ignoring it is because it's a baseless opinion full of speculation. If we want to speculate I'll inject Whammy would rather he worry about the offense and score some points.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

UCF had over 200 yards of offense in the 4th quarter, and a majority of those yards were on 2 plays (both plays over 75 yards) on busted coverages.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
Tailfeathers
Starter

Quote:
UCF had over 200 yards of offense in the 4th quarter, and a majority of those yards were on 2 plays (both plays over 75 yards) on busted coverages.
The defense gave up 21 points that game; Ellington's fumble gave them 7, but if you want to blame that on the D too, go ahead. It's par for the course. But the young defense stymied KU for most of the game. WTH else did y'all expect out of this young defense?

Still finished second best in the league. Where's the offense?