CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
Jethro Beaver
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #121
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Getting to Know Wisconsin

LT Marz is so slow he was beat some many times by the Penn State DE that he was benched. Not sure if he will start against Clowney.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #122
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Mike Davis was leading the SEC in rushing until the end of the season. He has had multiple scores from 75 yards and shown the ability to drag 2-3 defenders into the endzone with him. You're telling me that Wisconsins 2nd string back is clearly better than him. Yea, no I'm not buying that. Wisconsin is a better running team than us. Your backs are not better than Mike Davis.

Have you seen Melvin Gordon play? How much Wisconsin football have you seen this season?

Thought transition:

Historically, we have come out slow in bowl games under Spurrier. Just like at the beginning of every season (bowl or regular) There is always rust with our passing game. It may take a while for Shaw to get going and hopefully we won't be 14-21 down when he does.

Carolina will win if Vic can handle Aberderis (and I think he can) and the young LB's don't get turned into road kill, and the passing game is working at a normal level. Otherwise, this is an awful match-up for us.

Last edited by Nureye; 12-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #123
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Have you seen Melvin Gordon play? How much Wisconsin football have you seen this season?

I've watched his highlights and he is a great back. That being said, I dont think he's on another level from Mike Davis. MD is one of the best backs in the nation IMO. If you want to say they're equal than I can accept that, but to act like Gordon is a whole level above Davis isn't true IMO. I understand the stats and they are impressive but also understand that Wisconsins identity and focus is pounding it out on the ground. That's not our identity or focus so I'm not going to say he's better because of his gaudy numbers.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #124
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Gentlemen, let me put is simple, 10 of 12 games Wisconsin played this year was against the bottom 15 defenses in D1 football. Wisconsin Backs are talented and the numbers they have reflect their talent. However when they played against Ohio State a good defense just under our Gamecock defense they got crushed. Last week Penn State defense crushed those same backs. Wisconsin offense has not played a defense like ours.
One thing for sure their offense don't come close to Clemson in talent or speed. For Vic to shut down Sammy 3 years in a row, Wisconsin receivers don't come close to Sammy, Jordon Mathews, the Mizzou 6'6 wideouts, North Carolina or UCF wideouts. In other words Wisconsin has 1 I repeat 1 good wideout. We have played and beat way better. Lastly, to compare Mike Davis stats against the Wisconsin backs stats, makes no sense at all. Its like Mike is playing in the SEC each week against NFL caliber defenses, when this year Wisconsin because the teams they played are down, is like playing High School defense. If you look at the last four Wisconsin games, and compare our last four you will see, Wisconsin has not played the speed we bring on defense and offense. Simply read the local Wisconsin articles about how Wisconsin defense is trying to REDEEM THEMSELF. The mistakes I saw were coaching and talent. for example that huge LT got beat by the small Penn State DE by speed rushing. What do you think Clowney, English, Sutton, Dixon, and Mason are going to do. Penn State played two DE's we play 5. They must face the fact that this is not the monster Wisconsin teams of the past. Nor are we the weak teams of the past. For example our true freshmen linebacker was voted by all the SEC coaches 1st team all SEC Freshmen defense. He also led the team in tackles and only started 4 games. Ski runs a 4.5 forty. Man for man our talent is better than any played this year. Finally, our game is power running, that is why we average 39 minutes per game of ball control. After watching Wisconsin defense, we will do the same against them. Besides those very talented backs can't gain yards on the bench. Its no secret Wisconsin DB's will not be able to run with Roland 4'4, Ellington 4.4, Byrd 4.3, Jones 4.4 speed. Tell me how a 5'11 246lbs linebacker is going to keep up with our 6'6 250 lbs tightends. Mr. Borland is a great defensive player against the run, but we have played better, for example Mr. Sam at Mizzou. Wisconsin defense is about as good as Arkansas, who we put 52 on. Given Wisconsin credit my score is Gamecocks 42, Wisconsin 17 against our 2nd team. Conner Shaw is no loser. Remember Clemson and Mizzou were -7 and -10 respectfully. That only made us play better. For Wisconsin to be -1 is a joke.

Last edited by fridayserv; 12-13-2013 at 02:22 PM.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #125
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think this is almost a nightmare match up for us. Very good defense, and strong running game. Think Mizzou's offense and Florida's defense.

I think our only chance is to get an early lead and make Wisky play catch-up. Our D-line is going to have to play their best game of the year.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #126
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

I don't think we'll blow them out.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #127
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Your Friend Bucky has hatched from the shell

Do people on here listen to fridayserv? Every boards has their fair share of characters.

I'm getting quite a kick out his comments :D
Your Friend Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #128
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Friend Bucky View Post
Do people on here listen to fridayserv? Every boards has their fair share of characters.

Not the grounded ones.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #129
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think this is almost a nightmare match up for us. Very good defense, and strong running game. Think Mizzou's offense and Florida's defense.

I think our only chance is to get an early lead and make Wisky play catch-up. Our D-line is going to have to play their best game of the year.
Are you being sarcastic? Their offense is nothing like Mizzou's offense.

They are a power run heavy offense with a good run blocking OL, a stable of very good backs, one good (white) WR, a QB who is generally considered to be a liability and incapable of winning games by himself.

They are a defense with a good, veteran front 7, but a very young/exploitable secondary.

Most of their fans are coming into this game thinking that their RB's (especially Gordon) are better than Mike Davis. Fact is, it is quite likely that they will leave the game with that same opinion, because Spurrier is going to be licking his chops at throwing on this secondary, especially considering they will probably be stout vs the run. Also, we all know our defense has been susceptible at times vs the power run game, so we will likely see a lot more of their backs than we will of any of ours.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #130
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:

This is the first I have seen of him.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #131
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Yeah Missouri offense is a poor comparison. I'm not sure there is an offense in the SEC that is terribly similar to what we do.

Alabama may be the closest, but even that isn't a great comparison IMO.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #132
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Yea Mizzou and Wisconsin's offense are not alike.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #133
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic? Their offense is nothing like Mizzou's offense.
For all the James Franklin talk we heard this year, Missouri was #16 in Total offense, #17 in the country in rushing offense and # 40 in passing offense. Of all the opponents we faced in 2013, Missouri is the closest thing we saw to Wisconsin's O (It's just that Mizzou is a much, much better passing team (Wis #18 Total Offense, #8 rushing offense, #90 Passing Offense)).

And yes, I understand that the way these two teams rush is the ball is totally different, but it's as close as we saw this year.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #134
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I wanted to share some additional thoughts regarding the Gordon vs Davis comparisons...

The stats seem to show that all 3 backs (Davis, Gordon, White) all have similar big play ability. So, what dimension does Gordon have that Davis does not? Wisconsin as a whole appears to be a much better RB power run team than us. They put an emphasis on this and the OL. The team executes the blocking very well. It's their thing. That's not our thing. We are a balanced, often pass happy at times, offense with Spurrier calling plays. We are not known for having exceptional OL play. Our OL play is improved this year and we have some big boys with lots of potential there, but our blocking has been inconsistent at times. Due to this, and the fact that Spurrier is often times quick to abandon the run if it's not successful early, some teams have been able to do a good job holding our run game in check. Ok, so all that being said, I have been watching Wisconsin highlights. Their backs are good and do make some great plays, but it seems, FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, that the blocking is usually very good and that their RB's spend a lot of time getting into the second level untouched. Also, it does not appear that their RB's are heavily involved in the receving game. Mike Davis spends a lot of time getting hit in the backfield and breaking tackles just to be able to make a run play to begin with. His highlight reel clearly shows that he is very physical and tough. Also, he is an excellent receiver. If anything, I would say that Davis has a dimension, maybe two, that the Wisky backs do not have.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #135
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Yeah Missouri offense is a poor comparison. I'm not sure there is an offense in the SEC that is terribly similar to what we do.

Alabama may be the closest, but even that isn't a great comparison IMO.
Is your offensive system really that much different than it was last year? Because Bielema coaches in the SEC now and I understand he brought basically the same system with him.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #136
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
Gentlemen, let me put is simple, 10 of 12 games Wisconsin played this year was against the bottom 15 defenses in D1 football.
Not true. The average Defense they faced was ranked #66 in total defense, almost the exact middle of D1. Yes, they did face some dogs, but they faced, and beat, some very good defenses.

U mass #98
ASU, #31
Purdue #104
OSU #29
NW #89
Ill #110
Iowa #7
BYU #51
Indiana #121
Minn #41
Penn ST #49
Average #66.4

FWIW, the best defense we saw was Florida at #10 and the worst Kentucky @ #93.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #137
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
For all the James Franklin talk we heard this year, Missouri was #16 in Total offense, #17 in the country in rushing offense and # 40 in passing offense. Of all the opponents we faced in 2013, Missouri is the closest thing we saw to Wisconsin's O (It's just that Mizzou is a much, much better passing team (Wis #18 Total Offense, #8 rushing offense, #90 Passing Offense)).
The comparison just doesn't make any sense, man. Their personnel and system are absolutely nothing alike offensively.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #138
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Typically our blocking is outstanding which can result in RB's getting artificially awesome numbers. There have been RB's who put up impressive stats but have virtually no chance at a pro career (recently PJ Hill and John Clay)

Just as a comment, Gordon is the most talented back we have had in at least a decade.

It's still hard to gauge exactly how good he is as a "complete" back, but it's mostly due to lack of opportunity. Gordon *can* catch the ball (scored on a ~50 yard screen pass @ Penn St last year), he just isn't as good at it as White is.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #139
B-G
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

And yes, I understand that the way these two teams rush is the ball is totally different, but as you all have said, it's as close as we saw this year.
Mizzou runs a spread no huddle with runs coming out of the read option.

Wisconsin does not.

Just because they put up similar stats doesn't mean the offense is similar.

Wisconsin is 8th nationally in rushing and auburn is first.
Both are heavy run teams, that doesn't mean both are similar offenses.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #140
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
The comparison just doesn't make any sense, man. Their personnel and system are absolutely nothing alike offensively.
Yes. I understand that.

The comparison I AM trying to make here, is that Missouri was simply the team with the highest rated rushing offense that we faced this year. And by a pretty good margin. We have not other points of reference that we can compare the badgers to out of our 2013 opponents. That's all.