CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
CoverTwo
ertman420
sc455
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
Victor Hampton Arrested
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Joeckel Transfering from
how has more ESPN anounce
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM

Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #141
zoobadger
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurs
Default Re: Getting to Know Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I don't think we'll blow them out.
The last time I remember the Badgers being truly manhandled was the gruesome 2008 Champs Sports Bowl when a mediocre Florida State Team beat us in every phase of the game. The Badgers typically have a fighting chance in the 4th quarter, even when they're not favored.

So a blowout is unlikely. But no surprise that 69% of 7,300 on my phone's Yahoo sports app picked the Gamecocks. Not a shocker if Bucky wins, but most would regard that as a minor upset irrespective of the betting line.

Last edited by zoobadger; 12-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
zoobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #142
TAFC 5 1981
4-Star

Male

TAFC 5 1981 has earned his spursTAFC 5 1981 has earned his spursTAFC 5 1981 has earned his spursTAFC 5 1981 has earned his spursTAFC 5 1981 has earned his spursTAFC 5 1981 has earned his spurs

"One thing for sure their offense don't come close to Clemson in talent or speed."

Probably true, but they may have a real coach. If they have success running, they won't abandon it and get cute (or dumb) like we did. If you stop or even slow down their run, then SC wins the game unless turnovers change the outcome.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #143
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
Probably true, but they may have a real coach.
I can tell you this. Living in Utah, I got a good dose of Gary Anderson before he left for Wisky. He went toe to toe with Utah and BYU every year, with inferior talent to boot.

That being said, he's no Steve Spurrier.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #144
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Yes. I understand that.

The comparison I AM trying to make here, is that Missouri was simply the team with the highest rated rushing offense that we faced this year. And by a pretty good margin. We have not other points of reference that we can compare the badgers to out of our 2013 opponents. That's all.
But their philosophy of how they run the ball is completely different.

Wisconsin is closest to Florida but much better.
Even Georgia when they played us is a better comparison.
They were all healthy and rushed for 227 yards against us in a much more similar approach.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #145
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:

They were all healthy and rushed for 227 yards against us in a much more similar approach.
This. I think Florida is probably the best comparison, except Wisconsin has better QB play and RB depth (bc UF was decimated with injuries when we played them).
Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #146
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Davis is one of the most complete backs I've ever watched play.

Gordon is a speed/finesse back. That's not to say he can't break a tackle here and there, but I would not classify him as a physical back.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #147
zoobadger
Walk On

Male

zoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurszoobadger has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
"One thing for sure their offense don't come close to Clemson in talent or speed."

Probably true, but they may have a real coach. If they have success running, they won't abandon it and get cute (or dumb) like we did. If you stop or even slow down their run, then SC wins the game unless turnovers change the outcome.
GA deserves a lot of credit for taking charge during a chaotic time and getting things under control quietly and quickly. Not only did Bielema depart suddenly and unexpectedly, but that was after losing all of the key assistant coaches the prior year when Paul Chryst took most of Brett's key lieutenants with him when he took the HC job at Pitt. It would be easy to understand if the players took a "me first" mentality after being buffeted by so much coaching turnover.

And I'd add that he's done a great job of adapting to the nature of the players he inherited rather than trying to force a bunch of square pegs into round holes. By contrast, just look what happened when Rich Rodriguez tried to install the spread at Michigan: it was an unmitigated disaster. There might be another QB on the roster who fits the scheme GA ultimately wants to run, but he's smart enough to know that Stave, in spite of his obvious shortcomings, still gives us the best chance to win so he's adapted to the players rather than forcing them to adapt to him.

And by all accounts he's personable, honest, and genuinely likable. None of those things are necessary to win a lot of football games (in fact they're probably liabilities) but the wins are especially gratifying when your coach isn't widely regarded as a boorish asshole. We learned that first hand, lol...

Last edited by zoobadger; 12-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #148
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
This. I think Florida is probably the best comparison, except Wisconsin has better QB play and RB depth (bc UF was decimated with injuries when we played them).
I think ya'll are right....

Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #149
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Sorry to continue harping on the Davis Gordon comparisons, but I just want to leave these two videos here for comparison:

They are two excellent backs for sure.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #150
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I think ya'll are right....
No need to think.

Because we are.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #151
zoobadger
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Davis is one of the most complete backs I've ever watched play.

Gordon is a speed/finesse back. That's not to say he can't break a tackle here and there, but I would not classify him as a physical back.
Melvin Gordon is not the Badger's starting tailback. James White gets more carries and participates in more plays. They each bring different skills and dimensions. And the Badger running game is a "system." It's not a matter of just stopping or tackling a running back. It's understanding your assignment, it's shedding blocks, it's containing on the edges, it's your cornerback on an island play after play.

Your starting RB probably is an NFL prospect. But that misses the point.

Most likely your DE and LB's can hold their own. But you're probably underestimating (or at least misunderstanding) the Badger running attack by focusing solely on the skill-set of one guy.

Last edited by zoobadger; 12-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #152
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Sorry to continue harping on the Davis Gordon comparisons, but I just want to leave these two videos here for comparison:

They are two excellent backs for sure.
The difference between those videos is the quality of the defenses in both of them....

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #153
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobadger View Post
Melvin Gordon is not the Badger's starting tailback. James White gets more carries and participates in more plays. They each bring different skills and dimensions. And the Badger running game is a "system." It's not a matter of just stopping or tackling a running back. It's understanding your assignment, it's shedding blocks, it's containing on the edges, it's your cornerback on an island play after play.

Your starting RB probably is an NFL prospect. But that misses the point.

Most likely your DE and LB's can hold their own. But you're probably underestimating (or at least misunderstanding) the Badger running attack by focusing solely on the skill-set of one guy.
Um, no... If you go back further in the thread, you will see where zbadger stated that Gordon will easily be the best back playing in the Capital One Bowl... that's what I'm addressing. I'm simply comparing Davis to Gordon.

I am well aware of the fact that Wisconsin's success on the ground is a direct result of the system that you guys run and how well your team executes their blocking... in fact, I've already stated this in my previous posts today...

I ain't here for the booty scratchin' contest... keep up, man, keep up...

Oh, and lolz at Mike Davis is "probably an NFL prospect".
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #154
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

As an aside, I just want to comment on how badass the above Mike Davis highlight video is... I want to run through a wall right now.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #155
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Your Friend Bucky has hatched from the shell

Don't take people dismissing Mike Davis personally. Clearly he is an excellent back.

Obviously fan bases will side towards "their guy."

Throw in the fact that Gordon is considered one of the top few RB prospects for this upcoming draft... it's hard to NOT think he's awesome.
Your Friend Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #156
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

I expect a 4 quarter game. I think the difference here will come down to defense for either team.

I am expecting a Gamecock win, but we won't wrap it up until the 4th qtr
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #157
Your Friend Bucky
Walk On

Male

Your Friend Bucky has hatched from the shell

For anybody curious I actually found a nice article breaking down some principles of our defensive front scheme.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...-gary-andersen

They use some in-game examples from against Ohio State (with video).

I just stumbled upon this today.
Your Friend Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #158
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Friend Bucky View Post
Don't take people dismissing Mike Davis personally. Clearly he is an excellent back.

Obviously fan bases will side towards "their guy."

Throw in the fact that Gordon is considered one of the top few RB prospects for this upcoming draft... it's hard to NOT think he's awesome.
Frankly, I think the Davis vs Gordon/White battle is going to be pretty much a push. Both teams are going to get their yards. Honestly, I just hope Davis is back to full strength by Jan, 1.

I think the difference, at least on the offensive side of the ball, is going to be Shaw vs Stave, or more succinctly: Will Shaw's ability to run the ball and throw the ball make up for the difference that the badgers are going to have on the ground.

One facet of the game where I think we have a distinct advantage is turnovers. We've been very good at ball protection this year. That trend needs to continue.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #159
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Great videos of both backs. For the record I'm a Carolina Grad and former NFL Agent! Additionally, Carolina will run by committee with Brandon Wilds, and Carson. I also expect to see David Williams the next great running back. I'm not sure if playing in this game would effect his redshirt year. After seeing the Wisconsin back he could play for any SEC team. Whammy I'm sure will be ready!
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #160
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
Great videos of both backs. For the record I'm a Carolina Grad and former NFL Agent! Additionally, Carolina will run by committee with Brandon Wilds, and Carson. I also expect to see David Williams the next great running back. I'm not sure if playing in this game would effect his redshirt year. After seeing the Wisconsin back he could play for any SEC team. Whammy I'm sure will be ready!
You're going to be disappointed. He won't see the field.