CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
ktguen
3MTA3
markp_vip
jrussjr
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Larenz Bryant update (876)
Hillsborough (540)
2015 - Chris Clark (473)
2016 - Greg Little (470)
Joeckel Transfering (466)
UK's Whitlow to tran (455)
Bamberg High School (311)
USC Tartan Unvieled (257)
Its April 15th and i (256)
Jameis Winston's Accuser
A'ja Wilson
purchasing football ticke
Need Bama-USC Tickets (Ba
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
MLS Atlanta
UK's Whitlow to transfer
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Steve Spurrier Field at Williams Brice Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
So it's all my fault? Listen, I know what you're saying but some people that have been fans since the 70's, still saying the Cockpit a few times a year on message boards has nothing to do with the University not accepting a permanent nickname for the stadium. The University of South Carolina is in South Carolina where change happens very slowly. Don't blame a select few of fans, blame the board of trustees or the AD.

And yes, I would like for them to adopt a permanent nickname for the stadium that is used through the season by the fans and the media, but The Cockpit is all we have, Willy B. shouldn't even be in the discussion, but those are the two nicknames we have.

Come up with a better nickname and submit it to the University, but blaming some fans for the lack of a permanent nickname is ludicrous.
Never said it was your fault, unless you have a lot more power than you are letting on. Was not the intention of my post. Just pointing out that every one who says "we already have a nickname" won't be part of the solution of finding a real one we can use. If you feel we already have a nickname, seems you will be less likely to help find one.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Never said it was your fault, unless you have a lot more power than I realize. Was not the intention of my post. Just pointing out that every one who says "we already have a nickname" won't be part of the solution of finding a real one we can use.
I do agree we need a better nickname for the stadium and I hope we find one soon while were are in the mist of winning a SECCG. I think it would be great, especially with the SEC Network starting next year and we are kicking it all off at Williams-Brice.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I say we name the field at Memorial stadium after him and work up from there.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I say we name the field at Memorial stadium after him and work up from there.
Damn we need a like button on here

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

For the people that say "THE COCKPIT" isn't our nickname and that you don't know anybody who refers to it as that, I'm sorry, but just because you don't know someone or happen to not like the nickname doesn't mean that it isn't a popular one.

The media does use it. They have shown the sign in the student section numerous times over the years. And it has been referred to in discussions on many of occasions as well.

The fact that the university doesn't want to use it has nothing to do with the fact that people have used it for a long time.
A very popular saying goes as follows,"the best nicknames are the ones given to you. Not the one that you give yourself"

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

I went to school in the mid to late 80's and attended about every game in the 90's at home. I never heard anyone calling it the cockpit.

I saw on message boards guys wanting it to be the nickname...but never heard it called that way in real life.

that would be hilarious to start calling tater valley "Spurrier field."
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

The Roost would be the perfect nickname for the stadium. Yes, I know there are already some establishments with the name, but it's still perfect. Just like a "swamp" is a place to find gators, a roost is a place to see a rooster, or in our case, a gamecock. A cockpit is a place for a pilot, and that's precisely why I think that nickname would be much better suited for Air Force.

As for naming the field after Spurrier, my vote is a resounding no. I think that's essentially saying no one will ever be able to surpass Spurrier's accomplishments. Once he leaves, if several coaches come and go and the program doesn't improve, then maybe we should discuss the topic again, but not just yet.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
Salmon
Recruit

Male

Salmon has hatched from the shell

I think this should be done. When he passes away, it's going to really hurt because he gave so much to the university and to us that we never appreciate when he's here. All the people who are criticizing him, what will you think when he's dead? We need to do something in his memory. We need to commemorate him
Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

If we do this, then we need need to have the Lattimore weightroom and an on-campus bar named Garcia's.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

why does it even need a nickname? better yet why do people like to force nicknames on things like stadiums or student sections?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Tony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his clawsTony is sharpening his claws

It was a large donation from the estste of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice that led to the current name. The expansion increased capacity to 54,000 in 1971-72. I think the nickname of "Willy B" kind of dishonors the legacy of a generous benefactor.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
It was a large donation from the estste of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice that led to the current name. The expansion increased capacity to 54,000 in 1971-72. I think the nickname of "Willy B" kind of dishonors the legacy of a generous benefactor.
I'm not hardcore about it, but I've always tended to agree with this.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #33
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Willy B isn't good.

Gamecocks fought in Cockpit's long before planes ever flew in the sky.

The years I went to most all the home games were 77-1988 and I heard it all the time. Bumper stickers, tee-shirts, you saw it before and after the games in the tail gate areas and walking to and from the stadium. We started calling it the cockpit around 1974 because we were raising money for astro-turf and the media campaign was called, Carpet the Cockpit. It is part of our history.

I'm sure the reason the University hasn't adopted it permanently is because of the PC animal activists out there that need to stay out of sports. We had to give up the Fighting in our nickname because of them, if I'm not mistaken. We were the 'Fighting Gamecocks', now just the 'Gamecocks'.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Bob Fulton used "The Cockpit" for many years during his radio calls of the game, something like, "Hello, everybody, this is Bob Fulton coming to you today from the Cockpit at Carolina Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina on a gorgeous day for football as the Gamecocks will take on the visiting Demon Deacons of Wake Forest University in front of a capacity crowd."

The term was used more frequently back then by fans, but when he retired it pretty much went out of vogue.

It would be nice to have a nickname, but like most, they can't be forced or they become what they are, contrived and unnatural. Let's be honest there are not many out there which could be used to connect to our mascot, so we may never have one.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #35
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
The Roost would be the perfect nickname for the stadium. Yes, I know there are already some establishments with the name, but it's still perfect. Just like a "swamp" is a place to find gators, a roost is a place to see a rooster, or in our case, a gamecock. A cockpit is a place for a pilot, and that's precisely why I think that nickname would be much better suited for Air Force.

As for naming the field after Spurrier, my vote is a resounding no. I think that's essentially saying no one will ever be able to surpass Spurrier's accomplishments. Once he leaves, if several coaches come and go and the program doesn't improve, then maybe we should discuss the topic again, but not just yet.

Cockpit is a term for a pit for cock fighting as well. I do agree that the first thing that most folks think of is a place for pilots.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Great idea but not until spurrier gets at least one sec and/or nat champ title.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post
I think this should be done. When he passes away, it's going to really hurt because he gave so much to the university and to us that we never appreciate when he's here. All the people who are criticizing him, what will you think when he's dead? We need to do something in his memory. We need to commemorate him

Are you this guy?

If so I'd like to apologize for being a jerk to you in High School.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #38
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post

The media does use it. They have shown the sign in the student section numerous times over the years. And it has been referred to in discussions on many of occasions as well.

The fact that the university doesn't want to use it has nothing to do with the fact that people have used it for a long time.
1. They also show "Marry Me Shaw" signs, I have seen a handful of pictures with someone holding that sign. I have never heard it on the broadcast. Having a sign appear on TV isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about an official name it gets referred to by everyone.

2. Spurrier asked for us to come up with one when he arrived. Just like he did with the Swamp, which is a nickname they chose for themselves. Seems to work from time to time.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #39
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

When his career is over would be the appropriate time for this discussion. I expect Spurrier to stay here until he breaks Bear Bryant's record for conference victories in the SEC. That will take about 6 more years.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #40
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

what is with all this national title talk? he hasnt even won an sec title yet
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote