CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Order 66
Cock Kool-Aid
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4297)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2431)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (883)
US Air nsfw tweet (717)
I like how Frank sou (642)
boiled peanuts (491)
Ahh...The Masters (484)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (444)
Tax day freebies (441)
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #
Hillsborough

Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #141
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 might be a tough year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Griffin played this year. David Johnson also redshirted and could make an impact at DE next year.

Also Devonte Covington did not make it into USC

I meant Devin Washington not Devonte.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #142
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
Do that. But keep Nick Saban at Bama and James Franklin at Vanderbilt. I bet Vanderbilt wins 9-10 games.
That's where James Franklin already has them, the reason we perform beyond our ratings in recruitting is because we recruit players that fit our system instead of grasping at stars, our S&C is elite, our development is solid, and one could argue that our coaches are great at finding overlooked talent, but we could do better at recruiting.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #143
Indiana Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1250
Indiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his comb

The truth is you never really know. Missouri was awful last year and they finish in the SEC championship game and Florida was a top 10 team last year and did not even sniff a bowl game. I mean Duke won 10 games this year. I can only hope that we have reached a point where even though we may lose a few game changers there will always be a group of players that will step up.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #144
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
That's where James Franklin already has them, the reason we perform beyond our ratings in recruitting is because we recruit players that fit our system instead of grasping at stars, our S&C is elite, our development is solid, and one could argue that our coaches are great at finding overlooked talent, but we could do better at recruiting.
I disagree. I don't think any coach in the country, outside of the top 5 (Saban types) could do any better than our staff is doing right now. We aren't in the best talent pool geographically. We don't have a long tradition of winning. Our facilities are good, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily better than other teams in the SEC. Our University has no obvious academic or student culture advantages to outsiders.

I'd say we are doing a darn good job of recruiting given all that. Having SOS is a huge advantage as far as that is concerned. What to do when he hangs it up though? How will we pull in the occasional top 10 class?
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #145
JoeMorrisonLives
4-Star

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
I disagree. I don't think any coach in the country, outside of the top 5 (Saban types) could do any better than our staff is doing right now. We aren't in the best talent pool geographically. We don't have a long tradition of winning. Our facilities are good, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily better than other teams in the SEC. Our University has no obvious academic or student culture advantages to outsiders.

I'd say we are doing a darn good job of recruiting given all that. Having SOS is a huge advantage as far as that is concerned. What to do when he hangs it up though? How will we pull in the occasional top 10 class?
I didn't mean our coaches were underachieving, I mean their are schools who pull more but our's shouldn't be underestimated, I just didn't phrase it well.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #146
wumarshall82
Bowl MVP

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

The way it works out for teams that suck one year and play Clemson or Carolina (in that bad year) is that they end up playing for a NC the next. Watch out for Florida... Ha ha
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #147
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
TAMU, and Auburn are our toughest games. Missouri and UGA at home should help, we should win those. We should beat UF at home, and who knows on Clemson.
We have UF at their place. Which is never easier to play in (unless you have a Lattimore).
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #148
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
The Mizzou game is going to be huge. Mauk will be a Sophomore and they still have those WR and some good backs. Their defense will probably take a big step back but they still have some good ones.
Yeah, the thing I feel the best about is that we get them at home. I think they will still be good but Mauk has enough "gunslinger" in him that there could be some growing pains. I liked the way we looked against them this year (even early on, frankly, we just couldn't put points on the board) and I think there will be a drop-off, + it's a home game. They will be hell to deal w/, though, you are right.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #149
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
We have UF at their place. Which is never easier to play in (unless you have a Lattimore).
yea that game is gonna be a good one. But our offense SHOULD be potent and our defense, despite losing talent, should be overall much more matured
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #150
Nuke LaLoosh
UFC ON THE SIDELINE

Male

Nuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Since I'm probably as good as anyone else on here at prognosticating, I'm going to say it will be a great season. Then I get to be happy for the next eight months, and the season will go however it goes.
Can we quote you on this Senator?
Nuke LaLoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #151
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Auburn will be tough. Unfortunately, I see that as a loss.

Really hoping next year we don't have a game where we completely shit the bed (2013 Tennessee, 2011 Auburn, etc)
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #152
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post

Get a coach who likes to recruit his butt off. Spurrier could care less about recruiting, he thinks he can out coach em on gameday. More often than not he's successful in doing so, but in order to win championships, we HAVE to bring in better talent.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #153
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
Get a coach who likes to recruit his butt off. Spurrier could care less about recruiting, he thinks he can out coach em on gameday. More often than not he's successful in doing so, but in order to win championships, we HAVE to bring in better talent.
What a short sighted way to see things....We have assistants who recruit their butts off and to say SOS could care less about recruiting is just an idiotic statement, he has been in college football the majority of his adult life and knows the importance of recruiting but also knows that * ratings do not mean a whole lot nor do recruiting rankings!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #154
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervousboowilliam4 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
What a short sighted way to see things....We have assistants who recruit their butts off and to say SOS could care less about recruiting is just an idiotic statement, he has been in college football the majority of his adult life and knows the importance of recruiting but also knows that * ratings do not mean a whole lot nor do recruiting rankings!
This^
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #155
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowilliam4 View Post
This^
We will see the fruits of our on field success in the past few years in the next 3 recruiting cycles. We will be loaded with talent in the next few years. It will make it tough to spurrier to leave.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #156
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
The Mizzou game is going to be huge. Mauk will be a Sophomore and they still have those WR and some good backs. Their defense will probably take a big step back but they still have some good ones.
Missouri finished 9th in the conference in total defense. Taking a step back would put them close to the bottom of the conference. Missouri's offense will have to be crazy Auburn good to overcome a defense that porous, if they're going to repeat.

The main reason I give them a chance to repeat next season is that they avoid Bama, LSU, and Auburn.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #157
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

I don't put a lot of stock in "stars on high school kids" as many good college football coaches will tell you that they can get a star or two added to a player if they want too. Also, many factors go into the ranking of these kids such as signing early or signing late. Bottom line is that you "never know how big of a heart a kid is going to have until you get him"! So lower ranked players can turn out to be studs while higher ranked players turn out to be duds! I like our chances with the coaching staff we have at USC to get them better. I fully believe our offense will be OK with Dylan T at QB. He can run, maybe not as good as Connor, but he has a strong arm and with the great receivers that we have (please use Tight Ends this upcoming season), we should be fine. Our defense will have to step up and get tough and play at a higher level and we should be fine. All of this sounds good, but that's why we play the games to see who is the best.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #158
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
People really think our offense wont be as good? It will be way better than with Shaw. Shaw is a great winer. But mostly does just enough to win. We will be spreading the ball around all over the field next year. It doesnt take a great QB to run spurriers system. It takes a QB that trust it and his arm. And is willing to make the throw.

Our passing offense has been pretty putrid while shaw has been the QB. Its just the truth. How many games did we have under 250 passing yars? Almost all of them. How many were below 200? A lot. How many below 100 a few. Thats just terrible lol. But we still won so it doesnt matter.

Likr i said earlier. We will rack up yards next year. But were going to need to cause dylan will tirn ut over way more than weve been used too. So i hope to get the best of both worlds. Lots of yards and lots of points
I agree with your post. DT will have more than 300 yards in most of those games. He's going to surprise all these people who are saying, "I love DT as a person, but . . ."

Do you folks who keep saying that know DT as a person? I doubt it. I also doubt that you would talk that way about a person you really love. I also get a kick out of the folks who praise Maty Mauk while criticizing DT's accuracy. Did you realize that Mauk passed for about 40% against us? DT is at nearly 58%, but people act like he can't hit the broad side of a barn. (I fully expect both of them to improve when they have the starting positions.)

I admire DT's character and work ethic. He's already a leader. Cann is his best friend, and he's coming back to block for his buddy. He has said that more than once publicly. Maybe you already owe DT more than you know.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #159
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke LaLoosh View Post
Can we quote you on this Senator?
Me, a Senator? No, if I were a Senator, we have much less of a mess in the government.

However, you may quote me to your heart's content.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #160
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

I think Franklin ends up at Texas, which would set Vanderbilt back some (potentially).