CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
i29gman
Lalli25
F4rpoole
Spur's Addiction
sporkgod50
GH
GoldenSpur7
b381l
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1746)
The #AskEmmert Q& (532)
Stadium Ratings-Site (360)
Peach Bowl name retu (253)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (252)
Construction of Worl (251)
Save Electricity By (203)
HELP calculating acr (177)
How Experienced In P (113)
Salut Salon "We (60)
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #81
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. Manhattan GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 View Post
The state of SC bball is a sad sad affair.... I don't even want to know how many people were there tonight. I was at Cock N Bull looking for the game on TV but came to this thread and realized it was only on radio. The semester is already over and we never get students to go to bball games anyway so I bet it was awful.
I was there. 25% full, and that's being generous. The mood was so incredibly grim from the staff to the fans to the players. Hell, the cheerleaders didn't look like they wanted to be there.

From a basketball perspective, Johnson needs to attack and facilitate the offense more. Most every play was just him dribbling at mid-court for 20 seconds and then trying to drive to the basket or making a contested pass.

And Thornwell had flashes of greatness but he needs to be more aggressive. He was too timid and disappeared for stretches. But when he decided to go he was special.

OH and the Manhattan coach is a jackass and their PG Alvarado was palming the ball nearly every time he dribbled and it was never called.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #82
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Martin is going to find out like Horn did that you can't win with unskilled but above average athletes and emphasize "defense" here. You have got to sacrifice defense for scoring and shooters. We won't get the kind of athletes that excel in man to man defense.
Yeah, I mean you can't say it any better. Shooting wins.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #83
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

I was there. And it was pathetic. Outside of Thornwell, we have no good basketball players
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #84
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Disappointing. Thought we would win a 5-7 point game against them. Damn sure didn't think they would blow us out in our own building. Look like it will be rockier than most of us thought, but I still believe Martin will get things turned around eventually.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #85
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
If somehow it doesn't work out with Frank, which I hope it works out great. I hope Tanner doesn't make the same mistake Hyman did.
I don't think we would...but at the same time, I think Marshall will be at a big program this time next year...I don't see him still at Wichita State much longer
Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #86
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
He's been awful since he started doing football and basketball together. He's just out there for leadership and stability.
Yeah I don't understand why we allow him to come in and play basketball and we act like he is a great ball player, he was good in high school, but you can't expect the chemistry to be there missing all that practice, and he isn't good, he for sure isn't and hasn't ever at Carolina been better than any of the PG's we have now. He is a damn good football player and a smart kid, and I would love to eat crow on this but it frustrates me he is playing basketball.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #87
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

We sure played bad tonight, but I'm going to be patient with Frank as he's a proven commodity. The Jaspers have practiced their free throws since last year. ;)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #88
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Marshall just felt like more of the natural fit.
He should have been the coach when we hired Horn and we should have paid him what ever he wanted to be the coach now.

Everything about the entire situation was and still is a more natural fit. We will never get him now but I have been saying this for close to a decade now and we have sucked balls for most of that decade.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #89
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Unhappy Re: **USC vs. Manhattan GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
2nd Half
11:57

Man 58
USC 53
Damn, down by 5 with 11 to go and get blown out at home. Must be the lack of experience. Looks like this year will be another wash, unless we have some kind of miraculous turnaround.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #90
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
the offense is clueless as to how to attack a zone. We do nothing but foul on defense. Lazy turnovers on offense, getting outrebounded, losing the free throw battle, it's just miserable
Sounds like the story of the basketball program the past 3-4 years.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #91
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Martin is going to find out like Horn did that you can't win with unskilled but above average athletes and emphasize "defense" here. You have got to sacrifice defense for scoring and shooters. We won't get the kind of athletes that excel in man to man defense.
Horn did sacrifice defense for scoring and shooters. He recruited:

Bruce
Galloway
Richardson
Leonard
Williams

All of them were advertised as scorers who could stretch the floor with their jump shot. None of them besides maybe Bruce could defend a chair though and none of their shooting/scoring translated to college. Galloway blossomed when he left Horn.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #92
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I was there. 25% full, and that's being generous. The mood was so incredibly grim from the staff to the fans to the players. Hell, the cheerleaders didn't look like they wanted to be there.

From a basketball perspective, Johnson needs to attack and facilitate the offense more. Most every play was just him dribbling at mid-court for 20 seconds and then trying to drive to the basket or making a contested pass.

And Thornwell had flashes of greatness but he needs to be more aggressive. He was too timid and disappeared for stretches. But when he decided to go he was special.

OH and the Manhattan coach is a jackass and their PG Alvarado was palming the ball nearly every time he dribbled and it was never called.
I still don't understand why the marketing department and school can't convince people to go to a basketball game anymore. It's sad. We have an awesome venue and one of the best coaches in college basketball.

I feel like the school messed up hard by embracing the "football is the only thing that matters" mindset of students.

Basketball is the one sport where homecourt advantage means the most. How is anyone supposed to win a meaningful game playing in front of 1/4 of Colonial Life?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #93
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Is it baseball season yet?

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #94
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I still have faith in Martin, but if Tanner was already the AD before Horn was canned, would he have gone after Marshall?
Marshall is a fantastic coach, but I don't think many people realize how lucky South Carolina is to have Frank Martin as their basketball coach right now.

Keep in mind that the state of South Carolina isn't exactly a hot bed for hoops and our program has been awful the past 15 years. Yet, when you drive down the interstate or downtown Columbia, there's Frank's face on a billboard for Gamecock Basketball.

Martin went 117-54 in a tough Big 12 from 2007-12. He made the NCAA Tournament 4 times and made it to the Sweet 16 or further 3 times. Do you know how many major programs would kill to have him right now? This is one of the youngest teams in the SEC and we still have another 4-star recruit coming in next season, give it some time.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #95
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1667066
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

I went to the game last night and it looks like we still run Darrin Horn's "shit the bed" offense. Our PG dribbles the ball for 20 seconds while no one moves around, then we have to jack a bad shot to beat the shot clock.

Michael Carrera is obviously our best player. Why is he on the bench so much?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #96
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Probably because Carrera plays too out of control. He'll make a good play on offense then foul a 3-point shooter the next possession.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #97
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
I still don't understand why the marketing department and school can't convince people to go to a basketball game anymore. It's sad. We have an awesome venue and one of the best coaches in college basketball.

I feel like the school messed up hard by embracing the "football is the only thing that matters" mindset of students.

Basketball is the one sport where homecourt advantage means the most. How is anyone supposed to win a meaningful game playing in front of 1/4 of Colonial Life?

Win and they will come.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #98
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
I went to the game last night and it looks like we still run Darrin Horn's "shit the bed" offense. Our PG dribbles the ball for 20 seconds while no one moves around, then we have to jack a bad shot to beat the shot clock.

Michael Carrera is obviously our best player. Why is he on the bench so much?

If Carrera is our best player, we are in trouble. Not bashing Carrera. I love the intensity he brings. But that's what he is. A guy who's gonna hustle, take a charge and grab a few rebounds. Hopefully this team will improve as the season goes on.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #99
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1667066
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
If Carrera is our best player, we are in trouble. Not bashing Carrera. I love the intensity he brings. But that's what he is. A guy who's gonna hustle, take a charge and grab a few rebounds. Hopefully this team will improve as the season goes on.

Thats just my opinion having watched last night. He hustles and shows like he is playing at 110%. Thornwell and Carerra seemed like the only guys who belonged on the court last night. Even Ellignton was playing poorly and normally he is very smart with the basketball.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #100
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Win and they will come.
So then Gamecock fans are fairweather? It's more like come to the games and we will win. I guarantee if 15,000 or so packed Colonial Life each home game, you would start to see things changing.

Duke is nothing without their homecourt environment.

There's no way we win that game against Kentucky in front of 3,000 fans. People just need to support the team for once.