CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
U-Dub Gamecock
ReadR00ster
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
Regalcock
b381l
catdaddy66
NJCocky14
BREAD (462)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (431)
South Carolina @ Aub (348)
Dress shirt help (293)
Starz Black Sails (249)
Best Child Acting Pe (153)
Sindarius Thornwell (113)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (57)
Unsung Hero (47)
Well gameday just go (13)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
South Carolina @ Auburn S
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Grill 225 (Market Pavilli
TOSHIBA Satellite i7 lapt
How to cut the mustard
Kelcy and Vic questioned
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit

Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #81
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs
Default Re: Victor Hampton to declare for the NFL draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
This may be a case of addition by subtraction. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is and many of the big plays given up this year were on him leaving his assignment trying to go into business for himself.
While, he has not been Mr. Consistency, why denigrate him for that most players in college football have similar issues.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #82
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Yet another one of our players who could use one more year to improve draft stock ala Ace Sanders and help us win the SEC which I think we would have done had Ace stayed. We would have not lost a regular season game if Ace had not bolted. Great Gamecock but I'll always have a small amount of bitterness towards Ace. I hope Quarles changes his mind and comes back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Ok, Dabo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
?

You sound like Dabo, trying to say all of these players need to come back instead of bolting for the NFL. Yeah, Ace may have improved his draft stock, a little. But he's doing just fine in the NFL, so why be bitter about it? And Quarles is in a very good position to be drafted in the first 2 rounds. Even our own headcoach tells the guys to go if their draft grades are good.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #83
palmettosc
Recruit

Male

palmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
Gosh it would be terrible to get another year of free school and free food and hopefully improve your draft stock and delay your dream by one year.

Most people in the NFL only last a few years. So what if he goes in for a few years and only makes $500,000 and has no degree? Do you really think he'll come back on his own dime and pay for that? I doubt it.

If he's projected to go early enough then yea go for it. But most are saying he won't go early so it's better for him to come back another year. That's all I'm saying.

And I'll fully support his decision and wish him the best either way. It's not my life so it doesn't really effect me. I wish the best for all of our players.

JD
So your premise involves not acknowledging the fact that his draft stock could plummet either through injury or poor play. You're also assuming that the player's won't pay to further their education.
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #84
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
You guys really think vic is going to go undrafted or be cut in 1-2years? 1year wont change his physical abilities, and even at the league minimum hell probably end up a millionaire.

As a strictly personal decision it is very hard to determine what the best course of action is monetarily. Leaving early, however, reduces risk.
Well at the lowest he'll get about $100,000 a year as a practice player. I would imagine most of them only last 3-5 years.

If he is on an active roster he'll make a little over $400,000 a year. Assuming he can make it 4 or 5 years he'll be set. But I think the average NFL career is only like 3 years.

So if you're on a practice roster only a few years, you'll have to get a job when you get done with the NFL. If you make an active roster at least 4 years, you can probably survive a long time without getting a job...assuming you save a lot and invest wisely.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #85
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
So your premise involves not acknowledging the fact that his draft stock could plummet either through injury or poor play. You're also assuming that the player's won't pay to further their education.
It could plummet or it could surge. There is no way to tell. But I would say the odds are much better that someone's stock goes up with a 4th year.

I never said they wouldn't pay for their education. Some will and some won't.

Everyone is different.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #86
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He's a good solid CB but I don't think there is anything spectacular about him. I doubt he can improve his draft stock much by staying. I think he will be a 5th or 6th rounder no matter this year or that, so whatever he wants to do.
Thank you for your expert opinion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he projects in the first three rounds. Not saying it will happen, but the projections are slanted higher because the NFL wants players to come out. It helps keep the NFL salaries down if there are a lot of players to pick from and you can make a player slide down.

That said, your projection of Vic's draft status is way, way too low. He is a complete DB and a leader. You don't find players like Vic growing on trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
Some people on here are very spiteful of our players choices. You don't know all the factors that could be going on for them. If they wish to leave early thank them for being gamecocks and good luck in the NFL. So many d@mn negative nancies voicing an opinion the players could care less about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of them, like the Dizzy person, are not really Gamecock fans. They are Clemson people on here that the moderators have not yet booted.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #87
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

An extra year would be based on one of two things. Either your in a position that is going to be a bumper crop of quality college players exiting for the NFL and a 5th year potentially removes some of that competition, or you think that 5th year can be used to improve your quality of play such that the pros will evaluate you higher. Its difficult for me to see where either one of those situations are fitting. If he is a 4th round pick this year, he will most likely be a 4th round pick next year.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #88
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ah...we don't need poor tacking CB's coming back. If we get a DJ Smith we will have an outstanding tackling CB. I, hate to be harsh, but he is NOT a Swearinger. DJ absolutely WON games for us... @ Tennesee, @ MSU. Vs. Arky, vs. NEB... Heck he showed up big vs. Bama. DJ. made a ton of huge plays. Tell me a play VH made like that? If he want's to come back and make life tough on some SEC WR, I 'll take it but he has to prove something, if thinks he is a big deal.
Against UT..a pick to close out the game. He's got talent. You can't compare him to Swearinger. Different position.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #89
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
I think he should evaluate well as a cover corner. And I think he will do well in the combine. Go get paid Vic.
NFL draft analyst said he thinks Legree will go before Hampton.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #90
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
FWIW: Practice Squad players make $95,000 per year.
And most of them had better figure out how to make that money last!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #91
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ah...we don't need poor tacking CB's coming back. If we get a DJ Smith we will have an outstanding tackling CB. I, hate to be harsh, but he is NOT a Swearinger. DJ absolutely WON games for us... @ Tennesee, @ MSU. Vs. Arky, vs. NEB... Heck he showed up big vs. Bama. DJ. made a ton of huge plays. Tell me a play VH made like that? If he want's to come back and make life tough on some SEC WR, I 'll take it but he has to prove something, if thinks he is a big deal.
DJ was a good player, but he missed his share of tackles and was out of position a lot trying to blow up receivers.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #92
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Thank you for your expert opinion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he projects in the first three rounds. Not saying it will happen, but the projections are slanted higher because the NFL wants players to come out. It helps keep the NFL salaries down if there are a lot of players to pick from and you can make a player slide down.

That said, your projection of Vic's draft status is way, way too low. He is a complete DB and a leader. You don't find players like Vic growing on trees.

A lot of them, like the Dizzy person, are not really Gamecock fans. They are Clemson people on here that the moderators have not yet booted.
I disagree. There is no doubt he could improve his stock but I doubt he comes back.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #93
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

Well don't forget taxes on a salary that high. Then you have to account for the cost of living in an NFL city. His odds are better if he stays another year if he isn't projected in round 1-2. There is no guaranteed money and his injury on the practice squad isn't going to help him anymore than his chance of injury at school.

It's really simple, how many guys are ALSO looking at "worse case scenerio I'll just get on someone's practice squad"? Not just this year, last year, next year and so on. This time next year he will without a doubt be a Round 1 or 2 guy, this year I just don't see it. Hell, his own fan base is even on the fence about his ceiling at the current level. I too want him to do well and cash in on his skills, but not enough to jump the gun and ruin his big payday.

Plus, how many of our guys go out with season ending injuries? Lattimore? The guy with two serious knee injuries that went in the 4th round?! Stop with the "potential injury" excuses already.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #94
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
NFL draft analyst said he thinks Legree will go before Hampton.
Combine could have a big effect. I think Vic runs a good 40. Not sure why I have that in my head other than that Im sure he has a quick first step.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #95
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
Combine could have a big effect. I think Vic runs a good 40. Not sure why I have that in my head other than that Im sure he has a quick first step.
When he runs sub 4.4 at the combine they will fall in love with him.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #96
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit

Good luck VIC!!! Had a tough go at it growing up...needed some direction but turned it around...Im proud of ya bro..go get it
Makindough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #97
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Well don't forget taxes on a salary that high. Then you have to account for the cost of living in an NFL city. His odds are better if he stays another year if he isn't projected in round 1-2. There is no guaranteed money and his injury on the practice squad isn't going to help him anymore than his chance of injury at school.

It's really simple, how many guys are ALSO looking at "worse case scenerio I'll just get on someone's practice squad"? Not just this year, last year, next year and so on. This time next year he will without a doubt be a Round 1 or 2 guy, this year I just don't see it. Hell, his own fan base is even on the fence about his ceiling at the current level. I too want him to do well and cash in on his skills, but not enough to jump the gun and ruin his big payday.

Plus, how many of our guys go out with season ending injuries? Lattimore? The guy with two serious knee injuries that went in the 4th round?! Stop with the "potential injury" excuses already.
Great example, Lattimore left early and went in the 4th round but you have no problem with this due to him already having had injuries but think Hampton should return and guys should stop with the "potential injury" excuses as if they are excuses, so stop with the "potential big payday" excuses then.....WOW?
Hampton has said he will test the waters through the draft evaluation and could return if not slotted to go in the top 2 rounds.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #98
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Stay Vic
Old 12-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #99
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Great example, Lattimore left early and went in the 4th round but you have no problem with this due to him already having had injuries but think Hampton should return and guys should stop with the "potential injury" excuses as if they are excuses, so stop with the "potential big payday" excuses then.....WOW?
Hampton has said he will test the waters through the draft evaluation and could return if not slotted to go in the top 2 rounds.
Actually, he said if he is projected in the first two rounds he would go for sure. He did not state what projection round would be too low. Maybe three, maybe four, maybe less. He did not say.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #100
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Actually, he said if he is projected in the first two rounds he would go for sure. He did not state what projection round would be too low. Maybe three, maybe four, maybe less. He did not say.

He will probably grade in the 3-5 round draft pick. I have no idea how that will make him feel but this is from some good NFL football folks.
And it sounds about right.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote