CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
spareparts
b381l
ertman420
usc1
robgusc76
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
Ole Miss Projected R (844)
2001 vs Sandstorm (831)
Tennessee hires Donn (774)
Acock reviews the SE (723)
So who was the dude (662)
Sunday college footb (637)
Does anyone have a l (355)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (336)
Florida Georgia Line (327)
Purple drank (253)
Dabo confused about who w
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
SEC Network "Take It
Does anyone have a link t
2001 vs Sandstorm
response from charter abo
Acock reviews the SEC Net
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2015 - D.J. Jones

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #641
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 Commitment - Abu Lamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Their class is massive, but missing on 3 or 4 of their top DL recruits has got to sting.
yea but they still got a heck of a class.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #642
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Signee - Abu Lamin

Quote:
DL Abu Lamin of Fort Scott JC, KS made his commitment to USC official Wednesday when he signed with the Gamecocks on the first day of the signing period junior college mid-year transfers. Lamin had committed to the Gamecocks last July but ended up taking official visits to Nebraska, Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee as well as USC. After wrapping up his visits in November, Lamin reaffirmed his commitment to USC. “No need to switch,” Lamin said in November. “They’ve been doing everything right. It’s the loyalty.” Lamin had 34 tackles with 7.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks this season. “I’m an inside pass rusher and that guy fighting in the trenches to hold my side down,” he said. Lamin is expected to give the Gamecocks some immediate help at defensive tackle with the departure of Kelcy Quarles for the NFL. Lamin is a native of Fayetteville, NC and will have three years to play three at USC. Also today, Lamin’s teammate, OL Kareem Are, who was also recruited by USC, signed with Florida State.
Link: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/20...igns-with-usc/

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #643
LuckyCharm
Clowney's huge sack

Male

LuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervousLuckyCharm is making other chickens nervous

and he'll be here in january!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #644
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 58943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
and he'll be here in january!
Yep, being an early-enroller with the opportunity to participate in spring camp, while also having 3 years of playing eligibility, is the best-case scenario one can possibly hope for out of a JUCO player....
Old 12-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #645
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

abu dabo dooo
Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #646
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

conwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
I agree that Surrat will be a starter. I do like how Deke rotates his DL. We have quality depth at the DT position and we should be able to rotate 4-5 guys in and out who could start anywhere. Lamin, Surrat, GDJR, Griffin, Dukes, Green, and Stallworth will be a force in the middle.
Exactly what have you seen out of Lamin, GDJR, Dukes, Green or Stallworth that would make you believe any of those guys could start anywhere? Other than the fact that they play for our team, there is no basis for that statement.....none. Green has been a nonfactor to this point, GDJR has played sparingly as has Dukes, Lamin & Stallworth have never lined up in an SEC game. Griffin will be a true Soph with a lot of potential. Surratt had a very solid, not spectacular, year. Guess that's why fan=fanatic, it's almost comical reading these type post. We have 1 guy that has proven he's an every down player in the SEC. The rest we have hope will pan out & 1 or 2 have shown flashes that they could be difference makers. That's it, right now.
BTW I certainly don't want to imply that any of our guys aren't or won't be good football players, but the notion that we have 4-5 guys that could start anywhere is way premature at best & likely not grounded in reality.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 12-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #647
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think our S&C program is far above what most transfers have seen as well. Before and after spring practice, he will have a chance to build explosiveness and strength while having some fun working and bonding with the most dedicated of the squad. His best development as a player likely starts in a couple of weeks, and he will have a head start on becoming a force and creating his future. I'm very glad for his decision to come aboard now.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #648
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Exactly what have you seen out of Lamin, GDJR, Dukes, Green or Stallworth that would make you believe any of those guys could start anywhere? Other than the fact that they play for our team, there is no basis for that statement.....none. Green has been a nonfactor to this point, GDJR has played sparingly as has Dukes, Lamin & Stallworth have never lined up in an SEC game. Griffin will be a true Soph with a lot of potential. Surratt had a very solid, not spectacular, year. Guess that's why fan=fanatic, it's almost comical reading these type post. We have 1 guy that has proven he's an every down player in the SEC. The rest we have hope will pan out & 1 or 2 have shown flashes that they could be difference makers. That's it, right now.
Dukes and Jr both played a good bit this year along with Surratt. I think those 3 did a pretty good job. Dukes has a chance to be real good moving forward. Griffin is talented no doubt but certainly is inexperienced. While these guys aren't on Quarles level at this point with more experience they should all get much better. I agree the others have something to prove but the cupboard is far from bare. A lot of Teams wished they had the depth USC has at DT.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #649
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
BTW I certainly don't want to imply that any of our guys aren't or won't be good football players, but the notion that we have 4-5 guys that could start anywhere is way premature at best & likely not grounded in reality.
Ok
Old 12-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #650
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

conwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudly

Nobody argued the cupboard was bare. Dukes had 14 total tackles, Dixon Jr 18, Griffin 12, Green 2. None had more than 7 unassisted. Do any of those stats give you any reason to believe we have 4-5 players who could start anywhere? If you believe it does, then we disagree & are miles apart. If not, then we agree because that is the one & only point I was making.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #651
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
I never said all of them would play, I was pointing out our depth. Way to look like an idiot. All of these guys (GDJR, Surrat, Dukes) have waited for their time, and played behind DTs who are in the NFL. All of them were highly recruited, have shown up when their number is called. If your going to point out their stats at least look at the number of plays they played in. GDJR, Dukes, and Surratt have all shown their ability, and they all have a chance to become great SEC D-tackles. I was simply pointing out our depth and the ability to rotate our DTs. I would be surprised to see Stallworth or Green make an impact next season.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #652
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

What? You said they would start. Do you even read your own post?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #653
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

Here you go boss, a C&P from your post

I agree that Surrat will be a starter. I do like how Deke rotates his DL. We have quality depth at the DT position and we should be able to rotate 4-5 guys in and out who could start anywhere. Lamin, Surrat, GDJR, Griffin, Dukes, Green, and Stallworth will be a force in the middle
.................................................. .................................................. ........

Now explain how you start without playing. Probably best in the future to read what you actually post before calling someone an idiot.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #654
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
What? You said they would start. Do you even read your own post?

I said I agree that Surrat would be a starter. I also said how I like the way Deke rotates his DL. I do believe that Surrat, GDJR, Griffin, and Dukes could start at most of the top FBS programs that run a 4 man front, what is wrong with that? With the way Lamin was recruited I would expect him to come in and compete at most high level FBS schools for a starting position. Our DL has always been the strongpoint of our defense, and these guys have been in our system and have continued to be developed at a high level. We have been reloading on the DL, not just filling holes. Quarles, Ingram, Robertson, Jerideau all had to wait for their time. We have great depth at the DT position and everyone waits for their time. Until our DL underperforms, I will always have high expectations for our DL.

Last edited by JDRAY^#; 12-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #655
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nobody argued the cupboard was bare. Dukes had 14 total tackles, Dixon Jr 18, Griffin 12, Green 2. None had more than 7 unassisted. Do any of those stats give you any reason to believe we have 4-5 players who could start anywhere? If you believe it does, then we disagree & are miles apart. If not, then we agree because that is the one & only point I was making.
Fair enough....but at this point nobody knows how each of them will continue to improve.
And JD's point maybe is that coming our of high school, each of them was rated highly enough to start at many D-1 schools. It's an insignificant point really.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #656
CHSgc
Recruit

Male

CHSgc is learning to peckCHSgc is learning to peck

Dukes was a 4* but I don't recall the Dixons or Surratt being highly rated coming out of hs.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #657
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
None of us have anyway to determine if these guys would start anywhere else but they would likely log snaps. I know what you are saying tho and agree they still have some proving to do.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #658
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

It is such a ridiculously high standard that it is unlikely any school in the country could make those type claims including Alabama. It's no slight on my alma meter. There's a hell of a lot of good football players out there. Try to tell, let's say, LSU people we have 5-6 DT's that could start for you & you'll likely get laughed at. With good reason. Truth is we may not have more than 1 who could make the two-deep depending on who they have returning. Anyway, enough with that BS.

I will bet good money, or anything else, right now that when the preseason ranking come out for the different units that USC will be no better than middle of the road on the DL & no better than middle of the road at DT specifically. We'll call middle of the road 7th overall in the SEC.

I'm hopeful we outperform that rating because I have great confidence in Whammy to get the best out of what he has available. I really believe he is a outstanding coach.

We are not that stacked on the DL, I wish we were but we're not imo. If we have 1 defensive player on the pre-season SEC 1st team I will be surprised, more than 1 would be shocking (assuming Hampton doesn't return).

Last edited by conwaycock2; 12-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #659
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSgc View Post
Dukes was a 4* but I don't recall the Dixons or Surratt being highly rated coming out of hs.
You are correct
Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #660
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

Griffin was a four star
Closed Thread