CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
ertman420
usc90grad
spareparts
MWard
Cunningham wants to (1291)
ESPN article on Clow (965)
Clemson Georgia Game (777)
Mangus now coaching (336)
Can Tennessee get to (255)
Chick Redefines the (218)
Truly Inspiring (195)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (176)
Spread vs. aTm (174)
New Led Zep releases (165)
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2015 - Davon Durant
2015 - Taj Griffin
Mangus now coaching TEs
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It
2 Crazy things
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Spread vs. aTm

Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #41
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Clowney not in Top 3 of McShay's First Mock Draft

I don't want him to be a dirty bird, if he really becomes one of them, **** the Falcons, go Panthers!
#7Clowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #42
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

The same Todd McShay that said Jevan Snead would have a long, successful career in the NFL. I do think the Falcons get him though I hate them. If they really want him, they should find ways to lose games instead of winning like they barely did against the Redskins this past weekend.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #43
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
The NFL is a quarterback driven league. It's no surprise he's not projected to go #1. A QB will turn a franchise around quicker than a DE will.
I don't understand how Teddy is rated over Bortles. I just don't see it.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #44
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I always said he would not go before four or five.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #45
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
He also said clowney is the number 1 prospect but the teams in front need a qb more.
Yes but it is still better to take Clowney first.....then use him to trade for a QB and another pick to a team that needs a DE.

Or trade the first pick to someone that wants a DE and you get their pick taking a QB plus an extra pick.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #46
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I'm probably in the minority on Manziel, but I don't think he has anywhere close to 1st round talent. A majority of his positive pass plays are scramble plays. He is not a pocket passer......RG3 is learning that the hard way. Johnny is not tall enough to consistently make a living throwing the ball from the pocket and he won't get away with all that running in the NFL like he did in college. I know some will say what about Brees or Wilson. Brees learned how to play the QB position in college from the pocket. Wilson threw from the pocket mostly at NCSt and Wisconsin. And I haven't talked about the character issues Johnny has that most teams try to stay away from with their QB.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24590296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Combine. Will be interesting to see how he performs there. If he performs up to his potential, everyone will fall back in love with talent. I can see teams trading up to grab him, and I can see teams trading down given the lack of QB's in this draft.

...and b, I'm not sold on Manziel either. He's a gamble. Could be the next Favre, but that's a difficult game to be gambling a first round pick on.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #48
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
No, the fact that teams with needs other than DE are picking in those spots have "hurt" him.
That is not my opinion. We can respectfully disgaree with each other tho.

USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #49
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I'm probably in the minority on Manziel, but I don't think he has anywhere close to 1st round talent. A majority of his positive pass plays are scramble plays. He is not a pocket passer......RG3 is learning that the hard way. Johnny is not tall enough to consistently make a living throwing the ball from the pocket and he won't get away with all that running in the NFL like he did in college. I know some will say what about Brees or Wilson. Brees learned how to play the QB position in college from the pocket. Wilson threw from the pocket mostly at NCSt and Wisconsin. And I haven't talked about the character issues Johnny has that most teams try to stay away from with their QB.

No, I am with you. Sport radio was talking about the benefits of Johnny Football and I was trying to avoid becoming physically ill.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #50
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

An awful lot depends on what happens in the next two weeks as far as draft position. If Atl Oak and Jax finish in the current draft position, I don't see the Jags passing up on the most sure fire draft pick in years, at a position of need that we have had for 10 years.

Teams do need QB's, but based on scouting, the 3rd or 4th best QB may be rated only slightly lower than the 1st or 2nd QB. I don't think teams are going to reach for a QB as much as they did in the past based on how those reach picks works. The same teams who reached before are back in the hunt again.

Even if the draft stays the way it is now (Hou, StL, Oak, Jags), Hou and Oak will take QB's and StL would likely take an OL. So that would leave Jax with the 3rd best QB or Clowney. Who would you take?

Last edited by CockTail; 12-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
CockTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #51
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

There is no position needed more by the Jags than QB. If they get to that position, I hope they trade back.

Now, if they take JC, I would be thrilled. But the QB position is a problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #52
wumarshall82
Bowl MVP

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

I think Manziel will slip. Wilson is built and has a rocket for an arm (scored high one the wonderlic). Manziel looks like a punter and its amazing how unelusive players become once getting in the League.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #53
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Just because a team needs a QB doesn't mean they're going to draft one, though, and a lot of the teams w/ top picks need A LOT of things. There are options in free agency, backups (Cousins, McCown) who will be pursued.

I just don't see 3 QBs (particularly in this class) going in the first 5 picks, regardless of how much value QBs have in current NFL.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #54
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Well, it is a QB driven league.

The other thought is that the QB position has a lower probability of keeping a guy long term. (Higher probability of a bust.) Getting a DE that has a better chance of sticking might be the way to go.

But, the draft is in May, and workouts, combines, etc will move those rankings around for the next 6 months.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #55
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
Clowney will go #1 to Houston and they will use the 33rd pick on either a QB (and will sign a veteran, maybe McCown) or will trade that pick for Cousins from Washington. JD and JJ Watt is sexy as hell, and none of those QBs have the potential of Clowney. Not sold on Teddy.

This.

I live in Houston and the consensus is there is no franchise, #1 type QB pick in this draft. There is no Andrew Luck. So taking a once every 10 year DE in Clowney is gaining momentum. And they will throw the kitchen sink at Watt to keep him. Those two would be a wreaking crew rushing the QB. The Texan's defense is not that good. They need a stout pass rush to take pressure off the secondary.

The Texan's will have to find another QB solution, whether through free agency, or take a chance on a second tier QB. With the A&M lunacy in Houston, maybe they trade into the latter part of the 1st round to grab Manziel. Keenum is not the answer.

Clowney to Houston with Bob McNair proudly adding another Gamecock to the Texan's roster - done.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #56
gcockwilliam
4-Star

Male

gcockwilliam has hatched from the shell

If he goes to Atlanta, he will doom his chances of ever winning a title. Atlanta's made it a bloodbath with the saints based on Atlanta's moves in recent years to try to outmatch them.
gcockwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #57
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
This.

I live in Houston and the consensus is there is no franchise, #1 type QB pick in this draft. There is no Andrew Luck. So taking a once every 10 year DE in Clowney is gaining momentum. And they will throw the kitchen sink at Watt to keep him. Those two would be a wreaking crew rushing the QB. The Texan's defense is not that good. They need a stout pass rush to take pressure off the secondary.

The Texan's will have to find another QB solution, whether through free agency, or take a chance on a second tier QB. With the A&M lunacy in Houston, maybe they trade into the latter part of the 1st round to grab Manziel. Keenum is not the answer.

Clowney to Houston with Bob McNair proudly adding another Gamecock to the Texan's roster - done.
Would be cool to have jungle Boi and doo doo on the same defense again.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #58
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Mocks in December are useless, but McShay is right that there are a bunch of teams without franchise quarterbacks currently in the Top 7

1-Houston
3-Tampa Bay
4-Cleveland
6-Jacksonville
7-Oakland

St. Louis has Washington's pick, but the Rams are committed to Bradford as their guy and they already have Robert Quinn and Chris Long on the outside, negating the need for Clowney.

Unless Tampa or Cleveland passes on the chance to get a young quarterback to build around, Clowney is probably ATL bound.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #59
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Serious Question:

If Clowney isn't drafted in the top 3, are any of you going to be pissed for some reason? (If yes, why?)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #60
airborne09
4-Star

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

I think Mcshay is an Idiot.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote