CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
usc1
Gyle41386
Ole Miss Projected R (590)
Sunday college footb (534)
So who was the dude (514)
Early Pre-Season wom (509)
Kentucky Inmate Star (506)
Acock reviews the SE (481)
Tennessee hires Donn (447)
Get the SEC Network (447)
2001 vs Sandstorm (394)
Does anyone have a l (265)
2001 vs Sandstorm
HTC One 2 (M8)
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
Name a Gamecock
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned

Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #201
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Commitment - Michael Scarnecchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
They totally missed on Aaron Rodgers coming out of HS. Likely 1/2 of the NFL QBs were not rated high...lots of hit and misses.
The pool of qbs that aren't highly rated is 50 times bigger than 4 and 5 star guys. So even is half of nfl qbs weren't big name high schoolers... you see where I'm going.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #202
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Yea I don't understand why people think this is the kid in the class that doesn't deserve an offer. I see D1 high level talent in his arm, and I don't even get paid to look for these things. The kid is a straight gunslinger who protects the ball.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #203
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Just put the ball where the DB's aren't and I will take that all day.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #204
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
He had a high completion % and based on the video, almost all those passes were medium to deep range. Give me a QB who can do that over a QB who dinks and dunks 5 to 10 yard passes or WR screens all day long, which give a false idea of accuracy because they are so much easier to complete.

As for velocity, who knows what it really is like? That is similar to those who still believe Shaw does not have velocity after all these years. He has a strong enough arm to fit the type of pass he was throwing at the moment. He has thrown several darts as fine as any pass I have ever seen. Remember Alshon's last catch at W-B against Clempson? The TD catch? Not the strongest arm I have ever seen, but not weak, either.

Scarnecchia has shown he has advanced passing skills because most of those passes were thrown only as hard as required. He has "touch". Being able to throw passes which lead open receivers to be able to run under it is a gift and makes them easier to complete. The so called frozen ropes to receivers, when not the only option to the QB is not wise because it gives so little room for error on his part and that of the receiver, especially if they are not stationary at the time. Sure they look great when they work, but how many long gainers or TD's have we missed with open receivers when "perfect" passes were not thrown? The kind Scarnecchia throws are ideal for those situations. Proper air under the ball, thrown several yards in front of your man (who has the defender behind him) allows him to run under the ball, at speed, and allow it to softly fall into his hands.

Those passes, in football, are almost a lost art because too many kids want to throw the sexier ropes. Funny thing is, they are easier to throw. Kind of like in basketball where kids just practice 3 pointers all day but can't hit midranger2 point shots and their overall games and team play concepts are much poorer than in past generations. Scarnecchia looks like a throwback player and that is a big complement.
The question will be can he make those same throws in college when his WRs aren't always open by 5+ yards like they are in most of the highlight video I watched. And can he make other throws into tight windows, not just deep go routes and posts.

But that's a question that every guy jumping from HS to high level college football has to answer. Definitely a solid prospect, although can't say I'd argue too heavily over his 3-star rating.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #205
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

no, his rating is appropriate. he is D1 talent, yet to be proven how much talent until he hits the field. I actually am excited about him. It's great to have depth at QB and RB like we do
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #206
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it's worth noting that a few years ago there was another 6-4 QB from the state of Florida with a similar recruiting site ranking to Scarnecchia's. That kid also fell through the recruiting cracks and had very few offers. His name was Blake Bortles.

Bortles is about to become a top 10 pick in the NFL draft.

I'm not saying Scarnecchia is another Bortles...but who knows? Obviously, the HBC likes his potential.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #207
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it's worth noting that a few years ago there was another 6-4 QB from the state of Florida with a similar recruiting site ranking to Scarnecchia's. That kid also fell through the recruiting cracks and had very few offers. His name was Blake Bortles.

Bortles is about to become a top 10 pick in the NFL draft.

I'm not saying Scarnecchia is another Bortles...but who knows? Obviously, the HBC likes his potential.
A good point.
You never know. A kid could come in with a chip on his shoulder. Or, he may not play in a system that emphasizes throwing the ball a lot. Could also be in a low division of HS football in his state, or in a weak region...that is what happens to a lot of guys.

Let's give the kid a shot...if he never amounts to more than a backup, he is still contributing to the team in some way.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #208
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

While thinking about Petrino in the other thead, it came to mind how close this guy is to a Ryan Mallett type QB. Maybe not the arm strength of him but sort of in the same mold.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #209
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

If you get caught too much up in Stars, one does forget about guys like 2Star Captain Munnerlyn, 2Star Ko Simpson, or 2Star Jamon Meredith, or 2Star Jerriel King, or 2Star Pat DiMarco, or 2 Star Justice Cunningham, or 2Star Rok Watkins, or 2Star Byron Jerideau...yes, these are all the 2 Star guys that were drafted in the NFL or are now playing in the NFL.

Thank goodness we don't snubb 2 Star guys now either, otherwise JT Surrat, Dylan Thompson, and Mason Zandi wouldn't be here.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #210
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Senior film.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #211
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
If you get caught too much up in Stars, one does forget about guys like 2Star Captain Munnerlyn, 2Star Ko Simpson, or 2Star Jamon Meredith, or 2Star Jerriel King, or 2Star Pat DiMarco, or 2 Star Justice Cunningham, or 2Star Rok Watkins, or 2Star Byron Jerideau...yes, these are all the 2 Star guys that were drafted in the NFL or are now playing in the NFL.

Thank goodness we don't snubb 2 Star guys now either, otherwise JT Surrat, Dylan Thompson, and Mason Zandi wouldn't be here.
Exactly.
I've said it before, and it sounds like a broken record.
Recruiting ain't about stars...stars are just a way the media guys can have something to talk about before signing day, and a way to put a "final score" on the recruiting cycle so there can be a winner and a loser.

You have to find guys that fit your system. It would make no sense for us to go after say, a No. 1 DT prospect in Georgia that is 6'4, 350 pounds, and a natural noseguard in a 3-4 if we run a 4-3 base.

Same as if you are a power run team, it makes no sense to get a little scat back.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #212
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Exactly.
I've said it before, and it sounds like a broken record.
Recruiting ain't about stars...stars are just a way the media guys can have something to talk about before signing day, and a way to put a "final score" on the recruiting cycle so there can be a winner and a loser.

You have to find guys that fit your system. It would make no sense for us to go after say, a No. 1 DT prospect in Georgia that is 6'4, 350 pounds, and a natural noseguard in a 3-4 if we run a 4-3 base.

Same as if you are a power run team, it makes no sense to get a little scat back.

This!

Star ratings may be accurate for the elite 30-50 High School athletes, but after that, it comes down to astute evaluating and seeing the developmental potential.

Anyone can walk through a huge car lot and pick out the Lamborghini's, Maserati's and Porsche's and say "wow these are nice sport's cars." Finding the value, potential and steals is where the real recruiting and coaching talent shines.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #213
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

That dudes arm is strong! Looks like he could bomb it 80 yards if he wanted.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #214
GeneralGamecock
Walk On

GeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his combGeneralGamecock is developing his comb

From watching his video, I am fine with his arm.

To me one of the reasons he may be a 3* is the fact that in all of the clips he only made one read. He looks at one receiver and if it is there he throws it. There was no attempt to look a defender off or anything like that.

I'm not saying that this means he is not a good pickup. That is something that can be taught. It just kind of shows that he is not as developed as a passer as what you would expect out of a 4* recruit or higher.

We will just have to wait and see what Spurrier and GA can do with him after they have had time to train him.
GeneralGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #215
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

The kid def looks the role. Moves around pretty good as well.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #216
HTCOCK
Recruit

HTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his comb

Obviously, they're highlights which can be deceptive, but I liked his ball handling, ie play action, pump faking. He also looks very comfortable w/rolling out, sprinting out, and moving away from pressure. Looks like a really good fit if we're sticking w/zone read, mobile qbs.

Respectfully submitted,
HTCock
HTCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #217
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

I'd like to see some full game cut ups with every throw.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #218
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
The question will be can he make those same throws in college when his WRs aren't always open by 5+ yards like they are in most of the highlight video I watched. And can he make other throws into tight windows, not just deep go routes and posts.

But that's a question that every guy jumping from HS to high level college football has to answer. Definitely a solid prospect, although can't say I'd argue too heavily over his 3-star rating.
I watched the tape and every pass was there in the receivers hands. I don't think it would matter if the DB was 5 yds or 5 ft. It was there....
Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #219
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the offense they run is similar to our scheme. If that's the case, then he should be able to learn the playbook relatively quickly, I think.

Connor Shaw ran the same offense in high school, and it worked out pretty well for him.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #220
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

At the very least, this guy has the tools to be a good one. A really good one. Good frame. Good arm. He has mobility. Good mechanics. He'll be solid.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote