CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1826)
Can Tennessee get to (1259)
ESPN Article on HBC (988)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (794)
2 Crazy things (759)
Spread vs. aTm (745)
Chick Redefines the (721)
Lindy's top 100 for (704)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (609)
The Bama series (503)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #121
wildwes
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
wildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurswildwes has earned his spurs
Default Re: 2013 Shrine Bowl Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Wow, reading this thread back just now was awesome. Thanks for those updates to all who posted any updates.

Sounds like we got ourselves some darn good receivers, eh? Deebo and Shaq with big TD catches, Joe Blue with some clutch running including a TD. LOVE LOVE LOVE this recruiting class guys. I'm interested to hear about how our Defensive commits looked. Also, I sure am glad we decided to go out of state for a QB this year. Other than comments on our defensive commits, I do have one question.

Why wasn't Grier selected for this game? He is committed to Florida, no? Surely he would be first or second best in the state. Is he injured or did he have a conflict? Or am I just going insane

*also, I'd like to hear about poona and wideman as well, if possible
All Gamecock commits in the game were on offense: WRs Deebo & Shaq, OLs Young & Stanley, TEs Crosby & Richie, FB Blue. Blue did play some at LB, but had some bulldozing runs at FB. Poona & Dexter looked great on DL picking up some sacks and contolling line of scrimmage.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #122
50ktight
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Blue is going to be a fullback at USC.
Unless we develop a special package for him this is unfortunately a waste of his talents. He could be a big time in short yardage situations, and could be a very productive edge rushing lb at the next level.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #123
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ktight View Post
Unless we develop a special package for him this is unfortunately a waste of his talents. He could be a big time in short yardage situations, and could be a very productive edge rushing lb at the next level.

I think Pat Dimarco proved that a FB can be a weapon here. Blue reminds me of one of those big FBs LSU/Bama runs people over with. A shorter JC Copeland (LSU), if you will.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #124
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Once we get back to more of the prototypical fun n gun offense you will see a lot more action from the fullback. In Spurrier's first couple of years I recall Lannard Stafford catching a good many balls coming out of the backfield.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #125
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 127561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul View Post
I think not offering Mason Rudolph is a mistake. Kid's a gamer.
Doesnt matter now. Think he is okie state bound
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #126
50ktight
4-Star

Male

50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I think Pat Dimarco proved that a FB can be a weapon here. Blue reminds me of one of those big FBs LSU/Bama runs people over with. A shorter JC Copeland (LSU), if you will.
Pat was really more of a TE/h-back hybrid, kind of how Kevin Crosby will be used. I'm not sure route running/catching are necessarily blues strengths.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #127
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit

Final stats?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #128
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Pat was really more of a TE/h-back hybrid, kind of how Kevin Crosby will be used. I'm not sure route running/catching are necessarily blues strengths.
Yea I don't think so either. I think bulldozer. 3 yards or less? Give it to ole blue.

Maybe he'll have a change of heart when he gets here and want to play LB, or maybe the coaches will ask him to move. He's the type of kid that you wanna see play both ways
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #129
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Final stats?
Tidbits:
MVPs - Mason Rudolph, Elijah Hood
- Rudolph was 15-22 for 182 yards and 2 TD's
- Hood had 21 carries for 93 yards and 3 TD's

Scoring plays:
Shaq Davidson (SC - SC commit) - rec TD - GW catch w/ 16 sec left (from Rudolph)
Deebo Samuel (SC - SC commit) - 21 yd rec TD (pass from Rudolph)
Joe Blue (SC - SC commit) - 3 yd TD run
Sheadon Meadors (SC) - 43 yd rec TD (pass from Park)

Freeman Jones (NC) - 22 yd FG
Elijah Hood (NC) - 6 yd TD run; 15 yd TD run; 5 yd TD run

SC wins 28-23. SC blocked an extra pt attempt. Exciting game from the sounds of it, as SC was down 23-21 when Shaq Davidson made the game winning diving catch to give SC the lead back with 16 seconds remaining
Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #130
cockyness11
4-Star

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

I do not see what the hype is about the QB Park.. I just rewatched the shrine bowl and he doesn't look all that impressive.. His footwork is very sloppy, he doesn't have a strong base with his hips when he throws the ball, and his release is very slow and uncoordinated... If I was nit picking; he doesn't cross fade with two hands on the ball while he drops back, he tends to drag his feet on his dropback instead of chopping and his(Once again) release point isn't at his highest point.. He tends to force the ball out using his arm as his base power, instead of pushing off with his back foot while swiveling his hips while keeping his shoulder alignment square all the way through his throwing motion.. He would be very accurate and save his arm by using your entire body as the power behind your throw.. He does have great vision of the field as well as reading where the pass rush is coming from and he goes through his progressions very well.. Spurrier would be on his ass from day one with him not keeping two hands on the ball and his mechanics.. He is very raw, but he does have some talent and you can't teach that..
Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #131
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyness11 View Post
I do not see what the hype is about the QB Park.. I just rewatched the shrine bowl and he doesn't look all that impressive.. His footwork is very sloppy, he doesn't have a strong base with his hips when he throws the ball, and his release is very slow and uncoordinated... If I was nit picking; he doesn't cross fade with two hands on the ball while he drops back, he tends to drag his feet on his dropback instead of chopping and his(Once again) release point isn't at his highest point.. He tends to force the ball out using his arm as his base power, instead of pushing off with his back foot while swiveling his hips while keeping his shoulder alignment square all the way through his throwing motion.. He would be very accurate and save his arm by using your entire body as the power behind your throw.. He does have great vision of the field as well as reading where the pass rush is coming from and he goes through his progressions very well.. Spurrier would be on his ass from day one with him not keeping two hands on the ball and his mechanics.. He is very raw, but he does have some talent and you can't teach that..
You beat me to it. How many people on here have been complaining because we didn't offer Park. Please watch the Shrine Bowl on ESPNU the next day or so. Some of you owe our coaches an apology. I know, it's only one game....but look at the tape and then tell me you want him on our team. He's got a long, long way to go.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #132
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4162125
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
You beat me to it. How many people on here have been complaining because we didn't offer Park. Please watch the Shrine Bowl on ESPNU the next day or so. Some of you owe our coaches an apology. I know, it's only one game....but look at the tape and then tell me you want him on our team. He's got a long, long way to go.
If anything, I'm upset we didn't offer Mason Rudolph after watching the game today.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #133
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftertwobowls View Post
If anything, I'm upset we didn't offer Mason Rudolph after watching the game today.
Were you at the game today.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #134
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Spurrier has shown he WANTS to use the I formation more often, especially at the goal line. The few times he has done it, however, it seems to go nowhere fast. Maybe this is the guy we need. In that case, this class brings in a short yardage, big hitting runner to compliment Derrell Scott who will likely commit and be our APB. Nice combo of guys for this class for sure.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #135
50ktight
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Spurrier has shown he WANTS to use the I formation more often, especially at the goal line. The few times he has done it, however, it seems to go nowhere fast. Maybe this is the guy we need. In that case, this class brings in a short yardage, big hitting runner to compliment Derrell Scott who will likely commit and be our APB. Nice combo of guys for this class for sure.
You're right he has definitely put an emphasis on the I, however the fb is primarily used as a blocker or pass catcher. Joe will make a bulldozer of a blocker, but so would garrison gist. I just think he had more to bring to the table than what we have historically used a fb for. Id love to see a few special plays or packages specifically for him
Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #136
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Enjoyed what little bit of the game I got to watch. I had to leave midway through the 3rd quarter and it looks like I missed a hell of an ending. There was no doubt that the team performed better when Rudolph was in. Park didn't get the greatest blocking when he was in, but he also looked like he wanted to run. I went to watch a kid from my school, Taylor Hearn, on the o-line. He is a Clemson committ, but I still wish him well. I'm excited to. Get some of these guys in the garnet and black.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #137
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

so why would you look at the tape of one game, and decide if you want him on your team or not?

I'm sure that somewhere in high school, that Clowney, Lattimore, and Gilmore all had a game where they looked very unimpressive. just an off night, or bad game.

had you only seen the tape of those games, would you not have wanted them?

all players have bad games, no matter who they are, or who they play for.

the cat won Mr. Football for a reason. that don't mean he was the best, but it means he was arguably the best, and won the argument.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #138
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
so why would you look at the tape of one game, and decide if you want him on your team or not?

I'm sure that somewhere in high school, that Clowney, Lattimore, and Gilmore all had a game where they looked very unimpressive. just an off night, or bad game.

had you only seen the tape of those games, would you not have wanted them?

all players have bad games, no matter who they are, or who they play for.

the cat won Mr. Football for a reason. that don't mean he was the best, but it means he was arguably the best, and won the argument.
His point is our coaches never offered Park, so they feel his issues go beyond one game. If one were already thinking this, this game would be a validation of that.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #139
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
His point is our coaches never offered Park, so they feel his issues go beyond one game. If one were already thinking this, this game would be a validation of that.

they never offered Mason either. he doesn't seem to have any real issues, so why not offer him? I'm just thinking out loud, but I got a feeling that they had all their attention on the UK commit (Barker?). after the guy committed to UK, the SC coaches didn't feel good enough about their chances with Park and Rudolph, to play catch up. Spurrier is to proud to go crawling to a kid, and play the "sorry we havn't been in touch" card.

didn't Spurrier say once, that he wasn't begging an 18 kid to come play football? I think he was at Florida then, but he let his mindset be known.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #140
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Park is clearly an elite athlete for the position and has an NFL-level ceiling. But from what (fairly little) I've seen of him in highlight videos and Shrine game, he's further away from that ceiling than you would think given his lofty ratings. Will be interesting to see how he develops at UGA.

ProFootballFocus.com
Closed Thread