CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
JerseyBird
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
gamecock88
Larenz Bryant update (1695)
Joeckel Transfering (965)
Victor Hampton Arres (831)
UK's Whitlow to tran (685)
2016 - Greg Little (672)
What type of snake i (509)
response from charte (492)
Wu Tang affiliated r (426)
13 Vintage Internet (256)
Attendance next seas (221)
Joeckel Transfering from
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
boiled peanuts
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Softball takes 2 of 3 at
Victor Hampton Arrested
Steak and eggs
2015 - Clelin Ferrell

Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #121
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. USC-Upstate GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
You're joking, right? No way we'd be a top 20 team with Marshall instead of Martin. It took him seven years at Winthrop to get a team capable of actually competing in the NCAA tournament and his 9th year there before winning in the tournament. It took him until his 4th year at Wichita State to get them to the level they are at now. Don't get me wrong, as a longtime Winthrop fan I wanted Marshall to be the coach here, but it would have taken him a few years with some hard work to get us to the point of competing in the conference and making NCAA tournaments.
So Marshall couldn't have taken Zam, Devin, et al and done more with them than Horn and continued the momentum to build us into a top 20 team in what would be his 5th season at USC?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #122
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
So Marshall couldn't have taken Zam, Devin, et al and done more with them than Horn and continued the momentum to build us into a top 20 team in what would be his 5th season at USC?
By his fifth season, yes, Marshall would likely have us competing and making NCAA tournaments. Probably a top 20-30 program. Give Martin those same 5 years and I think he can get us there too.

I thought your post was saying if we hired Marshall instead of Martin. Not Marshall instead of Horn.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #123
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

The only good news is that in basketball, it only takes a couple good players to really turn around a program. Hopefully Martin will be able to pull a few here. Until then, we will find out if he can really coach.

I will also say that Martin had a much higher profile coach (better coach) than I thought we could hire, based on our recent history. I don't see bailing on him this soon, there is no where to go beyond rock bottom and we have been there for several years.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #124
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Don't jump off a cliff.
Anyone who thought this team was going to light it up was a fool.
Sure, Kentucky and Duke and North Carolina play with a bunch of freshman...but their FROSH are an exception to the rule.

We have good pieces, but they are getting a crash course in D1 basketball. They will get better from this....is our schedule too tough? Maybe...but we could be like Clemson...get a bunch of easy wins then get our tails handed to us by average competition (Arkansas and Auburn ain't world beaters)...granted we are getting our tails handed to us anyway.

The point is...we aren't firing Martin...arguing over Greg Marshall is pointless because he ain't here and there is no way to know if he would do any better.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #125
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Exactly; Kane must not have been around for Fig Newton or Horn's last 3 seasons.
I was. What I mean is that this is the culmination of those seasons and lack of recruiting, etc. Martin is a better coach than Horn, but I'm not sure we presently have better players than we did (overall) than Horn. That's due in part to Horn destroying the program and leaving the cupboard bare, to be sure. But I was at the Manhattan game. The arena felt like a funeral home. And the style of play was so painful to watch that, yeah, this is as bad as it's ever been from a roster perspective. It may not be the WORST it's ever been, but this is on par w/ Horn's worst teams for sure.

We need shooters and offense. We need an offensive strategy besides "Johnson or Bruce dribbles the ball at mid-court for 20 seconds then scrambles and makes an errant pass or low-percentage shot". Give Thornwell the green light to do whatever he wants. Play Shaw more, etc.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #126
kabercr2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I tend to wonder if Martin and his looks and scolls don't have the guys wound so tight they do not perform like they are capable of.
This is what I'm begining to wonder myself. At first I liked Frank's intensity and thought it would really help our basketball team. Now I'm having second thoughts aboutthat as it seems it is backfiring. It looks as most of the guys are just scared to do anything on the court and playing so tight.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #127
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

After watching the highlights and looking at the box score, two things are apparent:

1. We need more quality size

2. Shaw needs more pt
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #128
jonick
4-Star

Male

jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by one90 View Post
One more thing. This season's uniforms are the ugliest a Gamecock basketball team has ever worn.
poetic justice...matches their play...
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #129
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
I was. What I mean is that this is the culmination of those seasons and lack of recruiting, etc. Martin is a better coach than Horn, but I'm not sure we presently have better players than we did (overall) than Horn. That's due in part to Horn destroying the program and leaving the cupboard bare, to be sure. But I was at the Manhattan game. The arena felt like a funeral home. And the style of play was so painful to watch that, yeah, this is as bad as it's ever been from a roster perspective. It may not be the WORST it's ever been, but this is on par w/ Horn's worst teams for sure.

We need shooters and offense. We need an offensive strategy besides "Johnson or Bruce dribbles the ball at mid-court for 20 seconds then scrambles and makes an errant pass or low-percentage shot". Give Thornwell the green light to do whatever he wants. Play Shaw more, etc.
I can't say that I disagree with you. The knowledge that Frank won big at Kansas State buys him a lot of time at Carolina in my book, though. We are only a month into his second season. If we don't see any progress by the conclusion of next season, then I will start to worry. Coaching changes will not help us improve.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #130
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

By the responses in this thread, you would swear that we were the SEC favorites and underachieved. Just a reminder: 12 of the 15 active players on the team are Freshmen and Sophomores. This is a young, young team that's going through a learning curve.

Give it time. Nobody short of legendary, hall of fame coaches like Coach K, Williams, Bill Self, Boeheim, etc. could turn the program around quicker. There are some good pieces here and once they mature, the program will be on its way up.

And I again suggest that if you want to see a better team, go to the games (especially students). I'm so sick and tired of hearing students whine about how bad the team is, and saying "we'll only go if they start winning." That's such fairweather bullshit. Pack the damn arena, give these kids a homecourt advantage to feed off of, and support the freaking team for once.

Attendance was 7,000 for the Upstate game. Colonial Life sits 18,000. You're seriously saying "forever to thee" but we can't fill up half of the damn arena? What a joke Columbia is these days. I feel bad for the players who go out there and bust their ass and can barely get a response.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #131
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
By the responses in this thread, you would swear that we were the SEC favorites and underachieved. Just a reminder: 12 of the 15 active players on the team are Freshmen and Sophomores. This is a young, young team that's going through a learning curve.

Give it time. Nobody short of legendary, hall of fame coaches like Coach K, Williams, Bill Self, Boeheim, etc. could turn the program around quicker. There are some good pieces here and once they mature, the program will be on its way up.

And I again suggest that if you want to see a better team, go to the games (especially students). I'm so sick and tired of hearing students whine about how bad the team is, and saying "we'll only go if they start winning." That's such fairweather bullshit. Pack the damn arena, give these kids a homecourt advantage to feed off of, and support the freaking team for once.

Attendance was 7,000 for the Upstate game. Colonial Life sits 18,000. You're seriously saying "forever to thee" but we can't fill up half of the damn arena? What a joke Columbia is these days. I feel bad for the players who go out there and bust their ass and can barely get a response.

That's just not realistic. Fans aren't going to pack a stadium (especially against non-conference foes) when we haven't been relevant in decades.

I think Martin will get it done, but it'll take time. Most of our starters still wouldn't start for any kind of tournament contending team. Getting Stroman next year is another piece of the puzzle and apparently the Blanton kid has the ability to fill it up. Saw where he had 30 points yesterday.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #132
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post

40 years of lousy basketball tends to make fans apathetic. I don't blame people staying home.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #133
Eug Cock
Walk On

Male

Eug Cock has hatched from the shell

I pretty disappointed too but we need to give the system some time to work.

I think we're still just tryin to get 'er into gear at this point.
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #134
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

This was no surprise. Upstate has some good, experienced players. Craig, Glenn, Greene and Fred Miller who sparked them. I had a class with Fred this past semester and he's a pretty cool dude. Not shocked at all Upstate won. We beat VA Tech and played Tennessee close in Knoxville and could have beaten them.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #135
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Yeah students are on break, families on vacation, the team sucks, and past teams haves sucked, 7k for USC upstate is actually pretty good. I will say this, had they beat Baylor, and Clemson the house would have been at 12k probably, winning cures all. It's hard to expect the fans to show up when the product is bad.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #136
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
That's just not realistic. Fans aren't going to pack a stadium (especially against non-conference foes) when we haven't been relevant in decades.

I think Martin will get it done, but it'll take time. Most of our starters still wouldn't start for any kind of tournament contending team. Getting Stroman next year is another piece of the puzzle and apparently the Blanton kid has the ability to fill it up. Saw where he had 30 points yesterday.
You're missing the point. If fans aren't going to pack the arena until the team is good again, they are fairweather and not helping the team.

I bet you if 14,000 filled Colonial Life each game, the Gamecocks chances of winning would increase significantly. Basketball is all about homecourt advantage. And when the only person in the student section is Gamecock Jesus, you have no chance.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote