CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
roosterdude21
acejrock
NJCocky14
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (7988)
Super-Efficient Ax (318)
South Carolina @ Aub (279)
BREAD (242)
Starz Black Sails (166)
Dress shirt help (161)
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: Victor Hampton might return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
I never said it did matter, did I?
Oh no, sorry if it came across like I was trying to accuse of you being upset with Vic for going early. I could've worded that a bit better. I think he will go in the late 3rd, personally.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #22
uscsandstorm85
Bowl MVP

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I wish he would stay.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

My opinion is if he is projected anywhere between rounds 1-3 he will leave. If he is round 4 he is going to be 50/50. Rounds 5-7 he stays. If he comes back we are potentially in great shape next year because we will have a legit #1 CB. I'd go out on a limb and say if Hampton comes back it is even bigger that we land Green because I think a Hampton-Green combo at CB has scary potential.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Our players usually go lower than they are projected.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

I have to say that some fans care way to much about who leaves and who stays. Not that it doesn't matter, because it obviously does. The guys leaving are for the most part, experienced players that excel at their respective positions. But bickering about why he shouldn't leave, or why YOU don't want him to leave, and downgrading him by saying that he isn't a top 2 round quality player - when he believe he is - is so stupid.

Vic Hampton is going to make the decision he feels is best for HIM. You, everyone else that is not Vic Hampton, do not know what is best for HIM. You may think you do. You have a very good judgment. You may even be looking out for him and his future. But you are not Vic Hampton, and you YOU will not make up HIS mind.

This decision is tough. Regardless of what he wants to be drafted when he get's his projected value back he's going to have to decide. While I have an opinion on the matter, I will not share it - because it's just opinion that can't be proven.

BUT, let's just say for ****s sake that he gets his forms back and is projected as a mid 3rd round draft pick. The sense on this board is that he is coming back, because obviously he can go higher than that. The problem with message boards is that no one but outcast like myself like to play devils advocate. I'll take your "he can do better" and raise you with "he can do worse". You know, what happens if he comes back next year and tears his ACL? What happens if he comes back next year and has a terrible season? What happens if he comes back next year and gets a DUI? Oh, then we allll would forget about how he turned down the NFL (good money in the 3rd round still) and came back. Nope. If he got seriously injured, people would just feel sorry for him. If he came back and had some terrible judgement decisions or just played bad this board would turn on him soooooo fast (ex: Gilmore in 2010).

Because, lets not pretend that our fanbase, especially on message boards, does nothing but praise it's athletes. While the majority of the time we do, when times are tough it gets ugly. I'm sure if Stephon Gilmore read the message boards in 2010 and even 2011 it made that decision to leave THAT MUCH EASIER. Now I'm not saying he did. But let them make their own decisions.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #26
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I have to say that some fans care way to much about who leaves and who stays. Not that it doesn't matter, because it obviously does. The guys leaving are for the most part, experienced players that excel at their respective positions. But bickering about why he shouldn't leave, or why YOU don't want him to leave, and downgrading him by saying that he isn't a top 2 round quality player - when he believe he is - is so stupid.

Vic Hampton is going to make the decision he feels is best for HIM. You, everyone else that is not Vic Hampton, do not know what is best for HIM. You may think you do. You have a very good judgment. You may even be looking out for him and his future. But you are not Vic Hampton, and you YOU will not make up HIS mind.

This decision is tough. Regardless of what he wants to be drafted when he get's his projected value back he's going to have to decide. While I have an opinion on the matter, I will not share it - because it's just opinion that can't be proven.

BUT, let's just say for ****s sake that he gets his forms back and is projected as a mid 3rd round draft pick. The sense on this board is that he is coming back, because obviously he can go higher than that. The problem with message boards is that no one but outcast like myself like to play devils advocate. I'll take your "he can do better" and raise you with "he can do worse". You know, what happens if he comes back next year and tears his ACL? What happens if he comes back next year and has a terrible season? What happens if he comes back next year and gets a DUI? Oh, then we allll would forget about how he turned down the NFL (good money in the 3rd round still) and came back. Nope. If he got seriously injured, people would just feel sorry for him. If he came back and had some terrible judgement decisions or just played bad this board would turn on him soooooo fast (ex: Gilmore in 2010).

Because, lets not pretend that our fanbase, especially on message boards, does nothing but praise it's athletes. While the majority of the time we do, when times are tough it gets ugly. I'm sure if Stephon Gilmore read the message boards in 2010 and even 2011 it made that decision to leave THAT MUCH EASIER. Now I'm not saying he did. But let them make their own decisions.
I see what your saying but I also take to heart what Vic Says.. if he doesn't feel his projection is good enough he will stay, and he has already said that. If he doesn't stay well good luck to him and he deserves a chance to play at the highest level. I just like the fact he loves us so much he is even considering staying at this point. If it was me, I would go. But I am not Vic, and he is not me, and therefor who knows what will happen. I wish him the best in whatever he decides. But if he does indeed decide to stay for one more year, he is in rare company around here. Very rare company.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #27
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

While he played some really good games, he had some bad film as well.....missed tackles, out of position, going for the interception instead of playing assignment football. Let's not forget, Whammy sat him for a good bit of a game. I think it boils down to the fact that he is inconsistent. If he gets a 3rd (not likely) or 4th (more likely) he'll leave. That gets him a decent paycheck and then a chance to show what he can do in camp. If I were him, I'd jump on the 4th round. If he gets a 5th, 6th, or 7th I think he comes back and plays lights out next year knowing what he needs to do.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #28
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Actually another year of college ball will raise up his value.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
that might be correct but its a year where he loses at least $500,000 regardless. a guy who has zilch will take that road most everytime.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocar View Post
Some sites reporting that Victor Hampton is considering his options, with regard to leaving early for the NFL. Anyone have any more up to date information on this?
Always assume they are leaving, you will usually be proven correct. If they stay, you get a pleasant surprise.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You got examples of why you would say this?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post

That is true for many players from all schools
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
that might be correct but its a year where he loses at least $500,000 regardless. a guy who has zilch will take that road most everytime.
He's got a scholly, what does he have to pay for right now?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
He's got a scholly, what does he have to pay for right now?
If you had a guaranteed 500k per year, maybe more starting next month or a chance at 1.5m per year, maybe more starting next YEAR, which would you choose. Keep in mind that your job is physically dangerous and if injured, you are likely looking at the 500k at best but you have lost a year of it.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #35
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Oh, forgot to mention, you have never made any money.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post

Signed Aaron Murray and Taj Boyd
Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Signed Aaron Murray and Taj Boyd

He could also get in trouble with the law, have a season ending injury, or play his way into a 7th rounder.

The NFL draft process is not all rainbows and butterflies.

Sent from iPhone, please excuse minor grammatical errors.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #38
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
If you had a guaranteed 500k per year, maybe more starting next month or a chance at 1.5m per year, maybe more starting next YEAR, which would you choose. Keep in mind that your job is physically dangerous and if injured, you are likely looking at the 500k at best but you have lost a year of it.
I would understand if you had some serious debt maybe, but there is a lot of room for hampton to improve his stock if he comes back.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Oh, forgot to mention, you have never made any money.
I live quite comfortably in "obama's" world
Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
I would understand if you had some serious debt maybe, but there is a lot of room for hampton to improve his stock if he comes back.
Has nothing to do with debt, it has to do with making money now versus the possibility of making it in the future. Most of these guys come from pretty poor backgrounds too, just saying it is a lot to ask of a person.