CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Lalli25
sporkgod50
i29gman
Spur's Addiction
Gyle41386
qcgamecock
F4rpoole
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1839)
The #AskEmmert Q& (596)
Stadium Ratings-Site (465)
Peach Bowl name retu (295)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (293)
Construction of Worl (293)
Save Electricity By (247)
HELP calculating acr (214)
NBA Wants to Up Age (162)
How Experienced In P (146)
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Jameis Winston's Accuser
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
2015 - Tommy Hatton
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
2015 - Davon Durant
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is

Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
vegasmark
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 210
vegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talons
Default Spurrier to Texas?

Absolutely moronic article, but I thought I'd share

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ersen/4165505/
Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 860000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier to Texas

No Chance
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmark View Post
Absolutely moronic article, but I thought I'd share

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ersen/4165505/

I don't think this article is as "moronic" as you think it is. All this article did was list names of the guys that Texas could possibly pursue, and then list guys that haven't been mentioned as possible candidates.

I mean, in the artile it even says
Quote:
1. Steve Spurrier: It's probably a long shot, but don't you at least have to ask? Spurrier is 68, which isn't ideal for this search, but he's a young 68 and doesn't seem like he's getting ready for retirement.
And all the article did was compliment a number of coaches, including Spurrier, and say why they'd be good/decent fits at Texas...

(I dream that one day people will read the full article before making a judgement post...when that day comes I will be so happy)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Nice thread title, nay.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
ATLCock81
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
ATLCock81 has hatched from the shell

heck NO!
ATLCock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous

I will revise my earlier Saban prediction.

Spurrier to Texas. Saban to South Carolina. Dabo to Alabama. Brad Scott to Clemson.

It's a done deal.
1801Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

he would be the last one on the list to say yes, but I bet he has daydreamed about it a little bit.

one thing is for sure. Texas needs to get it right, because they have the money and the talent. if the right guy shows up to coach, it could be instant success. just look at Auburn.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
he would be the last one on the list to say yes, but I bet he has daydreamed about it a little bit.

one thing is for sure. Texas needs to get it right, because they have the money and the talent. if the right guy shows up to coach, it could be instant success. just look at Auburn.
Spurrier is a SEC boy. He'd go to Alabama before he goes to Texas...
Old 12-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

On the points of the article...it was good. Spurrier is about ready to retire...so it won't be him... However some of the other coaches were good mentions...including dabo.

With Texas talent the dude would win...

I don't like him...but I am surprised that some bigger program hasn't tried to get him...seeing as Clemson is in the automatic cake conference.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Dabo to USC
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
On the points of the article...it was good. Spurrier is about ready to retire...so it won't be him... However some of the other coaches were good mentions...including dabo.

I don't like him...but I am surprised that some bigger program hasn't tried to get him...seeing as Clemson is in the automatic cake conference.
LOL you know how bad I got flamed for saying that about Dabo? People cant put down the garnet glasses to see that while the man isnt that great of a "coach" he's a heck of a salesman, and can recruit with the best of him. With texas money, he'll have no problem at all finding quality coaches.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
LOL you know how bad I got flamed for saying that about Dabo? People cant put down the garnet glasses to see that while the man isnt that great of a "coach" he's a heck of a salesman, and can recruit with the best of him. With texas money, he'll have no problem at all finding quality coaches.
So once again he would be a crappy HC?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly! I don't know why all of you hate Dabo, but I hate him because he's not a coach yet he is given all the success from the Clemson football program. He deserves very minimal success that comes from on-the-field. That all goes to Chad Morris and Brent Venables and other coaches!

Dabo can recruit. He could sell underwear to a nudist if he wanted too. He relates to the recruits. The recruits that he wants generally tend to like him too. Can you image what Dabo would do with an insane budget? Talk about great recruiting classes and a great coaching staff.

That's what people tend to forget. The head coach of your team isn't always that important. For example: Alabama. If Nick Saban were to leave they might take a slight hit in recruiting, and maybe a slight hit on the field. But do you guys honestly think that Kirby Smart/Doug Nussmeier wouldn't keep that ball rolling?

Steve Spurrier is more vital to South Carolina that Nick Saban is to Alabama or Dabo Sweeney is to Clemson. Heck, Spurrier might be one of the most vital coaches to any team in America. I'd have to look around but he might be.

My opinion is based on the success of a program based on what the other coaches on staff could do. Example: Saban is a defensive genius. Kirby Smart could replace him. He may not be as great of a coach, but he is damn good. Dabo Sweeney is a great recruiter. Chad Morris and Brent Venables would do fine recruiting without him. Especially Chad Morris. Steve Spurrier is an offensive genius. I'm not so sure I trust SOSjr. or Mangus, or Elliott to take control of the play calling if Spurrier were to leave.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Texas isn't having much trouble recruiting.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Texas isn't having much trouble recruiting.
Really? Because Texas has missed out on some big time recruits the last several years. Missed on two guys you might have heard of. Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel. They were pretty good college football players. They havent had a decent quarterback since Colt McCoy. You honestly dont think Dabo Swinney could have success in texas?
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Really? Because Texas has missed out on some big time recruits the last several years. Missed on two guys you might have heard of. Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel. They were pretty good college football players. They havent had a decent quarterback since Colt McCoy. You honestly dont think Dabo Swinney could have success in texas?
They recruited Manziel but didn't want him as a QB. As for Griffin, I'm not sure about that.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
Only if he got decent asst. coaches like he has now. He hasn't proven any ability to coach beyond hiring expensive assts.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 702
Todd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talonsTodd803 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Mack Brown told both as well as Jameis Winston that they would not play QB at Texas. All 3 would have gone there if they could have, or at least they have all 3 said something to that effect. They missed b/c the head coach evidently has not seen QB talent in the past 5 years even if it hit him in the face.

Article about Winstonhttp://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ecruiting-tale
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Nuke LaLoosh
UFC ON THE SIDELINE

Male

Nuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spursNuke LaLoosh has earned his spurs

The only place SOS is going is Augusta National.
Nuke LaLoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Only if he got decent asst. coaches like he has now. He hasn't proven any ability to coach beyond hiring expensive assts.

I don't think anyone was proclaiming that Dabo is a great "coach". But that was my point in post above: You don't have to be a great coach. You've just got to be the man in charge when your team wins on the field to get credit.

Texas isn't worried about money. They want to win, and win at all cost. If that means hiring glorified cheerleader that connects with young recruits, and lets his OC and DC run the show, then so be it.

I doubt Texas takes this route, but it's obviously not insane to think about.