CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1868)
Can Tennessee get to (1278)
ESPN Article on HBC (1028)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (830)
Spread vs. aTm (769)
2 Crazy things (766)
Lindy's top 100 for (727)
Chick Redefines the (725)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (621)
The Bama series (506)
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010

Old 12-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
sigma804
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
sigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervoussigma804 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Capital One Infographic #1

OK, so I forget everyone doesn't read Football Outsiders, Varsity Numbers, College Football Study Hall, etc. or understand/use infographics...

I use a slightly different measure for success rate. When Football Outsiders introduced it originally a successful play was one that gained 45% of the yardage for a first down, 60% on second and 100% on third or fourth. 45% always seemed weird to me so I use 40%.

The success rate part by comparison - Mike Davis is at 57% and Brandon Wilds at 59% compared to 63% for Melvin Gordon, 54% for James White and 71% for Corey Clement, though most of his attempts were late in the game with a significant lead.

A big play for a run is 12 or more yards. 13.5% of Mike Davis' carries were 12 or more yards, 10.3 for Brandon Wilds and 6.8 for Shon Carson. So Melvin Gordon's 19% shows how explosive he can be.

As for Joel Stave, the bad numbers were exactly my point - he's no threat to run the ball.37% success rate and only converting only 17% on third and fourth downs (compared to Connor Shaw's 62%) should mean we have one less threat to worry about. And those #s do not include sacks, just QB runs.
sigma804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

#79 is Ryan Groy

Here is Youtube video of him in 2012 against Michigan State

He is listed as left tackle but in the clip he lines up on both sides of the line and is usually good at turning his guy inside on pass plays or staying in front of the defender and moving him from the ball carrier on pass plays.

Now this is 2012 footage so I do not know how much better he is now or if he is dedicated to pass protection or run blocking, or whether the other lines are as agile as him.

He looks big and mobile but in the video, he is getting help to double team the DE pressuring the QBs blind side on the pass plays.

I would like to see this matchup with him and Clowney/English on Jan 1.

Of course who know who our guys are going to be line up against in Jan.

I will probably watch some 2013 Wisconsin games later today.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Nice idea...redirect the follow through.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma804 View Post
OK, so I forget everyone doesn't read Football Outsiders, Varsity Numbers, College Football Study Hall, etc. or understand/use infographics...

I use a slightly different measure for success rate. When Football Outsiders introduced it originally a successful play was one that gained 45% of the yardage for a first down, 60% on second and 100% on third or fourth. 45% always seemed weird to me so I use 40%.

The success rate part by comparison - Mike Davis is at 57% and Brandon Wilds at 59% compared to 63% for Melvin Gordon, 54% for James White and 71% for Corey Clement, though most of his attempts were late in the game with a significant lead.

A big play for a run is 12 or more yards. 13.5% of Mike Davis' carries were 12 or more yards, 10.3 for Brandon Wilds and 6.8 for Shon Carson. So Melvin Gordon's 19% shows how explosive he can be.

As for Joel Stave, the bad numbers were exactly my point - he's no threat to run the ball.37% success rate and only converting only 17% on third and fourth downs (compared to Connor Shaw's 62%) should mean we have one less threat to worry about. And those #s do not include sacks, just QB runs.
If all that explanation was needed, probably should've used different numbers
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

This is by far the most baffling infographic I've seen. Success rate is a stat I have never seen before once in my life, except on FG attempts haha. The one stat there that is useful is the zero fumbles. I hope our coaches makes our boys aware of that stat. It'd be such a shame if they lost that unblemished stat in the last game of the season
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
zbadger
Walk On

Male

zbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervouszbadger is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma804 View Post
71% for Corey Clement, though most of his attempts were late in the game with a significant lead.
I'm actually more impressed by this because when he runs, the other teams are fully expecting running so the box is completely stacked. Counterpoint is that all his runs have come against terrible defenses, but still a 71% success rate (lol what a weird stat for RBs) is very impressive when everyone is waiting for a run play.

Also, the Badgers have gotten lucky on RB fumbles. Clement fumbled in the first game and then fell on it and in prior to coming to Wisconsin he had terrible habits on holding onto the ball because no one ever coached him how, and Gordon has fumbled a few times but the ball has gone out of bounds or been picked up by other Badgers. White has very secure hands though, he isn't likely to fumble.
zbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
If all that explanation was needed, probably should've used different numbers

This. Wtf. This is like a poster made by a statistics professor who doesn't like sports. No one gives a damn about these numbers.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
This. Wtf. This is like a poster made by a statistics professor who doesn't like sports. No one gives a damn about these numbers.

I'm guessing the poster may be an undergrad graphic design major...so I don't want to discourage them, because I know the work and time those graphics can take....just needs to simplify it, and us more explainable numbers.

Info graphics are used to tell complicated stories in a simpler way (as well as add weight to numbers through representation)...yet this graphic made a cool idea too complicated.

Again to the OP...nice idea...from an aesthic perspective it is clean, the text wraps are pretty even around each cutout picture and the color scheme works with the teams (keep in mind red is a hard color to use in display, especially this particular saturation of red) but the information is just too complicated to the average football fan...and probably most advanced football fans.

I'd suggest : XX% followed by Melvin Gordon's stat for percent of times he gains positive yardage whenever he touches the ball

X-X: Joel Stave's record when throwing to XXX yards in a game.

I will say, the info about how many carries without a fumble was great.
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'm guessing the poster may be an undergrad graphic design major...so I don't want to discourage them, because I know the work and time those graphics can take....just needs to simplify it, and us more explainable numbers.
Stave must have stole the poster artist's girlfriend. He did not do him any favors with those stats.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #30
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

I thought it was pretty interesting
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Let's not badger the OP too much guys.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #32
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Double da fuq!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35-21 View Post
Its an efficiency metric. A play is considered successful if it gain (relative to gaining a first down/TD): 50 percent of necessary yardage on first down, 70 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down.

South Carolina has the 14th ranked offense in the country this year when you look at our success rate combined with our expected points per play.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff
That is a cool stat. Puts the Wisconsin poster into a new light. Thanks for the link.

It is interesting that the stats are just like the Gamecock coaches told us in the USCSports video releases--Wisconsin's O gets a lot of hype, but it is there Defense that is really good. According to the defensive statistics for negating offensive efficiency, Wisconsin is ranked 5th and South Carolina in the mid twenties. LINK.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #34
Rooster'srule
Recruit

Male

Rooster'srule has hatched from the shell

How is Stave's record 37 - 17? That is 54 games. If he played 4 years and 12 games a year that is only 48 games. Sumpthen ain't right here!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
BigAppleBucky
Walk On

Male

BigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spursBigAppleBucky has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
#79 is Ryan Groy

Here is Youtube video of him in 2012 against Michigan State

He is listed as left tackle but in the clip he lines up on both sides of the line and is usually good at turning his guy inside on pass plays or staying in front of the defender and moving him from the ball carrier on pass plays.

Now this is 2012 footage so I do not know how much better he is now or if he is dedicated to pass protection or run blocking, or whether the other lines are as agile as him.

He looks big and mobile but in the video, he is getting help to double team the DE pressuring the QBs blind side on the pass plays.

I would like to see this matchup with him and Clowney/English on Jan 1.

Of course who know who our guys are going to be line up against in Jan.

I will probably watch some 2013 Wisconsin games later today.
Note that Stave was hurt at about 4:45. He didn't come back until spring.

Notice also how stiff he is while throwing. It's hard to watch.

Michigan State had a good defense last year too.
BigAppleBucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

60% of the time it works 100% of the time.