CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
CoverTwo
ertman420
sc455
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Joeckel Transfering from
how has more ESPN anounce
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
Victor Hampton Arrested
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM

Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Panthers to Super Bowl XLVIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
Random question, but why does it seem like a huge portion of the Gamecock fan base is Panthers fans, and another portion is falcons fans? Where does the cut off occur? I realize it probably depends on location, Aiken or Fort Mill etc.

I'm a Buccaneer fan, but I was born in St. Petersburg, FL

I think it's more of an age thing, I actually know way more redskins fans that are native to sc than falcons, but I say ago bc honestly I don't know the nfl without the panthers bc I'm only 25, dad is from Wisconsin so I didn't have a local team he liked that we could pull for, he was a packer fan, so I went with panthers

Just an idea, but I would say age has a lot more to deal with that than location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
It pretty clear to see the difference in the team is the D not Cam. They didn't beat the Saints because of Cam but because the D kept them in it until the O finally got a TD drive against an average D. It doesn't make the panthers a bad team that they rely on the D but just be honest about what makes them good.
Obviously the D is carrying this team. Anyone that says otherwise is either blind or a Cam jock-sniffer. And that's what worries me about the playoffs. Our D can't do it all and the offense has to show up.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #43
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyfreshman2014 View Post
uh, yeah it does. This team was 2-14 in games within a TD in the 4th quarter since 2011 going into the 49ers game this year.

Since then Cam's had 4 game winning drives, which show the coming of age that you are complaining about. yes, the D is carrying this team for the most part in most games, but Cam has definitely helped things by becoming clutch late

Cam had to carry this team for the entirety of his rookie season, it's nice to see him not have to do that to win anymore
And here you agree with my point, the D is the difference not Cam, and you don't even realize it.

Tony Romo has a bunch of game winning drives, yet I am sure plenty of you Cam defenders would still say Romo is overrated. Cam has had some drives but he'd never get a chance to do that if the D hadn't kept them in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Obviously the D is carrying this team. Anyone that says otherwise is either blind or a Cam jock-sniffer. And that's what worries me about the playoffs. Our D can't do it all and the offense has to show up.
Yep. They have played well on O in a couple games but in the big games the D has definitely been playing well. I don't see the O being able to win them a game in the playoffs if the D gives up 35 points.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #44
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 26999500
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Quote:
Random question, but why does it seem like a huge portion of the Gamecock fan base is Panthers fans, and another portion is falcons fans? Where does the cut off occur? I realize it probably depends on location, Aiken or Fort Mill etc.

There are two major reasons.

1 The Panthers are a relatively new franchise. The next closest team geographically is Atlanta.
2 They didn't use to have as many games televised. South Carolina's Regional NFC game was almost always the Redskins. The AFC game was the Dolphins I think.

2a. A lot of transplants from Pennsylvania and a whole bunch of Cowboy ("America's Team") fans to explain the Steeler and Cowboy fans. Although you'll find a lot of people who are Steeler fans even though they aren't from there and they get all upset if you ask why.
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #45
acejrock
Rockington

Male

acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material

Quote:
And here you agree with my point, the D is the difference not Cam, and you don't even realize it.

Tony Romo has a bunch of game winning drives, yet I am sure plenty of you Cam defenders would still say Romo is overrated. Cam has had some drives but he'd never get a chance to do that if the D hadn't kept them in the game.

Yep. They have played well on O in a couple games but in the big games the D has definitely been playing well. I don't see the O being able to win them a game in the playoffs if the D gives up 35 points.
Is there a team that has both a potent offense and a good D this year?

Denver = Good O bad D even worse now that Miller is hurt.
Seahawks = Good D Ave O
Cheifs = What happened to them?
Colts = Without their best wideout the O is ave and the D is ave
Patriots = Ave O without Gronk bad D
9ers = Good D bad O. O is getting better with health but they didn't look good against ATL
Eagles = Good O bad bad bad D
Bengals = like the Saints if they aren't home they are terrible
Saints = like the Bengals if they aren't home they are terrible

My biggest question is how would the Panther's D match up against Denver.
Also would love to somehow get home field cause I am not looking forward to playing in Seattle.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
GoldenSpur7
Veritas vincit ...

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgamecock1981 View Post
Of course they have a chance. A few points:

1. The Seahawks aren't unbeatable at home (see just this past week).
2. The Panthers played them well once already
3. The Panthers have beaten the other 2 legit threats in the NFC (Saints & 49ers)
4. Cam doesn't need better stats to play better than he did last year (i.e. he's more efficient, goes through progressions better, stays in the pocket instead of immediately running, and makes better decisions). You can attribute the decline in stats to a couple things: Chud leaving, Shula calling a more run orientated game, the aging and decline of Steve Smith, and the overall mediocrity of the WR corps behind Smith.
5. Rivera has been a really good coach since the NYG game when he "discovered" analytics. People tagged with the Riverboat Ron label, but he's just been more aggressive and playing the percentages.
6. The defense will keep them in any game they play and is built for playoff success.
Bold: well done, sir. His QB rating has gone up this year, too.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #47
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
Is there a team that has both a potent offense and a good D this year?

Denver = Good O bad D even worse now that Miller is hurt.
Seahawks = Good D Ave O
Cheifs = What happened to them?
Colts = Without their best wideout the O is ave and the D is ave
Patriots = Ave O without Gronk bad D
9ers = Good D bad O. O is getting better with health but they didn't look good against ATL
Eagles = Good O bad bad bad D
Bengals = like the Saints if they aren't home they are terrible
Saints = like the Bengals if they aren't home they are terrible

My biggest question is how would the Panther's D match up against Denver.
Also would love to somehow get home field cause I am not looking forward to playing in Seattle.
There definitely aren't a lot of complete teams this year. I think home field advantage will be the biggest influence on who wins in the playoffs.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

Panthers were founded in 1995 so they're fairly new for a nfl franchise. Before then the two closest nfl teams were Atlanta and Washington. So I guess it's more of the older fans who prefer falcons or skins.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #49
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Panthers were founded in 1995 so they're fairly new for a nfl franchise. Before then the two closest nfl teams were Atlanta and Washington. So I guess it's more of the older fans who prefer falcons or skins.
Tampa, FL is about 450 miles from Aiken SC
Washington, DC is about 530 miles from Aiken SC

I am a Cowboys fan. I grew up in the Falcon market and now live in the DC market.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #50
acejrock
Rockington

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCox View Post
Tampa, FL is about 450 miles from Aiken SC
Washington, DC is about 530 miles from Aiken SC

I am a Cowboys fan. I grew up in the Falcon market and now live in the DC market.
The Redskins part is not about geographics. It is about what they showed on TV. They didn't televise every game like they do now. SC region almost always showed Redskins games.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #51
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I would say they definitely have a chance but I am gonna say no. The offense has got to sustain drives. I am not sold on Cam Newton.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #52
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm a Panthers fan because I was like 6 or 7 when the franchise started and that is when I really started getting into sports. I'm also from Greenville, SC, but never did cheer for the Falcons.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #53
GRgamecock
Walk On

Male

GRgamecock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
They had what 110 yards in the second half at home. I'm sure everyone is trembling in their cleats thinking about the panthers. One drive does not make a playoff run. I'm not saying they won't go because stranger things have happened. The Giants winning a few years ago for example, but them scoring one TD in the second half on a play that the Saints DE had an open shot at Newton and whiffed doesn't scream playoff run.
do you understand nfl football?? teams are much closer in talent and there isnt much room for error the fact that they where able to put something together when it mattered most and cam newton stepped up with huge presser in his face to make two great throws says alot about the fight in this team offense wins games and defense wins championships this is nothing new. its as simple as that the panthers are built for the playoffs.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #54
cockyfreshman2014
now a junior

Male

cockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot material

Quote:
lol you are a waste of time to argue with. I clearly stated the D was the major difference this season but said that Cam's play late in games has definitely helped as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyfreshman2014 View Post
yes, the D is carrying this team for the most part in most games, but Cam has definitely helped things by becoming clutch late

keep up here
cockyfreshman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #55
cockyfreshman2014
now a junior

Male

cockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
It's always funny to me when fans of teams list all their "good" wins and then list their close losses. Yeah the Panthers played the Seahawks close. They also beat the Niners by one, ONE, point. I guess we'll just gloss over that.
It's always funny to me when people try to say the Panthers still aren't good when they're 11-4 and have a great shot at either the #1 or #2 seed in the NFC. the record speaks for itself.
cockyfreshman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #56
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

I'm a Detroit fan (as bad as that sucks), but I want to see the Panthers make it.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #57
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
It's always funny to me when fans of teams list all their "good" wins and then list their close losses. Yeah the Panthers played the Seahawks close. They also beat the Niners by one, ONE, point. I guess we'll just gloss over that.

the 49ers who beat the Seahawks. can we gloss over that, while we are glossing?
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #58
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Seattle is not invincible, and teams that peak too early are always suspect

i.e. KC

Carolina is peaking at the right time
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #59
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Jfyi

Im a dolphins fan. Family lived in Jacksonville in the 70s. When miami was the best team in the NFL for a few years. Originally fron SC. Moves to Jacksonville, back to sc. And in my 20s too.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #60
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
And? Panthers still won. I don't care if its by 1 or 100, a win is a win damnit.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote