CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
markp_vip
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
snruter amabon
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
4gamecockfb
Lalli25
Thenardier
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (690)
Hope Springs Eternal (628)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
Byron the bunny...fe (439)
The #AskEmmert Q& (361)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
How to cut the musta (313)
Shameless self promo (239)
One thing I was glad (120)
Peach Bowl name retu (26)
2015 - Rashard Causey
Season Rankings Thread...
Victor Hampton Arrested
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #1681
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
What does class ranking really matter? Would you rather have a class that is top 8 and underperforms or a class that is in the mid teens and performs well?
I'd rather have BOTH! Why do you care what matters to me anyway?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #1682
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 Recruiting Impressions

Well, looks like our coaches pretty much nailed it when it came to recruiting for the offense this year in state, especially at WR which is arguably our biggest need on offense.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #1683
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
What does class ranking really matter? Would you rather have a class that is top 8 and underperforms or a class that is in the mid teens and performs well?
Before anyone gets disappointed when all the recruits are counted and signed and USC doesn't crack well into the top ten, don't get upset. Even if (hypothetically) USC gets 5 more four stars, and a five star(Prince), other schools(like LSU) that are ahead of USC are expecting some highly rated recruits to commit. People here tend to forget other schools are not finished either. All the cards have to fall in place, including maybe bumps to four stars for a couple of commits to absolutely ensure a top ten finish. Right now, I don't think USC gets that five star recruit, although it is not out of the question. I think USC will finish in the top fifteen if they get most of who they are after from here on out. The most important thing is addressing the needs rather than ratings for this class. However, I am concerned about the dependence on academically borderline recruits who will count against the class if they sign an LOI, but still don't qualify.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #1684
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
Before anyone gets disappointed when all the recruits are counted and signed and USC doesn't crack well into the top ten, don't get upset. Even if (hypothetically) USC gets 5 more four stars, and a five star(Prince), other schools(like LSU) that are ahead of USC are expecting some highly rated recruits to commit. People here tend to forget other schools are not finished either. All the cards have to fall in place, including maybe bumps to four stars for a couple of commits to absolutely ensure a top ten finish. Right now, I don't think USC gets that five star recruit, although it is not out of the question. I think USC will finish in the top fifteen if they get most of who they are after from here on out. The most important thing is addressing the needs rather than ratings for this class. However, I am concerned about the dependence on academically borderline recruits who will count against the class if they sign an LOI, but still don't qualify.
If people have been paying attention all season, a top 15 class with the amount of players we can bring in (even though that has gone up in recent weeks, its still not even a full class of 25 b/c of the probation and others can take AT LEAST that many, some more) should be having people extremely excited. A true look at the class and what it brings should lead to no one pouting. That being said, someone probably still will.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #1685
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

its a great class already that will only get better, considering we hold on to everyone we have committed now
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1686
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly
Default Re: Why are we so bad in recruiting rankings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I agree, the QB is the only head scratcher.

I totally agree that Thomas couldn't be a 3 star, he was a Post Season 1st Team JUCO All American. The rated above him on the sites are 4 stars, he should obviously be the #1 at his position.

Blue's 3 Star is about right, he's a really good player. That's what happens in recruiting though to people who commit early. There's less hype.

The other guys you named I haven't seen enough of to say if they should be 3 or not.

If we get about 5 more four star guys, we'll end up with a top 15 class. If we can somehow swing Prince and both Green/Smith, we could break into the Top 10.
Like you and others here, I'm loving the way this class is shaping up. But I'm not scratching my head about offering Scarnecchia at QB after watching his highlight reel. I am scratching my head that more coaches didn't see what Spurrier saw on tape. I'm not boldly predicting he's a future starter here, but I don't think it's inconceivable. The kid is 6-4 with serious arm talent, terrific stats (28 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions as a senior), smarts, and plenty of upside. He's a 3-star now with Rivals, no longer a 2-star sleeper. The dude is legit, in my opinion.

Last edited by Kazak; 12-26-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #1687
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

A few things about this year's recruiting have struck me.

We have 45 freshmen and RS freshmen out of 82 scholarship players. We've been able to redshirt some quality players. We have a scholarship crunch with a small senior group. Our coaches have targeted high needs and high quality prospects without chasing stars. Some of the players sought will be upgrades, and a few difficult decisions for players and coaches are likely to develop.

A number of our "marginal and "project" players have blossomed through dedication, a heckuva S&C program, and hard work (Think Thompson, Justice Cunningham, C Stadnick, Patrick, Shaw, and others). Even Swearinger developed from a talented player to a terror while recovering from an injury. Our coaches have seen the light come on for a number of players and know that a player's worth often doesn't show up until 3-4 years into the program. They can afford to recruit good potential and character when "blue chip" isn't available or doesn't want to compete with the quality we've got.

We're getting looks from more highly-sought players. Our team's recent results and national recognition and the numbers of our guys getting into the NFL show development and the exposure a lot of top prospects want.

I want us to finish strong, but don't care about class rating. Filling needs and getting some hungry talent in the program seem more a priority to our coaches than stars. I concur.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #1688
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why are we so bad in recruiting rankings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Like you and others here, I'm loving the way this class is shaping up. But I'm not scratching my head about offering Scarnecchia at QB after watching his highlight reel. I am scratching my head that more coaches didn't see what Spurrier saw on tape. I'm not boldly predicting he's a future starter here, but I don't think it's inconceivable. The kid is 6-4 with serious arm talent, terrific stats (28 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions as a senior), smarts, and plenty of upside. He's a 3-star now with Rivals, no longer a 2-star sleeper. The dude is legit, in my opinion.
I concur.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #1689
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
A few things about this year's recruiting have struck me.

We have 45 freshmen and RS freshmen out of 82 scholarship players. We've been able to redshirt some quality players. We have a scholarship crunch with a small senior group. Our coaches have targeted high needs and high quality prospects without chasing stars. Some of the players sought will be upgrades, and a few difficult decisions for players and coaches are likely to develop.

A number of our "marginal and "project" players have blossomed through dedication, a heckuva S&C program, and hard work (Think Thompson, Justice Cunningham, C Stadnick, Patrick, Shaw, and others). Even Swearinger developed from a talented player to a terror while recovering from an injury. Our coaches have seen the light come on for a number of players and know that a player's worth often doesn't show up until 3-4 years into the program. They can afford to recruit good potential and character when "blue chip" isn't available or doesn't want to compete with the quality we've got.

We're getting looks from more highly-sought players. Our team's recent results and national recognition and the numbers of our guys getting into the NFL show development and the exposure a lot of top prospects want.

I want us to finish strong, but don't care about class rating. Filling needs and getting some hungry talent in the program seem more a priority to our coaches than stars. I concur.
Good perspective. Consider this as well, quarterbacks are usually woo'ed for a good while in high school and generally have a narrowed list of where they want to go by their senior year. You can say the staff whiffed on Barker if you wish, they went after a guy and it didn't work out so...ok. The reasons I feel are valid, hometown team he always wanted to play for finally paid him attention and his family are all UK fans, so they led him in that direction. Tough for anyone to overcome that, and we instantly began looking at other QB's to take in. For awhile I thought the kid with the cannon for an arm whose name I cannot remember at this moment would be the guy, but he came and threw for the coaches with no offer. Then Baldwin got into the mix. None of these guys were serious leans to other big programs at the time. I think Scarnecchia has the ability to be better than either of those guys with good size and arm strength to match. He also had a better high school career, not that it means that much in the long run.

Point being, he's a good prospect and perfect for this class as we don't have to play him soon.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1690
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Here is the top 15 players in the state of SC as ranked by TBS:

1. Miller
2. Park (I still don't get this)
3. Davidson
4. Stanley
5. Wideman
6. Crosby
7. Ford (Poona)
8. Smith (Cannon)
9. Rudolph
10. Oglesby
11. Kelleher
12. Smalls
13. Fair
14. Bone
15. Ritchie
21. Samuel (Deebo)
23. Blue
26. Young (Malik)

Georgia (Carolina commit and highly regarded targets)
7. Smith (DJ)
8. Sawyer
11. Green

I thought many of you would like to see this. I found it very interesting. I'll go look up NC and Florida in a few minutes and post what I find.

Looks like we have some very highly rated players on this list.

Last edited by b381l; 12-27-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #1691
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

North Carolina
5. Scott

Forida
2. Lammons

These are the only ones in the top 50 from either state.....none from Virginia.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1692
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
North Carolina
5. Scott

Forida
2. Lammons

I've heard that Lammons tried to commit to us at one point but we didn't accept the commitment, is that true? I know the situation was different at the time, but man that still hurts to think about if true.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #1693
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Didn't realize Christian Miller had such a monster year...188 tackles and 24 sacks
Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #1694
carolinamyke
Recruit

Male

carolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervouscarolinamyke is making other chickens nervous

m I wrong or not many taters on that list
Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #1695
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
I've heard that Lammons tried to commit to us at one point but we didn't accept the commitment, is that true? I know the situation was different at the time, but man that still hurts to think about if true.
Yes. Happened at our Showcase camp (I think) this summer. At that time the class was going to be a max of 15 and we had Green (we thought), Smalls and probably Harris with a shot at Smith and we were only going to take 3 total, so it just wasn't likely that there was going to be room for Lammons.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #1696
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
North Carolina
5. Scott

Forida
2. Lammons

This is wrong....Lammons isn't #2, he is #28, but he is the top rated CB in Florida.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #1697
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Yes. Happened at our Showcase camp (I think) this summer. At that time the class was going to be a max of 15 and we had Green (we thought), Smalls and probably Harris with a shot at Smith and we were only going to take 3 total, so it just wasn't likely that there was going to be room for Lammons.
Actually, it was the day before the Showcase. He attended FNLs the day Black Magic was held. He was with Quincy Wilson who also eventually committed to UF.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #1698
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Lammons in the to CB in FL? Holy crap
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #1699
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

If I am counting correctly we have 6.. 4 Stars as of the present...not that I put a lot of stock in the star thing it just gives me an idea of the kind of kids we are getting now....I really like the way we are gathering linemen...That is how it is done in the SEC..
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #1700
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

I am very envious of the position South Carolina is in right now.

Stability
Development
Balanced Roster
Players fitting into roles on a TEAM and excelling

Those are the four descriptions that are the exact opposite of what has happened at Tennessee the past 6-8 years.

Hope Butch can get some of that back.
Closed Thread