CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Order 66
Cock Kool-Aid
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4297)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2431)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (883)
US Air nsfw tweet (717)
I like how Frank sou (642)
boiled peanuts (491)
Ahh...The Masters (484)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (444)
Tax day freebies (441)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
uga dawg
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly
Default thoughts on Jim Schwartz

what do you guys think of the guy? for those who don't follow the NFL closely, he is the head coach for the Detroit Lions.

he inherited an 0-16 team in 2009, the teams record under him since that time is 29-50. however, the record the last three seasons is 21-26.

the guy has the talent to work with. some of his players include Matthew Stafford, Calvin (Megatron) Johnson, Reggie Bush, Nick Fairley, and Devin Taylor.

they have lost 5 of their last 6 games, and most of them have been after having a fair sized lead. they also have only been losing games by just a few points.

do you think the guy has been a major improvment for them, and just needs more time to build, since he is trending in the right direction over the last few years. also, since some of these loses are the result of only one or two plays?

do you think that he has enough talent there now, and should at least be making the playoffs, as well as winning these games after having such good leads.

I mean the Giants came back and beat them!

if you were the Fords, and owned the team, what would you do?
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material
Default Re: thoughts on Jim Schwartz

How long has he got left on his contract ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
How long has he got left on his contract ?
got 2 years left for a total of $12 million dollars. the Fords can buy him out and never blink an eye, if they want to.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

He's taken them as far as he's going to. Way too much talent on this team to be collapsing like they do.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
He's taken them as far as he's going to. Way too much talent on this team to be collapsing like they do.
You're probably right Mule ! But I think I'd let him coach out his contract. He has had a tough row to hoe, and has forged some improvement, but as the OP stated, he's toting a losing skid that shouldn't be.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I think their problem is what Reggie Bush said. They just aren't playing the game with discipline. Too many of the guys on that team are "me" guys and not "team" guys. If Schwartz survives the current hot seat, he's likely going to have to encourage general mgt to shake the roster up, just a little bit, with a few high profile off season personnel moves to maybe tighten everyone else's butts up.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Not that good.. Has an abundance of talent, and they can't win a big game to save their lives...
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
This^ part of their improvement was Schwartz, but a lot of it was changes in the front office... I don't see Schwartz doing much more with that team (Since he is relatively young, I think he still has a future as an effective head coach, since he has definitely mad a net positive impact on their franchise)
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Oh Detroit.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
uga dawg
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
I think their problem is what Reggie Bush said. They just aren't playing the game with discipline. Too many of the guys on that team are "me" guys and not "team" guys. If Schwartz survives the current hot seat, he's likely going to have to encourage general mgt to shake the roster up, just a little bit, with a few high profile off season personnel moves to maybe tighten everyone else's butts up.

if they keep playing the way they have been, they will be getting to pick some more high profile guys, and pick them early, LOL!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
uga dawg
Banned

Male

say you were gonna can him. who would you go after as a replacement?

I'm sure he would say no, but Gruden would have to be asked. he is very high on them despite their troubles. after he said no, where would you look?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
exactly, factor that into the fact that his team has lead the league in penalties almost every year he has been there (pretty sure this is accurate) and that shows he lacks discipline in his players

now if you going 12-4 every year, no one would care about penalties....but they arent and have way too much talent to be where they are now
Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post

I'm sure he would say no, but Gruden would have to be asked. he is very high on them despite their troubles. after he said no, where would you look?
i know im in the minority here but i dont understand why he is the hottest coaching candidate that always gets mentioned, i dont think he is all that he is made up to be personally

but if i were the lions i would hire Bill O'Brien or David Shaw in a heart beat....if not one of them, i would prb go the route that the phins or bears went in hiring an off path guy that maybe everyone didnt see getting the job, i think both those coaches have done a great job so far
Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

he's not a good coach, i would not extend his contract once it expires
Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

They need aqb that doesn't mske wtf reads. Sure, Stafford makes some good reads, but then he throws and you are wondering wtf was that?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Lovie Smith would be a terrific fit. That being said id give Jim one more crack at it. This was their one chance to get the NFC north title and they couldnt do it. Good luck the next few years with Rodgers and a young talented Bears team.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:

Bill Cowher

Herm Edwards

Jon Gruden

Jay Gruden

Lovie Smith

David Shaw

Lane Kiffin I wanted to see whose paying attention. Carry on.

Tony Dungy

Pete Carmichael
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
uga dawg
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Bill Cowher

Herm Edwards

Jon Gruden

Jay Gruden

Lovie Smith

David Shaw

Lane Kiffin I wanted to see whose paying attention. Carry on.

Tony Dungy

Pete Carmichael

you almost got me, well played sir.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
uga dawg
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
They need aqb that doesn't mske wtf reads. Sure, Stafford makes some good reads, but then he throws and you are wondering wtf was that?

of course I'm biased since he's an UGA guy, but I feel I bring a pretty good point.

does he F it up sometimes? yeah, he does. some of that sidearm crap is stupid, and needs to be addressed. to go along with some of the stupid reads and mechanics, he would be a top canidate for one of the strongest arms in the leauge, though. he also can blister the defense when he gets going.

more than any other telling reason to stay with him is Calvin Johnsons receiving records, and stats that are compared to Jerry Rice. Stafford has been the guy delivering the pig for Calvin to get those numbers.

some may say that its Calvin making Stafford look good. However, Jerry Rice also did this for a guy who is considered by many to be the GOAT QB in the NFL.

Stafford is fine, he just needs someone to keep a leash on his mechanics. much in the same way that Cam Cameron did for Mettenberger.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
what do you guys think of the guy? for those who don't follow the NFL closely, he is the head coach for the Detroit Lions.

he inherited an 0-16 team in 2009, the teams record under him since that time is 29-50. however, the record the last three seasons is 21-26.

the guy has the talent to work with. some of his players include Matthew Stafford, Calvin (Megatron) Johnson, Reggie Bush, Nick Fairley, and Devin Taylor.

they have lost 5 of their last 6 games, and most of them have been after having a fair sized lead. they also have only been losing games by just a few points.

do you think the guy has been a major improvment for them, and just needs more time to build, since he is trending in the right direction over the last few years. also, since some of these loses are the result of only one or two plays?

do you think that he has enough talent there now, and should at least be making the playoffs, as well as winning these games after having such good leads.

I mean the Giants came back and beat them!

if you were the Fords, and owned the team, what would you do?
I question Bush and Bell as legitimate RB.....and who else do they have catching passes besides Megatron......and I think Stafford hears footsteps. Losing close games in the 4th quarter is on the coaches for the most part. Good teams win more than their share in the 4th quarter.....Dallas and Romo come to mind.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote