CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
ccured
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1868)
Can Tennessee get to (1278)
ESPN Article on HBC (1028)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (830)
Spread vs. aTm (769)
2 Crazy things (766)
Lindy's top 100 for (727)
Chick Redefines the (725)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (621)
The Bama series (506)
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo

Old 12-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #121
gamecox3
Architect ya lifestyle

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talonsgamecox3 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Victor Hampton to declare for the NFL draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel, Deagelo Hall, Charles Tillman, Troy Polamalu, Antonio Cromartie.

14 of the top 20 in career interceptions (ACTIVE) left school early...so I don't think how long a corner stays in school matters to NFL teams. Also the fact that most of the top CB's drafted leave early year in and year out.

And to your second point? If he cared about school he'd come back in the off-season and finish his degree like Darian Stuart, Tori Gurley, Syvelle Newton, and others have.
Listing players who have had success doesn't prove anything. For every Charles Woodson, there are 4 Ko Simpsons, Emmanuel Cook's, etc. who had tons of talent and needed an extra year to grow up (Please argue this point with me if you disagree). The statistic about 14 of the top 20 leaders in career interceptions doesn't do much either because it only speaks about the best of the best. I am not saying Vic doesn't have that kind of potential, but he should be planning for a future that doesn't depend on having longterm NFL success.
gamecox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #122
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I understand the difference between quick and fast. I will be shocked if Hampton runs a sub 4.5 at the combine. If he could, I think he would he ranked in the top 15 CB which he isn't. Only 14 CB out of 35 ran under 4.5 last year.
He's not ranked that high because he plays out of position and gives up too many big plays. He could have the speed of a gazelle and his undisciplined play would still drag him down.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #123
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 4400
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post
For every Charles Woodson, there are 4 Ko Simpsons, Emmanuel Cook's, etc. who had tons of talent and needed an extra year to grow up (Please argue this point with me if you disagree).
And for every DJ Swearinger who stayed and improved his stock there's 4 guys who stayed and didn't improve their draft stock...then some more who stayed and actually LOST draft stock...then a couple that stayed and got injured.

The situation is highly personal and you arguing about guys that did improve their draft stock isn't any more reasonable that someone else arguing about guys who didn't.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #124
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post
Listing players who have had success doesn't prove anything. For every Charles Woodson, there are 4 Ko Simpsons, Emmanuel Cook's, etc. who had tons of talent and needed an extra year to grow up (Please argue this point with me if you disagree). The statistic about 14 of the top 20 leaders in career interceptions doesn't do much either because it only speaks about the best of the best. I am not saying Vic doesn't have that kind of potential, but he should be planning for a future that doesn't depend on having longterm NFL success.
No, I agree 100% but my point was that players leave college early. 11 of the top 50 players (active) for interceptions were drafted in the 3rd round or later.

The fact that he can improve his stock (which any player who decides to stay can technically improve their stock) doesn't stop me from believing that the risk of staying doesn't outweigh the benefits from leaving (IF projected as a top 3 rounder).

My stat(s) only prove that people who leave college early, or drafted in the middle rounds of the draft have been known to succeed. While it's not at the success rate of first and second rounders, it's possible and not as rare as people make it out to be. This isn't the NBA where if your not drafted in the top 15 you're rarely ever heard from again.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #125
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
No, I agree 100% but my point was that players leave college early. 11 of the top 50 players (active) for interceptions were drafted in the 3rd round or later.

The fact that he can improve his stock (which any player who decides to stay can technically improve their stock) doesn't stop me from believing that the risk of staying doesn't outweigh the benefits from leaving (IF projected as a top 3 rounder).

My stat(s) only prove that people who leave college early, or drafted in the middle rounds of the draft have been known to succeed. While it's not at the success rate of first and second rounders, it's possible and not as rare as people make it out to be. This isn't the NBA where if your not drafted in the top 15 you're rarely ever heard from again.
real question for you - do you think Lattimore would have benefited from an extra year? I like arguing this with myself.

On one hand, he could've come back, rehabbed, and maybe seen a few games at the end of the season, torn it up like his freshman year, and gone higher.

On the other hand, it was likely he was never gonna play and by going early, he insured that he would have access to NFL caliber facilities, doctors, trainers, etc.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #126
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
real question for you - do you think Lattimore would have benefited from an extra year? I like arguing this with myself.

On one hand, he could've come back, rehabbed, and maybe seen a few games at the end of the season, torn it up like his freshman year, and gone higher.

On the other hand, it was likely he was never gonna play and by going early, he insured that he would have access to NFL caliber facilities, doctors, trainers, etc.

Honestly no. I think everyone that ever watched a healthy Lattimore play saw what he was fully capable of. Even after the first injury, you could see the dedication he made to get back on that field. And even though it took him a while to get back to somewhat his old form he worked hard at it, and never gave up, and was still a damn good back.

Do I think he'll ever be the Marcus Lattimore from 2010/2011? No. But I think he did enough in his 3 seasons here to prove to any NFL GM that he is worth the risk in the draft. I think he obviously could have come back and been great, but I don't think he could've improved his draft stock any. His knees were going to be the topic of discussion whether he decided to come out in 2012, or 2013 despite if he got injured again (makes me sick to even think about).
Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #127
50ktight
4-Star

Male

50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
I respectfully disagree. On the goal line end of game and run the option? Suspect at best IMO.
At that point in the game we were down 11 with under 10 minutes to go. I personally don't hate the call. You're putting the ball in a senior qb's hands who is known for his mobility with the option to pitch to an all-sec caliber back. It was really poor execution. Shaw pitched the ball too early and Corey Robinson fell over well, himself, without getting a block.

But to get to that point in the game there were several gaffs including a blown coverage on 3rd and 13 for an 85 yard TD, and a missed PAT which made the difference between a 10 and 11 point game. Even after UGA's 4th down stand we had them inside their own 1 yard line but allowed them to bleed the final 10minutes of the game behind the legs of...Brendan Douglas.

I personally do not think we deserved to win that game. It was a total team loss (players and coaches).
50ktight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #128
BlakelyH19
4-Star

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

I will hold out hope until it's someone other than the bleacher report reporting it
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #129
50ktight
4-Star

Male

50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in50ktight has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post

I do not think Lattimore should have come back.

Like you said he was able to rehab under NFL caliber conditions/medical staffs and he was able to receive that care while getting paid. If he had come back and played the last few games he would have been rusty. It would have seemed like he lost a step, odds are he would have understandably been somewhat timid, and worst of all he would have come back before he was 100% healthy. The unfortunate reality is that the moment he suffered his second knee injury, his draft stock's ceiling lowered considerably. I could not be happier for Marcus' current situation considering the hand he was dealt. He is with a good organization with solid depth/no need to hurry his rehab, and can get the tutelage from a guy who has been in Marcus' shoes in Frank Gore.
50ktight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #130
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

This is also a done deal. Vic is gone.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #131
eklypised
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1467
eklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudlyeklypised is crowing loudly

Ya sucks Vic's gone to...
eklypised is offline   Reply With Quote