CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ccured
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
The Yancey
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
i29gman
Thenardier
Lalli25
sporkgod50
Stadium Ratings-Site (745)
Construction of Worl (377)
Peach Bowl name retu (362)
NBA Wants to Up Age (361)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (332)
Save Electricity By (327)
HELP calculating acr (276)
How Experienced In P (222)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (146)
40 Ways You Know You (144)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Name a Gamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
What is your perfect egg?
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB

Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
uscjeremynca
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: One and done has killed college basketball

It was mentioned above that players should go pro out of HS or stay 3 years in college. Some of you like the one and done and others argue that CBB isn't the same as CFB. However, many of you forget that going pro out of HS or going to college for three years is EXACTLY the rule in college baseball. Not sure why basketball couldn't be the same way.

The only downside to this could be parity. UNC, Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, etc will still get the great players. So they could make longer runs over a course of years rather than having to reload each season. With that being said, more players may choose to go somewhere else if they know there's a guy in front of them that will be there 3 years and they want to start immediately.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
They need to go back to letting them turn pro out of high school. If they go to college they need to stay for at least 3 years.
^^^ This
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Basically you're angry that we aren't good.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
^^^ This
Disagree. The attention will just focus down to the high school level and you will have players transferring to dynasty high schools and the NCAAs will become irrelevant. Sort of a JV league. That's why they require the 1 year commitment.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
The NBA just does a bad job in general with the D-League. It's seen as a demotion rather than an enhancement. If you're a star freshman recruit, I could see why you wouldn't want to go to the D-League, and why college would be more preferrable.

At college you get to live one last year as a kid, have fun, go to parties, be a BMOC, etc. Then you get the opportunity to compete for an NCAA Championship which is better than competing for a D-League Championship lol.

Either way there's a lot of confusion about the rule. Nobody is forced to go to college, but in comparison it's the best option. Taking a year off leads to more questions about someone's game since they haven't played against great competition since graduating high school.
Yeah, they don't do well with the D league at all. To me, with better management and marketing, they could really turn it into something that isn't thought of as a demotion. A lot of untapped potential there.

Seems to me that most one and comes don't really care about going to college...just a means to an end. I would think they could convince kids to come get paid then go to the NBA.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I think it's actually set by the NBA players Assc. I've heard Commissioner Stern talk about this subject and he basically say, "Don't complain about it to me. Talk to the union."
Stern originally wanted a two year rule (if I recall correctly, it was that the player had to be 20 years old to draft eligible). The players didn't want any restrictions at all. Columbia's own Jermaine O'Neal was very vocal and critical about the rule. The union finally agreed to the one and done rule in the CBA in exchange for the owners modifying the salary cap structure to better benefit the players.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Disagree. The attention will just focus down to the high school level and you will have players transferring to dynasty high schools and the NCAAs will become irrelevant. Sort of a JV league. That's why they require the 1 year commitment.
It was like that for years where players could turn pro right out of high school. If they went to college they had to stay for 3 years. I think it worked much better than the current situation.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #28
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

I'm not a fan of Basketball period, and even I agree with the OP. The only problem with this is the three year rule guarantee's dynasties. Basketball, as played now (wholly owned by Vegas) is the most predictable sport of the (i guess) 4 major sports in the nation according to Sports bookies. When an underdog wins in Basketball, it's huge payouts, more than any of the other 3 sports.

Before I'll even considering watching basketball. there should be a 1 point zone, a 2 point zone, and a 3 point zone. Let them get a bit rough during the play as far as elbow's and hands are concerned and get rid of the foul out rule, not including technicals or gross flagrants.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
It was like that for years where players could turn pro right out of high school. If they went to college they had to stay for 3 years. I think it worked much better than the current situation.
I agree it should be just like college baseball. You have a chance to go pro but if u decide on college then you should have to be removed from hs for 3yrs before going pro.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #30
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

yea, the rule is absolutely absurd and hurts all parties involved a lot of the time (athlete, team, school, league, NCAA, NBA, etc.). One of these years, if this doesn't change, some BIG time kid is just gonna say screw this to the NCAA and go to Europe a la Brandon Jennings and it's gonna turn a lot of heads. I am still surprised that more kids don't follow in Jennings' shoes.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I don't mind it.

With the increase in ability of these kids now days, atleast you actually see them play in college.
IMO guys like John Wall, Anthony Davis, Andrew Wiggins, Kyrie Irving, Derek Rose etc would have just jumped to the pros had it been like it used to.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

thank goodness their are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft or more kids would go pro after 1 year

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote