CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Roosterdog
F4rpoole
Lalli25
CockTail
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
B-G
JaxcockFL
gotrice?
Cocklover
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1325)
Byron the bunny...fe (559)
The #AskEmmert Q& (462)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Shameless self promo (320)
One thing I was glad (181)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (173)
Peach Bowl name retu (169)
Construction of Worl (108)
Save Electricity By (102)
What is your perfect egg?
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Amazon Fire TV
Where will we be preseaso
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
2014 Gamecock Football Po

Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
IslandCock
Go! Fight! Win! Kick ASS!

Male

CockyCash: 13701490
IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly
Default Tight Ends under utilized this season?

Going into the season I felt that we were very stacked at TE and that we'd lean on those assets heavily. I didn't compare stats from previous years - so this may just be a perception thing - but I don't feel that the offensive gameplans gave them many looks.

A lot of this may have been the result of good WR play, but I feel that we can better exploit the talents of those big bodies. Not meant to be a knock on the coaching staff - just my personal thoughts on the difference of my expectations going into the season against how it turned out.
IslandCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4
Default Re: Tight Ends under utilized this season?

I feel like we have this discussion every year

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Rory didn't have a TD if I am correct. That's a problem
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
IslandCock

Male

IslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudlyIslandCock is crowing loudly

Feel like we don't have a TE pass play in the red zone to generate more TDs - we used to consistently throw it to Weslye in those situations.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 200
InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
IslandCock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
Maybe so, but when were we last this deep at the position.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post

A problem? How is it a problem? Did we not go 10-2? A problem would indicate that something different could've been done to get a better result. While of course we could've thrown to a TE at Georgia and scored, hindsight is 20/20.

*Georgia: We gained positive yards on every run play from the shotgun formation EXCEPT FOR one (and you know which one that is). Also, people that say that lining up in the I-formation is better because you run downhill - it works the same exactly way in shotgun formations - the only difference is when the ball is received by the back.

There is no problem. Did we not utilize them? Sure we didn't. But it's not like we didn't when we should've or didn't and lost because of it...
Old 12-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

TE has never been an integral part of Spurrier's system. Sure, we have TE's make plays here and there, and Busta was great in the red zone in 2012, but that's never been a unit that makes a big impact game in and game out. I wish we would use them more, but with the amount of weapons we have on the outside, I can see why they weren't used as much this year.

Also, in reference to a previous poster, Adams caught a TD pass against MSU (I believe) this year, so the TE was used in the red zone, although very little.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
He dropped at least 2 TD passes. Rory had several drops this year. I think that led to Connor looking to other options. There are routes for the TEin most pass plays. It's up to the QB where the ball goes.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
A problem? How is it a problem? Did we not go 10-2? A problem would indicate that something different could've been done to get a better result. While of course we could've thrown to a TE at Georgia and scored, hindsight is 20/20.

*Georgia: We gained positive yards on every run play from the shotgun formation EXCEPT FOR one (and you know which one that is). Also, people that say that lining up in the I-formation is better because you run downhill - it works the same exactly way in shotgun formations - the only difference is when the ball is received by the back.

There is no problem. Did we not utilize them? Sure we didn't. But it's not like we didn't when we should've or didn't and lost because of it...

Words.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post

to each his own
Old 12-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
He dropped at least 2 TD passes. Rory had several drops this year. I think that led to Connor looking to other options. There are routes for the TEin most pass plays. It's up to the QB where the ball goes.
I realize that, but with his big play ability and red zone mismatches, he should be scoring TD's. It's on the QBs, the coaches, him on the drops. The TE's could've been used better IMO, that's all I am saying
Old 12-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3861799
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Yes
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You guys have to get over this. The tight ends will never be what you think they should be. Spurrier's offense just doesn't cater to them when he has a good receiver corp.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

If I recall correctly, injury played a large role regarding the reduced use of TE plays at least in the first half of the season.
C2 is right on the money...recalled frustrated Saunders' public comments/call "give me the ball" at one time or the order during his good times here.
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
You guys have to get over this. The tight ends will never be what you think they should be. Spurrier's offense just doesn't cater to them when he has a good receiver corp.
Percent of completions by TE-

2013: 13.4%
2012: 18.2%
2011: 13.6%
2010: 11.5%
2009: 14.7%
2008: 21.2%
2007: 19.9%

We've been fairly consistent since 2009.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
uscsandstorm85
Bowl MVP

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

These threads are supposed to appear after the bowl game.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #18
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

It could be true that our Tight Ends are not a big part of the package in SOS total offensive scheme, but with the talent that we have, then maybe he should take another look at putting them in more and more. I know per what Tommy Suggs stated in the Clemson game that our tight ends were open just about every passing play during that game and we did not throw to them. I am no offensive play caller, but if Tommy Suggs saw this, then maybe SOS needs to pay heed to what Tommy Suggs was saying and start looking to your tight ends more. Just a thought as I know that we were 10-2 for the year, but maybe if you had thrown more to your tight ends you could have been 11-1 or 12-0. I do believe that SOS is not above considering it if someone in his circle points it out to him enough. What could it hurt.

dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #19
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
It could be true that our Tight Ends are not a big part of the package in SOS total offensive scheme, but with the talent that we have, then maybe he should take another look at putting them in more and more. I know per what Tommy Suggs stated in the Clemson game that our tight ends were open just about every passing play during that game and we did not throw to them. I am no offensive play caller, but if Tommy Suggs saw this, then maybe SOS needs to pay heed to what Tommy Suggs was saying and start looking to your tight ends more. Just a thought as I know that we were 10-2 for the year, but maybe if you had thrown more to your tight ends you could have been 11-1 or 12-0. I do believe that SOS is not above considering it if someone in his circle points it out to him enough. What could it hurt.

I know at this point, SOS isn't going to change....but the tight end is the hardest person to defend...DB are too small and LB aren't fast/agile enough. The reason Suggs was right is we are very predictable not throwing to the TE so they aren't going to guard them until we start throwing to them. In the post of above, we only complete a pass to a TE about 1 out of every 7 completions.......that's 1 out of every 12 pass attempts.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Were the tight ends open this year?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote