CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ertman420
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
GarnetSwarm1990
JerseyBird
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
RGHoskins
rosstheboss
thekob
Mangus now coaching (1045)
Can Tennessee get to (830)
Chick Redefines the (485)
2 Crazy things (450)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (436)
ESPN Article on HBC (428)
Spread vs. aTm (392)
The Bama series (345)
Lindy's top 100 for (341)
Ronald McDonald Gets (158)
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
2001 vs Sandstorm
2016 Thon Marker
Clowney's NFL Draft Promo
Mangus now coaching TEs
Connor Shaw: Atlanta, Cle
2 Crazy things
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Spurrier would take Clown

Old 12-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #101
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default Re: Ticket sales going well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I don't care about that, you are not looking at my point. The BCS puts out rankings of the top teams in the country, then DOESN'T USE their own rankings for putting the best 10 teams in the country in the top paying/top tier bowl games.

Do you not see the stupidity in this logic?

That would be like me putting out a final rankings, and then selecting teams ranked 5 and 12 to play in the National Championship. While the BCS would never do that for the National Championship, they decided that one of the 4 best bowls outside of it should just skip top 10 ranked teams to let the 15th best team play in it due to STUPID rules.

I've always thought this, and not just because we jot skipped the past 2 years.
The BCS bowl games are not about the best teams in the country. They are about conference tie-ins and $$.

There is only one bowl game that matters: the BCS National Championship. ALL other bowl games are meaningless. The BCS bowls are no different than any other bowl game. The only reason people think that the BCS bowl games are something special is because they've been slapped with the label "BCS Bowl Games." But that label doesn't make them any better or more important. They're meaningless.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #102
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMr X View Post
I'll take ucf by 10
If Baylor wins you have to have a Auburn sig and avatar of my choosing, if UCF wins I have to have a SC sig and avatar of your choosing. Wanna bet?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #103
Rooster'srule
Recruit

Male

Rooster'srule has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
The BCS bowl games are not about the best teams in the country. They are about conference tie-ins and $$.

There is only one bowl game that matters: the BCS National Championship. ALL other bowl games are meaningless. The BCS bowls are no different than any other bowl game. The only reason people think that the BCS bowl games are something special is because they've been slapped with the label "BCS Bowl Games." But that label doesn't make them any better or more important. They're meaningless.
They are about 10 million meaningless dollars more!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #104
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

The BSC bowls all payout around 18 million to each school. The Capital One bowl is next at around 4.2 million per team. The 14 million per team difference isn't meaningless.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #105
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
The BSC bowls all payout around 18 million to each school. The Capital One bowl is next at around 4.2 million per team. The 14 million per team difference isn't meaningless.
The Southeastern Conference (SEC) gets that money and splits it evenly among it's member institutions.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #106
Thenardier
Starter

Male

Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
The Southeastern Conference (SEC) gets that money and splits it evenly among it's member institutions.
Almost. The teams that partake in the bowls get 10% of the money + travel expenses, then the rest is sent to the SEC and divided up.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #107
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCox View Post
I was at the military bowl yesterday. There were about 30,200 fans according to the media, but it seemed like more. It was a good time for the 4 kids I had in tote, all boys. Basically these bowl games are a fun time for the fans and players. The game itself was almost an afterthought yesterday with all the activities they had to do. I am sure the Capital One will be even a bigger outing. If I were closer I would go. I just can't afford to buy the tickets and travel, hotel, and meals. That's why it's good they have the bowls spread out over the east coast and Texas. If you can afford it or live in FL yeah support the Gamecocks. I went out and supported MD yesterday against Marshall. I wore my Gamecock hooded and got lots of "Go Cocks" from the crowd there.
Good post....thanks for sharing. I guess one of the reasons there was a good crowd was because Maryland playing in Annapolis.

Annapolis is one of the nicest towns in the country.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #108
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I don't have a problem with them being in the bowl. I have a problem with the BCS not allowing the best teams in the best bowls. The BCS bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, National Championship) should feature the top 10 in the BCS. How does teams ranked in the top 10 get skipped for CUSA teams?

Which is why I can't wait for SOS to actually mean something.
It's all about trying to distribute money as evenly as they can to the major conferences.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #109
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

bcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spursbcolinc has earned his spurs

So.....how are ticket sales? Lol
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #110
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

So basically the sugar bowl is the same as the Beef O Brady's Bowl?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #111
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
It's all about trying to distribute money as evenly as they can to the major conferences.

Exactly the problem with the BCS. It's political and ruins the format. You don't see the NCAA saying, oh hey big east we can only let 2 big east teams in the elite 8 this year - sorry! Or hey SEC we can only let 2 teams go to omaha this year - sorry!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #112
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
So basically the sugar bowl is the same as the Beef O Brady's Bowl?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #113
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Wisconsin is counting on their Florida contingent to make up for the many who have opted not to attend the game.

"As of last Wednesday, UW had used only 3,800 of its ticket allotment of 12,500. That included roughly 3,400 tickets sold to the general public and about 400 for the team. South Carolina had reportedly used about 9,000 of its allotment, according to a story on the website for The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C.

A spokesman for the UW athletic department did not respond to a phone message Thursday for updated ticket sales numbers.

Ed Mani, president of Burkhalter Travel in Madison, said a second-tier bowl is going to have less interest than the Rose Bowl. His company sponsors charter flights when the Badgers play in the Rose Bowl but not for other bowls, including the Capital One, he said.

Edwards, who’ll meet two friends who live in Florida for the game and festivities, said the university will get heavy support from its Florida alumni community."

http://www.wiscnews.com/reedsburgtim...3d166b176.html