CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
MWard
ertman420
usc90grad
Cunningham wants to (1207)
ESPN article on Clow (863)
Clemson Georgia Game (702)
New Led Zep releases (158)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (157)
Truly Inspiring (156)
2014 garnet and blac (100)
Chick Redefines the (80)
The Bama series (39)
2 tickets for USC vs (12)
Spread vs. aTm
The Bama series
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
SEC Network "Take It
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta

Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #61
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bruce Ellington to declare for NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
...Nah....If he gets a strong 2 round grade he is gone and rightfully so.....

I agree with this statement and would add the top three rounds are certainly great reasons for players to go early.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #62
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Cousin Andre' Ellington did not get drafted until round 6. Bruce knows what kind of money 6th round yields.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #63
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I think Bear Bryant is a big reason for that.
Not surprising Bear Bryant didn't have many things he wouldn't do to win. I have very little respect for him. The whole junction boys things is a flipping joke and the guy shouldn't be glorified for his nehavior during that.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #64
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

That would be unfortunate.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #65
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
Not to sound completely stupid, but the Basketball team could use him this year!

of course it sounds completely stupid!
I highly disagree, I think the guys we got need need all the pt possible to develop, and they are already as good if not better than him

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #66
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
If he can be a receiver in the NFL now then he can if he stays one more year. If he goes, I'd be willing to bet there will be a game next year we say, if only we had Bruce ala Ace in the Tennessee game. We need him to come back.
Or he could blow out his knee playing basketball or football and see what stock he has plummet.

You don't think any player should leave early, ever. We get it. I'm sure you would say Clowney should stay for another year as well. It's selfish reasoning. If Bruce goes be appreciative of all the amazing ways he represented the university in multiple sports and all of the wonderful plays he made during his time here. Be happy he chose to play at South Carolina and that he's a young man who has the potential to fulfill his dreams and support his family.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #67
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Or he could blow out his knee playing basketball or football and see what stock he has plummet.

You don't think any player should leave early, ever. We get it. I'm sure you would say Clowney should stay for another year as well. It's selfish reasoning. If Bruce goes be appreciative of all the amazing ways he represented the university in multiple sports and all of the wonderful plays he made during his time here. Be happy he chose to play at South Carolina and that he's a young man who has the potential to fulfill his dreams and support his family.

No! That's too reasonable! If you come here we mandate that you stay 4 years, unless you're redshirted because then it's 5 years! And possibly 6 years if you're redshirted and granted a medical waiver!

Sent from iPhone, please excuse minor grammatical errors.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #68
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

To be honest I really don't like the fact that college football has become a "puppy mill" for the NFL. But it is what it is and we have to play under the same rules that everyone else is upposed to play under. (obviously that doesn't happen, but thats another story). It would be nice to be able to get players, redshirt them a year, let them sit behind a starter for a year, then have a couple of years to become great, but most kids are looking for instant gratification and aren't willing to do that anymore.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #69
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
The division 1 "clock" is continuous so if he left for football he could not comeback to play D-1 basketball even though he had a year left. He would have to drop to D-2 and at that point what's the point?
Is this only if you leave for football because you have guys leave D1 baseball play pro baseball and then come back to play D1 football? Honest question as I don't know if the rule is different for football.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #70
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

His cousin Andre is the one he is looking at.
He saw him be a projected 4th rounder and drop to the sixth round.
He also just spent Christmas with him and saw him come up to his grandmas house with a nice car and see what playing in the nfl can do for you. Even if it's being a sixth round pick.

He also did graduate in 3 and 1/2 years so he can look at it as he has done everything he set out to do in college.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #71
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Is this only if you leave for football because you have guys leave D1 baseball play pro baseball and then come back to play D1 football? Honest question as I don't know if the rule is different for football.
Once you start playing a sport, the eligibility clock starts.

If he leaves, he is done.

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #72
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknblue View Post
Once you start playing a sport, the eligibility clock starts.

If he leaves, he is done.
Once you enroll in college, your clock starts ticking. So..a guy(or girl) can't enroll in college at FSU and not play, then go to grad school at Duke and play, unless his 5 year window to play 4 is not completely up.

Folks that played baseball and come back to play football never enrolled in college.

this is how I understand it.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #73
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Like someone else said, those guys who played pro baseball, like a Brandon Weeden, never went to college. They we t straight out of high school and played then came back to football after the baseball career ended. It's like guys who serve in the military who then go to college and play. Once you set foot in a college classroom, as a full time student, you have 5 years to play 4 seasons in each sport.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #74
i29gman
Blue Chip

Male

i29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his combi29gman is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
His cousin Andre is the one he is looking at.
He saw him be a projected 4th rounder and drop to the sixth round.
He also just spent Christmas with him and saw him come up to his grandmas house with a nice car and see what playing in the nfl can do for you. Even if it's being a sixth round pick.

He also did graduate in 3 and 1/2 years so he can look at it as he has done everything he set out to do in college.
Good point about having already earned his degree. Most students leave college after they earn their degree. Why should student athletes be any different. Maybe Bruce just wants to get on with the next phase of his life. NOTHING wrong with that and best of luck to a great Gamecock no matter what he decides.
i29gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #75
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
I don't think so.
Those guys usually were drafted out of HS and never played college sports. (Chris Weinke and Brandon Weeden are 2 examples) so their clock never began.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #76
Cockyteg
4-Star

Male

Cockyteg has hatched from the shell

well my heart just sank

Cockyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gman View Post
Good point about having already earned his degree. Most students leave college after they earn their degree. Why should student athletes be any different. Maybe Bruce just wants to get on with the next phase of his life. NOTHING wrong with that and best of luck to a great Gamecock no matter what he decides.

It's actually not that good of a point, there have been a good bit of players who return after getting their degree.

Wasn't Kenny Mikes one of them?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #78
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 855000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I want Bruce to come back... That being said... He has to do what is right for his family. I, like many others wish him the best
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #79
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
It's actually not that good of a point, there have been a good bit of players who return after getting their degree.

Wasn't Kenny Mikes one of them?
Who's Kenny Mikes? I kid, I kid.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #80
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Can't blame him if he's confident he's going in one of the first 3 rounds. But I hope he comes back. This will kill us next year.