CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
Lalli25
Acockolypse Now
bigdog2003
tigertime86
ertman420
JerseyBird
CoverTwo
Victor Hampton Arres (2051)
Diamond DeSheilds, U (927)
how has more ESPN an (739)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (546)
Gamecock Legacy recr (511)
Attendance next seas (424)
purchasing football (330)
Honeymoon recommenda (269)
$15 home AC (236)
Women's bb - Deshiel (206)
A'ja Wilson
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
Women's bb - Deshields to
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
boiled peanuts
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
purchasing football ticke
what happens if you run o

Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #301
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - D.J. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yet again, we start leading for someone and all of a sudden they aren't "takes" for other people. This is getting too predictable.
Said this on 12/10...and please reference my signature.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #302
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 219460
elcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talonselcid99 has developed his gaff and talons

I do love these programs who claim they don't have room for him. IMO, this kid will excell @ Carolina. He can start off @ DB & either stay at the position or grow into a safety or possibly a SPUR. I don't care-the kid is a flat player.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #303
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

From Rivals. Vols are full at DB unless your name is Adoree Jackson due to him being able to be a two way player.

5. DB D.J. Smith, Marietta (Ga.) Walton
Status: With Tennessee's class nearly at capacity and full of defensive backs, it seems as if the long-time favorite Vols have cooled on the nation's No. 123 prospect. That leaves Clemson and South Carolina as the likely destination for the physical defensive back. South Carolina has made a big move over the past few weeks and will host Smith for an official visit the weekend of Jan. 17. An official visit to Clemson will likely follow so the two on-field rivals will face-off for one of the top remaining prospects in the Southeast. Clemson has some ground to make up with South Carolina the current hot option, but expect this one to come down to the end.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #304
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

^^ another one saying they are "too full"
Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #305
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
^^ another one saying they are "too full"
Have trouble with the truth?

That is a national article, not from a TN writer.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #306
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

That is the way it goes some times. Some of the best players like to take their time, but schools don't want to wait for them. I think some schools are in love with the idea of getting a bunch of commitments right away because they need that as a recruiting tool and to keep their fans appeased.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #307
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Have trouble with the truth?

That is a national article, not from a TN writer.
LOL, whatever makes you feel better.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #308
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
From Rivals. Vols are full at DB unless your name is Adoree Jackson due to him being able to be a two way player.

5. DB D.J. Smith, Marietta (Ga.) Walton
Status: With Tennessee's class nearly at capacity and full of defensive backs, it seems as if the long-time favorite Vols have cooled on the nation's No. 123 prospect. That leaves Clemson and South Carolina as the likely destination for the physical defensive back. South Carolina has made a big move over the past few weeks and will host Smith for an official visit the weekend of Jan. 17. An official visit to Clemson will likely follow so the two on-field rivals will face-off for one of the top remaining prospects in the Southeast. Clemson has some ground to make up with South Carolina the current hot option, but expect this one to come down to the end.
This article is so wrong. Clemson was the long time leader for Smith, not UT. All the analysts and writers know that except for this guy apparently. Clemson may have burned their bridges when pulling their offer after visiting USC. It was USC who made up the ground.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #309
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
This article is so wrong. Clemson was the long time leader for Smith, not UT. Clemson may have burned their bridges when pulling their offer after visiting USC. It was USC who made up the ground.
You put 2 and 2 together. They pulled the offer when they thought they weren't going to get him, so they can use the spot on going after someone else. Clemson has "no room for him" because they decided he wasn't going there so they immediately designated his scholarship for someone else. You don't just pass on a DB of this caliber. He is the kind of DB that Bama likes to have playing for them. Bama may not have room for him, but Clemson and Tennessee would make it.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #310
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
This article is so wrong. Clemson was the long time leader for Smith, not UT. All the analysts and writers know that except for this guy apparently. Clemson may have burned their bridges when pulling their offer after visiting USC. It was USC who made up the ground.
I actually do agree that this article isn't correct saying TN was the "longtime favorite".

But I do think we are full at DB (especially S which our coaches think DJ would play).

So anyway, good luck at getting him!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #311
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
I actually do agree that this article isn't correct saying TN was the "longtime favorite".

But I do think we are full at DB (especially S which our coaches think DJ would play).

I know UT is full at that position. I was criticizing the writer. Sometimes a national writer doesn't know the whole recruiting history of a player when the writer is obviously trying figure out where the last good ones are going. If he hasn't followed the player from the beginning, he won't know the complete history.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #312
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I know UT is full at that position. I was criticizing the writer. Sometimes a national writer doesn't know the whole recruiting history of a player when the writer is obviously trying figure out where the last good ones are going. If he hasn't followed the player from the beginning, he won't know the complete history.
Agreed.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #313
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I don't care if Clemson and UT are "full." Smith is a hell of a player, and their loss can be our gain. Really hope we land this guy.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #314
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

This is the point, EV, it keeps happening over and over. Who had the Vols pegged as his favorite??? Now that its obvious he's going elsewhere, you "cool" on him.

Good grief.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #315
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
This is the point, EV, it keeps happening over and over. Who had the Vols pegged as his favorite??? Now that its obvious he's going elsewhere, you "cool" on him.

Good grief.
From what I understand we were the favorite for maybe like a month early in the summer. Then Clemson, SC and others got involved and it evened out or even SC/Clemson took the lead.

Around that time we landed TKJr., Gaulden and Cortez McDowell. Since then I don't think we've been very active.

I think people writing articles like this are either 1 of two things.

1. Poor at their job and haven't done the research to know what the full story is

or what I think is much more likely

2. Desperate for hits on their website and will say anything to get people to view their articles.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #316
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I don't care if Clemson and UT are "full." Smith is a hell of a player, and their loss can be our gain. Really hope we land this guy.
Tennessee had to take the Berry boys, but I think Smith is better, and I think he would be better at CB.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #317
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 0
roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

The vols are pushing for any and everybody and I don't see them dialing it back anytime soon
roosterdude21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #318
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Hop on board DJ!! Need you to come do work at DBU!
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #319
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

When a school says they're full and don't have room for a kid like Smith, it either means he was never going there, and/or they can't judge talent and made mistakes by taking lesser players above him.

I have no idea whether he'll play CB, S or LB.....what I do know is that he can run, he can tackle well, and he will take your head off.....after that, it doesn't really matter. He and Darin Smalls will make a great pair of hitters.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #320
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
The vols are pushing for any and everybody and I don't see them dialing it back anytime soon
how? I could've SWORN I read on here that they only had room from like 1 or 2 more, max.

Regardless, come on down DJ. Be a part of the greatest tradition there is, Gamecock Nation
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote